The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Learning about new religions!

That sounds awesome. I just remembered that I have a friend now who is Jewish and I totally forgot. I was telling her how someone was teaching me things and she got offended. LOL She's Reform tho so I'm sure there is a difference? She's very laid back and so are her parents. So I dunno. The dinner sounds awesome. It just sounds like a nice time to get everyone together and be a family which I think in today's culture, we lack. I was gonna ask cause my friend ended up giving me coins. What is the significance of that? It's for Hanukkah right? She was just like "Here, have some candy". XD Isn't the first day like December 8th? o.O She's a weird person.. I should expect this from her.

I do the same when they bring up Paganism so I totally relate. ;) It was totally weird for me to have him be upset over it since everyone else I knew who was Jewish had no problem with it. Now I'm more aware of it so I always ask. :x

It is awesome! Thats pretty funny that you forgot that your friend is Jewish. There is a difference. She is not completely observant. I am, because I am orthodox. That is basically the difference. It is an awesome time and I look forward to Shabbat every week. Best part of my week! Yeah it is just a silly Hannukah tradition. I am sure there is some historical significance, I just don't know it. I believe so. I cant wait for Hanukah!

For sure. Its really hard listening to an "outsider" teach your religion. Yeah I have no idea why he was upset over it. You should ask him and say because you asked Jewish friends and they weren't offended. I would love to know his reason!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is awesome! Thats pretty funny that you forgot that your friend is Jewish. There is a difference. She is not completely observant. I am, because I am orthodox. That is basically the difference. It is an awesome time and I look forward to Shabbat every week. Best part of my week! Yeah it is just a silly Hannukah tradition. I am sure there is some historical significance, I just don't know it. I believe so. I cant wait for Hanukah!

For sure. Its really hard listening to an "outsider" teach your religion. Yeah I have no idea why he was upset over it. You should ask him and say because you asked Jewish friends and they weren't offended. I would love to know his reason!

Oh okay, I think I got that down now. The different branches anyway. I tend to forget people's religions or sexuality or whatever because to me people are just people. I need a reminder now and then.. lol. I wonder what they mean. I don't think she even knows. XD She just gave out candy to everyone in our group of friends. I think she'll be giving out more once Hanukkah starts. I like saying the word Hanukkah.. I don't even know why. Hebrew sounds fun.. XD!!

It is. What's odd is that my theology professor back in college was an atheist...o.O So that was kinda like "okay.." XD But she was cool. She didn't bash anything and was very open. I wish I knew my professor still. I have no idea what happened after I left that class. I didn't really see him around campus and I didn't take another class with him afterwards. I haven't been in school in ages. I feel so old.

Oh okay, I think I got that down now. The different branches anyway. I tend to forget people's religions or sexuality or whatever because to me people are just people. I need a reminder now and then.. lol. I wonder what they mean. I don't think she even knows. XD She just gave out candy to everyone in our group of friends. I think she'll be giving out more once Hanukkah starts. I like saying the word Hanukkah.. I don't even know why. Hebrew sounds fun.. XD!!

It is. What's odd is that my theology professor back in college was an atheist...o.O So that was kinda like "okay.." XD But she was cool. She didn't bash anything and was very open. I wish I knew my professor still. I have no idea what happened after I left that class. I didn't really see him around campus and I didn't take another class with him afterwards. I haven't been in school in ages. I feel so old.

No worries, its pretty confusing when you first learn about it. So I have been told lol. I grew up knowing this stuff so I don't actually know how confusing it is. I totally understand what you mean. I forget all the time that the Jewish stuff I do is not the norm. All of a sudden I will start talking to a non-Jewish friend about something and they are so confused. I forget because its all the norm to me haha. They don't really mean anything. It has to do with the story of Hanukkah but its really just a silly tradition. A lot of things in Judaism do have very specific significance. But, that's not one of those things lol. Hebrew is a beautiful language. It actually isnt really even called Hanukkah. Its Chanukah but not like a regular ch sound. I cant explain the sound. But, literally only jews can make that sound. Which is why everyone else calls it Hanukkah. Its kind of a throaty coughy sound haha.

Wow thats pretty cool that an atheist taught theology. Very interesting! Probably put an interesting perspective to it. You should e-mail him! Most professors love it when old students get back in touch with them. I e-mail some of my professors pretty frequently.

No worries, its pretty confusing when you first learn about it. So I have been told lol. I grew up knowing this stuff so I don't actually know how confusing it is. I totally understand what you mean. I forget all the time that the Jewish stuff I do is not the norm. All of a sudden I will start talking to a non-Jewish friend about something and they are so confused. I forget because its all the norm to me haha. They don't really mean anything. It has to do with the story of Hanukkah but its really just a silly tradition. A lot of things in Judaism do have very specific significance. But, that's not one of those things lol. Hebrew is a beautiful language. It actually isnt really even called Hanukkah. Its Chanukah but not like a regular ch sound. I cant explain the sound. But, literally only jews can make that sound. Which is why everyone else calls it Hanukkah. Its kind of a throaty coughy sound haha.

Wow thats pretty cool that an atheist taught theology. Very interesting! Probably put an interesting perspective to it. You should e-mail him! Most professors love it when old students get back in touch with them. I e-mail some of my professors pretty frequently.

I think out of all the religions I like to learn about Judaism the most. I'm not even sure why. It's just the most interesting to me. It's a little confusing but once you learn about it, it's not so bad. Speaking from an outsiders perspective of course. lol Same friend ended up giving me more candy coins and some dreidels. XD I'm here like "it isn't even December yet!" This was round Thanksgiving. lol

Ok this is something I wanted to ask. I'm rusty since I haven't studied in like 4 years. Okay, so you guys have Passover right? When does that happen and what is the story behind it? I know I can just Google this stuff up but I like to get a real person answer. Call me old fashioned. lol And I know you guys have the menorah and the eight candles. Each night, you light a candle. Right? Man, now I wanna go read up on this. XD

Yeah, I should go look for him on the college website. Hopefully he's still teaching there. A lot of our professors ended up transferring to other universities. :(

I think out of all the religions I like to learn about Judaism the most. I'm not even sure why. It's just the most interesting to me. It's a little confusing but once you learn about it, it's not so bad. Speaking from an outsiders perspective of course. lol Same friend ended up giving me more candy coins and some dreidels. XD I'm here like "it isn't even December yet!" This was round Thanksgiving. lol

Ok this is something I wanted to ask. I'm rusty since I haven't studied in like 4 years. Okay, so you guys have Passover right? When does that happen and what is the story behind it? I know I can just Google this stuff up but I like to get a real person answer. Call me old fashioned. lol And I know you guys have the menorah and the eight candles. Each night, you light a candle. Right? Man, now I wanna go read up on this. XD

Yeah, I should go look for him on the college website. Hopefully he's still teaching there. A lot of our professors ended up transferring to other universities. :(

I am going to answer this in my Judaism thread since we are kind of taking over here and it really should be discussed in there :D