The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Okay ladies and gentleman, I have an announcement to make.

My name is Karen, I'm 19 years old, and I'm an addict...to Burt's Bees Chapstick. Not even kidding. I WISH it were a joke, and although this isn't an addiction on a major scale, it's still enough to put an amount of control over my life. While I was lying in my bed this morning at oh, about 6:20am, the thought that went through my head was "man...I really should try to give up Burt's Bees, this isn't cool" (yes, this is what I think about in the early morning).

I've tried before, but no other chapstick gives me that tingly feeling that Burt's does, and I think that's why the product is so marketable. But when I don't have the chapstick, I go through withdrawal symptoms, such as tingling and burning on my lips. It SUCKS. I haven't gotten very far before in my quest to relinquish the hold that it has on me. And yeah, this might sound funny, but it's all true - and it goes to show that addictions can be annnnnnyyyyythiiiiinngggggg. Gotta stress that. It could be sex, sniffing markers, food, anything. I already have an addictive personality because both of my parents are addicts. Although my mom is sober now doesn't make her any less of an addict, and unfortunately I still have the genes. That's why I don't drink or smoke, but addictions can manifest themselves in various ways and I am more prone to having other addictions because I have an addictive personality.

So what do you think? Any addictions? Feel free to use your own discretion to comment. =)

I just want to be sure we're all on the same page about addictions. I feel like many people use the term "addict" loosely. Like, I could say I'm addicted to chocolate, but I'm really not because it doesn't control my life. Chocolate revolves around me, I don't revolve my life around chocolate.

Dictionary.com defines addictions as "the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma." source found HERE.

I havent used burts bees for two days now (I've been sticking to Nivea (which has SPF but no menthol, which is what burts bees had that causes the tingly feeling), vaseline intensive care (for dry lips), and regular vaseline. The regular vaseline is the best, imo, becuase it just moisturizes and doesn't have extra added anything. It's been around for years and it's tried and true. My lips dont burn anymore, which is good, but i've noticed they are really dry because the chapstick has been taking away their own moisturizing properties. So hopefully that will go away in time >.<

Addicted to COFFEE! Coffee is not just..coffee. It's a religion. An idea. IT'S LAV!! No seriously i'm really addicted to caffeine >.< I can get high just with the smell of it. I've been drinking since the age of 13. For some time, before i enter uni when i used to study about 10+ hours a day, i used to drink around 4-5 mugs of coffee each day. Last year i started to have heart palpitations lol and the doctor told me to quit coffee for a week. I think i lasted 2 days. But it was painful :mellow:

However, the past year i only drink 2 cups of coffee per day :D

Edited by something better

Addicted is a HUGE word for me. I don't believe in addiction unless it is scientifically prooved there's something in that thing that is actually addictive. To me caffine isn't addictive either.

But things I really get stuck into/onto are mainly sweet foods or whatever I crave at the time. Lately it's been nachos.

^ Oh god, I've been craving nachos loads lately too! :drool:

I'm not sure if it's the caffeine in Cola that I'm slightly addicted to or not. I don't drink coffee so I can't use that to tell, and I don't know if tea has quite the same caffeine content but that does seem to satify the cola thirst for a while... hmm. I'm not massively addicted to it, I CAN live without it, but the cravings and withdrawal symptoms mixed with the 'highs' are, I guess, pretty similar to most addictions, if to a lesser extent.

I have a very addictive personality, hence why I won't dream of touching any drugs, including smoking and drink very little alcohol. I think it is possible to become addicted to a lot of things. People with anorexia, for example, can become addicted to exercise, which may be to do with the chemicals released during exercise or simply the routines and patterns which exercise forms in the mind and body. I don't know if addiction is scientifically the right word, I need to read up on this more, but there has been a lot more talk of addictions to a variety of things in the media recently. The extent to which most things have been scientifically classified as addictions, I am unaware of.

In fact, I'm pretty sure there is a fairly loose word interchange between 'addiction' and 'obsession' in some cases.

I am obsessed with food, for example, but I don't know whether this is partly due to a physiological addiction to sugar or another chemical, or purely psychological.

Perhaps that's what needs classifying: the difference between physiological addictions (those which have a physical effect on the body) and psychological addictions, if such things exist, which is more like obsessive thinking.

I apologise for my extended ramble, I was thinking a lot whilst typing. Little in this post is therefore factual, just my rambling old logic throwing out suggestions.

