The Emma-Watson.net Forum

A gap year (also known as year abroad, year out, year off, deferred year, bridging year, time off and time out) is a year during which students take time off and do something other than schooling, such as travel or work. The gap year is most commonly taken after secondary school and before starting university. However over recent years there has been an increase in 21-23 year olds taking a gap year after completing their degree.

Have you ever taken a gap year? I wish I had... But I still have plenty of time to travel so it's not really a problem. Where would you go, what would you do?

I did. I went to to a one year gap program in Israel last year. It was a program catered mostly towards Americans, but they do get many European's as well. It was AMAZING! I strongly recommend taking a gap year in between high school and university.

I really wish i did because now i have too much going on at home/personal commitments that i cannot do it when i leave university.

I know some girls who went to Japan to teach english or another went to rural china to work with children. I was jealous lol

i took my gap year in between finishing college and going to uni (07)

from summer until January i worked at a local supermarket where i Live to save some cash, then from January to June I moved to france and worked at this activity center/summer camp for kids. it was great fun, probably one of the best times of my life

I may be taking a gap year after I get my BA, maybe go live in the Philippines for a few months but definitely travel Europe. If funds permit that should let me be able to attend the 2012 Olympiad in London... if funds permit. Afterwards back to school for a masters degree.