Photo

would you eat bugs?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: would you eat bugs?

would you eat bugs?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MOONMELON

MOONMELON

Advanced Member

• Water
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • Locationromania

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:02 PM

well would you?
I always see on Discovery people in exotic places who like eating bugs.I admit they sometimes look quite delicious so I think I would :)

Posted Image

sig and av by me :)///brother:Nick///graphics///tumblr

#2 The Midnight Q

The Midnight Q

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • Mood::giggidy
  • LocationQuahog, RI

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:28 PM

I've eaten bugs and I don't mind eating bugs. Ounce for ounce, they're packed with more protein than beef. The question is how many you'd eat. I think there was this store I passed by in San Antonio, TX that specialized in bug 'candy'. They had chocolate covered crickets, caramel ants, etc. Still eating bugs alive still kindof creeps me out to a certain extent but I don't mind it, especially on like a hike or camping trip.

On a side note, if snails count, I've experimented a few dishes with those. Mostly jambalaya style or with a salad mostly.
Posted Image
~Thanks Jade~

#3 Comrade Chris

Comrade Chris

Advanced Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationProbably in the woods

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:34 PM

i would eat bugs, it wouldnt bother me...

#4 mischief.managed

mischief.managed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Mood::It's obnoxious to complain, so I can't complain!
  • LocationMt. Crumpet (or Kutztown, PA)

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:35 PM

Where I live people eat grasshoppers, termites and flying ants like they're bread and butter. I personally haven't tried any of them but other people say they taste really good so I will when I get the chance :P

you don't have to feel safe
Posted Image
to feel unafraid . . .

"And above all these put on love,
which binds everything together in perfect harmony." - Colossians 3:14

. . .
jade is my sister | joe is my husband | alp is my pet llama
you can call me sammy

my photography blog

#5 MOONMELON

MOONMELON

Advanced Member

• Water
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • Locationromania

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:51 PM

/\ I envy you so much!I want to try too :D

Posted Image

sig and av by me :)///brother:Nick///graphics///tumblr

#6 padfoot

padfoot

Respected Member

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:56 PM

No... I don't think I would. Maybe, just maybe try a snail for the French culture but that's all.

#7 Mrs Duck

Mrs Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:33 AM

I would if presented to me at the right time and in the right way ^_^ Don't think I could eat a spider though, too many limbs *shiver* But ants definitely, or crickets or something. We'll see when I'm offered B)

#8 130671

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Mood:::/
  • LocationBetween a rock and a hard place ?

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:54 AM

I'd be somewhat concerned not about the bugs but what's inside. Dunno, parasites and stuff? If there is nothing of that sort, then yeah, why not?

#9 The Midnight Q

The Midnight Q

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • LocationQuahog, RI

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:36 AM

I'd be somewhat concerned not about the bugs but what's inside. Dunno, parasites and stuff? If there is nothing of that sort, then yeah, why not?

How about swallow a bunch of termites and let the symbiotic species living in them roost in your stomach allowing you to digest wood. Huzzah! There is one thing I most likely won't ever see myself eat is grubs aka beetle larvae. I saw Bear Grylls eat that gigantic elephant beetle larvae which was literally about the size of his hand... one of the few things that does actually gross me out.
Posted Image
~Thanks Jade~

#10 red

red

Advanced Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:04 PM

big fat NO

I will possess your heart.

#11 I am Not Purple

I am Not Purple

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Mood::meh
  • LocationThe Pale Blue Dot

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

I would eat them if I'd have to. Like in an emergency in order to survive. But as long as I don't have to, I rather not. I've tried a mopane worm once in elementary school. A partner class from South Africa sent them to us. And I believe snails as well as a dish when I was really young.

Yin-Yang_klein.gif I'm Yang, Dina is Yin

Aunt: Arie

#12 Carlyn

Carlyn

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:02 AM

I would eat bugs if I were on a reality show like The Amazing Race or I'm a celebrity get me the hell out of here. Or I would eat bugs in a survival situation. I would prefer to eat the smaller bugs and I think I prefer the crunchy ones as oppose to the ones that have a really gooey centre.

