The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I used to be addicted to energy drinks throughout my high school career. I was taking rigorous courses and needed to stay up studying/doing assignments, and would have less than four hours of sleep a day. It had me O_O.

So, I opted for Red Bull (as my sister drank Red Bull all the time). They made me feel extremely jittery.

Once, before a performance concert, I had to lay down because I was so exhausted. I popped open a Red Bull and washed an aspirin down with that (I had a headache) and felt so completely sick afterwards; had a panic attack.

I did an article on energy drinks about three or four years ago. I can't remember where it is now, but if I find it I will post it.

I have heard that energy drinks with high acidic content do eat away at the lining of your stomach, so drinking up to one litre a day is definitely not healthy and also is expensive.

Also, most of them containing sugar do boost your energy but there is a drastic low, after consuming them, in your blood sugar levels. If you can stabalize your blood sugar levels throughout the day, you will not need to resort to energy drinks to give you extra energy.

Because sucrose (or sugar) is very simple carbohydrate in energy drinks, your blood stream incorporates that and converts it for energy, but it isn't sustainable. Opting for more complex carbohydrates (which do not break down as fast in the blood stream) which are lower in Glycaemic Index, in food--such as oatmeal, potatoes (or other starches), and the like--would break down at a slow enough rate to sustain your energy over a period of time. The reason behind this is as the carbs convert, and enter the blood stream slowly, sugar levels tend to plateau instead of rapidly rise and fall.

I prefer to drink more natural drinks, so for me it's now coffee. I make it a point not to drink it all the time--one or two cups every two or three days; that way, I don't form a complete dependency on caffeine.

I also, when I need a pep, opt for a vitamin supplement. The US markets something called "Emergen-C" which is a powder supplement filled with Vitamin C, Zinc, and other nutrient and minerals. It aids the immune system from colds and temporary illnesses. The Vitamin C and several others, do tend to give you a boost in energy

Emergen-C Drink Mix

I also, when it's my last resort, opt to drink a variety of Crystal Light (no-sugar drink mixes) with caffeine in them. But, not all the time.

Because I used to have general anxiety after drinking anything with caffeine or taurine, or other extracts, in them, I stopped and cut down on my intake over a period of a year. It was hard to do at first, but it was better for me.

I've had like one. It was good at first but after a while the taste was...weird and kind of sickening. It didn't give me much energy anyway. I haven't had an energy drink since then, neither have I wanted one. I'm also not even allowed to drink them, so yeah... :mellow:

My daily high school diet my senior year was three double cheeseburgers from McDonald's, a Monster energy drink and a cigarette. 4-5 days a week that was my lunch. I wonder how I'm still alive. Anyways I don't see how people can get addicted to energy drinks... it's basically just soda with a helluva lot more caffeine in it. The amount of sugar in these drinks are bad for your teeth and the caffeine is equivalent to drinking multiple cups of coffee. It just messes with your heart and blood pressure if you drink too much (hence the warning label advising not to drink more than 3 in one day).

I drink one once in a while when I need a quick jolt but I just hate how it doesn't last very long.

I have heard that energy drinks with high acidic content do eat away at the lining of your stomach, so drinking up to one litre a day is definitely not healthy and also is expensive.

Kimmeh, do you know if chewing gum does the same, eat away the lining of your stomach? I've heard that a few times because your stomach thinks you're eating when it's not. I saw on The Biggest Loser yesterday one of the instructors suggested to one of the ladies when she was craving cake to eat chewing gum. It's ok if you don't know :P

I highly recommend to stay away from them. I used to drink them like crazy,just because I didn't drink alcohol at that time (and I still try to avoid it) and I didn't know what else to drink...And one day,I was really tired but I need to study for the exam,so I drank 5 of them....when I went to bed that night,me heart started pounding really hard and I couldn't breath normally...it went on for few hours....I freaked out and it scared the bejesus out of me. I honestly thought I was gonna have a heart attack....

Kimmeh, do you know if chewing gum does the same, eat away the lining of your stomach? I've heard that a few times because your stomach thinks you're eating when it's not. I saw on The Biggest Loser yesterday one of the instructors suggested to one of the ladies when she was craving cake to eat chewing gum. It's ok if you don't know :P

Kimmie, I have just read through several articles to confirm what I know. The information regarding chewing gum will be posted in another topic within this hour. I do understand the two topics overlap regarding you quoting me on (paraphrasing what I said:) "acid eating away at the lining of your stomach". However, I'd prefer to keep the two items in separate topics to avoid possible confusion. ^_^

Thank you for asking me that question, because I have just increased my knowledge on this topic. ;)

I will quote you from this thread in the new topic. :yesyes:

I highly recommend to stay away from them. I used to drink them like crazy,just because I didn't drink alcohol at that time (and I still try to avoid it) and I didn't know what else to drink...And one day,I was really tired but I need to study for the exam,so I drank 5 of them....when I went to bed that night,me heart started pounding really hard and I couldn't breath normally...it went on for few hours....I freaked out and it scared the bejesus out of me. I honestly thought I was gonna have a heart attack....

