The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Learning about new religions!

I can give you some tips on blessing your apartment if you would like. Smudging is for sure one of the strongest ways to bless but there's other ways too. In the pagan belief, we hold that salt neutralizes negative energy. We are all about worshiping nature and salt is one of the purest things we see. Purity is always the way to go. There is also a lot of Christian things you can do to bless your home and protect it from, well, negative energy. Holy water works wonders when used to bless all the doors and windows (this includes doors to rooms). Having a cross over your door way works wonders. I have a friend who is Catholic and she uses holy water and crosses mostly on her home. She also lights up incense to clean the home. She says a prayer over everything.

Blessing once usually doesn't do it permanently. It will help for about 3 months after that, it's time to re-do it. I don't know why it's 3 months but this is what I've noticed. Just some tips to keep in mind or what have you. Faith is really all you need to rid yourself of the negative. Blessing yourself and having something on you that's blessed helps when you aren't in the house. I carry around a Talisman.

The way I see it, religion or faith is just one huge tree. Each of us belong to a different branch but when it boils down to it, it's all about faith. It's all about that. I like to think that in the end we are all worshiping the same God, God just shows Himself or Herself differently. Another funky thought is if all religions have different Gods and they all come together. I don't know. I'm a bit of a hippie. XD

A lot of what we wear is similar to that of what a priest would wear or what a nun would wear. It's all traditional garb. A lot of Wiccan priests and priestesses wear flowing cloaks. Cloaks are used in conjunction to ritual robes. We wear the most comfortable clothing and the most open clothing we can so we can allow the Divine into ourselves. It's important to have an open connection to the Divine at all times when performing a ritual.

http://www.wicca-spirituality.com/wicca-symbol.html#wicca_symbols_index

That's a pretty good place to get some general knowledge on symbols. I don't know how familiar you are with our symbols and our customs.

I personally haven't met anyone who has been. My priestess says that she used to have someone in her coven who was doing it for the wrong reasons. He wanted to screw someone over with magic and that is not how we play. Especially not in my coven. We worship the Divine and nothing else. We live to serve her. Needless to say, she kicked him out pretty quick.

I've met my fair share of people who are into religion for the wrong reasons though and I know that one day, I'll meet that one person who is in it for those wrong reasons. I'm prepared for it.

Edited by Midnight Toker
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is also a lot of Christian things you can do to bless your home and protect it from, well, negative energy. Holy water works wonders when used to bless all the doors and windows (this includes doors to rooms). Having a cross over your door way works wonders. I have a friend who is Catholic and she uses holy water and crosses mostly on her home. She also lights up incense to clean the home. She says a prayer over everything.

Yup, I've seen this a lot and I've heard it, too. My anthro. prof says her boyfriend's mom is SUPER catholic and there are crosses over every doorway, she prays about everything, etc. At my house, I have a crucifix in my room that's been there forever and I can't bear to take it down, but maybe someday I'll hang a cross that's more my style in there :P

The way I see it, religion or faith is just one huge tree. Each of us belong to a different branch but when it boils down to it, it's all about faith. It's all about that. I like to think that in the end we are all worshiping the same God, God just shows Himself or Herself differently. Another funky thought is if all religions have different Gods and they all come together. I don't know. I'm a bit of a hippie. XD

I think the same thing; it's nice to know that there are other people besides my boyfriend who think the same! I think there is One God but He is comprised of many different beings and he brought all religions/faiths to the earth in the forms of prophets, world changers, etc, so that we can be better people. I also think He gave us nature for a reason, not so that it could be destroyed.

I was thinking a few weeks ago about Native American religion(s) and how, if Christian colonialism/manifest destiny hadn't taken over and people hadn't essentially eradicated most native peoples, the world would probably be less polluted, more connected to nature, and so on. There is something within pagan religions that abrahamic religions lack: the connection to the earth and to nature. Christianity doesn't emphasize it, and I've never seen it in any other abrahamic religion. Not to say it doesn't exist, but it isn't common. The concept of having a spirit within plants, places, and the earth is something that doesn't appear often, but I think it should.

A lot of what we wear is similar to that of what a priest would wear or what a nun would wear. It's all traditional garb. A lot of Wiccan priests and priestesses wear flowing cloaks. Cloaks are used in conjunction to ritual robes. We wear the most comfortable clothing and the most open clothing we can so we can allow the Divine into ourselves. It's important to have an open connection to the Divine at all times when performing a ritual.

I had a chat with my friend who's wiccan yesterday, and she told me about the cloacks and she said that's the one stereotype, so to speak, that she's okay with, just because the cloaks, especially black cloaks, can cleanse the aura. Did I get it right? Hahaha :P She's awesome though, and she's been a really good resource for me.

I personally haven't met anyone who has been. My priestess says that she used to have someone in her coven who was doing it for the wrong reasons. He wanted to screw someone over with magic and that is not how we play. Especially not in my coven. We worship the Divine and nothing else. We live to serve her. Needless to say, she kicked him out pretty quick.

I've met my fair share of people who are into religion for the wrong reasons though and I know that one day, I'll meet that one person who is in it for those wrong reasons. I'm prepared for it.

I think people misunderstand wicca and paganism in general because of the terminology sometimes, like using the word "spell" - my friend described it to me as a prayer or a blessing. It's pretty much the same thing, it's like an intention for someone or something. She also said the coolest thing about Wicca was that it helped her look into herself and confront painful things and accept them and love herself for it. Not many people can or will do that. I do that on my own time; I'm a big fan of introspection :P

Earlier this year, at a Christian Fellowship meeting that I stopped going to because of many reasons, the guy who was co-leading the meeting was like, "Before christian fellowship there were several "cults" on campus, blah blah blah...". I told my friend about it and she said there was a wiccan group on campus about five or so years ago that was made up of good people but there were a couple people that went for the wrong reasons and so it gave them a bad name. Eventually, the club had to be disbanded, which I think is a shame. So yeah, I agree with you that there are people that do it for the wrong reasons, and there are people who don't understand who give wicca a bad name.

I'm thinking of starting an interfaith group on campus for next semester, and I want it to not only be a place for open dialogue, but I also want to go to different ceremonies, religious events, and do service as a group. I really want it to be all inclusive and just a place for people to express their religion and feel safe. I think there are more people on campus than I think that would be into that!!

