The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Have any of you ever wondered at some of the most intriguing questions that logic imposes on us when we look at the fact of worship as it seems to be decreed by the three great monotheistic religions ?

Whatever the name of the god, however his “word†came into this world, two defining qualities of this being seem to be omnipotence and omniscience. After all, this god created, in one way or another, the entire universe and all that’s in it.

Can anyone name a good reason why a being like that should feel any need to be“worshipped “? And if that’s the case, why not send the exact same “word†to all people in all languages loudly and clearly so it can’t be ignored? In fact, why not give the “right faith†to every human at birth?

Would you not say, if you’re honest, that probably the only thing the organized religions can provide the almighty god with is entertainment?

(Btw, I don’t mean to say there is no god. I don’t know. I just doubt he/she/it ever talked to us or gave us directions.)

I have wondered that, it's a good question. I think God doesn't need to be worshipped, we feel the need of worshiping Him, after all, God createdd the entire universe and all that's in it.

Hahaha Chris, maybe we are just entertaining God. Who knows? Good question though. I think worship is probably more beneficial to the person doing the worshiping rather than the one receiving all the attention. God probably doesn't need all the attention, in fact, I think He probably doesn't really want much at all. If he made the world and all of us, then he has us to play with and look at, so to speak. Religion is mostly a man-made thing though. The directions that he might have given us are more like guidelines - like the 10 commandments. It's not a bad way to live. But I don't think He was like, 'you MUST go to church every sunday or you will PEEEERISHHH!"

I think it's us who want need to worship. But not because we have to, but because we feel like doing it. Out of love? It's when you're in danger and a friend or your parents help you, don't you feel like super grateful? Like you want to hug them and kiss them and thank them for them being there for you and tell them everyday anyhow what they mean to you?

I think God doesn't need to be worshipped. All He needs is love. He created us out of love, and all He wants is us to acknowledge Him and love Him and our fellow humans. Worship is different than respect or gratefulness or love.

In fact, why not give the “right faith†to every human at birth?

What's the right faith exactly?

What I believe is first off worship can be done in many ways such as singing, playing music, painting ect. Any ways we use one of our talents to bring glory to a specific deity is considered worship (for example in ancient Greek times people would keep their houses clean and a fire going in the hearth to worship the goddess Hestia). In the Christian faith worship is done as a response the glory and power that is God. He doesn't need our worship, he doesn't require it, but it is a believer's natural response to a miracle. For example; if someone were to look out over a natural wonder like the grand canon and think or say "Wow isn't that amazing looking" that would be a natural response. In contrast if a person were to say or think "Wow, isn't that amazing looking, isn't God so amazing that he could have created it." that would be an act or worship since they gave God the credit so to speak.

Does that make sense?

I think going to church to worship is a personal choice. Some people like to go, perhaps it makes them feel better, or they like being part of the local church community. Even if you don't go to church on a regular basis, its good to know you have a place where you could go to have a private moment with God.

I know you could do that at home too, but some of the churches are such beautiful bulidings, and they seem to have an aura about them. [or is that just me?]

• 2 months later...

In fact, why not give the “right faith†to every human at birth?

God wants us to come to him because we want to. He gave us humans the choice of free will. He did create us, but didn't want to make "robots" out of our minds and hearts.

God wants us to come to him because we want to. He gave us humans the choice of free will. He did create us, but didn't want to make "robots" out of our minds and hearts.

I agree, because If we are given the "right faith" at birth then we loose what respect we have in God. If we always put all our faith in God for everything we did we would not learn and grow, and eventually loose touch of what faith really is. Because when we sometimes choose not to put our faith in God and things can go wrong then we can grow in our faith (Not to say that all of lifes problems are solved by putting faith in a God!). It helps us to rely on God and build a relationship with him. Where as if we always had that perfect faith, it would become something of no value, like for example the sun coming up, we know the sun will rise and therefore its just something that we expect to happen (Crap example I know but I cant think of anything else).

I hope you understand my point and Im not just talking dribble, it feels like Im rambling on a bit!

I really like your point joe!

What I've found, personally, because I've experienced both christian mentality and catholic mentality (although Catholicism is a section of christianity....you get what I mean!), is that Christians focus a LOT more on a personal relationship with God by the reading of the Bible and while the Bible reading is of course encouraged in catholicism but going to church is really the thing that is most encouraged. This is because catholics believe very very VERY strongly in the Eucharist, or the body and blood of christ and they feel that they have to go to mass every week to get it.

When I first joined my congregational church, it didn't bother me at all that I didn't receive the bread and wine every week, because I never felt that strong of an attachment to begin with. When i switched churches and stuff, it helped me to be more open and less stiff and really, truly ENJOY praising God. And I don't think that God wants or needs praise, but it helps me feel closer to Him and I think that's why many religious people worship. It's a way for us humans to feel something that is greater than us, for just a little bit.

I really like your point joe!

