The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Christchurch Earthquakes (New Zealand)

Residents are reporting bodies lying in the streets of Christchurch following this afternoon's magnitude 6.3 earthquake.

Police said fatalities had been reported at several locations and that two buses had been crushed by falling buildings. Christchurch mayor Bob Parker has declared a state of emergency.

Christchurch resident Jaydn Katene told the Herald: "We've had friends in town call us and say there are just bodies lying around; lots of dead bodies outside shops just lying there just covered in bricks.

"When it hit we were knocked to our feet. Everything in the house fell down, nothing was left still standing. There's more damage than the first earthquake, the roads are completely torn up; sewage coming up and flooding. It's crazy."

"The elderly are all crying. The next-door neighbours around us were all bawling their eyes out, it was horrible. People can't get out of their houses," said Mr Katene.

"We've seen cars halfway sunken into the road. We've heard there's a bus which is sunken halfway into the road just around the corner.

"Buildings are half-collapsed everywhere.

"It smells horrible. The roads are packed with cars. There aren't enough police or ambulances. Houses are all collapsing. It's pretty shocking; a total warzone."

24 people were also trapped on the 17th floor of a building.

I've just heard the news, not sure if many of you know anything about Christchurch (some of Lord of the Rings was set here) or New Zealand but it's just terrible :/ It's really effected me! These earthquakes have been going on for months now and so many things have been demolished but noone's died or been in serious danger till today.

yeah, it's very sad Kimberley. :( They haven't even had time enough to recover from the first earthquake and they get hit again just a few months later. I real feel for the people of Christchurch and pray that this is the last of it and there are as few fatalities as possible given today's events. :sob:

It was the first thing I heard when I woke up this morning and listened to the news on the radio. :sob: Been following reports during the day, it's just so devastating! My thoughts went immediately to my friends in Nelson and to you!

Why is this happening? It's so awful how hit Christchurch has been these past 6 months.

Just heard about it on the news, it sounds terrible, just hope that the number of deaths won't get any worse. It must have been very frightening for the people there.

Also hope that any New Zealanders we have on this site and their families/friends are ok.

I first saw the news when I woke up this morning from a tweet by Hayley Westenra, it's her home town so I do know a bit about the city and that it was also hit in December. I have been following the story on the radio all day while I have been at work and my thoughts are with all those who have been affected by this tragedy.

I know people have been saying this for the past two thousand years, but it's gotta make you think. With more and more natural disasters, things escalating in the middle east, birds falling out of the sky, global economic unrest etc. you wonder if this is the end of times.