The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Like in the Catholic church, it's about eating the body and blood of Christ.

That is not just a ritual. That's one of the holiest mysteries of Faith. You accept the blood and flesh of Christ, you have to be ready for it. It's not just a ritual you have to do just because you call yourself religious. It's a special bond. I guess that's why i can't understand why some people think that religion is a different thing than a relationship with God. To me it's the same. You can have a relationship with God, or faith without being religious yes, but from the moment you call yourself religious you instantly have faith in those rituals, it's an important part of your relationship with God. It's not just rituals, or an everyday procedure you HAVE to do because society tells you to. So i guess i'm done with explaining myself on this matter. We all have different views on that, i reckon.

Some people like to go to church/temple etc., and show their faith in public. Others prefer to have a more private faith. They are equally religious, but just show their faith in different ways.

I totally agree with that. How many times you go to church doesn't make you a "better" person than others. It is however, a very important place for your faith.

religion IS NOT relationship with God. Religion is almost a relationship with other people. I like this definition from Wikipedia: "Religion is a cultural system that creates powerful and long-lasting meaning, by establishing symbols that relate humanity to beliefs and values". As you can see, the god doesn't make the religion; in fact, there are religion without gods.

Cultural system? So you go to church or you believe because society makes you? Or you go to church to meet new people? Or you just you don't have a mind of your own and you blindly read what the internet or wikipedia say?

Oh so the church is like a cafeteria.

I can see how one religion can have one God, or many Gods, or other entities as Gods (like Nature, trees etc) but i can't see any religion without any God. What religion is that?

Edited by something better
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second you dina. I do not understand how religion can exist without G-D or some sort of belied. With out it, religion is not religion. Without a belief it's just some actions you are doing. Prayer without belief is just talking. I can't understand how you can separate G-D from religion. I don't do certain things because society tells me too. That's crazy. I do them because I follow G-D and in my religion we have certain things we do to follow them. Farther, I don't do these things to have a relationship with other people. Hahahaha what I pray so that I am closer to other people?! That makes no sense! I dd it so that I have a relationship with G-D. G-D made everything in my religion. I have no idea which you are talking about Will. But, I don't follow a person, I follow G-D.

Cultural system? So you go to church or you believe because society makes you? Or you go to church to meet new people? Or you just you don't have a mind of your own and you blindly read what the internet or wikipedia say?

Oh so the church is like a cafeteria.

I can see how one religion can have one God, or many Gods, or other entities as Gods (like Nature, trees etc) but i can't see any religion without any God. What religion is that?

Budahism is a religion without god, for example. There's a religion about the metal and about star treck...

Yeah, it's a cultural system. You can't put me as an example, because I'm not a religious. A lot of religious are religious because of their parents, or because of their culture; you can't deny it...

@Arie ("I don't do certain things because society tells me too. That's crazy. I do them because I follow G-D")

Here's my question, how do you know that the things you do are the things that God wants?

Here's my question, how do you know that the things you do are the things that God wants?

I am choosing not to answer this question because I know you Will. you could care less about the answer. You just want to spin me around so you can prove you are right. I am not interested in arguing with you about this over and over again. This is a place for people to come and learn about religions. This is a place where people respect each other and are curious. I have seen your posts in the Christianity thread and I know whats going to happen if I choose to answer. My opinion and ideas are not going to change about this matter.

My point in responding to you initially was just to share my opinion to everyone on here, I disagree. I believe religion has everything to do with G-D and I don't understand how you cn tak G-D , or any belief, put of at equation. If you do, then you don't have a religion. You have a community.

I am choosing not to answer this question because I know you Will. you could care less about the answer. You just want to spin me around so you can prove you are right. I am not interested in arguing with you about this over and over again. This is a place for people to come and learn about religions. This is a place where people respect each other and are curious. I have seen your posts in the Christianity thread and I know whats going to happen if I choose to answer. My opinion and ideas are not going to change about this matter.

I saw this coming xD Ok, fair enough. But I think the other guys want to know the answer ;O

I believe religion has everything to do with G-D and I don't understand how you cn tak G-D , or any belief, put of at equation. If you do, then you don't have a religion. You have a community.

