The Emma-Watson.net Forum

That's really interesting Arie, and it makes a lot of sense! I should convert :P Heaven and hell has always been a long debate, I would think, and many people have different points of view on it. I'm really not sure what I believe; I guess I'll find out when I die. I don't pin my beliefs on the set idea that I'll go to heaven or hell, because for me that narrows down my beliefs quite a bit and I feel that the whole "salvation" issue is something that really separates people in their religions. And Joe and Arie, thanks for rescuing this topic! :)

I definitely agree with you. Before I knew all this I had no idea what to believe about heaven and hell. But still, even though I do have this understanding. I do have e same attitude as you, I can never Truly know until I die. And, I am fine with that because obviously we aren't supposed to know. And the truth is, do I really want to know? Idk, I like mystery hahaha. Thank you for being so supportive as usual Hun!!! You always make me feel so great!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely agree with you. Before I knew all this I had no idea what to believe about heaven and hell. But still, even though I do have this understanding. I do have e same attitude as you, I can never Truly know until I die. And, I am fine with that because obviously we aren't supposed to know. And the truth is, do I really want to know? Idk, I like mystery hahaha. Thank you for being so supportive as usual Hun!!! You always make me feel so great!

Awwww, I try arie! I want everyone to feel great when they come here. That's the entire point, you know? I want people to learn more about themselves and each other in this forum.

Mystery is something that is a key proponent to faith. We don't really know much about what happens; in this world and the next (or even if there is a next world). Not knowing, but still believing, is what faith is. It's not always easy to find our faith; I know I have definitely struggled with it. But once it is found, it is a really great thing, no?

I feel extremely fortunate that I have had the chance to experiment with religions this year, and kind of move around a little between the various christian religions. I feel that it has really strengthened my relationship with God (I almost typed GD arie, your influence on me :P ) and I hope I can continue to have a beneficial relationship with Him.

• 1 month later...

hi arie! I would like to know why you guys dont eat pork? im muslim and i also dont eat pork but i would like to know what your reasons are. also is it the only really religous jewish people who dont eat it?

And do you live in israel?

Great question Rena!!!

Luckily for me it is also an easy question to answer lol. In the bible it is written that we can only eat certain kinds of animals. It is written that kosher animals are animals which both chew their cud and have split hooves. Pigs do not chew their cud and therefore we do not eat them. Is that the same reason why Muslims don't? Or is it something else?

I wouldn't necessarily say that only religious Jews don't eat pig. Actually it's quite the opposite. It the only thing that most Jews observe. Meaning, I have many friends who aren't even remotely religious but they would never eat pig.

I don't not live in Israel currently/ full time. But I have lived there and I do own an apartment in Israel and travel their regularly.

Great question Rena!!!

Luckily for me it is also an easy question to answer lol. In the bible it is written that we can only eat certain kinds of animals. It is written that kosher animals are animals which both chew their cud and have split hooves. Pigs do not chew their cud and therefore we do not eat them. Is that the same reason why Muslims don't? Or is it something else?

I wouldn't necessarily say that only religious Jews don't eat pig. Actually it's quite the opposite. It the only thing that most Jews observe. Meaning, I have many friends who aren't even remotely religious but they would never eat pig.

I don't not live in Israel currently/ full time. But I have lived there and I do own an apartment in Israel and travel their regularly.

thanks for answering!

and well for muslims we dont eat pork b/c the pig is the most unsanitary animal to eat

and thats cool! i visit my family every few years=)

thanks for answering!

and well for muslims we dont eat pork b/c the pig is the most unsanitary animal to eat

and thats cool! i visit my family every few years=)

Not a problem! I am happy to answer any questions you have!

Ah got it, I think I knew that oops. So it's a little similar. We also believe that pigs are unholy ect.

Very cool! Where do they live? (if you don't mind me asking)

Not a problem! I am happy to answer any questions you have!

Ah got it, I think I knew that oops. So it's a little similar. We also believe that pigs are unholy ect.

Very cool! Where do they live? (if you don't mind me asking)

not at all! they live in the west bank

but i've been(and forgive me i really dont know how to phrase this lol) to your side

the malls are really expensive(well i think) btw!

not at all! they live in the west bank

but i've been(and forgive me i really dont know how to phrase this lol) to your side

the malls are really expensive(well i think) btw!

Hahaha no worries I understand. It's a complicated topic. Yeah they are very expensive and nothing ever goes on sale!!!

Oh my goodness rena and arie, I am SO happy that you ladies are talking about this. Even though I STILL don't understand the Israeli-Palestinian conflict this is exactly exactly exactly what I wanted to happen with this forum. I am so happy and content that both of you can talk openly about your respective religions without conflict and are open to learning about the others. And even though you aren't going to drop everything and go convert to something else - you both are staying true to you - you can also respect others in the process of respecting yourself. YAYYY! this is a small victory for me :) And of course, it is a victory for both of you to be so respectful of the other.

Yay! Many blessings upon you both. I hope that both of you never, EVER lose your love for learning!

