2 replies to this topic

#1 Kim.

Kim.

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • Mood::Fearless.
  • LocationCamping out in a positive frame of mind.

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:06 PM

As most of you know, I'm a cycling nut. My passion for cycling grew from a memoir I read and the need for transportation (I have not yet gotten a vehicle).

Over the past two years I have looked through many brochures that offer various independent and group or special event tours. I never considered myself fit enough to do a long distance ride. All of that is changing this year. I now have a 42-mile (67-kilometre) cycling tour coming up in 14 days and it's scaring the crap outta me. It tours the five boroughs of New York City and crosses some of the most historic bridges between the boroughs.

I have had friends and former teachers who have toured even longer distances. My former orchestra teacher rode, through a non-profit organization, from Richmond, Virginia to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to spread awareness about affordable housing. That was about a 450-mile (724-kilometre) trip.

Any of you members fancy doing one? Even for your own entertainment or to test yourself and see how strong you are?

It's a totally different feeling to tour the country (whichever country you are in) by bicycle. You are more susceptible to the weather and elements, but you breathe in fresh air. And you can see sites for yourself. It's a thought that the only fuel you use is energy from your body.

I'm planning on doing a 5km run at the end of next month (after my first cycling tour) and I'm looking into another cycling tour for the month of June, touring Upstate New York's Hudson River Valley. I'd love to also bike the east coast of the US (which is an EPIC dream of mine) through the East Coast Greenway (paths that connect park roads), which runs from Maine to Florida and parallels the famous Route 1. I've heard the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia and North Carolina are gorgeous. ^_^
Posted Image

A BIG thanks to the beautiful BoMa, my big sister <3. I know I haven't been around much to talk, but you're more than amazing and I'm so happy to receive this graphic as a gift. Thanks for being so kind-hearted. ;)

Quotes Which Resonate with Me:
"There is no success without determination" -K.S., #24. RIP <3, 2009.
"I don't need any of you to approve of my decisions, I need ya'll to respect them" -Sandra Bullock in 'The Blind Side'.
"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstance. The people who get on in the world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." -George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright.

#2 i love emma

i love emma

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,997 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:39 AM

Wow, thats quite far.
I've always wanted to do a long distance ride but never really had the chance - the biggest i've ever done would probably be about 15 miles.

Good Luck :)

P
Posted Image
Emma Watson I Love You
Posted Image
Proud Member of The Earth House!
Earth house badge by Tom
Winner of boys award - Weirdest Member!

My Epic E-family:
Bigger Bro:The Dude Big Bro:Slash Lil Bro:Reznov Amazing Uncle:Dax Cool Cousins:Andrew, Michael, LoverBoy My blood-sister : Hymn

#3 Babba O'riley

Babba O'riley

• Water
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:10 PM

I...would honestly never be able to do that :P but that's good, you should be proud of yourself

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users