The Emma-Watson.net Forum

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's going on for a while now. And I support the rebels of course. This time I'm glad that the US, France and Great Britain intervene with their troops (Air Force and Navy). It's about time. Germany only supports the actions. Also the HQ of the operation (Odyssey Dawn), the US Africa Command, is in Stuttgart Germany.

Nevertheless we have to be careful not to intervene too much.

Sure Western Powers are providing military aid to the opposition, but they need to be careful to make sure that it is the people of Libya who oust Gadaffi from power. It's their struggle, and we're only there to help.

Agreed.

Think of this crisis as the most recent war in the Balkans. NATO had more of a mediating role in the region rather than have a big political influence.

wait, let me get this straight, are you saying Libya is in the Balkans? :huh:

No, he's saying to compare Libya to the Balkans. I see where you can mix that up, though.

phew, that makes more sense.

I think it's good other countries are intervening because Gaddaffi (spelling?) is pretty wack. But at the same time, I'm sure there's ulterior motives involved.

i agree that we cant intervene too much, but the revolutionaries by themselves would never win, because they are so poorly equipped to fught Gaddafi's forces. (i dont like to call them rebels)

The rebels are equipped by the French, the only thing they don't have are aircraft and proper military training as an organization. They've lost a few battles because of poor organization and training, many just scatter upon first contact with government forces.

people say Gaddafi is wacko, but he has held Libya for a looooooooooooong time, so he must be sane to a certain extent...

A good dictator doesn't necessarily mean good leader. He's kept his people under his thumb so much so that the people are afraid to do anything about it. Look at Saddam Insane, he held on to power for a good 20 or so years because he kidnapped, tortured and killed anyone who opposed him. Same goes with Josif Stalin, he even killed his own wife.

The rebels are equipped by the French, the only thing they don't have are aircraft and proper military training as an organization. They've lost a few battles because of poor organization and training, many just scatter upon first contact with government forces.

A good dictator doesn't necessarily mean good leader. He's kept his people under his thumb so much so that the people are afraid to do anything about it. Look at Saddam Insane, he held on to power for a good 20 or so years because he kidnapped, tortured and killed anyone who opposed him. Same goes with Josif Stalin, he even killed his own wife.

Exactly, that is why they need our help... but if we fight their battles and they get another dictator then they will be reliant on us to aid them.

You still have to be able to co-ordinate a country, so he has to be slightly sane...

Edited by Reznov

The West should not interfere too much, the rebels have chosen to fight, we can only help them to a certain extent. Its a fine balance between doing too little or too much. The West can't go round the world fighting peoples battles for them, where will it all end ???

The West should not interfere too much, the rebels have chosen to fight, we can only help them to a certain extent. Its a fine balance between doing too little or too much. The West can't go round the world fighting peoples battles for them, where will it all end ???

thats precisely my point.

thats arguable

I do see where you are coming from, but a sane man leads his country to greatness in the people's eyes. Gaddafi leads his country to greatness in his eyes, and through his eyes is power, corruption, and greed. He believes his actions are right, and that everyone else's is wrong; that is insanity.

Anybody can run a country, it's true. But only a true leader can keep it together.

Edited by ckravitz

Unless of course if the opposition requested foreign aid. They've been in 'peaceful' protest for 2 weeks or so before Gadaffi ordered the use of deadly force against them. It's just like what happened when Mahmoud Ahmadinejad suppressed the Green Movement in Iran with deadly military force.

Anybody can run a country, it's true. But only a true leader can keep it together.

That's where his advisers and department ministers come in.

Come to think of it, I think the air campaign is the only thing foreign nations are willing to do. A ground intervention with foreign troops is far too risky to use. Libya is known to have chemical and biological weapons since the 80's and I'm sure Gadaffi is not afraid to use them.

Edited by sirbenedictvs

Come to think of it, I think the air campaign is the only thing foreign nations are willing to do. A ground intervention with foreign troops is far too risky to use. Libya is known to have chemical and biological weapons since the 80's and I'm sure Gadaffi is not afraid to use them.

Britain is considering sending troops in if the air campaign is ineffective...

The West should not interfere too much, ---. Its a fine balance between doing too little or too much. The West can't go round the world fighting peoples battles for them, where will it all end ???

Yeah, finding the balance is very difficult.

There has been news that NATO is interested in Sweden and Finland's role and possible participation. It seems to me weird that what would we have to offer (I'm from Finland) when there's already the Allies, The UK, France, The US. Sure, if we can help save lifes, then yes we should help but it just seems that what we could do that they already can't? And I'm not saying that it's the bigger countries' responsibility to do these things since we have participated building peace in many countries but since they're already there. The only thing we could gain (if we don't count saving lives since the Allies can do that without us) is the experience for the soldiers etc. which to me seems kind of lame reason to go.

Anyway, I hope that this crisis would be over soon so the killings would end and the rebuilding could begin.

Considering but unlikely. The coalition only launched an air campaign to maintain air superiority against Gadaffi's military, any ground operations are supposed to be dealt by the rebels. We're only there to ensure Gadaffi isn't committing atrocities against his own people. He used his air force to attack the rebels and protesting civilians; that's what prompted international intervention (France was already involved before this point).

And I agree on the handover. The US is the largest contributor machine and manpower-wise, NATO needs to come up with enough forces to compensate before the US can back off.

Edited by sirbenedictvs

Considering but unlikely. The coalition only launched an air campaign to maintain air superiority against Gadaffi's military, any ground operations are supposed to be dealt by the rebels. We're only there to ensure Gadaffi isn't committing atrocities against his own people. He used his air force to attack the rebels and protesting civilians; that's what prompted international intervention (France was already involved before this point).

And I agree on the handover. The US is the largest contributor machine and manpower-wise, NATO needs to come up with enough forces to compensate before the US can back off.

on the troops subject, im only reporting what BBC news have been saying, as well as The House of Commons' debates.

Edited by Reznov

on the troops subject, im only reporting what BBC news have been saying, as well as The House of Commons' debates.

I highly doubt the British government will deploy ground forces to Libya. They no longer have British nationals in country and there the current objectives of this campaign does not call for conventional ground forces. I would not be surprised however if SAS troops are operating in country however I doubt any information on that would be made public.

Edited by sirbenedictvs