The Emma-Watson.net Forum

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All things paranormal, some people believe but only believe in certain aspects like ghosts.

State your opinions :) love to hear what people think. Add stories of experiences if you want.

I voted all. I believe that there might be some things above psychosis,science and evidence.

And I hope I don't offend anyone but I would add God here too. I'm not religious enough to belive in a God as in the Bible, but one can't rule out anything just because there are no real proves that they don't exist.

It doesn't mean that I believe in anything of it I have never seen anything and I'm more scared of what humans can do to cause harm and hurt me than any of the paranormal stuff would do.

I've had faces in my life when I have been sure that that I've felt ghosts or whatever and I've been half scared to death after playing around with uncult things. But so far nothing really has happend.

Edited by trixie

I'm not sure what I believe, I def wouldn't say I don't believe as who am I to say things aren't real.

To be honest it all freaks me out a little. Thought id seen or heard ghosts when I was younger, but it was always in my head after being told scary stories, usually while camping with guides :P

I believe in them all too! They might not be what we think they are, but I definitely think there's something on the "other side" so to speak. As for UFO's, who knows? The universe is HUGE, there has to be something out there. I would say God, too, but more like an energy field. I think a lot of people who claim to have a sixth sense or are psychic are faking it, but I think there are some individuals that just have an extra something, but they don't go around brandishing it - that's now you know who is fake. I think the ones that actually have the skill keep it quiet.

I am a very firm believer in ghosts/spirits. The evidence that I have seen and read about are just too real to not be well, real. I can't say I believe in UFOs. I think there is a high possibility other creatures live on a planet a gazliion miles away from us, I think it's crazy to say the only living things are the ones on earth. But I still am iffy about actual UFOs. I guess the thought of them being real is too scary for me so I don't want to believe lol. I chose 6th sense too. I know there are special people who feel things that others cannot feel or see. But this is different than physics which I think is bogus. :rolleye: On other I chose reincarnation. Not really paranormal but it is unusual and again, what I have seen and read and heard is too real to not exist. I firmly believe your spirit can come back as another being. Other than that, I think other paranormal files are pretty much fake. Pretty much :rolleye:

Edited by Stan'sMommy

I'm very sceptical; I don't believe ghosts, witchcraft and any of those stuff. UFO's? I'm not sure, I mean, I've no seen any real evidence to be sure of that. The universe is big, of course, but the probability of life in another planet is pretty little.

About the sixth sense, I've always thought that intuition is the sixth sense; in that case I believe. My vote was null anyways.

I'm definitely a believer of extraterrestrial intelligence (not just life but intelligence), I do not believe that we are alone in this universe... if we are, bummer. Are we alone in the universe? No doubt the aliens would be asking the same questions and sending their own probes to find ultimately us. Voyager I would probably be our version of a UFO to an alien world... if it does reach them. It is only .00183 of a light-year away from Earth. The nearest planet from us is 10.5 light-years away. Voyager II was fitted with a golden record with numerous languages of Earth and a hypothetical celestial map to Earth.

I also believe to a certain extent that ghosts can and do exist... that's all I'm going to say 'bout that.

I definitely believe in extrasensory abilities. I absolutely believe that we as humans have yet to tap into the full potential of the human brain. I'm not saying that we can do things like telekinesis but telepathy is a possibility? Ever felt like someone is watching/following you? I think that may be a primitive instinct our ancestors learned to evade predators and an ability that has yet to be exploited.

Well uhm i don't believe in ghosts. If by ghosts you mean the souls are wandered around the earth and are usually little girls with straight black hair, or old people who died in a painful way lol then no. According to my religion, souls are not permitted to be on Earth and have nothing to do with the living. Sooo i don't believe in ghosts.

Witchcraft; i believe in it. Not Harry potter witchcraft lol. I believe it exists and that's an "evil" kind of thing. However my thoughts on this are very complicating so i'm not going to vent.

Sixth sense? Mmm not really. I mean we all sense something weird at some point and most of the times we follow our instincts and stuff but still i don't think i believe in it. And about UFOs i have no idea. I personally don't believe they exist, but i wouldn't be surprised if we ever found out they do.