Yup, I've seen this a lot and I've heard it, too. My anthro. prof says her boyfriend's mom is SUPER catholic and there are crosses over every doorway, she prays about everything, etc. At my house, I have a crucifix in my room that's been there forever and I can't bear to take it down, but maybe someday I'll hang a cross that's more my style in there :P

Yep! Tall tell sign. lol My grandmother is a Born-Again but she's not.. I dunno, I can't think of a good word. She's not snobby about it. Anyway, she's the one who actually taught me all about house cleansing. She taught me the Christian way and then my mom taught me the Wiccan way. We work really well together when we get together to pray. It's interesting how two different things have so much in common. People over look it.

lol! Get a cool cross. XD I actually have a cross that I can't get rid of. It belonged to my great-grandfather. I never knew him but my grandmother gave it to me. I have it hanging in my room. :)

I think the same thing; it's nice to know that there are other people besides my boyfriend who think the same! I think there is One God but He is comprised of many different beings and he brought all religions/faiths to the earth in the forms of prophets, world changers, etc, so that we can be better people. I also think He gave us nature for a reason, not so that it could be destroyed.

Yes! Exactly! That's how I see it. It would be so boring if we only had one religion, one skin colour, one nationality, one sexual orientation, one identity.. The way I see it, God built everything. So He built biology. Biology favors variety. However, it's a shame that society didn't evolve in the same matter. :( I think there's a reason for everything though. So, there has got to be a reason for the hate in the world. I'm guessing it's there to remind us how important love and tolerance truly are.

I was thinking a few weeks ago about Native American religion(s) and how, if Christian colonialism/manifest destiny hadn't taken over and people hadn't essentially eradicated most native peoples, the world would probably be less polluted, more connected to nature, and so on. There is something within pagan religions that abrahamic religions lack: the connection to the earth and to nature. Christianity doesn't emphasize it, and I've never seen it in any other abrahamic religion. Not to say it doesn't exist, but it isn't common. The concept of having a spirit within plants, places, and the earth is something that doesn't appear often, but I think it should.

I think so too. It's one of the main reasons why Wicca intrigued me. Before I was Wiccan, I was Christian and the lack of nature in the religion was weird to me. I had a stint where I was agnostic and then atheist. -_- That was my fault for listening to my ex-fiance and having her control my life. I'm glad I'm back to where I was. I was lost without my faith. :\

I had a chat with my friend who's wiccan yesterday, and she told me about the cloacks and she said that's the one stereotype, so to speak, that she's okay with, just because the cloaks, especially black cloaks, can cleanse the aura. Did I get it right? Hahaha :P She's awesome though, and she's been a really good resource for me.

This is what is so awesome about Wicca. XD We each have different interpretations of things. The older wiccans I know are more into the symbolism and what the clothing does. Younger wiccans tend not to like that sort of thing cause it feels stereotypical. XD Black is the colour of cleansing for us. It takes away the negative energy. Red is the colour of passion and lust. Pink is romance and it up lifts moods. And so forth. :) So the colour is what the cloak does but the cloak itself is used because it's light and airy (like the Air element) which allows the Divine into us. The Divine, for me, is the God and Goddess plus mother Gaia and so forth.

I think people misunderstand wicca and paganism in general because of the terminology sometimes, like using the word "spell" - my friend described it to me as a prayer or a blessing. It's pretty much the same thing, it's like an intention for someone or something. She also said the coolest thing about Wicca was that it helped her look into herself and confront painful things and accept them and love herself for it. Not many people can or will do that. I do that on my own time; I'm a big fan of introspection :P

Yes. Or the way we conduct our business. Outsiders view it as something evil because they aren't educated about it. It's that whole fear of the unknown thing.Let me tell you, it's not just Christians who don't get it, it's everyone. I even had an atheist size me up and tell me what I was doing was wrong. o.O I was like "You don't believe that this has power so how can it be wrong?" -_- He couldn't answer me. lol

Earlier this year, at a Christian Fellowship meeting that I stopped going to because of many reasons, the guy who was co-leading the meeting was like, "Before christian fellowship there were several "cults" on campus, blah blah blah...". I told my friend about it and she said there was a wiccan group on campus about five or so years ago that was made up of good people but there were a couple people that went for the wrong reasons and so it gave them a bad name. Eventually, the club had to be disbanded, which I think is a shame. So yeah, I agree with you that there are people that do it for the wrong reasons, and there are people who don't understand who give wicca a bad name.

Oh come on! LOL Why do people think Wicca is a "cure all" or a "we place hexes on people". I blame Hollywood. I mean, I love Harry Potter but someone asked me if I believed I could do what Harry does. I was like :blink:. We don't place hexes on people. It's against our religion to do so. If someone is using magic to do that, then they aren't Wiccan. :\ Oi, people annoy me. XD!

I'm thinking of starting an interfaith group on campus for next semester, and I want it to not only be a place for open dialogue, but I also want to go to different ceremonies, religious events, and do service as a group. I really want it to be all inclusive and just a place for people to express their religion and feel safe. I think there are more people on campus than I think that would be into that!!

That would be awesome! I think more people need to think like you do. I wish I knew more people like you. I only have a few people I can count on one hand who are this awesome. LOL

I would so go to something like that. I wish we had something like that here in Miami!

I'd describe myself as an atheist. I don't believe in any god, but I'm not one of those atheists who criticise you for believing in a god. It's none of my business what you believe in, and to be honest as long as you're happy then I'm happy. I don't really see religion as a barrier between who I like and who I don't like, on the same level as race or sexuality. I'd be friends with a gay black buddhist and it wouldn't bother me. We're all humans. I dislike people that are douchebags, not people that believe in a god. :P

On the subject of sexuality, how do all you religious people feel about homosexuality? I'm curious to know where the different religions stand on it.

Edited by Fiorenzo

I'd describe myself as an atheist. I don't believe in any god, but I'm not one of those atheists who criticise you for believing in a god. It's none of my business what you believe in, and to be honest as long as you're happy then I'm happy. I don't really see religion as a barrier between who I like and who I don't like, on the same level as race or sexuality. I'd be friends with a gay black buddhist and it wouldn't bother me. We're all humans. I dislike people that are douchebags, not people that believe in a god. :P

I agree with you there. Glad to see that you are so open-minded. I wish more people were like you as well. We need love in this world, not bias or hate.