Gah, I need sleep :P

^ Oh god, I've been craving nachos loads lately too! :drool:

I'm not sure if it's the caffeine in Cola that I'm slightly addicted to or not. I don't drink coffee so I can't use that to tell, and I don't know if tea has quite the same caffeine content but that does seem to satify the cola thirst for a while... hmm. I'm not massively addicted to it, I CAN live without it, but the cravings and withdrawal symptoms mixed with the 'highs' are, I guess, pretty similar to most addictions, if to a lesser extent.

I have a very addictive personality, hence why I won't dream of touching any drugs, including smoking and drink very little alcohol. I think it is possible to become addicted to a lot of things. People with anorexia, for example, can become addicted to exercise, which may be to do with the chemicals released during exercise or simply the routines and patterns which exercise forms in the mind and body. I don't know if addiction is scientifically the right word, I need to read up on this more, but there has been a lot more talk of addictions to a variety of things in the media recently. The extent to which most things have been scientifically classified as addictions, I am unaware of.

In fact, I'm pretty sure there is a fairly loose word interchange between 'addiction' and 'obsession' in some cases.

I am obsessed with food, for example, but I don't know whether this is partly due to a physiological addiction to sugar or another chemical, or purely psychological.

Perhaps that's what needs classifying: the difference between physiological addictions (those which have a physical effect on the body) and psychological addictions, if such things exist, which is more like obsessive thinking.

I apologise for my extended ramble, I was thinking a lot whilst typing. Little in this post is therefore factual, just my rambling old logic throwing out suggestions.

Gah, I need sleep :P

Yeah, Cola has a LOT of caffeine. My friend's girlfriend was addicted to diet coke, she said she pretty much went through withdrawal when she stopped drinking it. Crazy, right? I also have an addictive personality, due to family history, so I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs either. Straight edge ftw! ^_^ And you're right. It is possible to become addicted to maaaaany things, the human mind is a very powerful thing, and if it is against you, it's against you. Kinda crazy, no? Addictions are so complicated and there is so much controversy about them because there are different levels and types of addictions for everybody. And thank you for clearing the physiological and psychological addictions up, I certainly didnt know the different and it's good to be informed =)

I'm not sure if it's the caffeine in Cola that I'm slightly addicted to or not.

I don't know if addiction is scientifically the right word, I need to read up on this more, but there has been a lot more talk of addictions to a variety of things in the media recently. The extent to which most things have been scientifically classified as addictions, I am unaware of.

Actually, Katharine, I love how you've reasoned out logic on the issue. Sometimes factual based knowledge is not needed if you draw on a variety of subjects/fields which interchange some of the information discussed. Making educated guesses are not bad. Of course, there is room for trial and error but your reasoning seems solid.

Like you, I will need to read up further on the term "addiction". However, I have dealt with addiction both first-hand and second-hand. Either way it was and still isn't pretty. I've debated quite a lot regarding the information which I do share with members in this forum section.

Being that it is a public-accessed forum, I will negate some details. But, I will tell you all a bit in hopes that my experience would be relatable to others on some level or another. My step-father is an alcoholic. Sometimes, I add the modified verb before it (in my mind) to say "recurring" rather than "recovering". It may seem harsh to think so, but I do believe he is beyond the "recovery" stage.

He has tried many times, and many times he has relapsed. That is not to say that for others, it is not possible to remain sober. Some people successfully do. It did however, put such a shadow over my childhood and teenagehood growing up and affected me extremely negatively.

I once asked him, years ago, what attracts him to alcohol. For a while he maintained the "functioning" stage of alcoholism--the stage in which many people can handle their drink and still maintain semi-high positions in their companies and corporations. It started getting worse and worse (it was worse to begin with) and he has lost many, many jobs due to his addiction.

He replied to my question with a question: "Do you know how you constantly eat food?" I admit, I had an addiction to food. It didn't necessarily help that I received numerous comments growing up about my food choices. At 11, I was already overweight for my height.

Most of my food choices involved high-sugar and processed foods, growing up, plus Caribbean food (some of which is not the healthiest in the world). My weight bounced up and down like a yo-yo. I'd lose weight and get a comment about my weight loss, and binge afterwards. Besides psychological thinking, there was also a physiological factor involved: my blood sugar was simply high. Foods which retain nutrients, or are processed with more saturated than unsaturated fat, will provide stimulation to the body. Once you take away, say, excessive sugar, you will have a craving on some level.