It can be a pretty scary thing to experience the side-effects of drinking high-octane energy drinks. The US recently (within the past two or more years) marketed a specific energy drink with a name that sounded like a drug. The company, since then, had to recall their product off the shelves and re-name their product.

If I can find the article I will post.

If drinking one normal-sized Red Bull did what I mentioned above to me, I cannot imagine drinking 5 cans of energy drinks in a row. :0_0: I am glad you are OK now, however. ;)

Also, I would not recommend mixing energy drinks (such as the popular Red Bull) with alcohol.

When a person consumes alcohol, and only alcohol alone, the eventual outcome of moderate consumption is either becoming "tipsy", "buzzed", "dizzy", "drunk", or "plastered" depending on the person's tolerance to the level ("proof") of alcohol drunken. Alcohol, which is known as ethyl alcohol (ethanol), depresses the system. Depression of the Central Nervous System (meaning slow, not depression-like illness) boils down to this (in simple explanation): because the brain contains a high volume of water and needs a constant blood supply to function, the tissues within the brain (which contain blood) absorb alcohol quickly and, as a result, neurons (nerve cells) within the brain slow and misfire, affecting any motor skills in the body (talking, walking, vision) as well as emotion. A person under the influence of alcohol may feel uninhibited, slur their speech, stumble when walking, have blurry vision, or mood swings.

(Read here: Biological Effects of Alcohol Use by Michaele Dunlap, Psy.D)

When one mixes, say a Red Bull for instance, with alcohol, the effects of the energy drink mask what he/she feels from the effects of the alcohol. Because energy drinks are listed as as stimulants --meaning, they increase blood pressure, heart rate, and alertness--which contain any number of extracts (taurine, ginseng, etc.) with caffeine, the mixture of a depressant with a stimulant overloads a human's biological system.

A director from a College Alcohol Abuse Prevention Center, named Steve Clarke, is quoted as saying the following:

"By mixing the two [alcohol and energy drinks] you're sending mixed messages to your nervous system which can cause cardiac related problems."

Not only is caffeine (which is found in energy drinks) a diuretic--which causes the loss of water--alcohol also causes dehydration, which helps to cause hangovers. If the mixture is over-consumed, one can have trouble breathing (heart palpitations from caffeine, etc. AND the slowing of heart rate from alcohol depression effectively unstabalizes the system of the body as a whole), or pass out, etc.

(Read here: Mixing Alcohol & Energy Drinks May Spell Disaster, by Keith Cambrell, writer of VA Tech's newspaper, The Collegiate Times )

All in all, if you do need to consume energy drinks, or you would like to consume this mixture "cocktail", do it in moderation and preferably one without the other first in order to see how favorably your body responds. ^_^

Seriously though, how can people get addicted to these things? There's not really any addictive chemical in these drinks like nicotine that makes people crave them.

I think they are just over exaggerating.

Addicted = REALLY likes

Yeah, I gave up caffiene for lent and and it included chocolate for a while, but I think I'll stick it to coffee, tea, and soda. Luckily, I've never been addicted to coffee or anything but I wanted to try to give it up to see if I could. Yesterday, I had a chocolate covered calcium chew and midol, which has caffiene in it - I figured that even though it broke my sacrifice for lent I wasn't going to suffer just because a pill had caffiene. I think there's definitely a limit. But yeah, energy drinks...I've had rockstar before, I've had 2 full cans in my life. I'm really small, so energy drinks have a huge impact on me and I get really really jittery. I don't drink them, I usually have coffee or tea and that's not even to be awake. I just like the comfort factor, I think reading with coffee and tea is the best thing ever.

• 4 weeks later...

Yup, people get seriously addicted to caffeine, to the point of having headaches and other withdrawal symptoms when they stop having it

I breathe coffee. I would have 2 cups in the morning, maybe one in the afternoon and definitely another in the evening. Sometimes I would drink the occasional Monster or Red Bull when I feel like it. I just went a week without much caffeine minus maybe one cup of coffee that week, no problem.