The Emma-Watson.net Forum

As many of you know, I am the only Jewish person on this site. Many of you have asked me a lot of questions and others have posed a great interest. Thanks to Karen we now have a place to discuss it! Ask away! I will answer every question as detailed as I can!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as a catholic, we have been "people of the book" for thousands of years now. I'm curious as to how the Israel-palestine came about - i know a little but I've never really learned about it. I would also like to know exactly how Judaism differs from christianity. I read that the Jewish believe that Christ has already been to earth and catholics believe that he's coming - or something like that. Maybe I got it mixed up? :P but yeah, that was what I was curious about. :)

Well the Israel-palastian conflict is a complicated and detailed topic. I guess the base of it is really that we both believe the land is ours. We both believe that we have been there e longest. But beyond that it gets complicated. If you have a specific event on mind I would be happy to shed some light on it.

The main difference is that Judaism does not recognize christ as the messiah. We don't believe in Jesus at all except that he was a man who did live. But beyond that we don't believe. We believe that the messiah has yet to come, but that it's going to be someone knew.

I hope that was the answers you were looking for!

Well the Israel-palastian conflict is a complicated and detailed topic. I guess the base of it is really that we both believe the land is ours. We both believe that we have been there e longest. But beyond that it gets complicated. If you have a specific event on mind I would be happy to shed some light on it.

From what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Jews were ousted from Israel/Judea somewhere close to the end of the Roman occupation. Israel was part of the Byzantine Empire(aka Eastern Roman Empire) until they lost control of the land around 600AD when it was claimed by the Arab caliphate. It was under Arab control until the turn of the 20th century when there was a mass influx of Jews into the area, particularly form Europe (although Jewish immigration back into the region dates back to the Spanish Inquisition) and began to settle in the region. Since then there have been a non-stop fight over control of the land. The establishment of Israel as a political state in the 1940s is left up to a whole other subject so I'll leave that out.

I do have particular views about the current state and future of Israel but I'm leaving that out too. That's a whole other subject as well and it's more about Armageddon rather than anything relevant.

---

Another question for you Arie. What exactly does it mean when one cannot "work" on the Sabbath? I know quite a few businesses in the mall near here are run by Israeli immigrants and I notice that they never work on Saturdays. That I can understand that but I've also heard other things such as a Jewish person on the Sabbath can't do lets say chores or personal projects during the Sabbath.

Edited by sirbenedictvs

---

Another question for you Arie. What exactly does it mean when one cannot "work" on the Sabbath? I know quite a few businesses in the mall near here are run by Israeli immigrants and I notice that they never work on Saturdays. That I can understand that but I've also heard other things such as a Jewish person on the Sabbath can't do lets say chores or personal projects during the Sabbath.

From what I see that as, is that the Sabbath is Gods holy day (Sunday) and because it is its a day where you dont work.

As far as Im aware its taken from Genesis 2:1-3. Im going to quote it from my NLT bible.

"2. So the creation of the heavens and the earth and everything in them was completed. On the seventh day God had finished his work of creation, so he rested from his work. And God blessed the seventh day and declared it holy, because it was the day when he rested from all his work of creation."

So yeah, thats my understanding.

I dont know if the Jewish dont work on the Sabbath or not, but because Jesus preformed miracles on the Sabbath the pharisees where critical of him and asked him why he did so, Jesus said "If you house fell down a well on the Sabbath, would you not fetch it out?". Meaning it was ok to work on the Sabbath...

...I think.

From what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Jews were ousted from Israel/Judea somewhere close to the end of the Roman occupation. Israel was part of the Byzantine Empire(aka Eastern Roman Empire) until they lost control of the land around 600AD when it was claimed by the Arab caliphate. It was under Arab control until the turn of the 20th century when there was a mass influx of Jews into the area, particularly form Europe (although Jewish immigration back into the region dates back to the Spanish Inquisition) and began to settle in the region. Since then there have been a non-stop fight over control of the land. The establishment of Israel as a political state in the 1940s is left up to a whole other subject so I'll leave that out.

I do have particular views about the current state and future of Israel but I'm leaving that out too. That's a whole other subject as well and it's more about Armageddon rather than anything relevant.