On the subject of sexuality, how do all you religious people feel about homosexuality? I'm curious to know where the different religions stand on it.

Oh dear, that's a can of worms right there. I know we had a thread about this in this very section of the board and it kinda turned into a flame war in some areas and a heated debate in other areas.

Some people on here think that it's a sin while others accept it wholeheartedly. It makes me sad when people still think of homosexuality as a sin. I really think that it was placed in the Bible that way because while it is the word of God, a lot of it was written by men who were afraid of the unknown.

People pick and choose what they want out of the Bible and that's fine. It's a great book that lends strength and faith however I find it a bit overwhelming when people use it to exclude others. I don't think the Bible is something to be taken literally, it's mostly figurative. This goes for the Quran and other holy texts as well.

It's also quite confusing. In one section, man should not lay with man but in another section, Paul states that homosexuality is not a sin but it is unclean. It's also confusing because Jesus was for all intinsive purposes a hippie. He didn't care who you were, he loved you. I don't know. When I was following Christianity, I followed Christ's word. Love, understanding and tolerance.

Edited by Midnight Toker

I can't edit my post. If a mod sees this, could you please do me the favor of adding this to my preious post? Thanks!

I posted this in the said thread and I wanted to share it here:

That, in fact, was the case among the Sodomites (Genesis 19), whose experience is frequently cited by modern anti-gay critics. The Sodomites wanted to rape the visitors whom Lot, the one just man in the city, welcomed in hospitality for the night.

The Bible itself is lucid on the sin of Sodom: pride, lack of concern for the poor and needy (Ezekiel 16:48-49); hatred of strangers and cruelty to guests (Wisdom 19:13); arrogance (Sirach/Ecclesiaticus 16:8); evildoing, injustice, oppression of the widow and orphan (Isaiah 1:17); adultery (in those days, the use of another man’s property), and lying (Jeremiah 23:12).

But nowhere are same-sex acts named as the sin of Sodom. That intended gang rape only expressed the greater sin, condemned in the Bible from cover to cover: hatred, injustice, cruelty, lack of concern for others. Hence, Jesus says “Love your neighbor as yourself†(Matthew 19:19; Mark 12:31); and “By this will they know you are my disciples†(John 13:35).

How inverted these values have become! In the name of Jesus, evangelicals and Catholic bishops make sex the Christian litmus test and are willing to sacrifice the social safety net in return.

I agree with this Priest. I wish more people would.

Also:

The longest biblical passage on male-male sex is Romans 1:26-27: "Their women exchanged natural intercourse for unnatural, and in the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another."

The Greek term para physin has been translated unnatural; it should read atypical or unusual. In the technical sense, yes, the Stoic philosophers did use para physin to mean unnatural, but this term also had a widespread popular meaning. It is this latter meaning that informs Paul's writing. It carries no ethical condemnation.

Compare the passage on male-male sex to Romans 11:24. There, Paul applies the term para physin to God. God grafted the Gentiles into the Jewish people, a wild branch into a cultivated vine. Not your standard practice! An unusual thing to do — atypical, nothing more. The anti-gay "unnatural" hullabaloo rests on a mistranslation.

Besides, Paul used two other words to describe male-male sex: dishonorable (1:24, 26) and unseemly (1:27). But for Paul, neither carried ethical weight. In 2 Corinthians 6:8 and 11:21, Paul says that even he was held in dishonor — for preaching Christ. Clearly, these words merely indicate social disrepute, not truly unethical behavior.

-Source: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/15/my-take-what-the-bible-really-says-about-homosexuality/

Edited by Midnight Toker

My religion, Judaism, is not very supportive of homosexuality. I personally have no problem with it. I am a big supporter. I am very pro-gay marriage. I have a lot of friends who are gay. My feeling is that it is not my job to judge whether or not someone is doing the "right" thing. I don't judge anyone. I support my friends for their choices as best I can. It has never really effected my religious beliefs. I have been able to fit the two together fine. I remain a devoted, religious Jew.

My religion, Judaism, is not very supportive of homosexuality. I personally have no problem with it. I am a big supporter. I am very pro-gay marriage. I have a lot of friends who are gay. My feeling is that it is not my job to judge whether or not someone is doing the "right" thing. I don't judge anyone. I support my friends for their choices as best I can. It has never really effected my religious beliefs. I have been able to fit the two together fine. I remain a devoted, religious Jew.

I think that's pretty common with young followers of religions now! I think that more young people are realizing they can be devoted to their religion but also change with society. It's very important to be adaptable!

I thought that the Jewish faith was more open to it. Back in High School I had a friend who was Jewish and her family was really open and cool about everything. We had a gay guy in our group of friends and her mom was always super open and nice to him. Does it depend on the branch of Judaism?

I thought that the Jewish faith was more open to it. Back in High School I had a friend who was Jewish and her family was really open and cool about everything. We had a gay guy in our group of friends and her mom was always super open and nice to him. Does it depend on the branch of Judaism?

Judaism itself... not really. It does sort of depend on the sect of Judaism. Meaning, I am orthodox so I follow the old testament very closely keep all of the laws. I believe that those laws are binding. Conservative and reform Judaism don't follow everything as closely. They view the old testament as more of a guide then actual law. This is very fast explanation. There are also more sects. As I am sure you are aware, the old testament is not exactly pro-gay. Thus, most orthodox (or more religious) Jews are not always so excepting. I am. Most people I know are because we are Modern Orthodox. Which means we accept the modern world and adapt to it. I hope that makes sense. So the friend you had was probably not so observant. Which is why he was more open to it. I think it also depends on the generation. My father, for example, is pretty homophobic and he has said some not great things about homosexuals. I am more open and accepting to it. I don't judge my father the same way I don't judge anyone who is gay. My point being is that there are many different factors that can go into this belief. It is hard to generalize in Judaism since it such a personal belief. But, when you break it down to our laws... its complicated. I think, I may be rusty on this, the bottom line belief in Judaism is that G-D accepts those who are gay. It is okay to be gay, he created those who are gay. But, it is not okay to act upon it. I am not going to go farther into detail about that. I don't want to start a big debate about this subject. I don't feel that I know enough on it to be able to explain it. But, I think that is the simplest way to explain the idea. I hope that all makes sense!

