The Emma-Watson.net Forum

How do you feel towards racists? Have you ever joined in for a bit of 'fun'? :doh:

I can proudly say that from what I've seen these last few years, it's improved greatly. Do you think it has throughout the world or just the same or even worse?

How do you feel towards racists? Have you ever joined in for a bit of 'fun'? :doh:

I can proudly say that from what I've seen these last few years, it's improved greatly. Do you think it has throughout the world or just the same or even worse?

Racisim is stupid. Thats all I can say. We're one race, we live on the same planet, we breath the same air, etc. The list is endless.

Well in every country we have people who think that they are better than anyone else. And I believe it will stay like that for a while. I mean we still fight wars and kill. As I mentioned in another topic; war, murder and also racisim will only end when people start thinking differently.

Well, first of all, I think racism is dumb to begin with. Who in their right mind would deny somebody their job or their rights just because of the color of their skin? I mean, it doesn't make since to me.

As for me, racism is not tolerated in the military, and I don't feel like losing rank because of a little "fun."

I have been discriminated against (in regards to race and skin color), and it is a terrible thing. For the most part, I do not believe it's "gone" or "disappearing". It's in different forms, and such instances are occurring daily. I don't know how far this discussion will go, really. Racism is bad; no one seems to be in favor of it.

Edited by Hemlock

Racism is a terrible terrible thing. It makes me so sad every time I witness it. Most people do not consider Antisemitism a form of racism is Judaism is not a race. But, it is the same idea. I am Jewish and I have experienced too much antisemitism in my life. In some areas, yes it has gotten a bit better. But, in to many areas racism has not gotten better at all. For example, in the southern states. I went to Tennessee last year and I swear that they hardly realize that segregation was abolished many many many years ago. In those southern states many people are still as racist as ever. And, you know what?! They are still as antisemitic as ever too!! I can not and will not ever understand racism, because I know how it feel to be hated. Racism is not something that will EVER be okay! Even if it is a stupid joke....

I think that this is so stupid but You know it is hard for me Sense I grew up that way My grandparents always Told me that i cant be with anyone that isn't my color And With me I dont care if your black blue orange red.. sliver we are all the same in some way or another. and My grandpa is tollaty Racist When i would date a guy that wasn't in my color he would flip and I don't care anymore

and Yes it is really stupid

but having My grandpa being racist Upsets me a TAD

Wait, what? A bit of fun?? Putting aside the fact that you appear to have chosen the worst possible way to phrase your question, racism is a now useless vestigial trait of our ancient ancestors. Back in the days when most humans were just small nomadic tribes whose diet consisted of raw meat and the parasites they pulled out of each others' hair, competition for resources was fierce and people learned to dislike and distrust those who were not of their social group. In this day and age the world is poised at the moment where the fecal matter is about to hit the rotary air conditioning blade and we have a snowball's chance in Hell of getting out of this mess unless we put aside our differences and work together to fix this mess we've gotten ourselves into.

The stone age is over. Racism serves no constructive purpose whatsoever. As a side note, I always thought my father was racist until he started making nasty remarks about his race. At that point I realised he was simply a misanthrope.

Looking about what racism to speak.

I don't test disgust for people with other skin color.

My hatred extends only on separate persons

I live in multinational Russia.

Now present. Citizens from caucasus or Dagestan killed the girl in police them will release for the lack of material evidences or their action of proceeding will be is considered as household murder. And if Russian catches this Daghestani and will curtail to it a neck it will be already punished very strictly for kindling international break a set.

You probably heard or saw that was created in Moscow on манежной the areas. If who didn't hear I can explain, write.

People left on манежную the area not only because of one murder of the fan of football club, has simply boiled for 20 years. Next day after meeting 20 pedestrians at the underground have been shot, shot from a jeep with the Dagestan numbers, them naturally haven't caught, and judged people which left on манежную the area.

And it is normal?

I apologize for my english)))

• 4 weeks later...

We're all human. Skin is skin.

That's a good way of putting it.

Wait, what? A bit of fun?? Putting aside the fact that you appear to have chosen the worst possible way to phrase your question, racism is a now useless vestigial trait of our ancient ancestors.misanthrope.

I simply asked it that way because some people do use racism for "fun". I've seen it with my own eyes, they do it for a laugh. That's all I was saying, I did not create this topic because I'm for racism, quite the opposite infact. I loath racism. Now that I reread it I do admit that I could have put it better, my apologies.

I simply asked it that way because some people do use racism for "fun". I've seen it with my own eyes, they do it for a laugh. That's all I was saying, I did not create this topic because I'm for racism, quite the opposite infact. I loath racism. Now that I reread it I do admit that I could have put it better, my apologies.

I believe that people, when reading a question about a current issue, carry with them a very strong opinion which can influence the way they read it. Anything can be viewed with two sides, whether it is an idea, statement, belief, or proposal.

Anywho, racism has and always will be a problem. I don't think anything can ever stop or change that. There is some deep-seated and ingrained human need--on a minor or grand scale--to feel superior to another human being. You may have had a whisper of a thought about it (this does not apply to just racism) or may have taken some kind of action about it--whether present or past.

I was born in a very, very diverse city and grew up in an increasingly diverse town. The majority of my friends are Asian, and I do have African American and white friends as well. Some of my best friends are even mixed. I guess I'm thankful for having been able to grow up in a community that embraced that kind of diversity.

