The Emma-Watson.net Forum

i have another queston

so i was watching 60 minutes (this news show) and it was about israel and how they are fighting among themselves

like between the really religious jews and the modern day jews

the religous jews want israel to become a religous state while the modern ones obviously dont.

so is this still going on? i think that segmant was taped sometime back

here is the video i was talking about

Edited by Rena
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@histor.... Awesome!!

@Rena, yes. Unfortunately there is a lot of fighting between the different sects. of Judaism. But, I think that is true in every religion. We all want different things. Its tough, but of course there are exceptions and you can't generalize either. But, yes this is an ongoing feud. There is only one part I want to clarify, its not the Modern Jews really its the non-religious Jews.

@histor.... Awesome!!

@Rena, yes. Unfortunately there is a lot of fighting between the different sects. of Judaism. But, I think that is true in every religion. We all want different things. Its tough, but of course there are exceptions and you can't generalize either. But, yes this is an ongoing feud. There is only one part I want to clarify, its not the Modern Jews really its the non-religious Jews.

I know you've explained this one to me a million times, arie! I think the problem for me, when understanding conflicts, is who's considered the "good" guys, and who are considered the "bad" guys. And I know history is a lot more complex than that but it helps me to figure out conflicts that way.

I know you've explained this one to me a million times, arie! I think the problem for me, when understanding conflicts, is who's considered the "good" guys, and who are considered the "bad" guys. And I know history is a lot more complex than that but it helps me to figure out conflicts that way.

Well its hard to answer the question. The "good" guys and "bad" guys depends on which side your on. Also its never like one sect is always right or one is always causing trouble. There are just a lot of different opinions and views. I wouldnt call it good or bad, I would call it different.

Well its hard to answer the question. The "good" guys and "bad" guys depends on which side your on. Also its never like one sect is always right or one is always causing trouble. There are just a lot of different opinions and views. I wouldnt call it good or bad, I would call it different.

Yep, that's right. History, and conflicts, like a lot of other things, is in the eye of the beholder. But it's important to know what's going on in the world as well as it's good to know what went on in the past so we don't repeat it.

Ok, I have a question Arie - what goes on in a Jewish service? I've always wanted to go to temple to see, but I don't know if I would be allowed, do you think I would be able to go if I called in advance and asked? There's actually a temple right down the street from me and I really want to go. I guess that was two questions - what goes on, and would I be allowed to go to a temple to see?

I really want to know about Judism. My question to you Arie is that none of the religion in this world teaches you to opress someone. Nor it asks you to throw people out of there house & start living in there. What the Jewish scriptures says about the occupied Palestine land.

Yep, that's right. History, and conflicts, like a lot of other things, is in the eye of the beholder. But it's important to know what's going on in the world as well as it's good to know what went on in the past so we don't repeat it.

Ok, I have a question Arie - what goes on in a Jewish service? I've always wanted to go to temple to see, but I don't know if I would be allowed, do you think I would be able to go if I called in advance and asked? There's actually a temple right down the street from me and I really want to go. I guess that was two questions - what goes on, and would I be allowed to go to a temple to see?

Of course you would be allowed to go and see!!! Visitors are always welcome!!! What sort of Temple is it? I would suggest going to Reform or Conservative because their services are run so everyone can understand. Meaning, the cater to those who just came of off the street and may not know much and their services are run in English.

I will start by explaining what the Orthodox services are like then quickly explain the others. I am Modern Orthodox which means I am fully religious but I except the Modern world too. So the services I go to are like the most serious I guess you could say. There are a lot of different types. This is going to be long lol.

First there are three services a day. Mourning (Shachrit), Noon (Mincha), and Night (Maariv). All services are run in Hebrew. However, everyone agrees that you should pray in the language you are most comfortable in. In order to have a proper service you need to have a Minyan. A Minyan consists of 10 men over the ages of 13 (Bar Mitzvah Age). We don't belive that women can be counted as a Minyan, but Reform and Conservative do. I can go into detail about the actual services if you like, but that may take FOREVER! So you might want to PM me about that lol. We have a Siddur, which is our prayer book and thats what we use. If you are curious you can totally look up an english translation online. They have that... they even have apps for it so that you can pray on the go!!!! Additionally, On Mondays and Thursdays we also read a small part of that weeks portion from the Torah. (We read a different portion of the Torah each Shabbat and go through a cycle of it once a year. When we finish we have a holiday called Simchat Torah.)