---

Good question Jeremy! Yes we observe the sabbath on Saturday because it was written that when G-D created the world he rested on the 7th day. We believe that since G-D rested on this day that it is sort of an elevated day. Meaning, it is a holy day and therefor we must rest. "resting" means exactly as it sounds. We do not engage in any sort of work. "work" has been defended by 34 malachot, which literally means work. There are 34 basic things we do not engage in. But from those 34 it umbrellas out to a crazy number. It gets sort of complicated from here. But that is why I am never online Friday nights and Saturday. We don't use anything that involves any tiny bit of electricity. We don't work. We rest. It's a day to be with family, to study, to pray. It is truly an amazing day because it really forces us to put life to the side. It forces us to be buissensss and materialism on the back burner. Instead we focus on what is truly important. Family, religions, ect. Does that make sense?

From what I see that as, is that the Sabbath is Gods holy day (Sunday) and because it is its a day where you dont work.

As far as Im aware its taken from Genesis 2:1-3. Im going to quote it from my NLT bible.

"2. So the creation of the heavens and the earth and everything in them was completed. On the seventh day God had finished his work of creation, so he rested from his work. And God blessed the seventh day and declared it holy, because it was the day when he rested from all his work of creation."

So yeah, thats my understanding.

I dont know if the Jewish dont work on the Sabbath or not, but because Jesus preformed miracles on the Sabbath the pharisees where critical of him and asked him why he did so, Jesus said "If you house fell down a well on the Sabbath, would you not fetch it out?". Meaning it was ok to work on the Sabbath...

...I think.

Well that may be true for christains, but that is not at all how it works for Jews. First off we count Saturday as the seventh day. Therefore our sabbath occurs then. Also, we don't believe in Jesus at all so while he may have said that. We do not follow it. We do not engage in any work on Saturday. That is not say that every Jew on this planet observes the sabbath either. Just like every religion, there are levels.

Edited by Arie
But that is why I am never online Friday nights and Saturday. We don't use anything that involves any tiny bit of electricity. We don't work. We rest. It's a day to be with family, to study, to pray. It is truly an amazing day because it really forces us to put life to the side. It forces us to be buissensss and materialism on the back burner. Instead we focus on what is truly important. Family, religions, ect. Does that make sense?

Thats really awesome, I actually wish that Christians did that. Its awesome that you guys can just throw out all unnecessary things for that day! Its awesome. awesome

Well that may be true for christains, but that is not at all how it works for Jews. First off we count Saturday as the seventh day. Therefore our sabbath occurs then. Also, we don't believe in Jesus at all so while he may have said that. We do not follow it. We do not engage in any work on Saturday. That is not say that every Jew on this planet observes the sabbath either. Just like every religion, there are levels.

Yeah I know that you dont believe in Jesus, that bit was why we still work on a Sunday. I wasnt sure if that was why you dont work on the Sabbath, that was my guess.......... haha. Thats how I thought it worked. But Your jewish so you should have a much better idea than me

Good question Jeremy! Yes we observe the sabbath on Saturday because it was written that when G-D created the world he rested on the 7th day. We believe that since G-D rested on this day that it is sort of an elevated day. Meaning, it is a holy day and therefor we must rest. "resting" means exactly as it sounds. We do not engage in any sort of work. "work" has been defended by 34 malachot, which literally means work. There are 34 basic things we do not engage in. But from those 34 it umbrellas out to a crazy number. It gets sort of complicated from here. But that is why I am never online Friday nights and Saturday. We don't use anything that involves any tiny bit of electricity. We don't work. We rest. It's a day to be with family, to study, to pray. It is truly an amazing day because it really forces us to put life to the side. It forces us to be buissensss and materialism on the back burner. Instead we focus on what is truly important. Family, religions, ect. Does that make sense?

Aha! That explains a lot how some of us are wondering where you are on the weekends :P.

Yeah it does make perfect sense. So basically it's just a Jewish person instead of "cannot do work" must "rest" on the Sabbath as God did.

Edited by sirbenedictvs

That is Really Awesome I Wish Christins Did that because It is very peaceful and a great 2 days to get away from the life on the computer and etc. :)!! but I Always wandered about jewish people now I have a place where i can understand it better

Thanks for making this topic :)

The main difference is that Judaism does not recognize christ as the messiah. We don't believe in Jesus at all except that he was a man who did live. But beyond that we don't believe. We believe that the messiah has yet to come, but that it's going to be someone knew.

I hope that was the answers you were looking for!

Yes Arie! That was very informative :D Yeah, the conflict is really long and complicated and people on both sides or supporters of either side are afraid to get called either anti-semitic or an extremist if they support either the Jews or Muslims. It's really sad, actually.

