The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I found a couple of awesome videos today, by a group called the Maccabeats, an all male Jewish Acapella group. They have a video for Hanukkah, which is found here:http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHwyTxxQHmQ&feature=related , and they also did a cover of One Republic's "Good Life" called "The Book of Good Life" which is for Rosh Hashanah :)

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRaQSbuTiBg&feature=context&context=C3d1c4fcUDOEgsToPDskJ5Hmzvu4dzbH2RwzgOOHXP

The Book of Good Life presents an excellent idea, about living the best you can :) Very inspiring.

Totally missed this post, must have been while I was away!! My apologize.

Yeah the Maccabaats are great. I have mutual friends with them. They are all students of YU, the Jewish college. They even got on a few national tv shows for there songs!!!! Pretty cool! I think they just released a new song!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes you're right arie! It's so cool, they're bringing their faith to life in a really great, modern way. I think a lot of people need that!!

yes you're right arie! It's so cool, they're bringing their faith to life in a really great, modern way. I think a lot of people need that!!

Yeah it's cool. There are a lot of Jewish music groups that are very modern. There seems to be more and more everyday. It's pretty cool. There is this one group I love that put the words of Jewish songs. To modern songs, only appropriate ones obviously. They did a few to Simon and Garfunkel songs but even did one to hey there Delilah and bad romance.

• 2 months later...

arie im not sure if you answered this before, but how do the jews view Jesus?

We don't believe in him. I mean we believe historically that he existed, but we don't believe in him as a prophet or anything. To us, he was just a man.

Are the jews still waiting for a messiah? and how will they know if he is a messsiah? i've always wondered

oh also this is like off topic of religion, but in israel did you have mr. pizzia? in palestine we did and i thought it was the best pizza over there! lol

Are the jews still waiting for a messiah? and how will they know if he is a messsiah? i've always wondered

oh also this is like off topic of religion, but in israel did you have mr. pizzia? in palestine we did and i thought it was the best pizza over there! lol

Yes we are waiting for the Messiah, but we don't know who he is. We know he will be the son of David and there are a few other details in our bible. Throughout history there has been many false messiahs and there still are today. Its one of those things where you never really know until it happens.

I have never heard of it so I am not sure. It's possible!

I was going to create a separate topic, but this is easier (I'm super tired!): Tonight started Passover, one of the main Jewish holy days! It celebrates the story of the Angel of Death passing over houses marked with lamb's blood as one of the final warnings from God to let the Israelites go from Egypt. In the Bible, this story is found in the Old Testament (Exodus, I believe).

So from me to all the Jewish members (only Arie?) of the forum, HAPPY PASSOVER!!!!

I was going to create a separate topic, but this is easier (I'm super tired!): Tonight started Passover, one of the main Jewish holy days! It celebrates the story of the Angel of Death passing over houses marked with lamb's blood as one of the final warnings from God to let the Israelites go from Egypt. In the Bible, this story is found in the Old Testament (Exodus, I believe).

So from me to all the Jewish members (only Arie?) of the forum, HAPPY PASSOVER!!!!

Thanks do much him!! Yeah it's just me here lol.

Passover really just celebrates our exodus from Eygypt. I found it interesting that you chose to pull out the angel of death detail when it isn't so much a big part of the celebrations. Also, we don't exactly believe it was the angel of death. Just wanted to comment on that lol.

Anyways thanks again!!!!!! You are pretty much the only member on here who has said anything to me so yay you!!! Much love!!

That's so interesting, that's how I learned what passover was haha. When the Angel of death literally passed over the houses with the lamb's blood. So it's interesting how the christian inteppretation and the jewish interpretation differ, hmmm!

I hope you had a great time with your family :)

Well we don't really believe the angel of death literally either. But again thats the difference between Judaism an Christianity. We believe an extension of G-D came down, but it wasn't anything physical exactly. We don't believe in the physicality of G-D. We also don't believe in the angel of death. It's sort of something you tell little kids so they understand.

I think across the board Christianity focuses a lot on physicality and that's where our differences are.

Thanks hun!!! Same to you!!!

• 2 months later...

I figure I'm allowed to double post on a thread like this.

Don't know if anyone will read but need to get it out.

I got told today that all Jews are cheep and only help themselves. In my human diversity class, crazy no? It ruined me, sent me right back into my box. Made me terrified of telling people I'm Jewish all over again. Why? It's 2012, why is this still happening?

I figure I'm allowed to double post on a thread like this.

Don't know if anyone will read but need to get it out.

