The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Movies you need to watch

I was surfing around the Internet for threads which recommend classic/good movies but then I thought I ask you guys. So what do you recommend? Maybe with a short description why it is a must-see for you :yesyes:

A movie one needs to watch before it´s too late :doh:

I would highly recommend Pulp Fiction by Quentin Tarantino. I love stories where you just think: How will all this end?? It is a unique story with crazy characters and brilliant acting. It is violent, but also funny at times.

I don't think any movie is a must see before you die in the literal sense.

But with the fun and the spirit of this thread...

I have many but will start off with Shawkank Redemption. This is a film that will touch your soul. Some movies have happy endings but this one has an uplifting ending. After seeing the end of this movie you feel like life is worth living. It shows the importance of one true, good friend. You've heard the cliche about something being about life, love... Well this movie truly is.

This movie has several great lines but two that really express the heart of the movie are:

"Get busy living or get busy dying."

"I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope..."

Breakfast at Tiffanys is definitely a must in my opinion. In short it started the whole RomCom genre. I personally think it's a good enough movie that portrays that fake playboy lifestyle. Good story and relative relative likeness, I simply think it was a well put together film.

Edited by sirbenedictvs

Casablanca for sure, and I will include the classics such as The Godfather, Goodfellas, Forrest Gump, The Great Escape, Escape from Sobibor, Shawshank Redemption, and other movies similar to them. Also, everyone should see the movie Up.

Dude , that is the movie with Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman right?! I always watch it when it´s on tv, it is a great movie. To me the whole subplot with the old prisoner who was released and couldnt deal with the "real" world was very moving.

ckravitz, Goodfellas is one of my favorite movies !!

Always wanted to see Breakfast at Tiffanys but never made it and... the first few minutes of Up are the saddest..always makes me cry.

I also recommend Dancer in the Dark with Björk and The Virgin Suicides by Sofia Coppola.

I don't think any movie is a must see before you die in the literal sense.

But with the fun and the spirit of this thread...

I have many but will start off with Shawkank Redemption. This is a film that will touch your soul. Some movies have happy endings but this one has an uplifting ending. After seeing the end of this movie you feel like life is worth living. It shows the importance of one true, good friend. You've heard the cliche about something being about life, love... Well this movie truly is.

This movie has several great lines but two that really express the heart of the movie are:

"Get busy living or get busy dying."

"I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope..."

Bless this post. I really hate to use the word "best" or "favorite" when it comes to movies or music, but this movie is a piece of art. Always gives me hope and that life is unfair but the good triumphs in the end. Also let me add one more quote:

"Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And nothing good ever dies."

--------

Also people you have to watch Ben Hur. Yes it is part religious, but it's not just that. It has so many meanings, talks about love and unjustice and faith and hope. And the soundtrack is beyond divine.

I've been meaning to watch Out of Africa for quite some time now.

Edited by something better

Also let me add one more quote:

"Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And nothing good ever dies."

Absolutely. That is a great quote from the movie. Love this.

Okay, I'm gonna mention another movie. I'm starting with movies that I enjoy watching because there are some movies that you should see but are a chore to watch but you should see them anyway.

Blade Runner - Based on the Philip K. Dick novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. It is the first and I feel the best movie based on a Dick work. It's a noir film based in the (now not-too-distant) future. It's a beautiful looking film with an ethereal soundtrack. The special effects still look amazing after 30 years. In fact the effects way outdo a lot of the cartoony digital effects of today. It touches on your typical Dick themes - what's real, how long do we have, do we control our destiny, what's human etc.

A couple of the quotes from Blade Runner:

"More human than human is our motto."

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave. "

Edited by The Dude

Also people you have to watch Ben Hur. Yes it is part religious, but it's not just that. It has so many meanings, talks about love and unjustice and faith and hope. And the soundtrack is beyond divine.

Ben Hur huh? Who would have thought... but if you say it's good I'll definitely see it :)

There's the obvious Lord of the Rings trilogy (but who haven't seen these masterpieces?) Then there's a few others that I feel EVERYONE should see at one point because they are amazing works.

One is The Little Mermaid, there's no excuse people, see it!

Another one is Everything Is Illuminated because it's extremely funny and so touching, also it's very beautiful and has fabulous music.

10 Things I Hate About You should also be seen by everyone, no matter what your taste in movies are because it's a timeless story (hello it's based on Shakespeare! And has an awesome soundtrack).

Another Shakespeare story is the 1996 version of Romeo and Juliet, beautiful wonderful amazing! Watch, cry and enjoy.

The Matrix is another beautiful movie (watch it in Blu-Ray if you can) which is also mind-boggling and has all the action and drama you can ever wish for. If you like it, I recommend watching the sequels The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolution (some people don't like these but I think they're awesome movies continuing and finishing the story of Neo)

Will most likely add more to this list later as the movies pop up in my head...

--> What Dreams May Come.

The visual effects just take your breath away, beautiful story about losing your loved ones and trying to find a way to see them again. Robin Williams is great in it. The first time I saw it I cried my eyes out

Stand By Me

Like Shawshank, it is another movie based on a Stephen King short story. In fact the story that it's based on , The Body, is found in the same book as The Shawshank Redemption.

In the movie four friends have a last hurrah before going into Junior High School. They spend the last few days of Summer Vacation trekking to see the dead body of a boy their age who has been missing. But the story is about everything but that. It's about life, friends, family, who you can really count on, the bittersweetness of life and what kids lose of themselves as they grow into adults.

Some lines from the film:

"It happens sometimes. Friends come in and out of your life like busboys in a restaurant."

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"

The ending of the movie is all the more poignant now in light of River Phoenix dying just a few years later.

Edited by The Dude

Apocalypse Now

The other films I've mentioned uplift the human spirit. But this is quite the opposite. It's based on the Joseph Conrad novella Heart of Darkness. It truly is about the darkness that can lie within the human mind, heart and spirit. What are we capable of? Why do we do these things? Do we know why we do these things? We try to be God, but do we truly want this responsibility laid at our feet? The deep, dark recesses inside ourselves is explored at length.

Quotes:

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like...victory."

"The horror...the horror..."

Edited by The Dude
  • 4 weeks later...

The Road.

My favorite film. A beautiful story about a man looking after his son at all costs in a post apocalyptic world. Shows the downfall of civilization and humanity and at the same time showing the humanity, love and care left within those who are still strong at heart or "still carry the fire" as said in the film.

Also, beautifully shot with an eerie feel and a minimalistic feel while still delivering a full bodied movie.

I LOVE this movie.

Edited by Joe O'Connor

--> What Dreams May Come.

The visual effects just take your breath away, beautiful story about losing your loved ones and trying to find a way to see them again. Robin Williams is great in it. The first time I saw it I cried my eyes out

The book is absolutely amazing. My fav book after the HP series. The movie... had it all wrong. The whole plot of the book was that his wife DIDN'T believe in an afterlife therefore it would be difficult to see him. Yet he finds her so easily in the movie. Also in the book they had 4 kids, none of which died. But in the movie, since her kids had died, yeah, it does make her feel like she has noting to live for. But in the book she had four kids to live for. :/ So she really did take the selfish and easy way out.

I'm sorry but I didn't like the movie much since they changed so many unnecessary things. Like what the story was all about in the first place. :/

The only movie I can think of that needs to be watched is Titanic :D

Edited by Stan'sMommy
  • 3 weeks later...

I would say Amélie. I think it's so beautiful and a little strange.

Atonement is amazing too.

And Wes Anderson's Life aquatic and The Royal Tenenbaums, maybe not movies you need to watch, but I think they're great.