I posted my thoughts on this on my tumblr a while back

http://xchristcorex.tumblr.com/post/30926248604/why-i-dont-care-about-gay-marriage-in-the-slightest

I'm sure someone will disagree with me on the matter... I'm not worried though

Judaism itself... not really. It does sort of depend on the sect of Judaism. Meaning, I am orthodox so I follow the old testament very closely keep all of the laws. I believe that those laws are binding. Conservative and reform Judaism don't follow everything as closely. They view the old testament as more of a guide then actual law. This is very fast explanation. There are also more sects. As I am sure you are aware, the old testament is not exactly pro-gay. Thus, most orthodox (or more religious) Jews are not always so excepting. I am. Most people I know are because we are Modern Orthodox. Which means we accept the modern world and adapt to it. I hope that makes sense. So the friend you had was probably not so observant. Which is why he was more open to it. I think it also depends on the generation. My father, for example, is pretty homophobic and he has said some not great things about homosexuals. I am more open and accepting to it. I don't judge my father the same way I don't judge anyone who is gay. My point being is that there are many different factors that can go into this belief. It is hard to generalize in Judaism since it such a personal belief. But, when you break it down to our laws... its complicated. I think, I may be rusty on this, the bottom line belief in Judaism is that G-D accepts those who are gay. It is okay to be gay, he created those who are gay. But, it is not okay to act upon it. I am not going to go farther into detail about that. I don't want to start a big debate about this subject. I don't feel that I know enough on it to be able to explain it. But, I think that is the simplest way to explain the idea. I hope that all makes sense!

She was a conservative. I live in a Jewish neighborhood where I think my house is the only non-Jewish house hold. We have a synagogue on my block. I'm guessing it's a conservative place since my friend Sarah went there for years before she moved. She's the one who taught me as much as she could about her religion. She was very into it. It was who she was. Her parents were very devoted as well. Every Saturday she would come to my house after her service was over. Her family never missed a service.

I don't understand how God can make homosexuals and then tell them not to act upon it. I question everything. It's in my nature so I hope I do not offend you in any shape or form. This is just me questioning it. I don't believe that God would be so cruel and petty as to create a life and then tell them not to act on their natural desires. If you think about it logically, it's very cruel. I don't think God is as cruel as the Old Testament made Him out to be and I believe a lot was lost in translation. However, I do think that the Torah is more accurate than the Bible. Just my opinion again based on years of theological study. I still need to study Judaism more because it is an interesting religion. I've noticed that education is taken more seriously among Jewish people.

I'm glad that you are accepting. I don't think God wants his children to be against one another. At least not my vision of God. I see Him as a holy divine accepting light. He loves all of us.

I posted my thoughts on this on my tumblr a while back

http://xchristcorex.tumblr.com/post/30926248604/why-i-dont-care-about-gay-marriage-in-the-slightest

I'm sure someone will disagree with me on the matter... I'm not worried though

I get what you're saying but I'm a little confused on some parts because you lost me a bit. In the terms of gay marriage, or as I call it marriage, you don't mind if gays do it because to you it will always just be marriage? Is that the gist of it?

Sorry, just want to make sure I understand because if that's the case you are one of the few I know who doesn't care either way. I believe marriage should not be made legal by any religion. If you want to have a ceremony at a church, synagogue, or whatever that's fine but you should have to see a judge to get legally married. That's just how I feel about it. I think it's best to separate religion from the state. It makes things less messy.

I think if Jesus were alive today, he would be for marriage. Love is love.

Edited by Midnight Toker

She was a conservative. I live in a Jewish neighborhood where I think my house is the only non-Jewish house hold. We have a synagogue on my block. I'm guessing it's a conservative place since my friend Sarah went there for years before she moved. She's the one who taught me as much as she could about her religion. She was very into it. It was who she was. Her parents were very devoted as well. Every Saturday she would come to my house after her service was over. Her family never missed a service.

I don't understand how God can make homosexuals and then tell them not to act upon it. I question everything. It's in my nature so I hope I do not offend you in any shape or form. This is just me questioning it. I don't believe that God would be so cruel and petty as to create a life and then tell them not to act on their natural desires. If you think about it logically, it's very cruel. I don't think God is as cruel as the Old Testament made Him out to be and I believe a lot was lost in translation. However, I do think that the Torah is more accurate than the Bible. Just my opinion again based on years of theological study. I still need to study Judaism more because it is an interesting religion. I've noticed that education is taken more seriously among Jewish people.

I'm glad that you are accepting. I don't think God wants his children to be against one another. At least not my vision of God. I see Him as a holy divine accepting light. He loves all of us.

Very cool about your friend. Yes, conservative Jews tend to be very devoted. There is still another step though till you get to Orthodoxy, which I am. Nice that you live in a Jewish area. That's pretty cool!! I never miss a service either. Among the many other things I do.

Its complicated and again I do not pretend to know enough to give you a good enough answer. That is why I wrote I don't want to get into detail. Not because I am being defensive. I honestly do not believe I know enough to give you a proper answer. I do not want to tell you the wrong thing. It is complicated. I think that our old testament or at least the way we view it doesn't paint a bad picture of G-D at all. I think Christianity and Judaism differ so much in their understandings of the text. So many of my christian friends strong dislike the old testament. I think it is beautiful and amazing. I think our understanding are so different, which is a beautiful thing in its own way.

Well and questions you have on Judaism I can try to answer or point you in the right direction! I have a Judaism thread started here if you ever have a question!

Education is huge for us. I have studied the bible many many times with tons of commentaries. I have also learned a ton of oral law. Not to mention all the other books we have out there. There so much. We are encouraged from age 1 to question and speculate. That is my favorite part of Judaism. We are never told to just believe or accept. We are told to understand.

I completely agree about what you wrote about G-D. Ultimately he is the judge. I often feel, who am I to judge? I am not G-D. I say that to people who do judge all the time. Which is why I am able to be more accepting. Because I do not truly know what G-D holds as right or wrong. Nothing is white or black either.

Very cool about your friend. Yes, conservative Jews tend to be very devoted. There is still another step though till you get to Orthodoxy, which I am. Nice that you live in a Jewish area. That's pretty cool!! I never miss a service either. Among the many other things I do.

