The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Pretty straightforward... what's the current or developing fashion trends that you've been seeing lately? 'could be a universal thing or maybe it's just a trend in your area. Share what you see and especially what you think.

Imma hold off a bit for following posts before listing what I see a bit... What I see may not even be trends at all ha.

well, in the UK, Superdry is the dominating brand for all teenagers/young adults, i know this as i myself own Superdry clothing because im 12...

Erm... not the UK maybe just your area? Not many people wear it here. xD And we're the second biggest place after London. xD

Edited by Hermione

Well I'm seeing a lot of stores promoting more of the vintage styles (circa 1960's). I work at a Sunglass Hut and this year our main "theme" that we've noticed from the brands that we carry are more of the vintage look. Old school RayBans like the Wayfarer and Cats are making a big comeback. My dad was telling me about some of the styles in the '60s and mentioned that a lot of stuff today are reminiscent of that era. i.e. slimmer pants, skinny ties, more emphasis on grey and brown colours. Simpler looks such as basic colours of black and white on an outfit are also what I've noticed more of. ... basically much of what you see in Breakfast at Tiffany's I've started to notice more of.

---

Not necessarily current but the basic style for the 13-20 American is the basic stores: A&F, Hollister, American Eagle. Solid colour polo shirts, cargo pants/shorts, shaggy hair, etc. After the high school years, I've noticed that mens' personal style tends to branch off from the basic palette. Quite particularly into a few group's I'll just come up with. One is the conservative wearer, basic jeans/chinos, polo or button down; the more loud type, kind of a mix between urban and sport; and then of course there's the Bro, standard polo shirt, khakis, and Sperry boat shoes with maybe the douchebag sunglasses.

The whole graphic tee fad thankfully went away, and I really hope the Jersey Shore fad will too. No more Ed Hardy, yay.

Edited by sirbenedictvs

In my area which is Cheshire the current annoying trends are that of Jack Wills *rolls eyes* the English version of Abercrombie and Fitch. If you dont own a pair of their pants you are not fashionable lol. Of course i dont care, but they all bloody wear the brand and i cant understand it.

Dr Martins are also very popular around here, the girls wear their boots with anything including dresses. But not me, couldnt ever see myself wearing a pair. But i do wear my burberry ankle boots with dresses but thats different.

I am from a very affulent village, and all the girls my age wear all of the above^ But for me I dont, something about Jack Wills is so generic makes me run away from the store.

But i read my fashion bibles religiously (Elle, Vogue) each month, and currently the whole floral look is in.

In my area which is Cheshire the current annoying trends are that of Jack Wills *rolls eyes* the English version of Abercrombie and Fitch. If you dont own a pair of their pants you are not fashionable lol. Of course i dont care, but they all bloody wear the brand and i cant understand it.

Dr Martins are also very popular around here, the girls wear their boots with anything including dresses. But not me, couldnt ever see myself wearing a pair. But i do wear my burberry ankle boots with dresses but thats different.

I am from a very affulent village, and all the girls my age wear all of the above^ But for me I dont, something about Jack Wills is so generic makes me run away from the store.

But i read my fashion bibles religiously (Elle, Vogue) each month, and currently the whole floral look is in.

Dissenting from the crowd eh? But please tell me that you're not one of those hipsters. For the boots, are they like above the ankle dress boots or kind of that military style? I've noticed a lot of that lately- skinny jeans, flannel shirt with vintage military style boots sometimes with bloused trousers.

Umm... I guess I should start getting onto Gentleman's Quarterly, which I guess its the men's version of Vogue so to speak. Every time I've researched about how to wear a certain article such as trench coat or cufflinks it always ends up to some article in GQ.

Sperry boat shoes are everywhere he and I find them so ugly. Other then that? I have been noticing a lot of 60s style stuff coming in which I do love. I have been noticing that the more trendy stores such as AF and Hollister are finally beginning to lose popularity here. Also a lot of flowery, silky, flawy tops and dresses which I adore! A lot of sheer materials which are lovely. Skinny jeans and pencil skirts are still everywhere which is basically what I always wear too lol. I have been seeing a lot of teal as well too which is nice.

It's pretty much the same in Sweden. If you look at H&M (which is dominating in fashion style), it's a lot of 70's look. I think it's mostly 70's actually. Girls wear nude colors, really chunky shoes, long dresses and skirts, and a LOT of fur this winter (pretty much every girl had something).

I'm a huge fan of Dr Martens and have wanted them for ages, but now they're incredibly much in style here so I'm not wearing them :lol: Everyone wears them no matter what your style is. Also posh clothes are always in fashion, like Barbour is one of the big brands used here and clothes inspired by it. Like cardigans with leather patches on elbows, quilted jackets, the natural colors etc.

