The Emma-Watson.net Forum

There's a short article about it right here.

I've had this for almost a year now. At first it was pretty scary because I had no idea what was wrong with me. Even a strand of hair that falls on my face can cause a reaction. But I've learned to accept it and even embrace that fact that my skin is super sensitive. It's also become so much of a distraction at school because I just write on myself all the time (which freaks some people out...)xD

So, has anyone heard of it or know anyone with it?

I've never heard of it, but it makes sense I guess. I have sensitive skin but not that sensitive, lol.

Why do you write on yourself, jw?

Well I never heard of it before but now that I've looked it up I can understand how it can become a distraction.

If it all stands out so clearly, I'd probably write stuff on me too, or draw patterns up and down my arms. IF it doesn't itch like mad or burn or something.

It's weird, but thankfully not life-threatening?

Well I never heard of it before but now that I've looked it up I can understand how it can become a distraction.

If it all stands out so clearly, I'd probably write stuff on me too, or draw patterns up and down my arms. IF it doesn't itch like mad or burn or something.

It's weird, but thankfully not life-threatening?

It does itch and burn. It was really annoying the first couple of months but you learn to get used to the feeling whenever sometime hits/scratches/brushes against you. It isn't life-threatening. Sometimes I don't even need physical contact for anything to appear; when I get stressed or aggravated, I get them on my face which is pretty embarrassing. <_<

@ Karen: umm...well I guess it's become a habit xD If you could write on yourself, and no one else you knew could, wouldn't you? :P Bottom line is I discovered something unique in myself.

Yeah, so I took a picture of it :ph34r:

you'll probably laugh at this, but THAT WRITING IS SO COOL!!!!! :P I have a friend who has smt like this. Whenever she scratches her skin it gets really red and it lasts a few minutes.It's obviously nothing compared to your skin bu she still has fun with it the same way you do. :)

it's really awesome how you learned to deal with it ;)

how were you diagnosed and how did it start? I hope you don't mind me asking questions lol

I'd never heard of it before, but, now I know of it. It seems rather horrid with the itching and swelling and stuff. But the fact you can draw on yourself is awsome.

It does itch and burn. It was really annoying the first couple of months but you learn to get used to the feeling whenever sometime hits/scratches/brushes against you. It isn't life-threatening. Sometimes I don't even need physical contact for anything to appear; when I get stressed or aggravated, I get them on my face which is pretty embarrassing. <_<

@ Karen: umm...well I guess it's become a habit xD If you could write on yourself, and no one else you knew could, wouldn't you? :P Bottom line is I discovered something unique in myself.

Yeah, so I took a picture of it :ph34r:

That is actually really cool! I thought you meant you wrote with pen on yourself lol, so I was like uhh..why would it freak her classmates out? That's pretty awesome though, and it's good that you found a positive thing out of something that could be perceived negatively.

you'll probably laugh at this, but THAT WRITING IS SO COOL!!!!! :P I have a friend who has smt like this. Whenever she scratches her skin it gets really red and it lasts a few minutes.It's obviously nothing compared to your skin bu she still has fun with it the same way you do. :)

how were you diagnosed and how did it start? I hope you don't mind me asking questions lol

It started at school probably around late May last year. I was just sitting in class and at the back of my neck I started getting this really burning itchy sensation (it was probably the tag in my shirt). For some stupid reason I just kept itching which made it worse and the welts took at least an hour to go away. After a few months of research I self-diagnosed myself with Dermatographia, which was a huge relief because I finally found out what was wrong with me xD

I'd never heard of it before, but, now I know of it. It seems rather horrid with the itching and swelling and stuff. But the fact you can draw on yourself is awsome.

The swelling can be really embarrassing when it happens on my face >.<

That is actually really cool! I thought you meant you wrote with pen on yourself lol, so I was like uhh..why would it freak her classmates out? That's pretty awesome though, and it's good that you found a positive thing out of something that could be perceived negatively.

lol it doesn't feel as cool as it looks, but as weird as this may sound, I hope it never really goes away. I'm pretty surprised no one on here has said it's creepy :P one of my friends can't stand it when I "skin write" on myself haha. However, I have gotten the "OMG you cut yourself???" remark :sweatdrop:

So, according to what Sammy answered she diagnosed herself. My question to Sammy is: Is Dermatographia a hereditary skin condition?

I agree with Madeline, I kind of :doh: think that the writing on your skin is cool looking, even though it must be painful for you to do so. As Karen said, at least you sort of made a "positive" tool for you to deal with what could be a negative skin condition.

My next question is, and I'm asking this in all seriousness, many people around our ages (17-20+) look to get their first tattoo. What are the complications in getting a tattoo for yourself? I would imagine it would be more than twice as painful, and prior to your condition last May did you ever think about getting one?

Also also (I am SO curious), do you know if Dermatographia develops particularly in the climate you are in currently? If you move away from Uganda, will the condition diminish any? Some of my family suffer from Eczema, which is another dermatological condition. It mostly manifests in itchy and chaffing skin, flakiness of a skin area, and extreme dryness. Our climate is not conducive to relieving Eczema. When my family member spent time down South, she discovered a bit of relief.

Enough of my questions. ;)

So, according to what Sammy answered she diagnosed herself. My question to Sammy is: Is Dermatographia a hereditary skin condition?