I got told today that all Jews are cheep and only help themselves. In my human diversity class, crazy no? It ruined me, sent me right back into my box. Made me terrified of telling people I'm Jewish all over again. Why? It's 2012, why is this still happening?

Oh arie, I'm so sorry!! It's a shame that negative stereotypes like that still exist today, just like people think asians are bad drivers, all mexicans are illegal, and all christians hate gay people and are trying to "save" everybody. However! You being Jewish is part of you. Just because someone has a negative stereotype of Jewish people doesn't mean that you should hide who you are. In fact, I think that it's all the more reason for you to tell people, and more importantly, show people that you're Jewish!

Here's how I see it: When someone has a negative stereotype of someone or something, the natural reaction is for the person who is being stereotyped is to hide (like you said you felt like). I don't think that's good though! You, being Jewish, are a representative of your faith! You need to show people that not all Jewish people are like that and a stereotype is, in fact, just a stereotype. In the Bible, Jesus says: "“Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me." (Like 9:23) In other words, everyone has a cross they must bear, a burden. It's not supposed to be EASY being a person of faith. In fact, it's very hard! People are always going to judge you, and me, and everyone else. But don't let them make you deny who you are! You should be confident in your faith and I know that you represent Judaism very well!

Oh arie, I'm so sorry!! It's a shame that negative stereotypes like that still exist today, just like people think asians are bad drivers, all mexicans are illegal, and all christians hate gay people and are trying to "save" everybody. However! You being Jewish is part of you. Just because someone has a negative stereotype of Jewish people doesn't mean that you should hide who you are. In fact, I think that it's all the more reason for you to tell people, and more importantly, show people that you're Jewish!

Here's how I see it: When someone has a negative stereotype of someone or something, the natural reaction is for the person who is being stereotyped is to hide (like you said you felt like). I don't think that's good though! You, being Jewish, are a representative of your faith! You need to show people that not all Jewish people are like that and a stereotype is, in fact, just a stereotype. In the Bible, Jesus says: "“Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me." (Like 9:23) In other words, everyone has a cross they must bear, a burden. It's not supposed to be EASY being a person of faith. In fact, it's very hard! People are always going to judge you, and me, and everyone else. But don't let them make you deny who you are! You should be confident in your faith and I know that you represent Judaism very well!

You are amazing!

It is such a shame. I know but when people stay stuff like that it makes you want to hide. I can't hide it, because I am a Jew first. Everything else comes second. It's just so scary when comments like that are made. It makes you feel like you are not in a safe environment.

You are correct and of course I didn't hide. I did reply back to the girl. Then I emailed the teacher about it and she took care of the situation. My proff complimented me for sticking up for myself and saying straight out that I am Jewish. My proff really sent me the sweetest email in the world. It made me feel so much better. I would never hide of course. But it does freak you out. But it isn't like me to hide.

Just think about how much of a close minded idiot that person is. You know it ain't true. Let it go with out a single thought, they clearly don't know what they are talking about.

I know and thanks joe. It means a lot to me that you took the time to post something. It was just so shocking. So unexpected. When stuff like that happens, it really throws you.

you dont have to answer to my post on the complaining thread i just saw this. who ever said that is an idoit. what did you say back to them? i hope they felt stupid.

oh and im not sure if i asked you this before is it true that you can only be jewish if your mom is jewish? is that how it works?

Edited by Rena

you dont have to answer to my post on the complaining thread i just saw this. who ever said that is an idoit. what did you say back to them? i hope they felt stupid.

oh and im not sure if i asked you this before is it true that you can only be jewish if your mom is jewish? is that how it works?

I wrote back right away that the comment was a stereotype that was extremely offensive and that I couldnt believe someone wrote that on a blog for a diversity class. The blog is an assignment for class. Its only my class. Then I wrote that I was Jewish. Then I sent my Proff a long email and told her she had to intervene. My proff felt TERRIBLE and sent me the sweetest email. She yelled at the other student. Who claimed they had no idea. But, really? If you say that to someone in general its rude! How can you have no clue thats offensive? Its mean no matter who you say it about! The comment was deleted as well, which was nice. My proff told me she was thrilled I confronted the other student. So that felt good too. Thank you for your support! I know that you know how this feels more then most people on here.