You're right Arie, I don't have a religion. I have a relationship with God

Edited by Will

I saw this coming xD Ok, fair enough. But I think the other guys want to know the answer ;O

You're right Arie, I don't have a religion. I have a relationship with God

So because I am part of a religion I don't have a relationship with G-D?! That is extremely offensive Will.

Edited by Arie

My point in responding to you initially was just to share my opinion to everyone on here, I disagree. I believe religion has everything to do with G-D and I don't understand how you cn tak G-D , or any belief, put of at equation. If you do, then you don't have a religion. You have a community.

I love you, i really really love you!

You're right Arie, I don't have a religion. I have a relationship with God[/font]

I've been saying in the past posts that for some people, including myself, being religious presupposes you have faith and you share a special bond with God. I got insulted when i thought Joe meant what you're saying now, and yet you say it now in an an offensive manner. Yes i got your opinion that according to you religion is NOT a relationship with God, but what you're implying over here is upseting^

So because I am part of a religion I don't have a relationship with G-D?! That is extremely offensive Will.

If you understand that from what I said, I'm not gonna waste my time with you xD

Ok, for those who don't get upset easily: I like this illustration, what do you think of that?

@Dina, aw love you too Hun!

@Will, that is rude. As Keren staited in the rules, please be nice and respectful of others.

If you understand that from what I said, I'm not gonna waste my time with you xD

this is very disrespectful, if you can't be respectful of other people's opinions than maybe this isn't the right thread for you to have a discussion in.

I think the real debate here is the difference between Christianity and other religions.So from what I've gathered from everybody's comments the issue is with how a person represents themselves within religion or not.

I liked your graphic Will. I thought it illustrated the differences between Christianity and the actual act of religion very well. It's interesting to see how Christians within their religion combine everything. Religion is so complex to think about! Veeeeery interesting. It seems from the graphic that the "religion" column shows people as very independent and reliant on themselves while the christian column defines them as dependent on God. While this is in a way true, it's important not to generalize because I'm sure there are many Christians (myself included) that aren't lacking in responsibility and are working their way to a salvation (or whatever other afterlife there may be).

Each column has their pros in cons, such as the Religion column "trusting self", and christianity "trusting God" - whichever is better as seen as in the eye of the beholder.

That's what religion AND faith really is, isn't it? People are so different and complex, I don't think there can be one set definition of "relgion" or "faith". My personal opinion is that when religion is stripped down to the BARE bones, like, the most baaaaaasic of definitions, it looks like a ritual that may or may not involve god and also can revolve around cultures - will's right, there are religions such as jedi, the flying spaghetti monster (which symbolizes a religious parody), etc, that represent things that are significant today. Faith can be much more ambiguous and can be included with or without relgion.

Interesting opinions, guys. But lets keep it a little more level headed, shall we? No accusations please and thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd never have thought this would get so emotional.

And we haven't even gotten into discussing that christian doctrine "...there's no way to salvation but the lord..." and what it implies regarding other faiths/religions.

I'd never have thought this would get so emotional.

And we haven't even gotten into discussing that christian doctrine "...there's no way to salvation but the lord..." and what it implies regarding other faiths/religions.

Mmm I have an interesting story about that. I was talking to my Uncle Mike tonight, who is extremely Catholic, and I was telling him how I was going to non-denominational christian worship the past few days and was talking about good friday today and he was like, "well, too bad you're not going to any catholic services. we know how to do it right." and I was like "mm...yeah. okay. it's the same God, I don't think it really matters."

That really, really frustrates me.

• 3 months later...

My faith consists of and is based in Jesus Christ. Christ taught us that religion is irrelevant; what matters is your heart. Love for all fellow men, for God, and a relationship with Jesus Christ.

Mmm I have an interesting story about that. I was talking to my Uncle Mike tonight, who is extremely Catholic, and I was telling him how I was going to non-denominational christian worship the past few days and was talking about good friday today and he was like, "well, too bad you're not going to any catholic services. we know how to do it right." and I was like "mm...yeah. okay. it's the same God, I don't think it really matters."

That really, really frustrates me.

God once inspired me with a quaint little saying:

The one Zarathustra called Ahura Mazda, I follow.

