The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I'm going to look them up! Stories like these always brought tears in my eyes. I remember an episode I had seen on 7th Heaven when I was little about a survivor from the Holocaust that she felt embarrassed when someone saw the numbers tattoo on her wrist and then it showed her story. It was touching. I mean I couldn't understand much about it then but I still felt sad.

Yeah I totally understand what you mean. People are so keen on labeling everything in a bad manner. They don't care about what's on the inside, it seems to me that they sort of wait for you to do something wrong so they can go "All -insert religion/ethnicity/sexual orientation here- are like this.". Not all of them of course, thank God.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me know what you think or your favorite story!! I think it will restore some of your faith in humanity lol. I love these stories as well. They make me so happy. I think I remember that episode!! It sound familiar and I used to love that show! It really does pull at your heart. The tattoos are so hard for me to look at. That is so scary for me. The idea that my family had no identity, just a number. That is all they were to a big part of the world. So scary and sad!

I think a lot of it is human nature. We actually discussed this in my Human Diversity class. Part of human nature is this need to make everything organized and understandable. The world is so huge and there are so many people in it. We often try and group people so that it is not as huge and scary. Part of us wants to label people just because it is easier to understand. But, that is also such a bad thing to do. Generalizing is ridiculous because there are so many people! How can we generalize? People are so different! I just feel like so many people look at me and give me one word. I dislike it so much!

Are Orthodox jews and Hasidic jews the same thing or is one more religous than the other?

Well orthodox Judaism bigger then Hasidism. Meaning, beinging orthodox basically means you keep all the laws. A Hasidic Jew falls under that category. There are a bunch of different types of orthodoxy, for example I am modern orthodox. Hasidic Judaism is hard to explain. If I were to put it in simplest terms, I would say Hasidic Jews are extremely spritiual. They sing, dance, tell stories, all sorts of things. But that is the simplest explanation. There is a lot out there on the Internet if you want to know more!

• 3 months later...

So Arie... What are your opinions on Humanistic Judaism?

To tell you the truth I had never heard of that name until you posted it here. Then I read up and realized what it meant. I am a fully religious Jew so I obviously think its ridiculous. Judaism is a religion not just a history. The is history attached to the religion just like every religion. But, to through all the away? Not okay in my opinion. I mean they don't even really believe in G-D, to me that is not Judaism. I do not know what it is. The more I read, the angrier I get haha. Of course, if this is someones belief I would never judge them or tell them it was wrong. For me personally, this is not the right way. That is only for me personally, I can't say what is right or wrong for other people.

What do you think of it?

I'm glad you think that.

I was reading up on Judaism (for some reason) on wikipedia and saw a link to Humanistic Judaism and had a read up. As soon as I saw that it was a "non-theistic" religion I called BS on it all.

You cannot take such a massive and old religion and get rid of the biggest factor of it and still call it the same. It makes no sense and shouldn't even have the word Judaism in it because its not the same.

I do not rate it very highly

I'm glad you think that.

I was reading up on Judaism (for some reason) on wikipedia and saw a link to Humanistic Judaism and had a read up. As soon as I saw that it was a "non-theistic" religion I called BS on it all.

You cannot take such a massive and old religion and get rid of the biggest factor of it and still call it the same. It makes no sense and shouldn't even have the word Judaism in it because its not the same.

I do not rate it very highly

You are awesome, that's the only reply I have lol. I agree 100%

Hahaha, thanks. I look at it this way... Imagine if you done it to Christianity.

Last time I checked God is the biggest factor in Judaism which has been removed and Jesus is the biggest part of Christianity.

So if you remove Jesus from Christianity you cant call it Humanistic Christianity. Why? Because Christianity without Jesus is pretty much Judaism....

Oh that's a very interesting point! I agree.

But, beyond that it takes out all e religious aspects. None of the commandments, nothing. All of our laws are taken out. How is that even Judaism? I don't get it.