Witchcraft is actually a very interesting issue to me, and I would like to bring up what I have learned so far about it. I'm not trying to start a debate or anything, I just like to lift common misconceptions.

Wicca is a fairly new religion, having started in the 40's/50's, and that is mostly neo-paganism/new age. It focuses on the relation between the five elements (earth, air, fire, water, spirit) represented in the pentagram form with the circle around it to symbolize togetherness. Wiccans believe in the threefold law - what you put out, good or bad, comes back to you times three. This is why you will never find a Wiccan doing harmful things, because they believe that they will get it back threefold. They worship the God and the Goddess, and their religion is nature based because it finds harmony in all things.

A lot of people get Wicca mixed up with Devil worship (any branch - demonology, necromancy [i think?] or any other form of summoning evil spirits), and I want to stress that this is so far away from the truth. Wiccans don't believe in the devil, they believe that everything has black and white in it - we can't have good without bad, and vice versa. There is also no real potion making involved, or using wands, or anything. Some people who are hardcore do use this stuff but most people really don't.

Druidry is the practice of the ancient religion that started in ireland thousands of years ago. Because there are no written documents about how this religion was performed, most of this stuff has to be guesstimated or taken from other customs.

But yeah, there you go, my two cents about witchcraft hahaha. And no, I'm really not trying to start a debate I just wanted to put in my knowledge of the religion and hope people find it informative :)

Ghosts- yeah sure. There's one at my parents' house. I think it's a ghost, maybe it's another type of spirit, I've never seen it, I've only heard it breathing real loud in my ear a few times. My parents didn't believe me at first, they thought I was hallucinating haha. Then they heard it as well, now it chills in their room most of the time, it was scary at first, but it can't do anything except scare you so yeah.

Witchcraft - Does this include satanists or just witch doctors? There's plenty of witch doctors and general witchcraft in Africa, I'm sure there is also everywhere else as well. Every tribe has their own witch doctor, and people are usually very scared of him/her. They are called 'sangomas' in south africa, you see them around a lot actually, they wear these special red and white beaded necklaces. I studied about witch doctors in school, totally dodgy in my opinion.But they are not necessarily bad people.

UFO's- never seen a ufo, but I definitely still believe in aliens.

Sixth sense- who doesn't have it? Everyone experiences it at some stage or another, whether you know it or not.

Psychics - My best friend has got pretty strong psychic tendencies, it's quite crazy being around her. However, I couldn't really be bothered about psychic powers, I don't see how it benefits anyone haha.

Anyway, there's a lot out there in the spiritual world that's really wacky and weird.

Edited by halleluJah
  • 2 weeks later...

I have ESPN. ;)

MEAN GIRLS <3

Two of my friends have kind of an extra sense. Another one of my friends is what might be called an "indigo child".

I have a really cool story about one of my friend's moms though. Her brother, on the morning of September 11th, was going to fly to NYC to see a game or something like that, and her mom called her brother (the uncle, not my friend's brother) and was like, DON'T GET ON THAT PLANE. And her uncle was like what, why? And her mom said, I have no idea, I just know something terrible is going to happen. And so her brother heeded her advice and didn't to on the plane - and survived because that was one of the planes that crashed into the two towers. CRAZYYYYY. But I've heard of a few things like this. I think that the human mind is so much more powerful and our senses are much more developed than we give them credit for. Also, I think there is no doubting the bond between close family members, like brothers/sisters, parents/children, husband/wife.

• 4 weeks later...

Ghosts

I, personally, do not believe in ghosts. If ghosts existed they would have to take up some form of mass, which they don't. Furthermore, if they didn't take up actual space and were just "pure energy" they would have to get their energy source from something...which they can't. They have no body and therefore cannot have any sustenance to create energy.

Most scientists relate paranormal experiences to high levels of electromagnetism, which makes sense because this is all around us (the sun, the earth, tvs, radios,etc). Most areas that people associate as being haunted have a high level of electromagnetism. Taking this, even if ghost used electromagnetism to communicate (lights/sounds/etc) they would have to have energy because nothing can be done if there is no energy. Again, we're back to the fact that they have no way of gaining energy so this kind of dispels the ghost idea for me.

