The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Your Self-Care Days

The Joyful Heart Foundation, founded by Mariska Hargitay in 2004, runs a theme each weekend which remains the same. Regardless of the type of issues the organization deals with, or combats with on a national and international level in order to bring about awareness, their Facebook page asks--generally--its members what they have done on "Self-Care Saturdays (and) Sundays".

I suppose the idea behind proposing a "self-care Saturday" or "Sunday" goes beyond basic alliteration. The idea behind this is to outline, throughout your day-to-day routine, activities which you have done that make you feel worthy, or feel good about yourself. It's taking the time out to do something for yourself and acknowledging to yourself that you have to be selfish --yes, "selfish"--that adds a sort of value and a comfort that you may be one step closer to reaching a specific goal.

It can be sitting in peace and quiet for five minutes, meditation or the practice of yoga, walking near a lake, running, exercising--something which helps you to find tranquility and/or peace within yourself and brings yourself at a comfort level with yourself , not with anyone else.

I, personally, like to think of it as finding my "core", or becoming comfortable with and accepting the "person" who resides on the inside. If I have not taken at least five minutes out for myself on any given day, weekend, etc., then I have not worked on feeling better about myself.

----

*I*:

1) I listened to a determined set of lyrics this morning in order to start my day.

2) I walked about four miles into the next town and enjoyed the beautiful, but chilly weather this morning...watching a community walk the streets of their own neighborhood.

3) I picked up a medium hazelnut skim latte for myself (first time in weeks) and truly savored it on the way back.

4) I travelled to another part of my state to stay for the rest of the weekend.

What do you members do to care for yourselves? How frequently do you do this activity? ^_^

Oh Kim! Very good idea :) I was by myself mostly today, so I spent a lot of quiet time. As of now, my evenings consist of me meditating and stretching before I go to bed, and I do that every day now, so I guess that counts. Tomorrow I think I will do some working out and getting ahead on my schoolwork. :) and that is good enough for me!

Oh Kim! Very good idea :) I was by myself mostly today, so I spent a lot of quiet time. As of now, my evenings consist of me meditating and stretching before I go to bed, and I do that every day now, so I guess that counts. Tomorrow I think I will do some working out and getting ahead on my schoolwork. :) and that is good enough for me!

<3 LOVE!

I need more meditation! I would love to take up Tai-Chi. :o:D

massive dose of Guns N' Roses would work for me.. listenin to their song is one way for me to care for myself, i feel great and peaceful when i listen to their songs.. and cardio (mornin jog for two hours)

<3 LOVE!

I need more meditation! I would love to take up Tai-Chi. :o:D

Tai Chi is great! Remember to do it together with qikong, some teachers don't teach qikong with tai chi and those are the worst type of teachers. You have to have a strong body to feel the Chi (energy) in between the movements. Also, tai chi is a highly spiritual martial art, so your teacher must be able to explain to you the theory behind Tai Chi. Every movement means something.

oh yeah, as for self-care, I'd say I'm in that mode all the time.

Best thing for self-care (for me) is to sit back with a spliff and watch the ocean, or be in the ocean, that is all!

Edited by halleluJah

I think for me, another thing is when I'll be able to have coffee again and just sit and observe people. There's something so peaceful about sipping a latte and just people watching. Plus, I love the feeling of the warmth going down my throat. Sounds weird possibly, but it's really comforting to me. There's also a lot of crafts I want to start doing, maybe during the summer when I have free time. :)

Tai Chi is great! Remember to do it together with qikong, some teachers don't teach qikong with tai chi and those are the worst type of teachers. You have to have a strong body to feel the Chi (energy) in between the movements. Also, tai chi is a highly spiritual martial art, so your teacher must be able to explain to you the theory behind Tai Chi. Every movement means something.

oh yeah, as for self-care, I'd say I'm in that mode all the time.

Best thing for self-care (for me) is to sit back with a spliff and watch the ocean, or be in the ocean, that is all!

I actually tried Tai-Chi for about a month in my last year of high school. We had a great advisor, who actually happened to be my academic advisor in junior high school (a looong time ago lol) . I remember him mentioning the qikong, energy, and theory but, unfortunately, I couldn't continue.

You seem like such a laid back girl! I should move down there :lol: .

----

I didn't do much self-care today.

But:

1) Spent some time with an old high school friend of mine, helped her with literature theory, and ate a nice Moroccan lunch at her house.

2) I made myself a cup of chamomile tea to enter my de-stress mode and am finishing it up right now.

3) I'm listening to some good music.

4) I've caught up on the majority of new posts in this Forum tonight, and have had a good time posting in the last hour since I've had my dinner. You guys always get my spirits up after a tough day. :wub: <3.

I plan on answering and responding to a few more posts tomorrow, and maybe even creating two more topics. ^_^ But, one step at a time. :P

• 2 weeks later...

My self-care yesterday and today (since I haven't done too much today):

-Straightened my hair yesterday and made myself look nice. ^_^

-Cooked a breakfast from scratch.

-Listened to "Chill Out" station music, from my phone.

I plan to:

-At least do some sets of core work, or try some stretches or yoga.

-Clean out and organize my room so I don't feel as stressed out. :yesyes::D