----

Complicated question to answer for one simple reason. The reason that different um... levels? Of Judaism believe differently. Orthodox and more observant believe you are only considered a Jew if your mother is one. I am Orthodox so that is what I believe. I am not sure about Conservative, but reform believe that you are Jewish if your father is. This mostly has historical background to it. You always knew who the mother was, but the father might have been more tricky. A lot of different cultures and such go by the mother for that reason. Today, its a sticky situation because the reform movement accepts the father. Therefore if a Jewish man marries a nonjewish woman they believe that their kids are Jewish. But, we don't. Which becomes complicated if they start to become more religious. It also gets complicated because most Jews only want to marry Jews. You can convert to Judaism. but that is a whole different conversation. I just wanted to specify that you can be Jewish one other way. I hope that all makes sense! Thanks for the question! Its nice to answer these!

I wrote back right away that the comment was a stereotype that was extremely offensive and that I couldnt believe someone wrote that on a blog for a diversity class. The blog is an assignment for class. Its only my class. Then I wrote that I was Jewish. Then I sent my Proff a long email and told her she had to intervene. My proff felt TERRIBLE and sent me the sweetest email. She yelled at the other student. Who claimed they had no idea. But, really? If you say that to someone in general its rude! How can you have no clue thats offensive? Its mean no matter who you say it about! The comment was deleted as well, which was nice. My proff told me she was thrilled I confronted the other student. So that felt good too. Thank you for your support! I know that you know how this feels more then most people on here.

----

Complicated question to answer for one simple reason. The reason that different um... levels? Of Judaism believe differently. Orthodox and more observant believe you are only considered a Jew if your mother is one. I am Orthodox so that is what I believe. I am not sure about Conservative, but reform believe that you are Jewish if your father is. This mostly has historical background to it. You always knew who the mother was, but the father might have been more tricky. A lot of different cultures and such go by the mother for that reason. Today, its a sticky situation because the reform movement accepts the father. Therefore if a Jewish man marries a nonjewish woman they believe that their kids are Jewish. But, we don't. Which becomes complicated if they start to become more religious. It also gets complicated because most Jews only want to marry Jews. You can convert to Judaism. but that is a whole different conversation. I just wanted to specify that you can be Jewish one other way. I hope that all makes sense! Thanks for the question! Its nice to answer these!

exactly, i hate when someone says that they didnt know that person was something but it's like still why would you say that. i remember once this boy on facebook wrote this comment "what did muslims expect? you can't just expect a country to forgive your religion after it's killed thousands of their people. now their bitching that their mosque's are being vandalized. in my opinion, they should consider themselves lucky that there's a ridiculous amount of laws protecting them" and i went off on him and he was like " in your religion you guys kill whoevers not muslim thats what it says in your quran" and i was like first of all tell me exacty where it says that? show me the exact words because it says nothing like that. this kid is like the only person i actually hate and he couldnt even back himself up he was making up all these things about muslims.

ohhh ok i get it now!

exactly, i hate when someone says that they didnt know that person was something but it's like still why would you say that. i remember once this boy on facebook wrote this comment "what did muslims expect? you can't just expect a country to forgive your religion after it's killed thousands of their people. now their bitching that their mosque's are being vandalized. in my opinion, they should consider themselves lucky that there's a ridiculous amount of laws protecting them" and i went off on him and he was like " in your religion you guys kill whoevers not muslim thats what it says in your quran" and i was like first of all tell me exacty where it says that? show me the exact words because it says nothing like that. this kid is like the only person i actually hate and he couldnt even back himself up he was making up all these things about muslims.

ohhh ok i get it now!

Exactly! Wow that's crazy! People have no idea how peaceful Islam is as a religion. People have no clue what is or isn't in the Koran. I am bothered by the fact that this kid said you guys are lucky that there are so many laws protecting you. I don't know what he is referring too. But, what comes to my mind are laws that do not make a person lucky. I just can't stand that people blame and entire religion. What that kid is talking about, has little to do with actual Islam. I find that all the time, people just can't back themselves up. There were was one kid on this site who kept saying all these things to me about Israel but they made no sense! I am happy to debate, but now with someone who make ridiculous comments. He kept going off about how idiotic it is that Israel speak Hebrew and not Arabic. I tried to explain to him that Hebrew is an ancient language and didn't just pop u[ yesterday but he wouldn't listen. People want to believe what they want to believe. But, its so ridiculous sometimes!

Good! I am happy that made sense!

Exactly! Wow that's crazy! People have no idea how peaceful Islam is as a religion. People have no clue what is or isn't in the Koran. I am bothered by the fact that this kid said you guys are lucky that there are so many laws protecting you. I don't know what he is referring too. But, what comes to my mind are laws that do not make a person lucky. I just can't stand that people blame and entire religion. What that kid is talking about, has little to do with actual Islam. I find that all the time, people just can't back themselves up. There were was one kid on this site who kept saying all these things to me about Israel but they made no sense! I am happy to debate, but now with someone who make ridiculous comments. He kept going off about how idiotic it is that Israel speak Hebrew and not Arabic. I tried to explain to him that Hebrew is an ancient language and didn't just pop u[ yesterday but he wouldn't listen. People want to believe what they want to believe. But, its so ridiculous sometimes!