What I've found, personally, because I've experienced both christian mentality and catholic mentality (although Catholicism is a section of christianity....you get what I mean!), is that Christians focus a LOT more on a personal relationship with God by the reading of the Bible and while the Bible reading is of course encouraged in catholicism but going to church is really the thing that is most encouraged. This is because catholics believe very very VERY strongly in the Eucharist, or the body and blood of christ and they feel that they have to go to mass every week to get it.

When I first joined my congregational church, it didn't bother me at all that I didn't receive the bread and wine every week, because I never felt that strong of an attachment to begin with. When i switched churches and stuff, it helped me to be more open and less stiff and really, truly ENJOY praising God. And I don't think that God wants or needs praise, but it helps me feel closer to Him and I think that's why many religious people worship. It's a way for us humans to feel something that is greater than us, for just a little bit.

I go to a baptist church and never liked taking the bread and wine (actually juice :)). We only did it once a month but I felt that it wore off the meaning when you do it too much. I think that it should be a once a year at Easter thing. I found that I would get so used to doing it that it lost its true meaning (Which is a BIG thing haha).

"It's a way for us humans to feel something that is greater than us, for just a little bit"

I agree with this, there is an ammount of comfort that comes from worship, be it songs or prayer or whatever.

FOR EXAMPLE!

The other day I had to drive home at 3am (I legally had to be off the road by 10pm but dont tell no one), and right before I had to go a storm hit. Like a BIG storm. There was raging wind, hail, thunder, lightning that light up the whole sky (No kidding!). I was freaked out of my boots about driving home, but I prayed and it gave me comfort. It was only a 10km drive and I was still edgy, but prayer helped my by giving me comfort that I knew my God was looking over me.

And when ever I do the 150km drive from uni to my home town I ALWAYS pray and take my bible with me. I dont know if it does anything but it gives me comfort.

What I dont fully agree with though is that you said you dont think God wants or needs worship. He doesnt need it, no. But I think He does want it. After all we are praising Him for what He has done and does do for us. But weather or not you think worship is just singing in church or not is another thing....

• 4 weeks later...

Our worship of God is much more than just entertainment or religion. It is a relationship.

A common theme runs through all holy books. The early history of the holy book talks of those who begun mankind, how they walked with God in a very intimate way. As people became more and more finicky, and sunk deeper into darkness, they asked for more and more from God. God, being just, gave it to them.

An example of this is the Israelites wandering through the desert. They begged God for a society, for a religion, and thus God gave them the Mosaic Law. At no time did God require this of them. INDEED, He specified all He wanted was love. :)

Worship of God is a relationship. Don't view God as some man on a throne; He is our friend. Learn to know Him on a personal level. Pray. Invite Him into your heart in a totally irreligious way. Be personal. Be real.

~Revan

Our worship of God is much more than just entertainment or religion. It is a relationship.

A common theme runs through all holy books. The early history of the holy book talks of those who begun mankind, how they walked with God in a very intimate way. As people became more and more finicky, and sunk deeper into darkness, they asked for more and more from God. God, being just, gave it to them.

An example of this is the Israelites wandering through the desert. They begged God for a society, for a religion, and thus God gave them the Mosaic Law. At no time did God require this of them. INDEED, He specified all He wanted was love. :)

Worship of God is a relationship. Don't view God as some man on a throne; He is our friend. Learn to know Him on a personal level. Pray. Invite Him into your heart in a totally irreligious way. Be personal. Be real.

~Revan

Yes! It took me a long time to realize (and even longer to put it into action), that being close to God is having a relationship with Him. I had heard it, been told it, etc, but I had never realized how to do it. Now I'm on my way to being a better Christian because of it. When I was Catholic (I guess I still am but attend a different denomination church...) I used to think of God as this unattainable figure but now I just talk to Him as if he were sitting right next to me. When I first started branching out of Catholicism and looking into other forms of worship, a friend told me, "I know it sounds silly, but when I was learning how to pray I'd put a chair across from me and think that God was sitting in that chair". I thought about it, and I that's actually a great idea. Once I started talking to God on a more personal level I felt better and I realized that I can do more to work on our relationship.

• 1 month later...

Just coming to realize this over the last week or so. I've been alone in the flat a lot the last week or two and each time I've found myself listening to slower melodic Christian heavy metal, while just browsing the internet, I find myself going into such a relaxed, happy mood and every now and then thinking about God. I'm coming to find that I find peace and rest in God through this! Even though I'm not praying, worshiping and hardly thinking about Him, its like I'm somewhat in the presence of God, just relaxing and enjoying myself.

That's the end of my story. Praise God

Just coming to realize this over the last week or so. I've been alone in the flat a lot the last week or two and each time I've found myself listening to slower melodic Christian heavy metal, while just browsing the internet, I find myself going into such a relaxed, happy mood and every now and then thinking about God. I'm coming to find that I find peace and rest in God through this! Even though I'm not praying, worshiping and hardly thinking about Him, its like I'm somewhat in the presence of God, just relaxing and enjoying myself.

