The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Homosexuality and Religion.

The majority of people think that choice is easy; you're either pro gay or against gay. For me, however, it's a really, really complicating subject and it's been bothering me for years now and i'd like to talk about it.

I'm gonna talk about my opinion for starters. From the one hand religion itself claims that homosexuality is a sin, because it's wrong according to the human nature and abnormal since the naturally correct thing is a man plus a woman. And frankly according to me it is "wrong" (-please forgive me for that statement members/supporters of the LGBT community, i don't want to sound offensive; it's just a personal opinion)

But on the other hand i keep thinking how's love ever a sin? I mean those people happened to love a person of the same gender. They hurt no one and they're being judged when all they want to do is declare their love. How can love be such a bad thing? And most important, how can some people who claim to believe in a God of understanding, kindness and love be so hard and insensitive towards their fellow human beings. Personally, when i see two gay people being together, for some reasons i feel more affectionate and i never judge them and i somehow support them. But then again i keep thinking, am i supporting the right thing? Then i just end up saying, well if homosexuality is indeed a sin, let God judge them. They don't meed me to do that. My duty is to be kind and understanding towards everyone. And that's what i'm trying to do. And then i keep thinking again, if it is indeed "wrong", instead of helping them out, i just support a wrong choice? It's driving me insane >.<

So, opinions on that matter?

Oh and one final thing; God does not hate homosexual people, and i get frustrated when i hear a person say that. God is love and justice and hates no one. I wouldn't possibly know how He judges, but i'm sure He hates no one and nothing.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not neither pro or against gay. But, for me, homosexuality is wrong (biologically and spiritually). The Bible tells us that homosexual activity is a sin:

For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. - Romans 1:26-27

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind. - 1 Corinthians 6:9

However, who am I to judge them?

But on the other hand i keep thinking how's love ever a sin?

Love is not a sin. But it's the fact to love something that makes you a sinner. I mean: Some people love to kill, some people "love" kids, some people love drugs, etc. But I know what you mean there.

Oh and one final thing; God does not hate homosexual people, and i get frustrated when i hear a person say that. God is love and justice and hates no one. I wouldn't possibly know how He judges, but i'm sure He hates no one and nothing.

Totally agree

I like your posts here, Dina ;D And, I post to little, it seems I don't know enough comparing to the rest haha

Oh my how do I approach this without offending anyone... Being religious and also being extremely critical towards the Bible I have to say I'm 100% pro gay. That there is even a discussion is just insane if you ask me. Love is love! But I think this is because the person who has influenced me most religiously is two gay men. One who wrote the two books about Jesus and God which made me religious in the first place.

The other is the priest who baptized me and is sort of part of our family (invited to big gatherings etc). Especially the latter, he's one of the most loving and extraordinary men I've ever met. He's been married to another man since before I was born.

What's also made me pro gay is how I was brought up, to love and respect everyone no matter their difference which is also the MAIN message both Jesus and God stands for. The preposterous idea that it would be a sin is something made-up by ignorant old men (and put in the Bible to spread hate) 2000 years ago. And not what Christianity (or any other religion) is about!

I assume you also know that even animals are gay, so this is not some human idea but part of nature.

<3 ALL FORMS OF SEXUALITY

Edited by Mrs Duck

Wow Dina! This is such a great topic and it too has been bothering me for some time. Personally, I am 100% pro gay rights, marriage, etc. I know gay marriage causes great controversy but I think civil unions are also good because it provides the couple with the chance to have all the benefits a married couple would get. But enough about that.

I feel that if God created gay people, then He loves them. I don't believe sexuality is a choice - people don't just wake up and say "gee, I want to be gay today. I want to be hated, discriminated against, and not have the same legal rights as heterosexual couples." I just don't think that happens. As Dina said, I think God loves everybody on this earth and it's not up to us to judge people - for anything. The Bible might have said that homosexuality was a sin, but it also said many other things were sins as well - getting tattoos, throwing around an inflated pigskin - a football - and many more. The Bible was created in a very strict time and although it's good to take guidelines from it, I don't think it's very relevant to modern society and that is why I take everything in it (with the exception of maybe the Passion, the Commandments, and the life of Jesus) with a grain of salt.

The bible and it's stories reflect the morals of the time and more importantly, the place and background where it's authors came from.

People should keep that in mind when contemplating what "god" has to say about homosexuality.

It is an interesting topic and one that also annoys me a lot.

What's also made me pro gay is how I was brought up, to love and respect everyone no matter their difference which is also the MAIN message both Jesus and God stands for. The preposterous idea that it would be a sin is something made-up by ignorant old men (and put in the Bible to spread hate) 2000 years ago. And not what Christianity (or any other religion) is about!

I assume you also know that even animals are gay, so this is not some human idea but part of nature.

Wow Dina! This is such a great topic and it too has been bothering me for some time. Personally, I am 100% pro gay rights, marriage, etc. I know gay marriage causes great controversy but I think civil unions are also good because it provides the couple with the chance to have all the benefits a married couple would get. But enough about that.

I feel that if God created gay people, then He loves them. I don't believe sexuality is a choice - people don't just wake up and say "gee, I want to be gay today. I want to be hated, discriminated against, and not have the same legal rights as heterosexual couples." I just don't think that happens. As Dina said, I think God loves everybody on this earth and it's not up to us to judge people - for anything. The Bible might have said that homosexuality was a sin, but it also said many other things were sins as well - getting tattoos, throwing around an inflated pigskin - a football - and many more. The Bible was created in a very strict time and although it's good to take guidelines from it, I don't think it's very relevant to modern society and that is why I take everything in it (with the exception of maybe the Passion, the Commandments, and the life of Jesus) with a grain of salt.