Good! I am happy that made sense!

i know it was like he wants to hurt/kill us. i brought up how like when timothy mcviegh bombed the building in Oklahoma nobody blamed all white people for it and he said what i was saying was irrelavant and i said how is that irrelavant? also, this was on facebook awhile ago and it totally makes sense " If the person who killed 90+ people in Norway was a Muslim, the Press would have declared him as terrorist. For now though, he is just an 'Assailant ', 'Attacker' (Reuters), 'Gunman' (BBC, CNN & Al Jazeera). Looks like 'Terrorist ' is a name reserved for Muslims? The US Dept of State calls it an 'Act of Violence', Not an 'Act of Terrorism' . Share this status and let the world know, HYPOCRISY is leading us astray"

i love america but i think the biggest problem i have is that people are so ignorant, and it might be the fact that we are in a way geographically isolated but i think it just mainly has to do with the fact that people just don't care. and i say america bc this is where i grew up and live so i know it better than any other country. and it's not all people.

Looks like 'Terrorist ' is a name reserved for Muslims?

It's because terrorism as a word is nowadays shown as a form of violence in order to attain goals religious or ideological in nature. For the most part at least. And Muslim people are known ( and by known I mean are being stereotyped --which is not true) as the most fanatic when it comes to religion. Labels upset me.

Woah I just saw this. The label of Jews, actually Hebrews in general, being cheap and cowards in battle is one of the most common since ancient times. I mean it's so ridiculous I laugh every time I hear it.

So let me share this, back in 1940s when Greece was occupied by Nazis my grandma lived in a city up north where there was a small jewish district. The nazis wanted to kill anyone they saw in public and they were about to kill a little girl. My grandma who was about 14 at this time and was probably the sweetest person I've met, run towards her even if the nazis were pointing guns at her and convinced them she was actually Greek, she was her little sister and told them she was deaf and couldn't also speak (in case they heard her speaking and could understand her by her accent that she could be Hebrew). She saved her life and after some years when my grandma got married she received a congratulation card and a present from her (she had moved back to Israel at that time if I'm not mistaken). She had bought her a freaking expensive house in my current city. A freaking house. I mean yeah sure Jewish people are cheap. Really cheap. Oh and they obviously only care about themselves :P

i know it was like he wants to hurt/kill us. i brought up how like when timothy mcviegh bombed the building in Oklahoma nobody blamed all white people for it and he said what i was saying was irrelavant and i said how is that irrelavant? also, this was on facebook awhile ago and it totally makes sense " If the person who killed 90+ people in Norway was a Muslim, the Press would have declared him as terrorist. For now though, he is just an 'Assailant ', 'Attacker' (Reuters), 'Gunman' (BBC, CNN & Al Jazeera). Looks like 'Terrorist ' is a name reserved for Muslims? The US Dept of State calls it an 'Act of Violence', Not an 'Act of Terrorism' . Share this status and let the world know, HYPOCRISY is leading us astray"

i love america but i think the biggest problem i have is that people are so ignorant, and it might be the fact that we are in a way geographically isolated but i think it just mainly has to do with the fact that people just don't care. and i say america bc this is where i grew up and live so i know it better than any other country. and it's not all people.

Its so upsetting how non accepting people can be. People want to believe what they want to believe. They don't bother with the truth or facts. Its just sad! Unfortunately, I don't think the problem is only in America. I think this has sort of become a growing fad.

It's because terrorism as a word is nowadays shown as a form of violence in order to attain goals religious or ideological in nature. For the most part at least. And Muslim people are known ( and by known I mean are being stereotyped --which is not true) as the most fanatic when it comes to religion. Labels upset me.

Woah I just saw this. The label of Jews, actually Hebrews in general, being cheap and cowards in battle is one of the most common since ancient times. I mean it's so ridiculous I laugh every time I hear it.

So let me share this, back in 1940s when Greece was occupied by Nazis my grandma lived in a city up north where there was a small jewish district. The nazis wanted to kill anyone they saw in public and they were about to kill a little girl. My grandma who was about 14 at this time and was probably the sweetest person I've met, run towards her even if the nazis were pointing guns at her and convinced them she was actually Greek, she was her little sister and told them she was deaf and couldn't also speak (in case they heard her speaking and could understand her by her accent that she could be Hebrew). She saved her life and after some years when my grandma got married she received a congratulation card and a present from her (she had moved back to Israel at that time if I'm not mistaken). She had bought her a freaking expensive house in my current city. A freaking house. I mean yeah sure Jewish people are cheap. Really cheap. Oh and they obviously only care about themselves :P

I think your answer is very accurate. The definition of the word terrorist has become a stereotype.