I believe where craving crosses the line into action is where obsession crosses the line into addiction. Eating, for me, was an ingrained and practiced motor skill, had an addictive quality to it (ingredient-wise), and gave me an emotional gratification I seemed to have lacked or had too much of ("emotional eating"). It was just as much an addiction as alcoholism is considered an addiction .

My (step-)father described to me that when it got to the point where physical withdrawl symptoms were worse than actually drinking, I understood. Alcohol has a concentration of ethyl alcohol, which is easily absorbed through the intestine (I believe? I posted a link in the Energy Drink Thread--Post Number 13 of this forum) which then floods the bloodstream and slows down the body processes (misfiring neurons).

People will describe a "high" at this point (just like a "sugar high"). Just as with any other type of drug or addictive-quality food ingredient, the body will take in the substance. Once a plateau of that substance is formed--a high enough one--the "come down" in the blood is quite bumpy. If alcohol is drunken enough, the user can experience withdrawls as mild as shakey hands to as severe as a red face or hallucinations. To some "addicts", it makes more sense to continue for fear of these effects happening to them (again).

Prior to, maybe, a year or two ago, I was still eating high-processed foods. After working in a supermarket and watching what people bought (the same items I bought), and reading articles about alarming statistics, and coming to the realization that I did not have the best genes (or metabolism for that matter) in the world, I started opting for preventitive measures. I ate until I was satiated (just full enough), and first cut out soda (the hardest), sugar beverages, and fast food. I did not exercise until six months ago.

I do eat well enough--5 to 6 portioned meals a day--and cook largely from scratch. That is not to say I will have an off day and eat sugary foods. Essentially, I moved my obsessive food "intentions" and "actions" into a passion and love for food which I know I can control effectively by using healthy methods of cooking, reading, and ocassionally journaling.

Any moderate to concerned addiction can be "cured" only if a person does not let fear stop himself/herself. The mind is a powerful force.

That being said, both of my parents are smokers. And the majority of my family smokes. Needless to say, I'm not looking to start any habits anytime soon, as I would most likely retain an addictive personality.

By the way, Katharine, the caffeine in cola will have an addictive quality, but keep in mind that it also has sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and preservatives, all of which can be overconsumed and therefore considered "addictive".

I hope this long post helps :o . :D

Edited by Lena

^ Thank you :)

It's really inspiring how you've changed your life around. Well done, that takes a hell of a lot of strength.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the sugar that's more addictive for me personally, than the caffeine.

Thank you, Katharine. :blush: I logged into the Forum early this morning, when I woke up, from my phone and took a look at the unread threads in this forum section. When I read your latest post, it kind of put a smile on my face. I kind of needed that after last night. That kind of solidified things for me and got me going today. I appreciate it :yesyes: .

Keep in mind, though, I'm still trying to turn my life around. It's a continuous process and I take many, many steps back in that process. It looks good, on paper, what I've done and how I've done it. I'm not nearly that perfect, however.

I do digress, though, as this thread is still about "addiction".

I hope other people do post in this thread; everything that is said here by members is super-informative to me. :D

In all seriousness, I think I'm addicted to music. It distracts me from pretty much everything. When I don't have school, I'm just in my room all day with my headphones glued to me. My mom has to come in to remind me to do everything (This includes eating. Yes, my mom has to remind me to EAT because I forget to). I go to bed at 3 AM not because I'm up doing homework or anything important...just sitting and listening to music and singing. It's a struggle for me to do what I need to because I can't function without my iTouch >.< It sounds so silly and typical for people of my age, but it's not even funny.

This doesn't mean I never do what I'm supposed to though. Sometimes I can get myself together and tell myself I have to do this, but it takes effort.

^ Oh my God, don't I know that feeling :doh: . Especially the "Sometimes I can get myself together and tell myself I have to do this, but it takes effort". I think that goes for me and the Internet.

But the music thing: The first thing I do in the morning is put on music. And music is the last thing I hear before I go to bed. The only time I'm not listening to music is when I am pretty much sleeping. :P

I walk and listen to music, cycle and listen to music (even when I'm in traffic; in which case it's low volume), clean, blah blah etc. etc. It doesn't prevent me from what I need to do, though. I do tap and bang things to keep beat, because I played violin and cello for so long. Originally wanted to play the drums though :P .

YES, MUSIC IS AN ADDICTION! :lol:

Semi-healthy? Minus the not eating part. :doh:

• 1 month later...