Also coming in now with spring is leather jackets in all forms, but that's pretty timeless.

In stores I notice the floral trend which you mentioned, but I don't see a lot of that on people. I love floral so I tend to wear that a lot though.

Speaking of cardigan, I am noticing a greater popularity for the sweater on both men and women. Before seen as a feminine or 'old-people' style sweater. More and more younger people are wearing them either with ties or more hipster with a coloured tee underneath.

Dissenting from the crowd eh? But please tell me that you're not one of those hipsters. For the boots, are they like above the ankle dress boots or kind of that military style? I've noticed a lot of that lately- skinny jeans, flannel shirt with vintage military style boots sometimes with bloused trousers.

Umm... I guess I should start getting onto Gentleman's Quarterly, which I guess its the men's version of Vogue so to speak. Every time I've researched about how to wear a certain article such as trench coat or cufflinks it always ends up to some article in GQ.

well and truly lol, mostly because i think some of the people round here have really bad fashion taste.

as for the boots, yeah they are black with military buckles but it is a flatish heel on it so i can wear them with anything and that makes it fashionable. Kate Bosworth does it a lot, and I know it is a very swedish style right now. Yeah i wear mine with flannel shirts and skinnies when im having a boring day lol.

yeah get the male version of Vogue, it will be a great asset to you lol. But you dont have to follow everything in it, you can mix it up :) that is what i do.

Well I'm not sure if the boots are a growing trend or just a current fad but I kinda like that look, so long as the rest of the outfit can match. This is one (though not the best I can find) example of that look; Burberry did a lot of these late last year but not sure if it carried onto 2011.

I noticed that Steve Madden and Kenneth Cole caught on for a bit on the military boot style.

Hmm, I have noticed recently that the iconic trench coat is making a comeback. But definitely that urban vintage look is gaining some popularity.

Edited by sirbenedictvs
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I'm not sure if the boots are a growing trend or just a current fad but I kinda like that look, so long as the rest of the outfit can match. This is one (though not the best I can find) example of that look; Burberry did a lot of these late last year but not sure if it carried onto 2011.

I noticed that Steve Madden and Kenneth Cole caught on for a bit on the military boot style.

Hmm, I have noticed recently that the iconic trench coat is making a comeback. But definitely that urban vintage look is gaining some popularity.

Yeah it was really popular last season that look^ Its still around but i think its a great look. I am definitly in love with it on guys still.

Trench coats never go out of style as far as i am concerned. I wear my trenches throughout the year, never stop really lol. Recently converted the bf and he relinquished control and finally bought a black burberry trench. It looks great on him.

• 2 weeks later...

I will say that I'm glad graphic tees and all that Ed Hardy/Affliction junk are gone.

My god i hope they stay gone too lol. I HATED edhardy/christian audliger

I am completely confused bt the latest shoe trends here. First off, speedy boat shoes. EW! I don't understand why girls are so obsessed with them. It looks like something my grandfather would wear down in Florida! Secondly, toms shoes..... I know that they give a a pair of shoes to someone in need, and I love that!!!!!!!! But, the shoes themselves are so ugly! everyone is wearing both of these shoes and it just confuses me lol. Oh how I miss the days of ballet flats.

I am completely confused bt the latest shoe trends here. First off, speedy boat shoes. EW! I don't understand why girls are so obsessed with them. It looks like something my grandfather would wear down in Florida! Secondly, toms shoes..... I know that they give a a pair of shoes to someone in need, and I love that!!!!!!!! But, the shoes themselves are so ugly! everyone is wearing both of these shoes and it just confuses me lol. Oh how I miss the days of ballet flats.

haha, come to germany! noone here wears those shoes. (well a few of course but not many)

:D

Dr Martins are trending here, have been for a few months now. It's still going strong. I'd buy some myself, some blue one's, but I don't have £500 lying around. D:

They're so nice and fashionable to. <3

• 2 weeks later...

well, in the UK, Superdry is the dominating brand for all teenagers/young adults

yep! i love superdry

right now i think it's coloured jeans? denim jackets seem to be in again too, and all sorts of floral/bright dresses.

yeah Superdry rules, it was originally invented in my town, Cheltenham..the only bad thing bout Superdry is the price..so expensive

How much do clothes from them run? I'd take it that it's the English version of Hollister brand?

How much do clothes from them run? I'd take it that it's the English version of Hollister brand?

ok, so a t-shirt is £25, a certain coat called The Windcheater varies in price from £55-£65 (womens/mens) hoodies are £50, the Windcheater is their cheapest coat (i think)

basically, it aint cheap.