The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Japan (Earthquake And Tsunami)

It is absolutely devastating, although I had heard bits about an earthquake in Japan on the radio while I was at work yesterday, nothing could prepare me for the shocking images on the TV when I got home, I have been following the news on and off since.

My thoughts are with the people of Japan right now and those who have been affected by this disaster.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going through this thread I have seen some very odd comments. This isn't going to be the end of the world. These are natural processes that have occurred throughout the entire earth's history. You want to know why there haven't been more earthquakes of this magnitude recorded? That would be because records (semi-accurate ones) only started being kept about 150 years ago. Pressure builds up, plates shift, earthquakes happen, especially in the ring of fire region. Take a geography 101 course and learn it all for yourself. Is there perhaps more activity this year then in a couple of previous ones? Sure. Does it mean anything significant? Nope.

To be totally fair, Japan is an earthquake prone area (it resides on the ring of fire), and at least they are well prepared for something like this, more than many other countries. What did the most damage wasn't the earthquake itself, but the ensuing tsunamis.

This isn't the end of days, these are normal processes of the earth, don't make it out to be more than it is. I feel bad and Japan has my sympathies (I love Japan <3), but if nothing else take comfort in the fact that they are receiving the best possibly aid right now.

I just read this:

It is reported that deaths have already occurred in California. Many many boats have been sinking or knocking into each other. I just can't believe that the Tsunami traveled so far, and to this extent!

Just to comment, and don't think me heartless for saying this. But there were advanced warnings here all day long, there were patrols and officials stationed telling people to not linger around the water, that tsunami waves of up to 3 feet or higher were on the way. We had a few fatalities, but they ignored the warnings. Officials here did everything they could, but there are always those who ignore the warnings. And they have less sympathy from me than the victims in Japan.

Strong Tsunami >_<. Well just wait until the earth starts to shake in California. And it will happen sooner or later.

That's an understatement, we were suppose to have a major earthquake within the last 20 years. It's suppose to be magnitude 7 or higher. The fact that we haven't doesn't bode well as that's usually an indication that pressure is building.

Going through this thread I have seen some very odd comments. This isn't going to be the end of the world. These are natural processes that have occurred throughout the entire earth's history. You want to know why there haven't been more earthquakes of this magnitude recorded? That would be because records (semi-accurate ones) only started being kept about 150 years ago. Pressure builds up, plates shift, earthquakes happen, especially in the ring of fire region. Take a geography 101 course and learn it all for yourself. Is there perhaps more activity this year then in a couple of previous ones? Sure. Does it mean anything significant? Nope.

To be totally fair, Japan is an earthquake prone area (it resides on the ring of fire), and at least they are well prepared for something like this, more than many other countries. What did the most damage wasn't the earthquake itself, but the ensuing tsunamis.

This isn't the end of days, these are normal processes of the earth, don't make it out to be more than it is. I feel bad and Japan has my sympathies (I love Japan <3), but if nothing else take comfort in the fact that they are receiving the best possibly aid right now.

Just to comment, and don't think me heartless for saying this. But there were advanced warnings here all day long, there were patrols and officials stationed telling people to not linger around the water, that tsunami waves of up to 3 feet or higher were on the way. We had a few fatalities, but they ignored the warnings. Officials here did everything they could, but there are always those who ignore the warnings. And they have less sympathy from me than the victims in Japan.

That's an understatement, we were suppose to have a major earthquake within the last 20 years. It's suppose to be magnitude 7 or higher. The fact that we haven't doesn't bode well as that's usually an indication that pressure is building.

I totally agree with the above.

True. I mean just look at what happened in SF like 100 years ago? The entire city got destroyed.

Seconded.

This is why I ask myself why many inhabitants of New Orleans put all their blame in those who were supposed to get them out? They were warned that CAT5 hurricane Katrina was on it's way to the area and would do some serious damage but there are always those who wanted to "ride out the storm" because they've ridden through the last one. So now they screwed themselves and are blaming the govt. for not doing enough to help. Most wouldn't be in that situation because they were warned with enough time and have the means to get the hell out of Dodge before the storm hit.

Any idea if the lines in California are linked to the supervolcano under Yellowstone? That volcano is due for eruption within the next thousand or so years but geologists are concluding that the region is highly unstable and can erupt prematurely.

I'm more worried about the nuclear reactor, I hope everything gets sorted out with that. I read today they are resorting to pumpin seawater into the core in order to prevent a meltdown :/ I can't even imagine the damaging effects of an earthquake AND radiation poisoning. That really freaks me out, ever since I saw K-19: the widowmaker lol. It's really scary though, and my thoughts, prayers, and positive energy are all being sent to japan right now.

I'm more worried about the nuclear reactor, I hope everything gets sorted out with that. I read today they are resorting to pumpin seawater into the core in order to prevent a meltdown :/ I can't even imagine the damaging effects of an earthquake AND radiation poisoning. That really freaks me out, ever since I saw K-19: the widowmaker lol. It's really scary though, and my thoughts, prayers, and positive energy are all being sent to japan right now.