Its complicated and again I do not pretend to know enough to give you a good enough answer. That is why I wrote I don't want to get into detail. Not because I am being defensive. I honestly do not believe I know enough to give you a proper answer. I do not want to tell you the wrong thing. It is complicated. I think that our old testament or at least the way we view it doesn't paint a bad picture of G-D at all. I think Christianity and Judaism differ so much in their understandings of the text. So many of my christian friends strong dislike the old testament. I think it is beautiful and amazing. I think our understanding are so different, which is a beautiful thing in its own way.

Well and questions you have on Judaism I can try to answer or point you in the right direction! I have a Judaism thread started here if you ever have a question!

Education is huge for us. I have studied the bible many many times with tons of commentaries. I have also learned a ton of oral law. Not to mention all the other books we have out there. There so much. We are encouraged from age 1 to question and speculate. That is my favorite part of Judaism. We are never told to just believe or accept. We are told to understand.

I completely agree about what you wrote about G-D. Ultimately he is the judge. I often feel, who am I to judge? I am not G-D. I say that to people who do judge all the time. Which is why I am able to be more accepting. Because I do not truly know what G-D holds as right or wrong. Nothing is white or black either.

That's cool that you never miss a service. She always told me it was a great experience. I was supposed to go with her one of the times but I never got the chance. I'm just utterly curious as to what a Jewish service is like. XD I've been to Voodoo services, Buddhist, Wiccan, Christian and Catholic services too but I have never been to a Jewish one. One day I would want to go.

I don't think either of us is going to have an answer. The universe is filled with wonder and mystery. It's kinda nice not knowing that answer but being able to ask the question. I don't know if that makes any sense to you of if I'm talking crazy talk. lol I've read the Bible cover to cover but I've never read the Torah. I know there is a difference between the Jewish Old Testament and the Christian one. I would love to read one but they are in Hebrew right? I dunno, I feel silly asking these questions. It's just the one religion I haven't really dived into. Well, this and Hindu.

That's what I respect from the Judaism. That's something my friend Sarah told me about. That nothing is really black or white or wrong or right with God. It's good to see a relation up hold education. Us Pagans are a bit laid back but we also try to encourage education. Especially when it has to do with your surroundings.

That's cool that you never miss a service. She always told me it was a great experience. I was supposed to go with her one of the times but I never got the chance. I'm just utterly curious as to what a Jewish service is like. XD I've been to Voodoo services, Buddhist, Wiccan, Christian and Catholic services too but I have never been to a Jewish one. One day I would want to go.

I don't think either of us is going to have an answer. The universe is filled with wonder and mystery. It's kinda nice not knowing that answer but being able to ask the question. I don't know if that makes any sense to you of if I'm talking crazy talk. lol I've read the Bible cover to cover but I've never read the Torah. I know there is a difference between the Jewish Old Testament and the Christian one. I would love to read one but they are in Hebrew right? I dunno, I feel silly asking these questions. It's just the one religion I haven't really dived into. Well, this and Hindu.

That's what I respect from the Judaism. That's something my friend Sarah told me about. That nothing is really black or white or wrong or right with God. It's good to see a relation up hold education. Us Pagans are a bit laid back but we also try to encourage education. Especially when it has to do with your surroundings.

thanks! It is. It is cool also because every temple's services are very different. I mean the words are the same but every place works a little different. Its cool to see that. Also depends on the sect of course. You should go! I recommend starting out with a reform service were many things will be in English. Stuff will be explained more. It's cool that you are experiencing all types of different services.

It does make sense to me and I agree. They are in Hebrew and you can get translations. Honestly, the translations suck. There is nothing that can compare to the original Hebrew. If you are interested though you can go to http://www.mechon-mamre.org they actually have the entire Torah on there. The translation is not great. But, its free. You can just read a little. I figured you might enjoy seeing it. Never feel silly about asking questions like these. Ever. Why would I expect you to know any of this? It is not your religion. There is tons I do not know about others. I had no idea that many Christians have such a hard time with the OT till I read about that on here. I always assumed they felt as we did about it. There is so much we all have left to learn. I also love these questions because they challenge me. I need to be able to answer all sort of questions about my religion. When I am stumped, that means there is more I personally need to learn.

Me too. Its something I truly love about being Jewish. I know that G-D wants me to question. Thats what we believe. You must speculate. Education is key. If you aren't educated about your religion then what are you doing? What do you really believe in? How can you really believe?

I get what you're saying but I'm a little confused on some parts because you lost me a bit. In the terms of gay marriage, or as I call it marriage, you don't mind if gays do it because to you it will always just be marriage? Is that the gist of it?

Sorry, just want to make sure I understand because if that's the case you are one of the few I know who doesn't care either way. I believe marriage should not be made legal by any religion. If you want to have a ceremony at a church, synagogue, or whatever that's fine but you should have to see a judge to get legally married. That's just how I feel about it. I think it's best to separate religion from the state. It makes things less messy.

I think if Jesus were alive today, he would be for marriage. Love is love.

Yeah I re-read it and I do sorta jump all over the place with my thoughts....

Basically my thoughts on gay marriage is that I don't care if they want to be gay because it does not directly impact my life in any way. And I have no right to tell people how they should lead their lives and I don't want to discriminate against anyone for any reason.

What I mean about marriage is that I think God made marriage as between a man and a woman and that is it. Humans will change it to what they want it to be like they do most things.

So in the eyes of humans marriage could be a man and a man or woman and woman but in the eyes of God marriage is a man and a woman. If not that then its not an "Official Godly marriage" I suppose you could say... Not that that makes them any less married but I don't think it is proper marriage I guess.

But yeah, at the end of the day its their choice. I don't agree with gay marriage but I don't oppose it. Its unfair to look down on someone for being gay so I don't. I treat everyone from every race and lifestyle as I would like to be treated, with respect.

I would congratulate someone for marrying someone of the same sex, I'd attend a same sex wedding. But I'm not about to go out and shag a male or protest a gay pride festival.