Witchcraft

Witchcraft, obviously, exists. It really depends on how you are referring to it. As a religion it's as valid as any other and I have no problem with people who chose to believe this way.

If you're referring to the witchcraft in fantasy novels or someone sitting in their basement lighting candles, then no, I don't believe in that whatsoever.

If you're referring to witch doctors, then they some validity with natural cures. They also have been crazy extremist.

UFOs

Considering the acronym UFO just stands for "Unidentified Flying Object", I definitely believe in this. :P There are a lot of things that are UFOs.

Moving to the actual tangent of aliens, I don't think we are alone in the universe. There is a wide range of what an alien could be classified as, anywhere from cells from another planet to a functioning "animal", if you will. The full animal seems less likely based on what we know of other planets, but the beauty of idea of aliens is that their body/cell structure and needs could (and probably would) be drastically different from our own. I'm honestly not sure we'll find this answer in our lifetime, but the prospect is exciting.

Sixth Sense/Psychics/Clairvoyance

I put these together, I feel they go hand in hand.

I agree and disagree with these. The typical definition of a sixth sense/clairvoyance/etc is being able to know something about a person without using physical senses. I disagree with this, however, I think that many people mistake their own snap judgements as having a sixth sense. The human senses are amazing and that combined with our brain and how fast it functions...we look at someone and immediately have knowledge about them before they have said anything to us. Humans are made to survive and we have a number of instincts to "size" others up. Most people don't notice that our brain has all ready picked up on a person's troubles/personality/vocal tone/mannerisms/appearance and given vibes or warnings back to us in seconds. In this perspective, I consider this to be a sense all it's own, just not the paranormal kind.

This is a bit of a tangent away, but another example of how humans are programmed to survive is The Third Man or The Angel Effect. This sometimes occurs when people are in life threatening situations people feel there is someone speaking and/or guiding them to where they need to be to get through their trials. They often feel that someone is just right behind their shoulder. It has now been discovered that there is a nerve in the brain that when stimulated this feeling occurs (whether in a dangerous situation or not). I think it's really amazing how our bodies have so many different aspects to them just to help us survive, and yet we can still be so fragile.

^ Well in some cases spirits or ghosts can drain the energy or battery life of the devices being used to try and record them. There are incidents when cameras with a fully-charged battery go dead.So yes, they can suck the energy around them. :)

And there is more to it than just 'ghosts'. There are spirits, demons, any sort of undefined paranormal activity. It doesn't mean it's the ghost of someone who has died.

Yeah, this is coming from a big believer in ghosts/spirits :) I feel there is a lot non-believers don't know or think about. But not going to call anyone here out on it.

Edited by Stan'sMommy

I don't believe in anything supernatural. I've had a lot of bad, bad nightmares about that kinda stuff probably because I'm so scared of it. I literally think I'd have a heart attack if I ever saw a ghost.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think people believe in paranormal phenomena since it's just natural human psychology at work. Science is not a natural way of thinking for humans, the way I understand it. Since humans have existed the tendency has been to attribute the mysteries of life and the uncontrollable forces of nature to invisible beings (Gods, spirits, demons, etc.) who somehow control our destiny. Today we know better than to attribute poor crops to an angry god or illness to demon possession, yet some people still do. It's just their preferred way of interpreting how the world works, unfortunately enough.

On the other hand, some people have some kind of experience which they tried to find an explanation for but couldn't, so it was attributed to the paranormal. Now I'm not saying I think these were necessarily paranormal experiences, but seemingly unexplainable events can be very compelling and provide a basis for belief.

Can we state with certainty that paranormal phenomenon do not exist? No, we can't. There's some ambiguity about what "paranormal" means for one, and science itself is always marching on and discovering new things, and that will never change. On the other hand, there just isn't any compelling scientific evidence for such extraordinary things like ghosts, astral traveling, past lives, etc.

However, I think you're getting warm when you ask if it's just for the thrill. I think that's part of it, but perhaps not all of it, especially in regards to the recent ghost fad.