On Shabbat and Holidays we have the same three prayer services but they are little longer. They contain a little more. Also, there is usually a sermon at some point during the services.

We also have prayers we say throughout the entire day. We say a blessing before eating anything and we say a blessing after as well. There are a lot of other blessings that not everyone says. Its hard to keep track. There is a blessing when you wake up, when you go to sleep. There are blessing on rainbows, thunder, and lighting. There are blessing for all sorts of things. Its pretty cool actually!!!

Reform and Conservative services are ran differently. They aren't separate men and women. Women can lead services and read for the congregation from the Torah. They explain a lot more and run most of it in English. Since I have never been to a service that wasn't Orthodox I don't know much beyond this lol. Sorry!!!

Also, there are different services depending on where you came from. Meaning, beyond being conservative, reform, ect. There is also another "type". This just depends on tradition and where your family is from. My family is from Eastern Europe so we are Ashkanaz. Someone whos family comes from Spain is Sphardi. There is Temani which I think are people from Yemen. Ethiopians have very differnt customs too. There are all sort of different "types". So depending on what you are, your customs are different. Very different!!

I hope that helps!!! I am sure you have tons of questions!! Ask away!! lol

Of course you would be allowed to go and see!!! Visitors are always welcome!!! What sort of Temple is it? I would suggest going to Reform or Conservative because their services are run so everyone can understand. Meaning, the cater to those who just came of off the street and may not know much and their services are run in English.

I will start by explaining what the Orthodox services are like then quickly explain the others. I am Modern Orthodox which means I am fully religious but I except the Modern world too. So the services I go to are like the most serious I guess you could say. There are a lot of different types. This is going to be long lol.

First there are three services a day. Mourning (Shachrit), Noon (Mincha), and Night (Maariv). All services are run in Hebrew. However, everyone agrees that you should pray in the language you are most comfortable in. In order to have a proper service you need to have a Minyan. A Minyan consists of 10 men over the ages of 13 (Bar Mitzvah Age). We don't belive that women can be counted as a Minyan, but Reform and Conservative do. I can go into detail about the actual services if you like, but that may take FOREVER! So you might want to PM me about that lol. We have a Siddur, which is our prayer book and thats what we use. If you are curious you can totally look up an english translation online. They have that... they even have apps for it so that you can pray on the go!!!! Additionally, On Mondays and Thursdays we also read a small part of that weeks portion from the Torah. (We read a different portion of the Torah each Shabbat and go through a cycle of it once a year. When we finish we have a holiday called Simchat Torah.)

On Shabbat and Holidays we have the same three prayer services but they are little longer. They contain a little more. Also, there is usually a sermon at some point during the services.

We also have prayers we say throughout the entire day. We say a blessing before eating anything and we say a blessing after as well. There are a lot of other blessings that not everyone says. Its hard to keep track. There is a blessing when you wake up, when you go to sleep. There are blessing on rainbows, thunder, and lighting. There are blessing for all sorts of things. Its pretty cool actually!!!

Reform and Conservative services are ran differently. They aren't separate men and women. Women can lead services and read for the congregation from the Torah. They explain a lot more and run most of it in English. Since I have never been to a service that wasn't Orthodox I don't know much beyond this lol. Sorry!!!

Also, there are different services depending on where you came from. Meaning, beyond being conservative, reform, ect. There is also another "type". This just depends on tradition and where your family is from. My family is from Eastern Europe so we are Ashkanaz. Someone whos family comes from Spain is Sphardi. There is Temani which I think are people from Yemen. Ethiopians have very differnt customs too. There are all sort of different "types". So depending on what you are, your customs are different. Very different!!

