The Emma-Watson.net Forum

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ten Commandments - are they relevant today ?

In the New Testament, it says there are just 2 Commandments:

1. Love your Lord God over everything else

2. Love your neighbor

As sirbenedictvs, the first 3 seem to have been chucked aside. And the rest is followed.

To all Christians, what do you guys think of Leviticus 19:28?

Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD

To all Christians, what do you guys think of Leviticus 19:28?

Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD

That was a rule for Judea, in that point of time of course. But, I can't say for sure if that's bad nowadays, I personally think the tattoos are horrible.

Your logic is kind of twisted right there xD. The fact that there are so many Christian denominations is not because there's no a true interpretation of the Bible, but because there are a lot of false interpretations of th Bible.

Isn't that kind of saying the same thing? Either way everyone interprets it in a diff way and there's no proof one way is the right one.

Speaking of Leviticus. I saw an episode of Family Guy where Peter turned gay. Stewie quoted Leviticus 18:22, I looked it up thinking something totally different and it literally states that God hates homosexuality. Times have changed since...

My friend smokes weed. I saw him go from such an intelligent boy with loads of motivation and potential to a person who blew off school, ran away from home and had no motivation to anything what so ever. Plus I never said anything about alcohol, I hate alcohol and wish we never had it because it does ruin lives I know.

Weed burns something like 40 times hotter that smokes, and causes throat cancer a lot quicker.

Im mainly against prostitution because I think is morally wrong and disgusting.

You cannot use your friend as a pin up of how the entire weed user population are. Come on. If your doing it, so will i. My friend who is currently studying for his PHD, smokes Weed as much as he does cigarettes. He is incredibly intelligent, so i am sorry your wrong.

And sorry but your wrong again, weed doesnt have tar in it. Cigarettes have tar, tar is the killer and the main cause for lung cancer/throat cancer. More people die from cigarette use than weed use, and im not generalising.

yet again, this has nothing to do with religion.

And sorry but your wrong again, weed doesnt have tar in it. Cigarettes have tar, tar is the killer and the main cause for lung cancer/throat cancer. More people die from cigarette use than weed use, and im not generalising.

Actually, it does. Anything burnt and smoked produces tar. The build-up of smoke itself creates problems, it doesn't matter what is being smoked. Hell if I pluck a handful of dried leaves from the tree outside and smoke that, it'll still product tar and ash. People don't die from marijuana use compared to cigarettes 'cause not many people if at all smoke joints 15 times a day. I smoke about 10-12 cigarettes a day (low compared to the average smoker) and even that's a high number of joints of weed smoked in a day. That would be pretty darn expensive too. There also haven't been any studies done on that due to legality of such a study so unless someone would be willing to smoke 20 joints a day for 20 years in Amsterdam, we won't surely know compared to equivalent use in tobacco smoking.

I'm not continuing this debate on marijuana because this is the wrong thread. Can we get back to talking and/or debating about Christianity?

I never said that it has tar in it, but the fact that it burns so much hotter than cigarettes burns the throat and causes cancer, not the tar.

No, that would be God.

Jesus would treat them with kindness, and invite them to his table.

Didn't I just mention the Trinity? God is Jesus, Jesus is God. Jesus, the Father and the Holy Spirit are three persons in one God.

A little off topic here, but I'd like to bring up Paradise Lost and Milton's view of the Devil, heaven, and the ultimate sin that Adam and Eve committed. I just read some of the books (excerpts for my English class) and it's really interesting to me to see the progression of Satan and his thoughts towards the Garden of Eden. At some points, he actually has remorse for what he has done and regrets his downfall, but he still continues on. Milton also thinks of women as the ultimate sinner, and inferior, and blah blah blah, but the point is pretty valid (my feminist mum would shoot me right now lol). But yeah. Not having read *all* of the books, and what I have read being in modern english instead of the middle english originally, I feel that I didn't get as much out of it as I could have. But I'd like to hear all of your thoughts on it, and if you don't know what it's about, here's a quick summary:

It's a VERY long poem by John Milton writte in the 1600's.

It's about how Satan became the devil from being an archangel.

He was dissatisfied with his time in heaven because he had to *ask* for what he wanted.