#13 The Midnight Q

The Midnight Q

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • LocationQuahog, RI

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:04 AM

I would eat bugs if I were on a reality show like The Amazing Race or I'm a celebrity get me the hell out of here. Or I would eat bugs in a survival situation. I would prefer to eat the smaller bugs and I think I prefer the crunchy ones as oppose to the ones that have a really gooey centre.

Once you get past the exoskeleton, it's still gooey.
Posted Image
~Thanks Jade~

#14 Carlyn

Carlyn

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:10 AM

Well I suppose I'll smaller bugs then like a fly or ants rather than beetles and crickets.

#15 Jade

Jade

Extreme Poster

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,065 posts
  • Mood::Content

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

I have in the past, but I was kid who liked the mud and ate worms. As for now, I can't really say.

#16 Kim.

Kim.

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • Mood::Fearless.
  • LocationCamping out in a positive frame of mind.

Posted 16 April 2011 - 04:41 PM

Where I live people eat grasshoppers, termites and flying ants like they're bread and butter. I personally haven't tried any of them but other people say they taste really good so I will when I get the chance :P

:lostit: That seems really crazy to me. lol. I don't know if I'd like to try a grasshopper, to be honest. I had one climb on me once, and it freaked me out. And it hurt. :lol:

No... I don't think I would. Maybe, just maybe try a snail for the French culture but that's all.

Twin difference! I think I might take the opportunity to eat a bug or two in the future. But, for me, it would have to be either on a backpacking trip through several countries, on a cycling trip if things went awry and I had no food left :rofl: , or on a camping and hiking expedition. Or even if I was stranded.

This is true. Parasites do concern me, which is a big factor for why I'm not yet handy or skilled in cooking any meat yet--especially pork and fish. But I suppose before eating a certain type of bug, it'd be best to do a bit of research on it. Same goes for eating anything that grows in the wilderness. For instance, some berries--which are found naturally in the woods--are poisonous.
I remember in my last year of grade school, we took a camping trip to the northern part of my state and were taught survival skills (most of which I don't even remember lol). We did have a lesson on boiling certain leaves to make tea. It was sooo cool. ^_^

How about swallow a bunch of termites and let the symbiotic species living in them roost in your stomach allowing you to digest wood. Huzzah! There is one thing I most likely won't ever see myself eat is grubs aka beetle larvae. I saw Bear Grylls eat that gigantic elephant beetle larvae which was literally about the size of his hand... one of the few things that does actually gross me out.

Ok ok, one ancronym for ya: LOL.

I don't think I would ever eat grubs. -shivers- They're SO NASTY. I can stomach watching Bear Grylls (<3) eat A LOT of bugs and exotic meats, but never beetle larvae or grubs. -shiverrrssss-
I have to turn away from the television when I watch him eat that. Gahhh. Thanks, Jeremy, for the nice mental image. :rolleyes:

Edited by Lena, 16 April 2011 - 04:49 PM.

Posted Image

A BIG thanks to the beautiful BoMa, my big sister <3. I know I haven't been around much to talk, but you're more than amazing and I'm so happy to receive this graphic as a gift. Thanks for being so kind-hearted. ;)

Quotes Which Resonate with Me:
"There is no success without determination" -K.S., #24. RIP <3, 2009.
"I don't need any of you to approve of my decisions, I need ya'll to respect them" -Sandra Bullock in 'The Blind Side'.
"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstance. The people who get on in the world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." -George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright.

#17 Babba O'riley

Babba O'riley

• Water
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:06 PM

If I absolutely had to, I would I guess

#18 Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper

Power Poster

• Closed Accounts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:25 PM

No way.! I would never eat bugs. I hate bugs anyway.

knowledge is power

#19 halleluJah

halleluJah

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Mood::sublime
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:50 PM

I've eaten cooked worms before, I think they were called mbapani worms or something. It was when I was in high school, this girl from zimbabwe brought them to international day haha. They were not tasty is all I can say. :icontwisted8pz:
Help! I'm stuck on a rock floating through space

#20 Lady Deadpool

Lady Deadpool

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,194 posts
  • Mood::blue
  • LocationMars

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:09 AM

I don't think i'd ever eat bugs. I'm naturally curious and i like to try new things and all but bugs? I mean i don't know they are kinda gross.

I'm Yin, Widu is Yang.

Tumblr || Twitter || Instagram

Earth House!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users