Christianity is not a religion its a personal relationship with Christ. We are all accountable for our actions and at the end of the day only God really knows the answers. I just try to live my life as pure, fair and Godly as possible. I try to live like Christ would, hanging out with the sinners, gentiles, lepers and prostitutes. No good has ever come from sitting inside the walls of a church bible bashing the world, I try to be a role model and a good person and people know that I follow God and it leaves a positive impact on people. I can only tell people what I think and give advice, after that it is up to them and God what they do. The choice is theirs and God doesn't lie, He will always give the the right answer.

That's a bit off topic but I think it kinda explains why I think what I do about gay marriage, probably not....

And yes, I agree. I think Jesus would much rather see everyone getting on than the world bickering over something so dumb. He'd much rather see gays and straights working together to better the world and bring people to Him than squabble.

Its not really as big of an issue as everyone makes it out to be.... Just chill I reckon.

Edited by Monkey Cartwheels

thanks! It is. It is cool also because every temple's services are very different. I mean the words are the same but every place works a little different. Its cool to see that. Also depends on the sect of course. You should go! I recommend starting out with a reform service were many things will be in English. Stuff will be explained more. It's cool that you are experiencing all types of different services.

It does make sense to me and I agree. They are in Hebrew and you can get translations. Honestly, the translations suck. There is nothing that can compare to the original Hebrew. If you are interested though you can go to http://www.mechon-mamre.org they actually have the entire Torah on there. The translation is not great. But, its free. You can just read a little. I figured you might enjoy seeing it. Never feel silly about asking questions like these. Ever. Why would I expect you to know any of this? It is not your religion. There is tons I do not know about others. I had no idea that many Christians have such a hard time with the OT till I read about that on here. I always assumed they felt as we did about it. There is so much we all have left to learn. I also love these questions because they challenge me. I need to be able to answer all sort of questions about my religion. When I am stumped, that means there is more I personally need to learn.

Me too. Its something I truly love about being Jewish. I know that G-D wants me to question. Thats what we believe. You must speculate. Education is key. If you aren't educated about your religion then what are you doing? What do you really believe in? How can you really believe?

I wonder if there is a reformed place in Miami. I have to look around. I don't have any Jewish friends anymore who actually practice. I only have 1 Jewish friend and he isn't very religious. It's more like he's ethnically Jewish. Oh well, I can't count on him for much. :\

Thank you so much for that link. I'm gonna check it out. Curiosity has gotten to me lately lol. I actually didn't know there was much of a difference either. I mean, besides the obvious. I haven't been Christian in about 10 years so I tend to forget a lot. It wasn't till college that I found out the difference. It was in a theology course that was really interesting. I agree with you completely. If there is something I need to know then I must go out and find knowledge. For spells and rituals, if I'm not sure, I ask my coven leader who is an "elder". Ours is older than all of us and she has the most wisdom. She's also very open on a spiritual level. Our religion dives deep into the spirit world a lot like Voodoo and Santeria. We believe that understanding Death is a key to understanding life.

Exactly. I agree completely. I like to believe God gave us intelligence for a reason.

Yeah I re-read it and I do sorta jump all over the place with my thoughts....

Basically my thoughts on gay marriage is that I don't care if they want to be gay because it does not directly impact my life in any way. And I have no right to tell people how they should lead their lives and I don't want to discriminate against anyone for any reason.

What I mean about marriage is that I think God made marriage as between a man and a woman and that is it. Humans will change it to what they want it to be like they do most things.

So in the eyes of humans marriage could be a man and a man or woman and woman but in the eyes of God marriage is a man and a woman. If not that then its not an "Official Godly marriage" I suppose you could say... Not that that makes them any less married but I don't think it is proper marriage I guess.

But yeah, at the end of the day its their choice. I don't agree with gay marriage but I don't oppose it. Its unfair to look down on someone for being gay so I don't. I treat everyone from every race and lifestyle as I would like to be treated, with respect.

I would congratulate someone for marrying someone of the same sex, I'd attend a same sex wedding. But I'm not about to go out and shag a male or protest a gay pride festival.

Christianity is not a religion its a personal relationship with Christ. We are all accountable for our actions and at the end of the day only God really knows the answers. I just try to live my life as pure, fair and Godly as possible. I try to live like Christ would, hanging out with the sinners, gentiles, lepers and prostitutes. No good has ever come from sitting inside the walls of a church bible bashing the world, I try to be a role model and a good person and people know that I follow God and it leaves a positive impact on people. I can only tell people what I think and give advice, after that it is up to them and God what they do. The choice is theirs and God doesn't lie, He will always give the the right answer.

That's a bit off topic but I think it kinda explains why I think what I do about gay marriage, probably not....

And yes, I agree. I think Jesus would much rather see everyone getting on than the world bickering over something so dumb. He'd much rather see gays and straights working together to better the world and bring people to Him than squabble.

Its not really as big of an issue as everyone makes it out to be.... Just chill I reckon.

I wish more people thought the way you do. Well, especially Americans. It's sick how they use the Bible here. It stains the very name of Christianity in my eyes.

I like the fact that you don't push your beliefs. It's a personal thing to you and that is wonderful. We can all learn from each other and I'm glad that we do. We just each have our own thoughts on it. I just wish with all my heart that more people thought like you. No matter how we view it, it should be up the person. The way I always see it is, "it's between them, their conscious and God".

I like the way you said that it's not a religion but a personal relationship with Christ. That's an awesome way of putting it. It's like the way I see Wicca. It's not a religion, it's more about your personal relationship to the Divine. I think that God smiles on those who stick to their convictions but without hurting others. I can't be 100% sure of this but it's just a feeling I get.

Edited by Midnight Toker

I wish more people thought the way you do. Well, especially Americans. It's sick how they use the Bible here. It stains the very name of Christianity in my eyes.

I like the fact that you don't push your beliefs. It's a personal thing to you and that is wonderful. We can all learn from each other and I'm glad that we do. We just each have our own thoughts on it. I just wish with all my heart that more people thought like you. No matter how we view it, it should be up the person. The way I always see it is, "it's between them, their conscious and God".

I like the way you said that it's not a religion but a personal relationship with Christ. That's an awesome way of putting it. It's like the way I see Wicca. It's not a religion, it's more about your personal relationship to the Divine. I think that God smiles on those who stick to their convictions but without hurting others. I can't be 100% sure of this but it's just a feeling I get.

