The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Books That Get You Going!

Hey Food and Health Forum nuts!

I apologize for not having posted much in this Forum. I've been quite busy this week with training. I have a few extra moments to start this topic!

All right, so -_o, I have heard that we--as a society--live in a "therapy culture". With numerous self-help books out there and people using therapy to work through issues in their lives, some experts claim that we have formed a dependency on others to help figure out our problems.

I do not believe this, however. I stand by my stance: As long as one has an open-mind to approaching a self-help, inspirational, or multi-genre book--whichever one prefers---and keeps an open mind and is resourceful , one is bound to start through with mini-realizations about themselves.

I LOVE feel good books. Books which share stories and which I can relate to. Biographies and autobiographies in which the author has been in a worse off position than I have been. Philosophical books which give me impetus and motivation to implement positive and action-oriented ideas into my life.

So. On the cusp of three years ago, I stumbled upon the book It's Not about the Bike, My Journey back to Life , written by American cyclist Lance Armstrong (edited by Sally Jenkins).

I was going through a pretty tough time that year, and reading through how Armstrong battled testicular cancer with a less than 5% chance of living propelled me to think that perhaps my life wasn't so bad. For me, it was inspirational.

I plan on re-reading it. :yesyes:

SO MEMBERS! What are your go-to books for when you reach rough patches in your lives?

(I'll post other books later).

SHARE SHARE SHARE!!!!!!!!! B)

I don't really like books that are described as "self-help" - I mean, I don't go to Borders or Barnes and Noble and look for those types of books; reading autobiographies isn't really my thing. Rather, I look for books that have a meaning within a story, and is also easy to read and I've stumbled across a few that I liked. One of the autobiographies I read recently was Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I know I'm a little late in getting around to it, but my roommate had it so I figured I would. I can't believe I didn't get to this sooner! It was AMAZING. It wasn't boring at all, and I think the author has some excellent points, especially in her "Pray" section.

In my Psychology class senior year, we read "Who Moved My Cheese". It was a fictional story about 2 mice and their different ways of getting to the cheese, which was their personal obstacle. We had to write a paper about an obstacle we overcame and how we did it. I wrote about following my heart in pursuit of love, for the guy I was with at the time. Although we are no longer together, it really was a good paper to write.

My roommate last year loved the book "The Shack" by William P. Young. It's about a guy who loses his daughter, I think, in a car accident and one night he finds a shack and in it is God. It's supposed to be a really poignant novel. I bought it for my grandmother but I might read it myself.

I've also started to read, but never finished, "Tuesday's With Morrie". I am *almost* done with it, but I had started to read it, put it down, and ever picked it back up. It's one of those books that has kept gnawing on me to read so I will do it soon! From the majority that I had read, it was really touching and the lessons in the book are still so relevant today. :)

• 11 years later...
  • 3 months later...