IKR? Everyone keeps forgetting it. It's the most what worries me. They already did that. But now the 3rd reactor has cooling problems...so thats a new big problem. Also they led steam out of it, and contaminated 15 people with it. SOme people say the meltdown alreday started. We don't need another Chernobyl.

Edited by I am Not Purple

My thoughts are with those people as well. I hate to admit, but I have not been following the majority of the headline news. I do read up on some, but it all gets very depressing to hear--especially if you are in a position of being helpless to do anything.

This past year has been a very active year in terms of natural disasters, political upheavals, and transitions into wars. I suppose this is ironically natural and inevitable. I wouldn't stretch out as far as to claim that we are "reaching the end of the world" as few or some might say.

Disasters have been happening for quite a while, as have wars--the urgency or impact of which have been nearly on level or slightly less than what is happening now. Another point that has been mentioned and discussed elsewhere is the level of connectivity that we have in relation to news reports. However, this does not in any way diminish the importance of catastrophic effects of the earthquake and tsunami that is occuring in this moment.

I find it saddening, frightening, and stressful to know that this is going on. The Pacific area, in general, has been very active this year. I believe there were two significant earthquakes in South Island, New Zealand, a devastating cyclone which made initial impact on the Northern tip of Queensland, Australia, a major flood of Queensland (including Brisbane), Australia, and several other events which have happened which I've drawn a blank on recalling.

Most of these events have seemed to happen in the span of less than half a year, mostly because the Pacific Basin has spans of time, and cycles, where geological movements are more active and volatile than others. Also, Japan and several other countries sit on what is referred to as "The Ring Of Fire":

"The Ring of Fire" (no, it isn't just a song) is given the term "The Circum-Pacific (Seismic) Belt" and is an area in which 90% of the earth's volcanic eruptions and earthquakes occur. It is home to about 75% of frequent and non-frequent volcanic eruptions in the world. Trouble is, when the tectonic plates shift a significant distance more than usual and one subducts (one plate collides and is drawn under) another plate, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions occur (<--- simple version).

Plates in the Pacific Basin:

I suppose that there is a certain level of detachment one has in approaching news like this. It never really, truly "hits home" until a significant event happens in your ("your" meaning the general reader's) area. When it does, you retain those feelings of what it is like to go through a natural or catastrophic disaster and that's when the emotions get to you in a current situation like this.

Even preliminary reports and headlines describe "hundreds" being killed as a result of the earthquake, its aftershocks, and the impending tsunami. It makes me feel hopeless as well. :(

Here are links if you wish to additionally read on what I explained above:

USGS (United States Geological Survey) Earthquake Glossary

"Pacific Ring of Fire" Wikipedia Page

Definition of "Subduction"

"Subduction Zone"

Thank you for the background on geology Kim... it's very true, as you've shown here and Dax has indicated along with some others that these types of things have been happening for centuries and the recorded history of such events is a relative blip on the map.

I think it's a bit too presumptious to take natural disasters as any kind of apocolyptic sign. They happen soooo often throughout world history in one form or another that it's too convienant a fallback for those who may want to say "I told you so" if/when the apocolypse does come.

The other thing you mentioned that I think really hits home is the sense of how these things resonate with us when we are not directly effected by loss or damages. How many people here mentioned Haiti? I mean it may have been on our minds, but few if any made mention of Haiti. Which is simply to say that this too will be moved to the back burner on our minds in a years time, or until the next natural disaster comes along and grabs our attention. That's not a judgement on anybody... I think this is just the natural progression if we are to live in a life where we move forwards towards the things that must be done and carry on with our daily lives and individual concerns.

I think the biggest thing I take from this disaster is how amazed I am at the capacity for humans to minimize the loss of life in today's society given the magnitude of this earth quake and the subsequent tsunami's created by the quake. Just think... as short as 200 years ago a natural disaster of this magnitude would likely have resulted in a vastly greater loss of life, in a vastly smaller total population. The advancements in protections and advanced warnings that will derive out of these disasters will continue to prove the human capacity to stand up to the most difficult challenges and inherent dangers of living on our planet.

Any idea if the lines in California are linked to the supervolcano under Yellowstone? That volcano is due for eruption within the next thousand or so years but geologists are concluding that the region is highly unstable and can erupt prematurely.

Naw, Yellowstone doesn't reside on the Ring of Fire. That unfortunately is a totally different disaster. Generally faults will move or earthquakes will happen that release pressure (and incidentally cause pressure to build up in other areas if memory serves me correct). The San Andreas fault is currently stressed to the point that "the big one," basically a magnitude 7 or higher earthquake, is slated to occur sometime soon. That's not to say that it will ever actually happen, the potential for it happening is high however it's possible that stress could be relieved through smaller earthquakes or some unforeseeable way. Unfortunately at this point there are still a lot of questions regarding earthquakes, which if we knew them better we'd be better able to predict and prepare for them.

"We are assuming that a meltdown has occurred" at a quake-damaged nuclear reactor, Japan's chief Cabinet secretary says.

I cannot believe such a catastrophic event occurred in Japan. :( It is such a beautiful country rich with history and culture and a place I would love to visit one day. So to hear something like this happening to a travel destination is horrible. I hope the best for the Japanese.