Yeah so do I, I personally cannot stand to be around other Christians. Most of them are self centered assholes who think they are better than others because they follow God. They all seem to forget the verse "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23. We have no right to consider ourselves above anyone else for any reason. And if someone does then they are an asshole and I hope someone punches them square in the face.

Pushing your beliefs on someone has never worked ever in history. Its the whole "lead a horse to water thing", I can only offer what I know to them and after that its all on them.

Christianity is a personal relationship, sitting in church acting all high and mighty will not bring you closer to God, you need to humble yourself and accept that you are not worthy. You cant say "look at my flash church building, I'm a terrific Christian".

God smiles upon those who live in the world but stay true to their values. Its always been about that...

Most Christians are dickheads and I completely understand why so many people hate us

I wonder if there is a reformed place in Miami. I have to look around. I don't have any Jewish friends anymore who actually practice. I only have 1 Jewish friend and he isn't very religious. It's more like he's ethnically Jewish. Oh well, I can't count on him for much. :\

Thank you so much for that link. I'm gonna check it out. Curiosity has gotten to me lately lol. I actually didn't know there was much of a difference either. I mean, besides the obvious. I haven't been Christian in about 10 years so I tend to forget a lot. It wasn't till college that I found out the difference. It was in a theology course that was really interesting. I agree with you completely. If there is something I need to know then I must go out and find knowledge. For spells and rituals, if I'm not sure, I ask my coven leader who is an "elder". Ours is older than all of us and she has the most wisdom. She's also very open on a spiritual level. Our religion dives deep into the spirit world a lot like Voodoo and Santeria. We believe that understanding Death is a key to understanding life.

Exactly. I agree completely. I like to believe God gave us intelligence for a reason.

There for sure is!! There are tons of Jews in Miami and tons of Israelis too. They love Miami. You can just do a quick search on the internet. Also, most Jewish family's love having people over for Sabbath meals. So you should go on like a friday night or saturday afternoon to sabbath services. Which are the best. Contact the temple before and see if they can give set you up with a family for a meal. There is nothing else like it in the world. I know it sounds like a weird thing to call up and ask for. But, its totally normal for us.

NP!! I used to use it for school sometimes if I just needed something fast or I wasn't home. Definitely take a look. Curiosity is a good thing in this case. Understood. Its cool that you took that class and learned a lot! Yeah so its the same for me only I have my Rabbi or religious teachers from my old school ect. Very cool!

Exactly!

Yeah so do I, I personally cannot stand to be around other Christians. Most of them are self centered assholes who think they are better than others because they follow God. They all seem to forget the verse "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23. We have no right to consider ourselves above anyone else for any reason. And if someone does then they are an asshole and I hope someone punches them square in the face.

Pushing your beliefs on someone has never worked ever in history. Its the whole "lead a horse to water thing", I can only offer what I know to them and after that its all on them.

Christianity is a personal relationship, sitting in church acting all high and mighty will not bring you closer to God, you need to humble yourself and accept that you are not worthy. You cant say "look at my flash church building, I'm a terrific Christian".

God smiles upon those who live in the world but stay true to their values. Its always been about that...

Most Christians are dickheads and I completely understand why so many people hate us

It's terrible that it's gotten to the point where if someone tells me they are Christian, I kinda cringe. Luckily enough the people I do know are a lot like you.

I agree with everything you said. Some of these Americans are just so.. ugh. "Hey, I'm the best Christian there is cause I tell people that God hates fags!" Or they use their religion to gain power. That's the one that really gets me.

Oh well, I believe in Karma and I believe strongly in the afterlife. No one escapes it. We all have to pay our dues.

There for sure is!! There are tons of Jews in Miami and tons of Israelis too. They love Miami. You can just do a quick search on the internet. Also, most Jewish family's love having people over for Sabbath meals. So you should go on like a friday night or saturday afternoon to sabbath services. Which are the best. Contact the temple before and see if they can give set you up with a family for a meal. There is nothing else like it in the world. I know it sounds like a weird thing to call up and ask for. But, its totally normal for us.

NP!! I used to use it for school sometimes if I just needed something fast or I wasn't home. Definitely take a look. Curiosity is a good thing in this case. Understood. Its cool that you took that class and learned a lot! Yeah so its the same for me only I have my Rabbi or religious teachers from my old school ect. Very cool!

Exactly!

I had no idea I could do this. Now I really want to give this a try. What's a Sabbath meal though? You guys have a whole rich culture. It's amazing. It's good to know that contacting them wouldn't be weird. XD "Who's the weird guy?" I get that enough as it is. lol

Theology courses are mind blowing. The amount of religions in the world is just crazy. I went through this whole phase when I was in college where I wanted to be everything so lol I wanted to be an anthropologist at one point. So silly since I'm not that great at science but I was so interested in other cultures and religions. That's what led me to the class I took. It was just so awesome. I took a class on the New Testament vs the Old. That was interesting. I learned a little bit about the Torah but it wasn't enough. My professor for that class was Jewish. Nice guy. He hated when people would use the word "jew" though so ever since then I try not to use it. I'm not sure if that was his thing or if it's common. I always wondered that...

It's terrible that it's gotten to the point where if someone tells me they are Christian, I kinda cringe. Luckily enough the people I do know are a lot like you.

I agree with everything you said. Some of these Americans are just so.. ugh. "Hey, I'm the best Christian there is cause I tell people that God hates fags!" Or they use their religion to gain power. That's the one that really gets me.

Oh well, I believe in Karma and I believe strongly in the afterlife. No one escapes it. We all have to pay our dues.

Yeah it sucks that we get so looked down on for being Christian. I personally love it when people only find out I'm a Christian if they ask or it comes up in conversation and they say "I thought you were. You never swear or anything", it means that I am a normal functioning member of society. Which Christians should be, not outcasts or elitist or anything other than normal people.

It's not only Americans, its like that all over the world.

I don't believe in Karma but I do know that God does judge everyone by their heart and if its full of hate then God punishes that but he rewards those who do good and promote His kingdom. Which I kinda like to think I sorta do not to bad at...

I think at the end of the day you have to happy with yourself. Love yourself, love others and live a life that is just happy. I like to think that the Divine rewards us. Peace will reward itself with more peace.