That's the end of my story. Praise God

Aw Joe, I love this! Thank you for sharing your personal story with us :)

I can also really hear (or read?) the happiness and peacefulness in your voice.

I got together with a girl from my uni's christian fellowship yesterday and we were working on songs to sing for next week! And Idk, I just love singing worship songs because it makes me feel so good inside! The lyrics are so simple and a lot are joyful. One of the girls I was talking with said something like, our values may be different (for christians), but I think the thing that brings us together is worship. And I think she's right!

I can't remember the exact reason but according to my dad (30 years as a presbyterian minister and studied theology at union semenary) the act of worship is to our benefit not God's we have this strange idea that we have to do as God asks because it's good for him but he's eternal and all powerful, we can't make him better. We tend to try to fit God into our understanding and therefore make him small but we should be trying to expand our understanding. Also the principle that the work of salvation has already been done for us and all we have left is to be grateful, I don't know about anyone else but I feel that singing a few songs reading the bible and hearing a sermon once a week is not only good for me as a practising christian but it also seems like the least I could do to show my gratitude for what God has done.

People who go to church to worship God, probably find, because they are with others, they get a feeling of togetherness with others through their faith. They feel part of God's family. As individuals we all see God in a different way, but by worshipping together we become the same.

I can't remember the exact reason but according to my dad (30 years as a presbyterian minister and studied theology at union semenary) the act of worship is to our benefit not God's we have this strange idea that we have to do as God asks because it's good for him but he's eternal and all powerful, we can't make him better. We tend to try to fit God into our understanding and therefore make him small but we should be trying to expand our understanding. Also the principle that the work of salvation has already been done for us and all we have left is to be grateful, I don't know about anyone else but I feel that singing a few songs reading the bible and hearing a sermon once a week is not only good for me as a practising christian but it also seems like the least I could do to show my gratitude for what God has done.

This. I remember hearing a sermon about this.

No God doesn't need our worship because He created us, but it is for our benefit. I completely agree with you.

Its the least we could do for what He has done for us.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting myself back on track with God.

After around a month or so of kind of getting lazy with my faith I was challenged at youth group by the Youth Pastor. He challenged everyone to take a big step over the next 5 weeks while he is in the US. I felt that I really needed to do this, and accepted it. Got prayed for and got that oh so good feeling that I have missed! Got my "Spiritual Batteries" recharged as I like to say haha. Got a good feeling about the next 5 weeks to be honest, cant wait to see what God has in store for me!

One of the things was to make a commitment to go to church every Sunday, this is going to be a hard one as we are doing our final projects at school and are flat our busy for the next 7 weeks. But God will provide and I know I can make it!

And it couldn't have come at a better time than now! With all the crap that's happening at home!

God bless you all and I hope you have a wonderful week :D

• 2 months later...

God Doesn't need Us But is Amazing TO know how much he wants us!!

like Joe Said God gave us the freewill"

It is taking me a really long time to get closer to god I also Learned Another way to get Closer to god as well is to read the bible yes read it But Also think about it and dig a little bit into it and what the true meaning is!! and praying while reading it! and if we read it more and study it we learn more about how much God Has to Offer for us!

To me Christianity is also a life style as well it is by changing your ways for the good!!

I have Gotten so much Closer to God by Worshiping I Love Worshiping and singing to him it is One of The best ways I got Closer to him

but Prayer is Also one!!

I know this is kind of an old topic just throwing my Thoughs in lol even though im really late :P

Edited by sarahelizabeth

Thank you Sarah! Better late than never, no? I totally agree, reading the Bible is very important and praying is too. I always tell people to just PRAY because even though God already knows what you want, the whole idea is for you to just ASK. It's the effort it takes to do that that counts. Also, when we pray we can hear the holy spirit that will guide us.

As of recently I've been going to various Christian services, for example I went to a service on Friday night that was spanish evangelical, and that was super interesting cuz I'd never been to a service all in Spanish before. I usually go to a Congregationalist church during the summer, and during the school year I was blessed enough to have found a non-denominational church close to my school that a girl from Christian Fellowship also goes to. It's been quite an adventure. For me, it doesn't *matter* what denomination the church is as long as we worship God and feel good when we go.

One Year AT My Churches Rvivval we Had A spinsash women and the holy spirit got her good!! she was going around the room Speaking In TOuages and Prasing God to me thats just Inceriable it is Comofroting to know <3

I love Church Services!!

I really learned A lot in my church sence i been there for the past 5 years!!

but for me it is really tough to be "Christ like

when my family always tries to pull me away

Well, I realized that we have human thoughts and spiritual thoughts, and I really found comfort in the fact that the people who try to pull us away from God or bring us down are just humans, and if we have God, then who could stop us? Romans 8:31: "What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, then who can be against us?"

That REALLY helped me recently because I realized that if God is on my side, then no one can ever stop me because I have the Greatest Defender :D