Its so ridiculous! The fact that someone actually let this idea into there head in 2012 is shocking to me!

Thanks you soooooooooooooooooooo much for sharing that story. Please thank your grandmother from the bottom of my heart. All of my grandparents are Holocaust survivors. They all came from huge families. Most of them did not survive and now my family is tiny. The fact that your grandmother did that is amazing! I love her, and I do not even know her. That is a wonderful story and I can't thank you enough for sharing it!

It truly is crazy that people believe in such a huge generalization. People are so different. How can you believe that every Jew is cheep? Its so crazy! The funniest part to me of what happened was that I had personally offered help on the board that this girl made the comment. I offered help to a few people who wrote they were going to do their projects on Jews. So how on Earth could this girl say that all Jews only care for themselves? I just proved her wrong! The whole thing was ridiculous!

Its so ridiculous! The fact that someone actually let this idea into there head in 2012 is shocking to me!

Thanks you soooooooooooooooooooo much for sharing that story. Please thank your grandmother from the bottom of my heart. All of my grandparents are Holocaust survivors. They all came from huge families. Most of them did not survive and now my family is tiny. The fact that your grandmother did that is amazing! I love her, and I do not even know her. That is a wonderful story and I can't thank you enough for sharing it!

It truly is crazy that people believe in such a huge generalization. People are so different. How can you believe that every Jew is cheep? Its so crazy! The funniest part to me of what happened was that I had personally offered help on the board that this girl made the comment. I offered help to a few people who wrote they were going to do their projects on Jews. So how on Earth could this girl say that all Jews only care for themselves? I just proved her wrong! The whole thing was ridiculous!

She's passed away for quite some years now, but I know it would put a smile on her face if she could hear you. I've always loved that story, because it showed me the good part of humanity, because I could never imagine how two complete strangers with so many differences could share a mutual love and understanding. Nowadays what people seem to enjoy more is causing pain and calling names based on, from what I've noticed, what religion or ethnicity you are. Because they know that insulting someone's religion or country with lies will hurt them the most. Pathetic. I'm so glad you didn't just let it go, but taught this person a lesson! :D

That question about the mother issue was very interesting! Almost everything I had read about in the past insisted that it doesn't matter what the father is, if the mother is Jew, the child is Jew too.

She's passed away for quite some years now, but I know it would put a smile on her face if she could hear you. I've always loved that story, because it showed me the good part of humanity, because I could never imagine how two complete strangers with so many differences could share a mutual love and understanding. Nowadays what people seem to enjoy more is causing pain and calling names based on, from what I've noticed, what religion or ethnicity you are. Because they know that insulting someone's religion or country with lies will hurt them the most. Pathetic. I'm so glad you didn't just let it go, but taught this person a lesson! :D

That question about the mother issue was very interesting! Almost everything I had read about in the past insisted that it doesn't matter what the father is, if the mother is Jew, the child is Jew too.

Im so sorry! But I know she is in a better place because she was such a wonderful person. I completely agree! You might enjoy reading some other Holocaust stories! There are a lot of people who hid Jewish children. Oh something else that will interest you. There is something called Righteous Gentiles. This is connected with the Holocaust Memorial Museum in Israel. It is called Yad Vashem. They have named specific non-Jews as righteous gentiles. These are people who helped the Jews during the Holocaust. Who hid children like your grandmother or who had them work in his factory like Oscar Shindler (Shindler's List). I am sure you can find stories on the Yad Vashem sight or by searching for Righteous Gentiles. This might interest you! So true, people really only seem to care about your "labels". I am an Art student so I am going to make a kind of weird analogy, but it works. In my art history class right we are talking a lot about the labels that are in art museums. How we cant just look at the label. Sometimes I feel like people look at me as if I am on display. They only care about what is on my label, and not what is inside. I dont want to be just my identification information. Thank hun, I am a very confrontational person lol.

I am glad you found in interesting! Well I am Orthodox so I believe that it goes by the mother only. The whole father idea to me is so foreign. Maybe it is outdated to only go by the mother, but that is my tradition! That is how most religions work. It just becomes messy by all of a sudden deciding to go by just the father as well. I don't know. I am rambling lo.