The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma slowly losing her accent?

There are certain words in her speech which have lost their longer vowels that are the trademark of a British accent. Re-listening to this interview again, once you have pointed it out, has outlined this particular issue.

The majority of this interview does show that she has retained her British accent--that very "posh" sounding set of phrases and sentences--but you can start to see a bit of change. Whether this is from her being in the United States for quite a while, it's hard to say.

However, it is a natural thing that once you are surrounded in an environment in which your native accent is hardly spoken, a hybrid accent emerges. Words, phrases, and sounds each have their own musical quality to it (whether thought so or not) and depending on where a person is from, you can note the duration of how long a word is stressed or held for--which vowels and consonants get the most emphasis, etc.

It's more of a natural change and internalization as well as unaware, practiced repitition.

As a result, I do not think, by any means, that Emma is trying to change her accent.

Edited by Lena

I've noticed her voice changing slightly over the past few years but I don't think it's an issue. She still sounds British, just, not as English as the others do :) But she's adorable no matter what so who cares? :P

Yeah she is a little, she is still sounding British in places but then there are certain words where the tone drops and sounds a little american.

being in new york wont do this to your accent, but if you have friends that are american and your close with them you will pick it up. no doubt about that.

holy crappppppppppp. I really noticed it in this interview. werid. now she sounds like me. 0.o

I used to copy her accent and since i did copy it, i notice the difference. :yesyes:

and esp when she says together. she drags out the R to make it stand out. lol. its so cute.

side note: she seems flirty with the interviwer. LOL

and btw, what does she say when he's like so intimate moments with you and daniel and... and then what does she say after that?!

Sorry, that was my fault. I was standing behind the guy.

:lol:

I guess when you are around people who talk in a certain accent you´ll adopt a few words with the time.. I always hear it when german actors are in Hollywood, they got this hard american accent when they speak german

:lol:

I guess when you are around people who talk in a certain accent you´ll adopt a few words with the time.. I always hear it when german actors are in Hollywood, they got this hard american accent when they speak german

Oh definitely, it's inevitable that you'll pick up things here and there when around people who talk in another accent/dialect. Hell I think I even pick up things from movies without knowing it. Emma will no doubt have some American-sounding speech and maybe even some idioms but I'm sure she's going to remain English.

Then I guess it's a good thing she didn't go to Harvard. She'd be pakin' her cah in the yad at Havad. ;)

heyyyy now being from boston i take offense to that :P we dont ALL sound like that! and if you're gonna make fun of the boston accent, gotta get it right - put those H's in there "pahhhk" "haaavahd" xD

oh and add extra r's onto words like "idea" and "pizza" - they then become "idear" and "pizzer" and confuse the crap out of people. xD

Maybe she is doing it deliberately? As far as we know, she worked on being able to do an american accent (it was mentioned several times). Since this is an interview for the american audience it would be sensible to use it.

By the way, I moved within Germany about half a year ago, and I'm pretty sure my accent changed a little bit as well. I actually try to pronounce words with the local accent, because it helps to "blend in". There are many tourists visiting my new home town, and in shops I'd rather be recognized as an inhabitant of this town.

Maybe Emma tries to blend in among her friends as well? She has said how they always mention her Oxford accent, I'd understand if she tried to change that.

heyyyy now being from boston i take offense to that :P we dont ALL sound like that! and if you're gonna make fun of the boston accent, gotta get it right - put those H's in there "pahhhk" "haaavahd" xD

oh and add extra r's onto words like "idea" and "pizza" - they then become "idear" and "pizzer" and confuse the crap out of people. xD

Lol, pizzer. Excellent.

But you guys don't say wicked, do you? That's a Rhode Island thing isn't it? As in "From Providence, Boston is wicked fah." :P

But you guys don't say wicked, do you? That's a Rhode Island thing isn't it? As in "From Providence, Boston is wicked fah." :P

Oh no, we say wicked. wicked is a new england thing, not just RI XD mwahahaha.

I mean, I live in Boston but my college is pretty much at the MA/RI border and everyone just sounds the same.

to me she just sounds like she has a bit of a cold to me. It seems normal for her accent to change and grow as she is introduced and surrounded by new people and living in different areas. I don't think she will ever loose it.