On the flipside, however, I have seen racism go on. My social enviornment wasn't perfect, of course. Although color of skin didn't completely matter, in most cases, in my school, accents (based on ethnicity) did. If you were a "fresh off the boat"er ["FOB"], you were referred to as so because of your broken accent. You weren't exactly shunned, but I can guarantee you that you (not you, as in the reader, but a more general "you") would be talked about behind your back. And forget if you had deep-seated insecurity about how you sounded, because it'd be a bit worse. People would deliberately talk slow, believing you could not understand even basic English.

The biggest sticking point, for me, to the whole issue is that the current growing generation (19-about 24?) and younger (<19) have the biggest opportunity to raise their voices and help staunch the continuance of racism. Although racism probably will never go away, it doesn't take a physical-back-breaking amount of effort to extend a hand out to a person in serious need who is of a different creed, religion, faith, or color . What matters is what's on the inside. And still, some people do not consider that.

My best girl friend from high school is Hindu, the guy I hung out with in high school is an Atheist but was born Muslim, my former orchestra standpartner is Filipino (but Roman Catholic). My favorite former Spanish teacher spoke Spanish with amazing fluency and a great accent, and it wasn't until years later that I found out she's Jewish. Their skin tones vary from a dark brown to white skin. I am me .

Granted, racism has diminished a good chunk in the past 48 years. However, I don't see it being abolished in its totality anytime soon. Joseph Conrad illustrated it in his semi-short story The Heart of Darkness , which was quite a dark book, but gives the general main point: it is a human's innate nature that propels him (or her) to feel superior to others.

Working against that nature by nurturing the idea of diversity is key.

Edited by Lena

when I was going out with my boyfriend, my gram had a huge problem with us because I am white and he is from honduras. He's a civil engineering student, it's not like he doesn't have a motivation in life. One day I asked her, why do you not like javier, is it because he's not white? and I expected her to say no, but she said, yes, that's exactly it.

WHAT???

But yeah, I know I posted before on the issue of age/racism, but that still bothers me. :/

• 1 month later...

People love picking on people's faults. And apparently skin colour is one?! haha how pathetic. I say they should be given therapy or something to give them a reality check and help them grow up. We're in the 21st century yet some people still have a mindset of the 1750s or something.

• 3 weeks later...

Compared to 50+ years ago, it certainly seems improving...however I doubt it'll ever completely deteriorate. Due to the fact that through racism, other races are socially benefited while others are socially oppressed. Other races may pretend to show empathy for minorities or even "attempt" to help them out of pure guilt, but the fact remains that most races in a socially superior position would have a very difficult time changing things and making them more equal.

Humans are greedy. Some races of people are entitled to a social superiority which isn't fair, but what can be done about it?

It's hard for a minority of something to overthrow a majority when the majority has no incentive to give up what they're holding on to (in this case social superiority, social benefits etc.)

Usually, things that are minority, or scarce are the things that are cherished or valued the most; making things of the majority less desirable. For example, gold is rarer and scarcer than bronze thus gold is minority in comparison to bronze, and ultimately gold is more valued than bronze.

Seeing as this is the complete opposite for race, it's very hard to see things changing anytime soon. Humans are very unreasonable, complicated and (in my opinion) very unnatural creatures - at least in terms of how they act and interact with one another.

Well, racism is every where, i doubt it will ever end but it has improved from the past. I personally do not understand how someone can harbor hate for a group of people just because their skin color is different but then again there's a lot of things I don't understand.

I hate racism, i really do. Actually not hate it, i just don't get it, we're all equal.

However i must add that nowadays it seems to me that everyone seems to be using the word "racist" and "racism" for almost everything and even not in cases of actual racism. For instance, my country currently is filled with illegal immigrants. Illegal. From the Middle East. The situation here is really dangerous. We have so many cases of rape and murders every single day, and when we try to defend our selves we get called "racists". I mean that pisses me off badly.

Or, in smaller cases, sometimes, people don't happen to understand the cultural background of some countries, or they just don't like it. But that's all. They get called racists as well. Or when you express you love for your country and all, and you say you're proud to be -anything you are- that doesn't mean you necessarily think you're above other people. Still, you get called racist as well. I hope you understand my point.

Sometimes some specific terms are being overused for specific, imo, reasons. I personally believe that actual cases of racism seem to be much less than the past and that's a great thing.

Compared to 50+ years ago, it certainly seems improving...however I doubt it'll ever completely deteriorate. Due to the fact that through racism, other races are socially benefited while others are socially oppressed. Other races may pretend to show empathy for minorities or even "attempt" to help them out of pure guilt, but the fact remains that most races in a socially superior position would have a very difficult time changing things and making them more equal.

Humans are greedy. Some races of people are entitled to a social superiority which isn't fair, but what can be done about it?

It's hard for a minority of something to overthrow a majority when the majority has no incentive to give up what they're holding on to (in this case social superiority, social benefits etc.)

Usually, things that are minority, or scarce are the things that are cherished or valued the most; making things of the majority less desirable. For example, gold is rarer and scarcer than bronze thus gold is minority in comparison to bronze, and ultimately gold is more valued than bronze.

Seeing as this is the complete opposite for race, it's very hard to see things changing anytime soon. Humans are very unreasonable, complicated and (in my opinion) very unnatural creatures - at least in terms of how they act and interact with one another.

That reminds me so much of democracy. The minority gets oppressed.

Anyway, I wouldn't blame this behaviour on the human nature only. I believe the system we live in makes us who we are, how we act and think. What can be done about it? imo change the system.

• 11 years later...