Oh my goodness rena and arie, I am SO happy that you ladies are talking about this. Even though I STILL don't understand the Israeli-Palestinian conflict this is exactly exactly exactly what I wanted to happen with this forum. I am so happy and content that both of you can talk openly about your respective religions without conflict and are open to learning about the others. And even though you aren't going to drop everything and go convert to something else - you both are staying true to you - you can also respect others in the process of respecting yourself. YAYYY! this is a small victory for me :) And of course, it is a victory for both of you to be so respectful of the other.

Yay! Many blessings upon you both. I hope that both of you never, EVER lose your love for learning!

aww thank you karen! yes, even though this issue has been around as long as i can remember and im sure arie and i both have different views, i wont let those views get away in making freindships or i wont judge a person just on them

arie has been very kind also=)

Karen, you are by far the sweetest, cutest person alive!!!! thanks so much, it means a lot to me that you noticed. I agree, this is definitely a victory to be proud of.

I actually have gotten into some fights online about this subject. It's something I regret and I am not proud of at all. But, someone on the old forums changed me. We began to speak and realized how much we had in common with each other. Not only did we both love fashion, but we shared a lot of the same political views. Which is not common by any means. She opened my eyes and helped me understand the whole situation in a brand new light. I owe my new attitude to her, I owe my openmindeness to her. I can't express how much it has helped me become the more liberal person I am today. And, how much I have passed on the things she shared with me to my friends and family. I have helped changed a lot of their views as well!! So this is also a huge personal victory for me, for being able to understand both sides of a story.

Rena, I would never ever ever dream of putting this in front of making a new friend. I did once, and I will never make that mistake again! Your questions are very honest and refreshing. Thank you so much for taking an interest!!! I look forward to getting to know you even better!

Karen, you are by far the sweetest, cutest person alive!!!! thanks so much, it means a lot to me that you noticed. I agree, this is definitely a victory to be proud of.

I actually have gotten into some fights online about this subject. It's something I regret and I am not proud of at all. But, someone on the old forums changed me. We began to speak and realized how much we had in common with each other. Not only did we both love fashion, but we shared a lot of the same political views. Which is not common by any means. She opened my eyes and helped me understand the whole situation in a brand new light. I owe my new attitude to her, I owe my openmindeness to her. I can't express how much it has helped me become the more liberal person I am today. And, how much I have passed on the things she shared with me to my friends and family. I have helped changed a lot of their views as well!! So this is also a huge personal victory for me, for being able to understand both sides of a story.

Rena, I would never ever ever dream of putting this in front of making a new friend. I did once, and I will never make that mistake again! Your questions are very honest and refreshing. Thank you so much for taking an interest!!! I look forward to getting to know you even better!

thank you arie! i would really like to get to know you and your religion better, and let us both move past this conflict that others cannot seem to get away from

thank you arie! i would really like to get to know you and your religion better, and let us both move past this conflict that others cannot seem to get away from

Same! I would love to get to know you and your religion/culture better! Amen to that! I wish the whole world could do that!!!

aww thank you karen! yes, even though this issue has been around as long as i can remember and im sure arie and i both have different views, i wont let those views get away in making freindships or i wont judge a person just on them

arie has been very kind also=)

It is so important to look past our differences and what divides us to see what makes us similar instead. It's a good feeling, no?

Thank you so much arie! And isn't it funny how people just kind of walk into our lives and can open our eyes to a whole new world? It's truly the work of a higher power. And this is exactly why I don't believe there should be religious conflict - humans make the issues and God (or Allah, or whoever) brings people into our lives to show the absolute absurdity of our arguments and to open our eyes in a new light. I hope and pray that more people have the same experience you both have had and that people can look through the conflicts and realize that in the end, people are people and religion, skin color, sexual orientation, whatever, shouldn't separate them.

It is so important to look past our differences and what divides us to see what makes us similar instead. It's a good feeling, no?

Thank you so much arie! And isn't it funny how people just kind of walk into our lives and can open our eyes to a whole new world? It's truly the work of a higher power. And this is exactly why I don't believe there should be religious conflict - humans make the issues and God (or Allah, or whoever) brings people into our lives to show the absolute absurdity of our arguments and to open our eyes in a new light. I hope and pray that more people have the same experience you both have had and that people can look through the conflicts and realize that in the end, people are people and religion, skin color, sexual orientation, whatever, shouldn't separate them.

I couldn't have said it better myself! I pray for the same thing each and every day!!

I think that it is up to each and every one of us personally to try to make a difference. we can only hold ourselves accountable, you know?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah yay!!!! I am not the only jew anymore!! I have lived in israel too! Where do you live? I have lived in tel aviv, jerusalem, and bet shemesh. I am completely religious but not charedi or anything. I am modern orthodox or dati leumi! This is so exciting for me!!! Lol I don't even care that you are athiest. At least there is someone else here who undersrands what israel is like! I love everyone no matter what their religion is.

You aren't the only jewish person here anymore, I am jewish and i live in israel israel but i am an athiest... Are you a religious person? You are going to the beyt kneset and things like that?

So... I'm going to assume you meant that you're an ethnic Jew rather than saying that you believe in the Jewish faith and are an Atheist at the same time.