• 1 month later...

I think out of all the religions I like to learn about Judaism the most. I'm not even sure why. It's just the most interesting to me. It's a little confusing but once you learn about it, it's not so bad. Speaking from an outsiders perspective of course. lol Same friend ended up giving me more candy coins and some dreidels. XD I'm here like "it isn't even December yet!" This was round Thanksgiving. lol

Ok this is something I wanted to ask. I'm rusty since I haven't studied in like 4 years. Okay, so you guys have Passover right? When does that happen and what is the story behind it? I know I can just Google this stuff up but I like to get a real person answer. Call me old fashioned. lol And I know you guys have the menorah and the eight candles. Each night, you light a candle. Right? Man, now I wanna go read up on this. XD

Yeah, I should go look for him on the college website. Hopefully he's still teaching there. A lot of our professors ended up transferring to other universities. :(

Maybe because it is super interesting? It is kind of confusing because there is so much involved in being Jewish!! Well actually Hannukah is about to start. It doesn't have to do with December because Jewish holidays go by the Hebrew calender. The Hebrew calender is lunar so its completely different.

This is gonna be a very abridged version because there is SO much involved in Passover. Feel free to ask me more questions or read up and I can explain specific things. But, its hard to explain just everything in general. I will give it my best effort! Passover happens in the spring. I can't give you a specific date because of the whole Hebrew calender thing lol. It is usually in April or May. The story behind it is that we are commemorating when the Jewish slaves were freed from Egypt and able to go to Israel. We have this whole seder which is basically a meal. There is a whole system to it though. We retell the exodus story. We don't eat anything that is leavened during the entire week. Which is super hard. That is pretty much Passover in a nutshell. So feel free to ask me more questions so I can go into detail.

Yes, we have a menorah or Chanukiah that we light on Hannukah. The story is this. Basically in biblical times when we had our huge temple in Jerusalem there was a huge gold menorah that was lit everyday. When the Greeks destroyed the temple a group of Jews made there way back to it. They saw it was completely destroyed but found a tiny flask of oil. The oil should not have been able to light the Menorah for more than a day. But, the miracle was that it lasted for 8 days. So we commemorate and publicize this miracle by lighting the menorah and celebrating Hannukah. Thats the basic idea.

• 4 months later...

Tomorrow (today in some places already) is Holocost Rememberance Day. In case anyone reads this thread, I just wanted everyone to be aware. There are so many amazing stories that need to be shared. If you have a few moments, look something up. But, also just take a moment to cherish your life and family. Above all else, remember to love everyone around you. Hate is something that none of us should know.

It is a shame what happened, and as i heard in the News on Tv i my self gave a minute of silence, to remember.

But te news go an and say that many of the survivors are know old and lonely. Some Helpers founded an organization that know visits them and help them out of there lonlyness. I liked the idea, but why should only Holocaust survivors come in the pleasure of such an organisation? Other old People are lonely, too.

To the Hate, i totally disagree. Hate is the opposite of Love. If we can hate, we can´t love. You can´t say one no one should know, because you would forbid the other part to. There is no good without bad, i say.

Edited by Badab

That's very kind of you to have given a moment of silence.

There are actually many orginizations set-up to spend time with any older people. Do some research and I am sure you will find some in your area. There are many in mine that are not geared towards any specific "group". 

Maybe. But, I don't think that anyone should ever have to experience hate to that level.

That is true. But Mankind often did dark things, and it is if i may say so, hope i don´t offend you with it, a forth going dilemma. Europe so often fight with each other and did so cruel things that we are to good in it. Or was to good in it, because modern wars we loose, we can´t win but they can´t either but thats another story. And the Holocaust is a tragic sight of how "good" or better efficient planing can lead to something very bad and miserable.

If they had spend there time in doing other things, planing the war for example and place the Judaic people in the society they could had more success.

Not that i want Hitler to win, it is just, it would been a war with an bad thing less, you know.