I hope that helps!!! I am sure you have tons of questions!! Ask away!! lol

There are so many types of Judaism O.o I guess it's the same in the Christian World, with all the different offshoots of christianity. Catholic, Orthodox (greek, roman, eastern...), protestant (and dont even get started on the different sects of THAT!) It's intense. I think the temple down the street from me must be Reform or Conservative. I definitely don't see people there three times/day and only a few people on fridays and saturdays lol. There are a lot more on holidays, of course. I just don't think there's a huge Jewish population in Medford.

I love that you have so many different types of blessings! Are there other types of orthodox besides modern? So when you say you accept the modern world, would just Orthodox not? And when a person sees Jewish people at the Wall in Jerusalem, what type of Jewish are they? I mean the guys who dress in the suits, very serious...you know what I'm talking about? Umm what else. Oh yeah! I remember reading a story not too long ago about an airplane that had to have an emergency landing because the flight attendants thought there was a terrorist on board. It WASN'T a terrorist, it was a Jewish man with the black box on his arm but they didn't know that. I read the story and I facepalmed, massively. The company is going to start showing videos and stuff of different religious denominations so the flight attendants know. I was like -__-. And you wear shorts and pants, right Arie? I know there are a lot of Jewish women who only wear skirts.

There are so many types of Judaism O.o I guess it's the same in the Christian World, with all the different offshoots of christianity. Catholic, Orthodox (greek, roman, eastern...), protestant (and dont even get started on the different sects of THAT!) It's intense. I think the temple down the street from me must be Reform or Conservative. I definitely don't see people there three times/day and only a few people on fridays and saturdays lol. There are a lot more on holidays, of course. I just don't think there's a huge Jewish population in Medford

I know, its so confusing!!! But, yeah its the same as every religion. Just like how Islam as Sunni and Shiite(sp?) or Hinduism has the cast system. Every religion has different sects. Its crazy hard to understand all of it. Yeah so its probably Reform, but thats good!!! Temples are always super welcoming so you can probably look up the times they have service and just go! No need to call in advance unless you want to talk to someone. I am sure if you call in advance and say you just want to experience it they would set you up with a family to have Shabbat dinner or something. Temples are very welcoming and love guests!! I think its so cool that you want to do that!! I really admire you Karen!!! I truly truly admire you!!!! A ton!!!! Its kind of like how my whole life I have wanted to speak to a Nun so badly. I just think the whole thing is fascinating and I just want to sit down with one. One day I will!!!

I love that you have so many different types of blessings!

I knew you would like that!!! Thats why I made sure to tell you!!! There is actually this book I have that is basically a book of random blessing to say. One I use all the time is the one for losing a lost item. And, guess what, it really works!!! lol

Are there other types of orthodox besides modern? So when you say you accept the modern world, would just Orthodox not?

Yes. Orthodox basically means that you except all the laws and follow them. So there are the Charedim or Chasidim and they do not except the Modern world. There are a million types of them. Those are the ones who dress in suits and what not. Do you know what I am talking about? The women are very covered up. I wear pants and shorts, but nothing above my knee. No sleevles and nothing to low cut. But, they wear like tights everyday and long skirts, long sleeves.

And when a person sees Jewish people at the Wall in Jerusalem, what type of Jewish are they? I mean the guys who dress in the suits, very serious...you know what I'm talking about? Umm what else. Oh yeah! I remember reading a story not too long ago about an airplane that had to have an emergency landing because the flight attendants thought there was a terrorist on board. It WASN'T a terrorist, it was a Jewish man with the black box on his arm but they didn't know that. I read the story and I facepalmed, massively. The company is going to start showing videos and stuff of different religious denominations so the flight attendants know. I was like -__-. And you wear shorts and pants, right Arie? I know there are a lot of Jewish women who only wear skirts

Those people are just what I was describing above!!! There are actually a million different types of them. But, all Jews visit the wall in Israel. Not just them. Yeah that story was crazy!!!!! So I will explain that. Basically when men pray in the mourning they where phalactaries, i don't know how to spell it lol, we call them Tiffilin. It looks like this: The shawl is called a Talit. Thats what that man was putting on.