There was a civil war in heaven...that part gets a bit complicated and I don't know exactly how that went down.

Thoughts, opinions, comments?

It was always interesting than differ Orthodox and Catholic traditions. Belief as a matter of fact one but other interpretation of the bible. We trust in one God but different churches and other ceremonies, all differently.

It was always interesting than differ Orthodox and Catholic traditions. Belief as a matter of fact one but other interpretation of the bible. We trust in one God but different churches and other ceremonies, all differently.

My mom is Jewish, and the rest of my family are Christians or Atheists. I consider myself Episcopalian, but go to a Unitarian church.

I think there's only one God, he just wears different hats.

The split between Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches occurred as a disagreement on the worship of icons (i.e. relics). At least that's the biggest thing I took out but obviously there were other differences in worship between the two. The split happened I think around the 11th or 12th century. Both sects lay claim to be the original and one true Church. Other than that, I do not know much more but it's definitely interesting to learn about.

Roman Catholicism had its roots when the Roman emperor Constantine declared Christianity as the state religion of the Roman Empire (on his deathbed by the way; Constantine was not a Christian). Catholicism did exist in the Roman Empire before Constantine but were persecuted, particularly by Nero Caesar.

As a Catholic, we abide strictly by the Nicene Creed and we trace our beginnings to St. Peter, one of Jesus Christ's 12 apostles and regarded by Catholics to be the first Bishop of Rome aka Pope. Pentecost was the real birth of Christianity after the execution of Jesus. However, there were still differences among the apostles in the methods of worship in the early Christian Church. An example was differences between Peter and Thomas. Peter wanted to worship whilst maintaining Jewish traditions whereas Thomas (as well as Paul later) wanted to worship with a distinct separation from Judaism. Catholicism created a home in Rome and established its Holy See declaring Rome's authority among Catholics.

A little off topic here, but I'd like to bring up Paradise Lost and Milton's view of the Devil, heaven, and the ultimate sin that Adam and Eve committed. I just read some of the books (excerpts for my English class) and it's really interesting to me to see the progression of Satan and his thoughts towards the Garden of Eden. At some points, he actually has remorse for what he has done and regrets his downfall, but he still continues on. Milton also thinks of women as the ultimate sinner, and inferior, and blah blah blah, but the point is pretty valid (my feminist mum would shoot me right now lol). But yeah. Not having read *all* of the books, and what I have read being in modern english instead of the middle english originally, I feel that I didn't get as much out of it as I could have. But I'd like to hear all of your thoughts on it, and if you don't know what it's about, here's a quick summary:

It's a VERY long poem by John Milton writte in the 1600's.

It's about how Satan became the devil from being an archangel.

He was dissatisfied with his time in heaven because he had to *ask* for what he wanted.

There was a civil war in heaven...that part gets a bit complicated and I don't know exactly how that went down.

Thoughts, opinions, comments?

From bits and pieces of what I've read including Divine Comedy and some Paradise Lost/Regained. My personal thought on the subject is that Lucifer was one of God's archangels who decided that he wanted to follow in his own will and not God's. He disobeyed God's authority and revolted against Heaven. Yes, Heaven fell into a civil war waaaay before Man was created. Along with his followers, Lucifer was cast out of Heaven and into Hell. He's not necessarily evil but he is the adversary. There was an interpretation that the name "Satan" in an evolved term literally translating to "the adversary". I'm going to bring in the whole Yin-Yang thing and say that Lucifer's main purpose is to tempt man. Without him, there would be no sense of good and evil. He's an integral part of Man's faith. I may be wrong on some bits but that's my opinion on the matter.

The split between Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches occurred as a disagreement on the worship of icons (i.e. relics). At least that's the biggest thing I took out but obviously there were other differences in worship between the two. The split happened I think around the 11th or 12th century. Both sects lay claim to be the original and one true Church. Other than that, I do not know much more but it's definitely interesting to learn about.

The disagreement between the worship of the icons was among Christians in general and religions of the east, like Islam. Had nothing to do with the Split. The cause of the spilt and the all the Faith changes that were initiated by the Catholics in my opinion, had mainly political reasons mainly by the side of the Pope. Anyways don't Catholics worship icons too?