What also makes me sad is that Christians, Jews, and Muslims are "people of the book" and now it seems that every religion looks for differences instead of the similarities.

Another question, Arie. Well, more of a comment; I was wondering about some of the prayers you say, whether it's before dinner, during the Sabbath, or in Temple. Like, Catholics say the Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, etc, but I don't really know the "fundamental" prayers of Judaism, if you will.

Okay wow, lots to answer! This is so awesome! First off a huge thanks for all your kind words, it makes me feel amazing that you find positive things about my religion. Now to respond.

[Thats really awesome, I actually wish that Christians did that. Its awesome that you guys can just throw out all unnecessary things for that day! Its awesome.

Yeah I know that you dont believe in Jesus, that bit was why we still work on a Sunday. I wasnt sure if that was why you dont work on the Sabbath, that was my guess.......... haha. Thats how I thought it worked. But Your jewish so you should have a much better idea than me

Thank you so much! It really makes me feel amazing that you think so highly of the idea! I have heard of few Christians who do try and abstain from work on Sunday's, but I never heard it as strict as us. It really is amazing, but not easy at all. There are so many days that I just want to get some work done or go chill out with my computer. It is very hard to keep on doing it, and it does get boring lol. Thank you for sharing that point about what Jesus said. I was not aware of it and I was curious about why you guys don't really observe a sabbath in the same way. Now I know! Thanks! :D

Aha! That explains a lot how some of us are wondering where you are on the weekends. Yeah it does make perfect sense. So basically it's just a Jewish person instead of "cannot do work" must "rest" on the Sabbath as God did

Yeah lol. But glad to know I am missed! :D

Exactly! It's much better to say,"it's a day of rest" then,"a day a cannot do work" because that sort of makes more positive. :P

i know this could come across as offensive, but it is not intended to be in any way shape or form. Arie do you get discriminated against because of your religion or has that sort of stuff stopped now?

not offensive at all!! Thank you for asking! Unfortunately, the answer is yes. I have been yelled at many times while walking to temple on the sabbath. My high school received many many threatening letters. I have been even yelled at in public places before such as a movie rental place. It sucks. It hurts like crazy and it scares me. However, I think it's something that will never stop. Humans are never going to like people who are different, and I will always be different. But, because of how supportive people are on here I am beginning to have some hope.

]That is Really Awesome I Wish Christins Did that because It is very peaceful and a great 2 days to get away from the life on the computer and etc. !! but I Always wandered about jewish people now I have a place where i can understand it better. thanks for making this topic.

Aw thanks Hun! I really appreciate it! Well, you can always take it upon yourself to do certain things on Sunday. You can try not to work, or make sure its a day you spend with friends or family. Maybe don't watch tv or something? Not a problem! I am always open to any question you may have!

Yes Arie! That was very informative Yeah, the conflict is really long and complicated and people on both sides or supporters of either side are afraid to get called either anti-semitic or an extremist if they support either the Jews or Muslims. It's really sad, actually. What also makes me sad is that Christians, Jews, and Muslims are "people of the book" and now it seems that every religion looks for differences instead of the similarities.Another question, Arie. Well, more of a comment; I was wondering about some of the prayers you say, whether it's before dinner, during the Sabbath, or in Temple. Like, Catholics say the Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, etc, but I don't really know the "fundamental" prayers of Judaism, if you will.

Okay awesome! I am glad I can help!

Indeed, it is extremely hard. In fact, I used to speak to a lovely girl on the old forums. She was a Palestinian Arab and I am Jewish and have lived in Israel. At first are discussion was quite heated and at time nasty, nurse actually got to the point of becoming friends. We often discussed how much we both hated Hamas and enlivened each other on many different things. It was truly amazing how our societies look badly at each other. How we think the other so much hates us. How we so much find each other evil. If everyone just stood back for a minute and remembered that we are all human, I think it would be very different. But if we keep looking at each other as animals, then we will all continue to act like animals. Even I find it hard to not look at an Arab I see on the street with a nasty look or think bad of them. It is something I am working on really hard. Something that I think we all need to work on. In fact, there is a wonderful movie out called Arranged. It is about a religious Arab girl and an orthodox Jewish girl befriending each other and realizing how much they have in common. It's truly amazing! Sorry I sort of got off on a rant there lol.