About dress. We believe in dressing modestly and what that means is a huge debate and there are so many different opinions. Basically I wear pants, even though I am not really supposed to. I have friends who do and friends who don't. I wear shorts, but only like bermuda shorts. I wear short sleeves, but no sleevless. I don't wear anything too tight or anything that is too low cut. But, when I go to Temple I only wear skirts and nicer clothes. But, some people only wear clothes toed shoes. They dont wear any suggestive colors, like red. They don't wear nail polish. Its goes on and on lol.

I knew you would like that!!! Thats why I made sure to tell you!!! There is actually this book I have that is basically a book of random blessing to say. One I use all the time is the one for losing a lost item. And, guess what, it really works!!! lol

Yes. Orthodox basically means that you except all the laws and follow them. So there are the Charedim or Chasidim and they do not except the Modern world. There are a million types of them. Those are the ones who dress in suits and what not. Do you know what I am talking about? The women are very covered up. I wear pants and shorts, but nothing above my knee. No sleevles and nothing to low cut. But, they wear like tights everyday and long skirts, long sleeves.

Those people are just what I was describing above!!! There are actually a million different types of them. But, all Jews visit the wall in Israel. Not just them. Yeah that story was crazy!!!!! So I will explain that. Basically when men pray in the mourning they where phalactaries, i don't know how to spell it lol, we call them Tiffilin. The shawl is called a Talit. Thats what that man was putting on.

About dress. We believe in dressing modestly and what that means is a huge debate and there are so many different opinions. Basically I wear pants, even though I am not really supposed to. I have friends who do and friends who don't. I wear shorts, but only like bermuda shorts. I wear short sleeves, but no sleevless. I don't wear anything too tight or anything that is too low cut. But, when I go to Temple I only wear skirts and nicer clothes. But, some people only wear clothes toed shoes. They dont wear any suggestive colors, like red. They don't wear nail polish. Its goes on and on lol.

In Catholicism, we have patron saints for different things; like Saint Joseph is the patron saint of carpenters because he was one himself, etc. There are saints for musicians, saints for blind people, saints for every day of the year, IT GOES ON. What I was getting to is that Saint Anthony is the patron saint of lost things, so whenever I lose something I say, "Saint Anthony, please come around, something has been lost that can't be found" (just one of those little rhymes that grandparents pass down, ya know?) and then I describe the item (to st. anthony) and it usually turns up! Crazy, right??

It's interesting to read about the different types of modest dress. Yeah, those guys were the ones I was talking about :) hahah we think alike! And I know many Jews go to the wall, I was just thinking about the REALLY orthodox ones. It's funny; I see people come into the visitor's center all the time, and I've seen many different types of Jewish people. We get Jews who wear the suits, hats, and have the curls on the side of their hair, some who just wear the yarmulke, some who don't do anything, etc. and those are just the guys! The women are much more interesting, imo. I saw a woman the other day, from spain, I think, with the star of david necklace. I thought it was cool to see that remnant of judaism in spain considering it was practically wiped out by the Inquisition. I see women with skirts and button downs, with uncovered hair, I see women with shirts, long shirts, and covered hair....little girls with skirts...I mean, I've seen a LOT. The colors thing is interesting. It reminds me of the puritans coming over from england, and they couldn't wear bright colors because they thought it was improper and it would lead to tempation.

In Catholicism, we have patron saints for different things; like Saint Joseph is the patron saint of carpenters because he was one himself, etc. There are saints for musicians, saints for blind people, saints for every day of the year, IT GOES ON. What I was getting to is that Saint Anthony is the patron saint of lost things, so whenever I lose something I say, "Saint Anthony, please come around, something has been lost that can't be found" (just one of those little rhymes that grandparents pass down, ya know?) and then I describe the item (to st. anthony) and it usually turns up! Crazy, right??