Just read an article on Yahoo....this is awful! I am posting the main parts.

The estimated death toll from Japan's disasters climbed past 10,000 Sunday as authorities raced to combat the threat of multiple nuclear reactor meltdowns and hundreds of thousands of people struggled to find food and water. The prime minister said it was the nation's worst crisis since World War II.

Rescuers pulled bodies from mud-covered jumbles of wrecked houses, shattered tree trunks, twisted cars and tangled power lines while survivors examined the ruined remains.

One rare bit of good news was the rescue of a 60-year-old man swept away by the tsunami who clung to the roof of his house for two days until a military vessel spotted him waving a red cloth about 10 miles (15 kilometers) offshore.

The police chief told disaster relief officials more than 10,000 people were killed, police spokesman Go Sugawara told The Associated Press. That was an estimate — only 400 people have been confirmed dead in Miyagi, which has a population of 2.3 million.

According to officials, more than 1,800 people were confirmed dead — including 200 people whose bodies were found Sunday along the coast — and more than 1,400 were missing in Friday's disasters. Another 1,900 were injured.

Hundreds of thousands of hungry survivors huddled in darkened emergency centers that were cut off from rescuers, aid and electricity. At least 1.4 million households had gone without water since the quake struck and some 1.9 million households were without electricity.

While the government doubled the number of soldiers deployed in the aid effort to 100,000 and sent 120,000 blankets, 120,000 bottles of water and 29,000 gallons (110,000 liters) of gasoline plus food to the affected areas, Prime Minister Naoto Kan said electricity would take days to restore. In the meantime, he said, electricity would be rationed with rolling blackouts to several cities, including Tokyo.

In the town of Minamisanrikucho, 10,000 people — nearly two-thirds of the population — have not been heard from since the tsunami wiped it out, a government spokesman said

Read the rest here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_earthquake

Edited by Arie

It took me a few days to post on this thread, as as soon as I heard the news I started calling and emailing my Japanese friends straightaway.

Japan will always have a very special place in my heart. Many of them live near the Chiba Prefecture.

I'm still waiting to hear from some, which is really worrying. :sob:

I am not a very religious person, so praying for them would not seem heartfelt in my case, but needless to say that I am thinking about them and also sending my condolences to everyone out there who has suffered any losses from this devastating event.

Japan is really an admirable country. It was reborn from its ashes after the war, and I don't have the slightest doubt that they will once again rise from this catastrophe.

You know this scares me like you couldn't belive i always think this is the end times.. like something keeps telling me that it might be time but Who knows.. I hope everything works Out I am so Shaking by everything i cant sleep.. :/

I completely understand you're being scared.

To me it seems these natural disasters are becoming more frequent, happening closer together. Not to mention political and financial unrest in much of the world and matters escalating rather quickly in the middle east. It could be the end times.

But then again, people have also been saying this for two thousand years. We never really know. Hopefully this eases your fear just a bit and maybe you can get some rest. Just know that I understand and am hoping your outlook improves.

I completely understand you're being scared.

To me it seems these natural disasters are becoming more frequent, happening closer together. Not to mention political and financial unrest in much of the world and matters escalating rather quickly in the middle east. It could be the end times.

But then again, people have also been saying this for two thousand years. We never really know. Hopefully this eases your fear just a bit and maybe you can get some rest. Just know that I understand and am hoping your outlook improves.

^^yep, exactly. also, if it is the "end" (in other words, the system collapsing,because the Earth ain't going nowhere) that's a really great thing,because there's way too many sick, disgusting, and perverted things happening to people and Nature all around the world (ahem, oil spill, which people seem to have forgotten about).

Edited by halleluJah

Just read this update about the nuclear reactor. There was a line under saying to check back frequently because more and more updates are being added about it. As far as I know, this is the latest. So scary!

SOMA, Japan – Radiation is spewing from damaged reactors at a crippled nuclear power plant in tsunami-ravaged northeastern Japan in a dramatic escalation of the 4-day-old catastrophe. The prime minister has warned residents to stay inside or risk getting radiation sickness.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said Tuesday that a fourth reactor at the Fukushima Dai-ichi complex was on fire and that more radiation was released

Prime Minister Naoto Kan warned that there are dangers of more leaks and told people living within 19 miles (30 kilometers) of the Fukushima Dai-ichi complex stay indoors.

This may be the death knell for nuclear power.

I really hope so. I can not believe in how much trouble we all are because of it. Those meltdowns will change something on this planet. I mean Chernobyl was a huge disaster..this is much worse.

Sorry about the double post. But I am totally shocked. The new film material in the news are devastating. I can't imagine what the people go threw in Japan, no one can if you didn't live threw it.

And then I see stuff on the internet where people say it's the revenge for Pearl Harbor...I could just puke. Such stupidity shouldn't be alowed.

In Germany 7 nuclear power plants got temporarily shut down. One of them, the oldest, is permanently shut down. The opposition wants to stop to use nuclear energy. Everyday we have demonstartions against them. So the goverment is forced to check all of them. I hope one by one will get shut down.

Edited by I am Not Purple