I definitely agree with the statement. In fact, I am so used to being told I am wrong as a Jew or being told off that o often don't realize that people aren't targeting me anymore. I used to get yelled at all the time on these sites. But you are all being so supportive, times are changing. We all need to focus more on the similarities. We all need to find a way to unite.

Prayer is a huge part of Judaism. We have three main prayers a day. Mourning (shacharit), afternoon (mincha), and evening (mariv). These prayer coincide with the daily sacrifices that were brought in the time when we had our temple in Jerusalem, the Beit hamikdash. Which literally means the house of holiness. If you would like I can send you the make up of these prayers and all that, but it is very long. I am sure also you can find something online. We use a siddur ro pray. I am sure you can find and English siddur online, just look on google or I can help you. Beyond that we have special blessings we say both before and after eating or drinking anything. There are different ones for different food groups. These are blessing though, not actual prayers. Our blessing consist of Baruch atah Adoni Elokanu melech Haolam ( blessed are you G-D, lord and king of the universe) and then something specific for that blessing, or bracha as we call it. You can for sure find examples online, just type in blessing over food or anything else you want to find. We wash before eating bread and then say a specific blessing, then have a longer blessing after. We have shorter blessing to say after other foods. There is literally a blessing for everything. We believe it's is crazy important to be constantly remembering G-Ds hand in every little thing so we always thanks him. There are special prayers for the sabbath and other holidays. I can go into more detail about the structure and stuff but that may be better done in a PM or e-mail where I can include actual texts. Hope that helps!

Also, Do Jewish people get offended or upset by Christians saying God or Yahweh? instead of G-D

great question! We don't get offended, I mean well some might but I don't. But we do believe that G-Ds name has a lot of holiness to it. There are few different opinions about God V.S. G-D. We choose not to write God out because we believe that when you right it out, it can't be erased since it is holy. However, most people agree that online is much different since it is not exactly written or erased in the same way.I write G-D more out of habit them anything else. Also, many people believe that it doesn't matter at all because English words don't have any holiness to us. We call G-D, Hashem which literally means "the name". We never ever ever ever use Yaweh, in fact it even made me nervous to write it. I do not know if you are familiar with the Hebrew way to write it. But we don't even say that out loud ever. We believe that we are not holy enough to use it. Also, any piece of paper were Yaweh is written out in Hebrew cannot be thrown away, it has to be burned. There is a whole special process for it. Old holy books must be disposed in this way ect. We never write it out ourselves, and it cannot be erased. But again, that is only true for the Hebrew form. We refer to G- D as Adoni in prayer. That translates into lord. I think that mostly covers all the different names. Oh no one more, elokainu is also one, I think that also translates into lord. Hope that makes sense!

i think that it is sickening being abused for believing in something it should be stopped.

I wholeheartedly agree! So we must all try our hardest to except everyone, their beliefs, their personalities, ect.

great question! We don't get offended, I mean well some might but I don't. But we do believe that G-Ds name has a lot of holiness to it. There are few different opinions about God V.S. G-D. We choose not to write God out because we believe that when you right it out, it can't be erased since it is holy. However, most people agree that online is much different since it is not exactly written or erased in the same way.I write G-D more out of habit them anything else. Also, many people believe that it doesn't matter at all because English words don't have any holiness to us. We call G-D, Hashem which literally means "the name". We never ever ever ever use Yaweh, in fact it even made me nervous to write it. I do not know if you are familiar with the Hebrew way to write it. But we don't even say that out loud ever. We believe that we are not holy enough to use it. Also, any piece of paper were Yaweh is written out in Hebrew cannot be thrown away, it has to be burned. There is a whole special process for it. Old holy books must be disposed in this way ect. We never write it out ourselves, and it cannot be erased. But again, that is only true for the Hebrew form. We refer to G- D as Adoni in prayer. That translates into lord. I think that mostly covers all the different names. Oh no one more, elokainu is also one, I think that also translates into lord. Hope that makes sense!

Thats cool, I knew that you didnt write it because of its holiness. If Im correct, Yahweh may not be the correct way to write it becuse it was always written Y-W-H? because its too holy to write the whole name? Thats what I heard anyway....

Its amazing how much of Judaism is similar to Christianity, until Christians bring Jesus in to the picture haha.

Thats cool, I knew that you didnt write it because of its holiness. If Im correct, Yahweh may not be the correct way to write it becuse it was always written Y-W-H? because its too holy to write the whole name? Thats what I heard anyway....