Crazy!!! Its so interesting how too religions can be so different yet so similar. Like the idea behind our blessing and your patron saints is soo similar!! That's so interesting!!!

It's interesting to read about the different types of modest dress. Yeah, those guys were the ones I was talking about :) hahah we think alike! And I know many Jews go to the wall, I was just thinking about the REALLY orthodox ones. It's funny; I see people come into the visitor's center all the time, and I've seen many different types of Jewish people. We get Jews who wear the suits, hats, and have the curls on the side of their hair, some who just wear the yarmulke, some who don't do anything, etc. and those are just the guys! The women are much more interesting, imo. I saw a woman the other day, from spain, I think, with the star of david necklace. I thought it was cool to see that remnant of judaism in spain considering it was practically wiped out by the Inquisition. I see women with skirts and button downs, with uncovered hair, I see women with shirts, long shirts, and covered hair....little girls with skirts...I mean, I've seen a LOT. The colors thing is interesting. It reminds me of the puritans coming over from england, and they couldn't wear bright colors because they thought it was improper and it would lead to tempation.

Hahahaha I love reading your description of it all!!! Yeah there are so many different rules and things. Also, none of it is done without meaning. You might see a women wear a certain type of hat and think nothing of it, but actually her sect. only wears that certain type of hat! Its the same for men too!! Its so hard to fully get a grasp of it! And, your comparing it to the puritans is correct for two reasons!! It is also because it can lead to temptation. But, also because these Jews do not except the Modern world. So to compare to something so ancient like puritanism is totally legitimate! Also, just so you know lol, women only cover their hair if they are married. So those are the ones you see wearing hats or wigs. It is kind of crazy that there are so many different ways of dress. I can barely even follow it all!! But, I did enjoy reading an "outsiders" view of it!! lol

I really want to know about Judism. My question to you Arie is that none of the religion in this world teaches you to opress someone. Nor it asks you to throw people out of there house & start living in there. What the Jewish scriptures says about the occupied Palestine land.

What the scriptures can say? When the bible was written the jews were in israel and then we were thrown out of israel, bet there was still a small community of jews in israel... After a long time, when the ottomans occupied this land, jews had started to come to israel(our ancestors land) because of the antisemitism and the zionist ideology, there were arabs here, but they didn't want a state like how that we wanted... The jews settled in empty grounds or bought grounds from the arabs, after the united nations partition plan for palestine, when we declared about our state, 6 arab armys had attacked us and we survived and occupied lands(also in the six day war), the lands that we occupied were joradanian/syrian/egyptian lands, not "palestinian" lands(and we gave some lands back to those states in order to get peace). and really? we throw arab people out of there houses? I think we throwed more jews from their houeses then arabs in order to get peace, you can come to israel and see that there are many arab towns and villages in israel, they have schools here, arabs learn in israeli universities, they have tv shows in israeli channeles, the arabs even also have knesset members(those who passes the laws in israel) and parties...

What the scriptures can say? When the bible was written the jews were in israel and then we were thrown out of israel, bet there was still a small community of jews in israel... After a long time, when the ottomans occupied this land, jews had started to come to israel(our ancestors land) because of the antisemitism and the zionist ideology, there were arabs here, but they didn't want a state like how that we wanted... The jews settled in empty grounds or bought grounds from the arabs, after the united nations partition plan for palestine, when we declared about our state, 6 arab armys had attacked us and we survived and occupied lands(also in the six day war), the lands that we occupied were joradanian/syrian/egyptian lands, not "palestinian" lands(and we gave some lands back to those states in order to get peace). and really? we throw arab people out of there houses? I think we throwed more jews from their houeses then arabs in order to get peace, you can come to israel and see that there are many arab towns and villages in israel, they have schools here, arabs learn in israeli universities, they have tv shows in israeli channeles, the arabs even also have knesset members(those who passes the laws in israel) and parties...

I don't think your intention is to insult anyone here, but what you say might be taken offensively; please choose your words more carefully and try to be as unbiased as possible. It is interesting though, the history you posted - but each side has their own story and there is no "right" or "wrong" answer. We try to keep discussions as level headed and unbiased as possible. Thanks :)

^^thats something good if everyone is getting their rights. Thank you "Arie" for this piece of knowledge.