In all seriousness, I think I'm addicted to music. It distracts me from pretty much everything. When I don't have school, I'm just in my room all day with my headphones glued to me. My mom has to come in to remind me to do everything (This includes eating. Yes, my mom has to remind me to EAT because I forget to). I go to bed at 3 AM not because I'm up doing homework or anything important...just sitting and listening to music and singing. It's a struggle for me to do what I need to because I can't function without my iTouch >.< It sounds so silly and typical for people of my age, but it's not even funny.

This doesn't mean I never do what I'm supposed to though. Sometimes I can get myself together and tell myself I have to do this, but it takes effort.

Oh i feel ya hun :)

Since i was little music has been been a huge part of my life, and not any particular kind music - all types :) Rap, hip hop, classical, pop music, rock music, old music from the 60-70s. I was one of those kids who would hum and sing all day long lol, still am to be fair. Playing instruments is another big addiction for me, my mum and dad noticed my ability to listen to music and also know when someone was singing off key very early on, so they bought me a piano and a guitar. I had a teacher for my piano but only for about a year and a half then i began teaching myself. Never had a teacher for the guitar, just my dad taught me the basics when i was little and since then it just stuck.

People always tell me i should have done a music degree and teach music to kids. But i never wanted to turn my love for music into a career, as i always feared it would take the love away from it.

A perfect example of how music and singing has effected me, is when im watching Xfactor. When its the live shows, someone is singing and doing their song etc. I sit there and instead of watching i close my eyes and cringe whenever i hear a sour note or the singer is a little of key. No one else in the room notices it and always go, "wow she was amazing" but then i would list off how many times that person couldnt reach a certain note. My family and friends are used to it now, but new friends think im crazy lol. But thats my addiction, sitting there and noticing teeny tiny blemishes in someones performance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have one addiction: and that would be soda. I drink atleast 2 bottles a day about 3 or 4 a day on the weekends. The caffeine has gotten to me I'm afraid.

One of the recruiters at the local USMC office drinks Monster like it's water. He justifies it by drinking 3 times as much water. :P Another recruiter from the office is also a heavy smoker but surprisingly he's in better shape than most of the recruits in the pools and probably even most of the other recruiters; gets straight 300pts on his PT tests.

------

Well for me, I'm a smoker as well so you can say I'm addicted to that. I wouldn't right out say that I'm addicted to the nicotine though... (but I may be in denial). I call it more of a habit 'cause I smoke at certain parts of the day, not when I get cravings. Gotta have one around breakfast and have a fag every couple hours or so; like just before going into work, during a break, just after getting off or when there's at least 10 minutes of wait time when downloading something or waiting for something. I also have a strong liking (not quite addiction) to coffee; I don't like to drink caffeinated drinks like soda and energy drinks anymore (sugar is terrible for the teeth) but I pretty much have to have 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning to start my day off and maybe have another cup or two during the day like afternoon tea.

Edited by sirbenedictvs

for me, I'm a smoker, though I don't believe that I am addicted to the niccotine, as I do not get cravings for cigarettes, even when I go several days (or weeks) without, for me its a social/habitual thing, and the only time I smoke heavily tends to be at work, as it gets to be a very stressful/fustrating place at times, plus a lot of my workmates smoke, so its a difficult environment to quit in.

I used to be fairly addicted to caffeine too, drinking two or three cans of relentless/monster a day, but I made a conscious effort to stop having so much, and went cold turkey on anything with a high caffeine content (including things like diet coke), and although I felt like crap for about a week, I found that I could work the same hours (10+hour days 5/6 days a week) without the energy drinks and without getting tired, and felt much better as a result, so now whilst I occasionally do still have energy drinks, the reliance of caffeine is much reduced.

I also drink quite a lot of alcohol, although again, I do not feel that I am addicted to it, as I don't feel the 'need' to drink to function, its usually just a social thing, although, we do have a tendency to always go for a pint or two after work, and there are times after a shift where it feels like you 'need' a drink, so so it could be argued that there is some kind of low level addiction there.

It's interesting to note that, according to some scientists (I believe they were UN scientists, but I cannot remember the source) that around the world, more than 1/3 of all adults can be classified as addicted to caffeine

One of the recruiters at the local USMC office drinks Monster like it's water. He justifies it by drinking 3 times as much water. :P Another recruiter from the office is also a heavy smoker but surprisingly he's in better shape than most of the recruits in the pools and probably even most of the other recruiters; gets straight 300pts on his PT tests.

Well, I wonder if the lack of Monster or the lack of smoke will get to either one of them once they get to Parris Island? Cuz there's no Monster or cigarettes there I promise you lol.

• 5 weeks later...