I honestly can't say. I'm adopted, so I wouldn't know if I got it from my parents or somewhere else down the line since I'm not their biological child. I do, however, have an under active thyroid (baha, I love how I'm just dishing out my medical disorders here xD) and apparently dermatographia can be linked to that.

My next question is, and I'm asking this in all seriousness, many people around our ages (17-20+) look to get their first tattoo. What are the complications in getting a tattoo for yourself? I would imagine it would be more than twice as painful, and prior to your condition last May did you ever think about getting one?

Well, I actually think tattoos are quite...ugly xD I've never wanted one and probably never will. If I did get one then I think my skin would do the same thing, just react more severely.

Also also (I am SO curious), do you know if Dermatographia develops particularly in the climate you are in currently? If you move away from Uganda, will the condition diminish any? Some of my family suffer from Eczema, which is another dermatological condition. It mostly manifests in itchy and chaffing skin, flakiness of a skin area, and extreme dryness. Our climate is not conducive to relieving Eczema. When my family member spent time down South, she discovered a bit of relief.

I'm not sure...I have a feeling that it probably wouldn't matter where I went, since it's just very oversensitive skin under pressure. I'm most likely moving to the states to go to college, so I'll let you know if it's disappeared during the winter months ;)

And don't feel bad about asking questions - I really like them! :D haha.

^ I have quite a few cats and when I play with them, I do end up looking like Frankenstein! xD I don't let them near my face though (or at least try not to). We also got a puppy a few weeks ago and she's teething, so when I play with her, she bites a little and I get marks from those.

All I can say, is thanks for posting this! I have super sensitive skin and I always just wrote it off as that. I didn't know that it was possible to be classified as something. I have a lot of the same symptoms as you. For example, I always have to sleep with my hair up because otherwise I wake up with tons of pimples and hives. I literally always have some sort of hives on my legs. My skin always gets irritated. So I feel your pain. And, I agree... It really sucks! Oh and, I do that writing thing too!!! Hahaha

So I guess my question is, do you have any tips or advice for me?

^ Yay! Of course, not yay because your skin is sensitive, yay because there's someone on here who has the same condition as me :P My hair gives me hives as well. When I wear a tank top, I have to keep it off of my shoulders or else I'll start to swell up.

I've heard that keeping your skin moisturized and drinking plenty of water will make hives less severe (for obvious reasons haha). I'm really, really bad at that though...-_-

^ Yay! Of course, not yay because your skin is sensitive, yay because there's someone on here who has the same condition as me :P My hair gives me hives as well. When I wear a tank top, I have to keep it off of my shoulders or else I'll start to swell up.

I've heard that keeping your skin moisturized and drinking plenty of water will make hives less severe (for obvious reasons haha). I'm really, really bad at that though...-_-

Hahaha Ikr?! I was sort of excited that I wasnt the only person in the world who delt with this. Like, I went to an indoor waterpark last week. I had red bumps all over me from the chemicals in the water... I was so sad because all my friends looked all cute in their new bikinis, but I had grossness covering my body!!! I was so down and no one understood! Lol

Yeah I suck at that too. I am trying to male lotion part of my daily routine but so far it hasn't stuck.

Edited by Arie
  • 2 months later...

Do you take any kind of histamine antagonists, if I may ask?

Nope. It doesn't bug me enough for me to take something to block the reaction. I guess you just get used to it.

You could give yourself a fake sleeve tattoo and try convince people that its in UV ink

I had to look this up tbh xD have to admit that is pretty cool, even though I'm not a fan of tattoos (please don't e-divorce me haha!).

• 3 weeks later...

This is actually really cool. I reflect the sentiment of others that the pain of it is not good (rather bad, actually), but the condition itself is really interesting. Kind of neat how both you and Arie have it, at least to some degree.

I have a few questions, however:

1. When you type, do the tips of your fingers get severely irritated / swelled?

2. Can you handle every day objects without it affecting you?

3. Does showering / taking a bath have this effect?f

4. Is there any part of your body that is NOT affected by it?

~Revan

This is actually really cool. I reflect the sentiment of others that the pain of it is not good (rather bad, actually), but the condition itself is really interesting. Kind of neat how both you and Arie have it, at least to some degree.

I have a few questions, however:

1. When you type, do the tips of your fingers get severely irritated / swelled?

2. Can you handle every day objects without it affecting you?

3. Does showering / taking a bath have this effect?f

4. Is there any part of your body that is NOT affected by it?

~Revan

1. Typing doesn't do anything. I play the guitar, so my left hand is already calloused.

2. It depends on the way I use it. If I'm using it so it irritates my skin, I'll swell up.

3. I take really hot showers, which makes my skin very dry and itchy, so I do get this affect after showering sometimes. I hate using cold water though.

4. As far as I know, the JUST bottom of my feet and my fingertips. The skin is so much tougher and less sensitive. Everywhere else I've swollen up..even on my scalp and lips.

1. Typing doesn't do anything. I play the guitar, so my left hand is already calloused.

2. It depends on the way I use it. If I'm using it so it irritates my skin, I'll swell up.

3. I take really hot showers, which makes my skin very dry and itchy, so I do get this affect after showering sometimes. I hate using cold water though.

4. As far as I know, the JUST bottom of my feet and my fingertips. The skin is so much tougher and less sensitive. Everywhere else I've swollen up..even on my scalp and lips.

Gosh. Thanks for your openness and your answers. :)

~Revan