Its amazing how much of Judaism is similar to Christianity, until Christians bring Jesus in to the picture haha.

You are right and wrong at the same time lol. English is no problem, it's writing it on in Hebrew that is the issue. The letters are a vav, a hey, a vay, and a hey. Which sort of translates into a Y and an H, and Y and H. Or I for the y s. We don't even say the those Hebrew letters out loud in order. We always have to put some other words in the middle. It's kind of complicated to explain on here lol. But the point is, that in he re we don't use that name because of the holiness it contains. Oh, and thanks... I think it cool too. I like that we have this defined line between us and G-D in this situation. Meaning, we recognize that we are not on the same level. This helps us remember who we are.

indeed it is! Excluding the new testament we do follow all the same things to a certain extant. This is why it never made since to me how a christian could be anti-Semitic and such.

I definitely agree with the statement. In fact, I am so used to being told I am wrong as a Jew or being told off that o often don't realize that people aren't targeting me anymore. I used to get yelled at all the time on these sites. But you are all being so supportive, times are changing. We all need to focus more on the similarities. We all need to find a way to unite.

Prayer is a huge part of Judaism. We have three main prayers a day. Mourning (shacharit), afternoon (mincha), and evening (mariv). These prayer coincide with the daily sacrifices that were brought in the time when we had our temple in Jerusalem, the Beit hamikdash. Which literally means the house of holiness. If you would like I can send you the make up of these prayers and all that, but it is very long. I am sure also you can find something online. We use a siddur ro pray. I am sure you can find and English siddur online, just look on google or I can help you. Beyond that we have special blessings we say both before and after eating or drinking anything. There are different ones for different food groups. These are blessing though, not actual prayers. Our blessing consist of Baruch atah Adoni Elokanu melech Haolam ( blessed are you G-D, lord and king of the universe) and then something specific for that blessing, or bracha as we call it. You can for sure find examples online, just type in blessing over food or anything else you want to find. We wash before eating bread and then say a specific blessing, then have a longer blessing after. We have shorter blessing to say after other foods. There is literally a blessing for everything. We believe it's is crazy important to be constantly remembering G-Ds hand in every little thing so we always thanks him. There are special prayers for the sabbath and other holidays. I can go into more detail about the structure and stuff but that may be better done in a PM or e-mail where I can include actual texts. Hope that helps!

That was so awesome arie, I never knew all of that before. It's amazing that Judaism incorporates God into literally everything in a daily routine! So amazing, although it must be fairly time consuming! I know that many religions are encouraged to pray throughout the day but I don't know many people that actually do that (I'm guilty -_-) so it seems like kind of a foolproof way to keep God in your life by having so many prayers! So good :D I never knew about Yaweh either. We talked about that in church today, how Jesus used the words "I am" when he raised Lazarus up from the dead and how that ties in to when Moses went to Mt. Sinai and God told him he was "I am". So yeah :D but thats incredible, I never even thought that writing Yaweh in Hebrew would be such a sacred thing. I guess I can understand it though, it's like calling God to his highest name.

That was so awesome arie, I never knew all of that before. It's amazing that Judaism incorporates God into literally everything in a daily routine! So amazing, although it must be fairly time consuming! I know that many religions are encouraged to pray throughout the day but I don't know many people that actually do that (I'm guilty ) so it seems like kind of a foolproof way to keep God in your life by having so many prayers! So good I never knew about Yaweh either. We talked about that in church today, how Jesus used the words "I am" when he raised Lazarus up from the dead and how that ties in to when Moses went to Mt. Sinai and God told him he was "I am". So yeah but thats incredible, I never even thought that writing Yaweh in Hebrew would be such a sacred thing. I guess I can understand it though, it's like calling God to his highest name

Aw thanks! Well I am so happy to inform you of something new! Yeah I agree it's really amazing, but you are right it is time consuming and it isn't easy. I sort of feel like Judaism incorporated G-Din every tiny thing and overloaded us so that we would at least do someone. Meaning, we have all the options so we end up doing more or we end up doing what is best for us personally. Rather then giving us a few choices and us having to make those specific things mean something. For example, I too have a hard time with a structured prayer three times a day. But, since I have the option of every blessing throughout the day and all the prayers I don't feel as bad if I miss one. Because if I miss one, I will still have done something. Rather then only having one option and missing that one time. We have a million different ones. Of course it doesn't mean you should pick and choose. Many people will tell you it is a huge sin to not do every tiny little ing. But to me? It means G-D is acknowledging at I am human. He has already set up a system were I can't fail. There are to many different things for me to do. Its a fail proof system. Does that make any sense?