The one Paul, John, and Peter called Jesus Christ, I follow.

The one Krishna called Brahman, I follow.

The one the American Indians called the Great Mystery, I follow.

The one Muhammad called Allah, I follow.

The one Moses called YHVH, I follow.

The One who named HIMSELF as I AM THAT I AM, I follow.

The Ultimate One that dwells throughout the entire universe, God, I follow, I worship, I love like I do no other.

I do believe that sums up your point.

The Ultimate One that dwells throughout the entire universe, God, I follow, I worship, I love like I do no other.

I love this!!! Thanks for sharing that!!!

I love this!!! Thanks for sharing that!!!

Anytime. It is my credo; it is how I live. Feel free to share it and pass it along. So long as you credit God, not me.

Edited by Revan

Anytime. It is my credo; it is how I live. Feel free to share it and pass it along. So long as you credit God, not me.

Hahaha will do!! I am for sure going to save it!!! Did someone write that, say it? I mean, how did you come by it?

God once inspired me with a quaint little saying:

That sums up my point quite nicely! And that is how I try to live my life as well...God is too big for one religion/one name. I love this quote so much!!

• 1 month later...

They are two totally different things. I may be atheist but I have faith. And I'm so sick of people saying just because we don't believe in someone/higher power doesn't mean we don't have faith. For me faith is the feeling and knowing something good can happen. Having faith things will get better. Having faith your loved ones will be okay. I have faith that things will get better. But I am not on my knees every night to feel it. It comes from me and me alone, not some higher power. Like mentioned earlier, religion is following a religion. Believing in a higher power.

My two cents for now. :rolleye:

Edited by Stan'sMommy

They are two totally different things. I may be atheist but I have faith. And I'm so sick of people saying just because we don't believe in someone/higher power doesn't mean we don't have faith. For me faith is the feeling and knowing something good can happen. Having faith things will get better. Having faith your loved ones will be okay. I have faith that things will get better. But I am not on my knees every night to feel it. It comes from me and me alone, not some higher power. Like mentioned earlier, religion is following a religion. Believing in a higher power.

My two cents for now. :rolleye:

This is such fantastic input! I've mentioned before in other topics that if I were athiest, personally I'd give my own life meaning just as I have meaning now. It might not be to a higher power but I think a common misconception among religious people about athiests is that their life is meaningless. I don't think this is the case at all, and you have just proved it! Faith is definitely an important point of anything - religion or not. I think that religion is, a lot of the time, waiting for things to get better and having FAITH that God will come through for us. It becomes really complicated because of the God thing - a belief in a higher power isn't an easy thing to have (imo). Thank you for such a great and insightful post!

This is such fantastic input! I've mentioned before in other topics that if I were athiest, personally I'd give my own life meaning just as I have meaning now. It might not be to a higher power but I think a common misconception among religious people about athiests is that their life is meaningless. I don't think this is the case at all, and you have just proved it! Faith is definitely an important point of anything - religion or not. I think that religion is, a lot of the time, waiting for things to get better and having FAITH that God will come through for us. It becomes really complicated because of the God thing - a belief in a higher power isn't an easy thing to have (imo). Thank you for such a great and insightful post!

Haha, you're welcome!! Yes, faith comes from within and wanting to do something for YOU. You can be just as happy and have meaning in life as someone who follows a set religion. Isn't life all about having a job you enjoy, a place to call home, and for some, raising a happy family? Who says you have to be religious in order to do any of that? It's all about believing in yourself and imo, reaching to a higher power doesn't need to be done. I think sometimes people are afraid of life and have nowhere else to turn. I think there are some things you can't be afraid of or it will take over. I used to be afraid of death but with my faith that I will go onto my happy place one day, my own nirvana, is what makes me feel okay about it. I don't have to fear death because I don't fear I will be going to a hell. And that makes me happy indeed. :)

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I believe in Hindu religion and like to worship Krishna idol . my personal option is that every religion is best and it's own place , so do not like to compare religion .

when we talk about religion and it faith Then we see there is lot of difference so i think both are two separate issues .

Hindu religion is third largest religion in world ,

me and my family like to go temple every day because we strongly believe in Hindu religion

Edited by kriahna