The biggest difference is the Filioque. The Greek orthodox during the 4th? i think century claimed that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and then later on the Catholics took that and added that the Holy Spirit proceeds "from the Father and the son" or something like that. I don't even know why actually.

Also a big difference according to me was for ages now, the papal infallibility. I mean seriously now? Anyways Pope John Paull II actually apologised for everyone who had suffered under the Catholic church -he even apologised to us for the Split and for what they did back in 1204- which most people realised that these apologies showed that all this infallibility thing is stupid.

Wasn't Constantine the Great in favor of the Orthodox dogma? Unless you're talking about someone else, though i don't think so. And Catholism was persecuted by Nero? Or the entire Christianity was? Because i think until the first Split there weren't such terms as catholics and orthodox, there was One Church. There were always some herecies though.

Edited by something better

The disagreement between the worship of the icons was among Christians in general and religions of the east, like Islam. Had nothing to do with the Split. The cause of the spilt and the all the Faith changes that were initiated by the Catholics in my opinion, had mainly political reasons mainly by the side of the Pope. Anyways don't Catholics worship icons too?

That's what I was saying. Catholics worship icons like relics (body parts of saints), Orthodox christians don't. I'll agree that the main reasons for the splits were political all the way back to Pentecost. The Protestant Reformation was another big political split from Roman Catholicism starting with Martin Luther.

The biggest difference is the Filioque. The Greek orthodox during the 4th? i think century claimed that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and then later on the Catholics took that and added that the Holy Spirit proceeds "from the Father and the son" or something like that. I don't even know why actually.

Also a big difference according to me was for ages now, the papal infallibility. I mean seriously now? Anyways Pope John Paull II actually apologised for everyone who had suffered under the Catholic church -he even apologised to us for the Split and for what they did back in 1204- which most people realised that these apologies showed that all this infallibility thing is stupid.

Well yeah. The Vatican was one of the most corrupt organizations during the Dark Ages and Medieval Europe. The infamous Pope Urban II sparked the first crusade. The Inquisition was another thorn in the history of the Vatican. Although ruled by a monarch, the Holy Roman Empire (which was neither holy, nor Roman, nor an empire) was pretty much run by the Vatican. We've changed since then. Benedict XVI recently made an "official pardon" of the Jews for the execution of Jesus.

Wasn't Constantine the Great in favor of the Orthodox dogma? Unless you're talking about someone else, though i don't think so. And Catholism was persecuted by Nero? Or the entire Christianity was? Because i think until the first Split there weren't such terms as catholics and orthodox, there was One Church. There were always some herecies though.

Read up a bit more on that. Yeah it was Christians in general, fed to the lions. I think the earliest solid Christian sect were the Coptics. No details I know of go from there until about 4th century.

For people to believe more and To be able to understand the bible more..

they have a lot of Bibles

that are Called Bible Study Books

they talk about everything you don't understand..

it is very helpful it is how i understood things better

You cannot use your friend as a pin up of how the entire weed user population are. Come on. If your doing it, so will i. My friend who is currently studying for his PHD, smokes Weed as much as he does cigarettes. He is incredibly intelligent, so i am sorry your wrong.

yet again, this has nothing to do with religion.

Actually, the Bible clearly states that you shouldn't do anything stupid or harmful to your body (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).

What do you guys think of Devil/Satan or how you wanna name it/him. Of Evil? Do you believe it exists? Do you believe it has some kind of form? Do you believe there are demons, like all around us? If yes, are you scared of all this? Are you curious?

--Just stating that this question goes mostly to the religious people ok? Sure you can answer if you're not religious but don't go saying "i believe in evil in a metaphorical matter, like unjustice, hurting other people, killing blah blah blah"--

Well being a Christian, I do believe in Satan and evil and demons. But I'm not scared of any of it in the least. Being a Christian, I have no reason to be scared of it.

Even if you're not a Christian, I think you have to believe that evil exist. I mean, just look at the world we live in. Throughout history there have been evil people, evil leaders and dictators, people who have committed unthinkable crimes upon other humans and defenseless children.