I definitely agree with what you wrote about prayer. It is not easy. I am guilty of it too. But I feel like, as long as I keep G-D in my thoughts all day, I am fine. As long as I acknowledge him throughout the day then I am fine. yes, it truly is a fool proof way and that is exactly it's intent! To never forget that their is some hint bigger then us. I think many people need a little remembrance in that fact throughout the day, it is healthy dose of perspective. For example, let's say I am currently in a dance production and I am the lead role. If I am doing well, it may start to go to my head ect. But then we have a break and I sit down to take a drink of water or eat snack. Well, I have to say a blessing first. Then I remember who I am and what I believe in. I may realize that my role is going to my head ect. I think that is a really good system to have in anyone's life.

That is very interesting about Jesus. Thank you for sharing! Yes, I agree. I am not on G-Ds level so why should I be able to use that? It's not only that we don't write it, we don't say it either. To the point where we don't even say the letters out loud in consecutive order. There has to be some other word in between. To the point where in Hebrew the numbers 15 and 16 are different then what they should be. We use different letters for them because otherwise they would be two of the letters in Yaweh. It may seem a little crazy now that I am thinking about it lol. This is all normal to me, I never realized how weird it is haha

What are the Jewish rules on tattoos?

A lot of Christians dont think its acceptable, but there are some things that Jesus does and says that kind of blur the line. And Judaism is about the old testament. What are your thoughts on Leviticus 19:28?

What are the Jewish rules on tattoos?

A lot of Christians dont think its acceptable, but there are some things that Jesus does and says that kind of blur the line. And Judaism is about the old testament. What are your thoughts on Leviticus 19:28?

tattoos are not allowed. We also extend that passage to other things as well. (smoking, drugs, certain piercings ect.). The funny part is, I am actually would love to get a tattoo!! I find them wicked cool.... Oh well.... Lol

tattoos are not allowed. We also extend that passage to other things as well. (smoking, drugs, certain piercings ect.). The funny part is, I am actually would love to get a tattoo!! I find them wicked cool.... Oh well.... Lol

Man that sucks for you! Cool about the smoking and drugs, I hate them! (as well as booze).

I dont know if the Jewish version of the old testament is worded any different, but taken straight from my bible Leviticus 19:28 says,

"Dont cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the LORD"

And the 3 verses above are about not cutting your hair or practicing witchcraft. The way I see it is that not getting tattoos is in context with the other verses, so dont do it in a ritualistic way like Pagans did. I think tattoos are cool, Im going to get them, I just think that you shouldnt get them in memoriam of someone or not just something random and silly. I want a full sleeve and it will be completely dedicated to God and my family. I dont see how God could send someone to hell for publicly displaying their love and affection for Him.

• 1 month later...

Woo old topic!

You said that you dont believe in a physical heaven or hell, and you said that if you get to heaven your spirit becomes part of God. What happens to your spirit in Hell?

My understanding of it all is this. To things can happen when you die. Either your soul will reunite with G-D or it will be cut off. I explain it like your soul sort of dies. We believe in reincarnation so this is a huge deal. Also, since the heart of our religion is spiritual reuniting with our maker is also the most amazing thing. Of course, there are some people who say differently. There are sources who do believe in a more physical hell. But, the bottom line for us is that G-D is above physicality. So neither heaven nor hell could be a physical place.

My understanding of it all is this. To things can happen when you die. Either your soul will reunite with G-D or it will be cut off. I explain it like your soul sort of dies. We believe in reincarnation so this is a huge deal. Also, since the heart of our religion is spiritual reuniting with our maker is also the most amazing thing. Of course, there are some people who say differently. There are sources who do believe in a more physical hell. But, the bottom line for us is that G-D is above physicality. So neither heaven nor hell could be a physical place.

That's really interesting Arie, and it makes a lot of sense! I should convert :P Heaven and hell has always been a long debate, I would think, and many people have different points of view on it. I'm really not sure what I believe; I guess I'll find out when I die. I don't pin my beliefs on the set idea that I'll go to heaven or hell, because for me that narrows down my beliefs quite a bit and I feel that the whole "salvation" issue is something that really separates people in their religions. And Joe and Arie, thanks for rescuing this topic! :)