No sarcasm, please, anyone can contribute to the discussion.

Guys, there will be no fighting or rude comments on this thread.

Thank you, Arie :)

I don't think your intention is to insult anyone here, but what you say might be taken offensively; please choose your words more carefully and try to be as unbiased as possible. It is interesting though, the history you posted - but each side has their own story and there is no "right" or "wrong" answer. We try to keep discussions as level headed and unbiased as possible. Thanks :)

No sarcasm, please, anyone can contribute to the discussion.

Thank you, Arie :)

I am sorry about that, i didn't tryed to insult anyone but it can make you a little pissed when someone is saying terrible things that aren't true about your people, i have bought food today from arabs at a arab city, we didn't throw arabs from here...

I am sorry about that, i didn't tryed to insult anyone but it can make you a little pissed when someone is saying terrible things that aren't true about your people, i have bought food today from arabs at a arab city, we didn't throw arabs from here...

I know how you feel and obviously I agree with you! But, we have to be careful as this is a public forum. Believe me I have gotten in trouble many times for fighting about this exact topic. I know it's hard not to respond, but this isn't the place.

I know how you feel and obviously I agree with you! But, we have to be careful as this is a public forum. Believe me I have gotten in trouble many times for fighting about this exact topic. I know it's hard not to respond, but this isn't the place.

I think (and to histor too) it's hard to listen to generalizations, in any aspect. No one wants to listen to lies but it's important to see where the other person is coming from because to them, it's not a lie it's just what they think or what they've been told.

Oh arie, I meant to reply sooner, but you said how interesting it is to listen to an "outsider's" pov for judiasm. I guess it must be! I can only describe what I see but you know all the technical terms, etc. It must be really weird, lol

where in israel do you live

I still think it's improtant that someone will respond, not to start a fight, just to show our side so people will not hear only one side and will have a choice in what to believe to...

where in israel do you live

20 minutes from jerusalem, near modi'in, you live in israel?

I still think it's improtant that someone will respond, not to start a fight, just to show our side so people will not hear only one side and will have a choice in what to believe to..

I agree! And I do that a lot. But I know the members here. Some just want to start trouble and he was one of them. He was not going to listen to anything you had to say. I know which members to answer and which not too. Some are interested. Some just want to fight. I am not going to fight with someone about this on an online forum... But believe me, I do my fair share of telling everyone all about israel! Also most people here don't think like him. Most people here are very supportive. These are things you will learn once you meet more members.

I agree! And I do that a lot. But I know the members here. Some just want to start trouble and he was one of them. He was not going to listen to anything you had to say. I know which members to answer and which not too. Some are interested. Some just want to fight. I am not going to fight with someone about this on an online forum... But believe me, I do my fair share of telling everyone all about israel! Also most people here don't think like him. Most people here are very supportive. These are things you will learn once you meet more members.

Some people don't want to listen and that is a shame because I know that ALL of you have something amazing to share! Now *makes a whooshing noise* back to topic!

Hmm, I'm out of questions lol. I'm sure once I actually attend a service I will have loads more questions!

I still think it's improtant that someone will respond, not to start a fight, just to show our side so people will not hear only one side and will have a choice in what to believe to...

20 minutes from jerusalem, near modi'in, you live in israel?

no i dont live there my family does but they live in the west bank

• 3 months later...

I found a couple of awesome videos today, by a group called the Maccabeats, an all male Jewish Acapella group. They have a video for Hanukkah, which is found here:http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHwyTxxQHmQ&feature=related , and they also did a cover of One Republic's "Good Life" called "The Book of Good Life" which is for Rosh Hashanah :)

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRaQSbuTiBg&feature=context&context=C3d1c4fcUDOEgsToPDskJ5Hmzvu4dzbH2RwzgOOHXP

The Book of Good Life presents an excellent idea, about living the best you can :) Very inspiring.