Is it bad where you are like it is here? I'm just curious because our politicians like to use God as a campaign tool. It really disgusts me.

I think at the end of the day you have to happy with yourself. Love yourself, love others and live a life that is just happy. I like to think that the Divine rewards us. Peace will reward itself with more peace.

Is it bad where you are like it is here? I'm just curious because our politicians like to use God as a campaign tool. It really disgusts me.

Exactly, no body likes an extremest of any belief/lack of belief. If someone doesn't want to believe in something then I am completely fine with that, just don't be a douche about it. Same goes for people that do believe something and think everyone else should believe the same thing.

Yeah but probably in different ways. You don't really hear anything from the politicians about it, but then again I don't listen to them or follow politics. But there is a lack of teaching of any kind of religion. Schools are getting rid of religious learning because its "bias", so a lot of kids are growing up without any knowledge of any sort of high power at all. Which I think is pretty damn bias. If they wanted to not be bias they would give kids knowledge of God and let them decide for themselves. At least in the States kids are growing up with some knowledge on the subject.

So many kids here would have never touched a bible in their lives or never stood in a religious building.

I hate New Zealand, its all about sex, drinking, rugby and swearing and it pisses me right off. People over here are actually genuinely surprised when they find out I'm Christian, Its like we are a bloody endangered species or something.

I had no idea I could do this. Now I really want to give this a try. What's a Sabbath meal though? You guys have a whole rich culture. It's amazing. It's good to know that contacting them wouldn't be weird. XD "Who's the weird guy?" I get that enough as it is. lol

Theology courses are mind blowing. The amount of religions in the world is just crazy. I went through this whole phase when I was in college where I wanted to be everything so lol I wanted to be an anthropologist at one point. So silly since I'm not that great at science but I was so interested in other cultures and religions. That's what led me to the class I took. It was just so awesome. I took a class on the New Testament vs the Old. That was interesting. I learned a little bit about the Torah but it wasn't enough. My professor for that class was Jewish. Nice guy. He hated when people would use the word "jew" though so ever since then I try not to use it. I'm not sure if that was his thing or if it's common. I always wondered that...

You should! So on Friday night we begin our Sabbath which is a day of rest. We literally don't do anything. Well Orthodox don't other people do some stuff. It lasts till sundown on Saturday. Most Jews have a really nice Friday night meal with family. Orthodox also have a Saturday lunch. Its basically a big fancy meals with guests. There are some religious customs. Its just a nice time. I recommend it because Sabbath services are really nice and then you should get the experience of Sabbath as well! We do have a pretty awesome culture! No usually Temples are really open to that sort of thing. Especially reform or conservative. Reconstructionist too but I wouldnt go there because its not really authentic Judaism.

For sure! I always have a tough time in theology courses because I nit pick everything about my religion lol. But, I am glad you enjoy them! I never heard about someone being upset over the word Jew. I mean people ask me all the time if I find it offensive being called a Jew. But, I have no idea why. We refer to ourselves as Jews. I am a Jew. I don't know why that would be considered offensive really. I don't know any other Jews who do.

Exactly, no body likes an extremest of any belief/lack of belief. If someone doesn't want to believe in something then I am completely fine with that, just don't be a douche about it. Same goes for people that do believe something and think everyone else should believe the same thing.

Yeah but probably in different ways. You don't really hear anything from the politicians about it, but then again I don't listen to them or follow politics. But there is a lack of teaching of any kind of religion. Schools are getting rid of religious learning because its "bias", so a lot of kids are growing up without any knowledge of any sort of high power at all. Which I think is pretty damn bias. If they wanted to not be bias they would give kids knowledge of God and let them decide for themselves. At least in the States kids are growing up with some knowledge on the subject.

So many kids here would have never touched a bible in their lives or never stood in a religious building.

I hate New Zealand, its all about sex, drinking, rugby and swearing and it pisses me right off. People over here are actually genuinely surprised when they find out I'm Christian, Its like we are a bloody endangered species or something.

Wow. I think kids should learn about all religions. They should learn about Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Taoism Wicca, Voodoo, Santeria you name it. Like a world religion class or something. Even let them learn about lack of religion. Teach them what an atheist is. That's how I grew up. We learned about everything in my household. Nothing was taboo. It was all open. I'm a firm believer in teaching kids HOW to learn not WHAT to learn.

Just because you are Christian doesn't mean you stop living life. I hate when people make those assumptions. "Oh you're a cool guy." and then they find out your Christian and it's like you're a space alien. I don't understand that at all. Whatever, people are strange. lol I don't like extremes. They bother me. I think here in the States it's all about money and greed. Meh.

You should! So on Friday night we begin our Sabbath which is a day of rest. We literally don't do anything. Well Orthodox don't other people do some stuff. It lasts till sundown on Saturday. Most Jews have a really nice Friday night meal with family. Orthodox also have a Saturday lunch. Its basically a big fancy meals with guests. There are some religious customs. Its just a nice time. I recommend it because Sabbath services are really nice and then you should get the experience of Sabbath as well! We do have a pretty awesome culture! No usually Temples are really open to that sort of thing. Especially reform or conservative. Reconstructionist too but I wouldnt go there because its not really authentic Judaism.

For sure! I always have a tough time in theology courses because I nit pick everything about my religion lol. But, I am glad you enjoy them! I never heard about someone being upset over the word Jew. I mean people ask me all the time if I find it offensive being called a Jew. But, I have no idea why. We refer to ourselves as Jews. I am a Jew. I don't know why that would be considered offensive really. I don't know any other Jews who do.

That sounds awesome. I just remembered that I have a friend now who is Jewish and I totally forgot. I was telling her how someone was teaching me things and she got offended. LOL She's Reform tho so I'm sure there is a difference? She's very laid back and so are her parents. So I dunno. The dinner sounds awesome. It just sounds like a nice time to get everyone together and be a family which I think in today's culture, we lack. I was gonna ask cause my friend ended up giving me coins. What is the significance of that? It's for Hanukkah right? She was just like "Here, have some candy". XD Isn't the first day like December 8th? o.O She's a weird person.. I should expect this from her.

I do the same when they bring up Paganism so I totally relate. ;) It was totally weird for me to have him be upset over it since everyone else I knew who was Jewish had no problem with it. Now I'm more aware of it so I always ask. :x