Jade

Extreme Poster

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,065 posts
  • Mood::Content

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:15 PM

Florida. Orlando Florida.

I really want to go. Anyone live there? Or got any pictures?

#2 I am Not Purple

I am Not Purple

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Mood::meh
  • LocationThe Pale Blue Dot

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

I lived in Florida for a while. And of course I've been to Orlando quite a few times as well. It's pretty decent. I really enjoyed Universal and Cape Canaveral. I had pictures, but no idea where they are now.

Yin-Yang_klein.gif I'm Yang, Dina is Yin

Aunt: Arie

#3 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

My grandparents used to migrate to Florida for the winter lol so I used to go every years. I actually found it quiet boring. I am sure Orlando is a lot more fun. But, I was in Miami with a ton of old people and I was rather young and couldn't enjoy all the clubs and such.

My AMAZING sig is courtesy of the lovely BoMa and Dax
thanksarie.jpg
Best Member Girl Most Likely to Shop Even if the Word Was Ending Fashionista of the Forum
Twin- Ardi, Grandpa- Jon, Parents- Tara and Chris, Godfather- Dax, Daughter- Sarah, Nephew- Widu, Sisters- Catherine and Ellen, BFF- Noura, Roommate- Kim, Potato Chip- BoMa, Pea- Kimmie
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#4 Kim.

Kim.

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • Mood::Fearless.
  • LocationCamping out in a positive frame of mind.

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:23 AM

I had/have tons of relatives who live in Florida. As I'm quite used to the North, Florida is a place that is great to visit on the off-season (from the North). I lost count how many times I've been to Florida to visit. I spent a little over 5 weeks on holiday there, in Central Florida (close to Orlando).

My trip included experimenting with blueprints and design (only second-hand, I obviously did nothing about creating them), learning about the preservation of historical architecture, and attending business lunches. I actually helped strip down an old table entirely and refinished it. That was quite a lot of work. <_<

I think everyone who hasn't been to Florida prefers to visit Orlando first. You have MGM, Universal Studios, Disney (I went to Downtown Disney and saw a Cirque show, as well as "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" on big screen), and now the Harry Potter Wizardry World. Once you branch out from there, you can really enjoy certain sites.

On the off weekends, especially on our Independence Day, I went out on a nineteen-foot sailboat on the Intercoastal waterways of Florida's coasts (Intercoastal = The water between the coast of Florida and barrier-like islands which separates it from the Atlantic Ocean or Gulf of Mexico) and spent each of those weekends sailing. I learned tons about the technicals of moving a boat, keeling (tilting the boat), keeping water out of the boat (don't ask!), and actually maneuvering it through shallow water. I wouldn't give up that experience for anything in the world.

We sailed next to dolphins, saw fish jump out of the water, saw an alligator crawling back into the water (by which point we hopped back into the boat :o ). On the West coast of Florida is a set of islands known as the Ten Thousand Islands. Most of these islands are largely uninhabited but make great places for spending a few hours and barbequing. Among these islands is Sanibel Island.

I also went to the east coast and sailed past Cape Canaveral, where NASA has its headquarters.
Anywho, here are some pictures while we were docked off a marina on either one of the coasts (I can't remember which...probably West coast):

Daytime shot

Posted Image

Nighttime shot

Posted Image

^ Pardon the picture quality; I never had a chance to clean up the scan, which was done on a very outdated scanner seven years ago.

At certain times during the year, in the Gulf of Mexico, there is a phenomenon called bioluminescence. Bioluminescence originates from the light which is emitted from an organism. In this case, the algae in the water lit and on a clear night a friend navigated a dinghy (which is a very small boat, sometimes with a motor) and we rode on top of a light yellowish-greenish neon water.
Very eerie, but cool. ^_^
Posted Image

A BIG thanks to the beautiful BoMa, my big sister <3. I know I haven't been around much to talk, but you're more than amazing and I'm so happy to receive this graphic as a gift. Thanks for being so kind-hearted. ;)

Quotes Which Resonate with Me:
"There is no success without determination" -K.S., #24. RIP <3, 2009.
"I don't need any of you to approve of my decisions, I need ya'll to respect them" -Sandra Bullock in 'The Blind Side'.
"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstance. The people who get on in the world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." -George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright.

#5 ckravitz

ckravitz

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts
  • LocationSouthern Florida

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:47 AM

I love Florida, and would love to live there, in Orlando, someday.

Sisters: Jade, Kimberley, Ellen, Stef, Sarah Brothers: Ardi

#6 ckravitz

ckravitz

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts
  • LocationSouthern Florida

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:40 PM

I love Florida, and would love to live there, in Orlando, someday.

Well, it wound up not being Orlando, but I got the next best thing! My father and I moved to Boca Raton, FL two weeks ago and we both love it. Here are some pictures:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

It's a nice place to visit during the Fall season (very hot during the summer). The food is good, the area is beautiful, and the houses are in the multi-million range (so, a bit of eye-candy ^_^).

Sisters: Jade, Kimberley, Ellen, Stef, Sarah Brothers: Ardi

#7 mischief.managed

mischief.managed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Mood::It's obnoxious to complain, so I can't complain!
  • LocationMt. Crumpet (or Kutztown, PA)

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

My best friend moved to Panama City Beach last year, but she lives in Texas now...

you don't have to feel safe
Posted Image
to feel unafraid . . .

"And above all these put on love,
which binds everything together in perfect harmony." - Colossians 3:14

. . .
jade is my sister | joe is my husband | alp is my pet llama
you can call me sammy

my photography blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users