I couldn't agree more.

One of my uncles is gay. I know him my entire life, and now I even live with him in one place. He has a partner and they will move together this year, including me.

Animals are not gay, animals don't feel love.

I don't think you can say that. There is enough evidence that homosexuality exists elsewhere in the animal kingdom. Also: many birds for instance stay with their mate for their entire life.

haha you cant say that, one of my neighbours dogs is gay. The dog only wants to mate with males, so you cant say that without having any evidence backing it up. Animals feel love, of course they do.

As for the topic, I am pro gay and yes i might not be religious but as far as i am concerned how can any religious person who is a christian have such hatred towards a group of individuals?

they do not hurt anyone, and homosexuality is only a sin because it is written down in this bible, but who cares? if they are happy and arent bothering you, whats the point in moaning about it?

I like your posts here, Dina ;D And, I post to little, it seems I don't know enough comparing to the rest haha

Awee thanks <3 and don't feel like that, no one ever knows enough. Especially on religious/spiritual subjects. That's why it's nice sharing and reading everyone's special view!

no offense bt i dont knw what i think for 4 them...

It's not an offense at all. Many people, including myself, don't know what to think on complicating subjects lol so don't feel bad.

About that i had read an article in a newspaper saying that a male dog had gone with another male dog but simply because there were no other female dogs around and you know..hormones :P Later on they put him with a male and a female dog and he picked the female one.

My point is that i think animals can go gay, but as Will said, not based on "love". But i could be entirely wrong here. I am not an expert on these things lol

It's really interesting to see how the theme of being gay relates to the entirety of the animal kingdom. But Will is right, it isn't based on love like humans feel but animals being gay is present throughout different animals. Dolphins, for example, are an example of animals that can be gay (I wonder if it appears only in certain species, like dogs and birds as has been mentioned).

It's really interesting to see how the theme of being gay relates to the entirety of the animal kingdom. But Will is right, it isn't based on love like humans feel but animals being gay is present throughout different animals. Dolphins, for example, are an example of animals that can be gay (I wonder if it appears only in certain species, like dogs and birds as has been mentioned).

Like that Glee chick says,Dolphins are just gay sharks :D :D

Your sexuality isn't about love, it's about who your attracted too. Animals are sexually attracted to other animals ect. and so can be gay if they are only attracted to animals of the same sex.

My mums dog is personally only attracted to the blanket in his bed :unsure:

My views on homosexuality is that you don't choose your sexuality, my mum is gay and says she wouldn't have chosen to be gay but it's just the way she is, so do some other gay people I know. I also don't think homosexuality is a sin

I saw my mistake over there, but I meant with animals don't feel love that you can't use animals as an example of if the homosexuality is wrong or right. Plus, someone said that love is love and, based in this, how could homosexuality be bad then. Yes, it's a fact that animals have sex with another animals of same sex, but also they could "have sex" with some inanimated object. They do that due to their need to procreate and keep their species; no because they feel attached. Therefore, the "gay animals thing" is irrelevant in this topic.

Also: many birds for instance stay with their mate for their entire life.

Yeah, but gay mates? Or you're talking about animals and love?

Like that Glee chick says,Dolphins are just gay sharks

So, the sharks are homophobics? xD And plus, this is a gay shark? ;P

My views on homosexuality is that you don't choose your sexuality, my mum is gay and says she wouldn't have chosen to be gay but it's just the way she is, so do some other gay people I know. I also don't think homosexuality is a sin

Indeed, it's not a choice. But you're suggesting they were born gay? o.O

The bible and it's stories reflect the morals of the time and more importantly, the place and background where it's authors came from.

People should keep that in mind when contemplating what "god" has to say about homosexuality.

Very well said you two!

Um yes? Some people know their sexuality when they are really young while others discovers theirs much later. But most gay people sure are born that way, just like straight people are born straight.

You know, that is really difficult. Someone could be born gay, but there hasn't been the discovery of a gene yet. But I do think something clicks, whether it be when the person is really young, or a teenager (well, it could happen at any time really, but ultimately a light just kind of turns on, you know?). I've done a lot of research on homosexuality and I was reading an article about a potential gene but no one is really sure yet. I don't think that parents could have a lot to do with it - Ernest Hemingway's mother used to dress him in girl clothes (I don't know if the intent was to make him gay, though), and he turned out to be one of the most manly men ever. This doesn't really have to do with sexuality but I definitely think that although some parents might want their kids to turn out one way, they don't really have a choice, and neither does the kid - they just are who they are.

I didn't say they were born gay or suggest so, I said what I said ''It's not a choice'' which you have just agreed with, it doesn't matter whether they're born or whether it's environmental they can't help how they are, same as straight people can't help being straight.

However, personally I don't believe it's environmental as gay people come from all walks of life, people with pro or anti-gay parents can be gay, people from all over the world are gay. So yeah I would probably guess that they are born that way.

What you have to understand is it is something they have to get their heads round, people are normally brought up thinking that you should be attracted to the opposite sex, some people realize they aren't quite early on some don't. My mum says looking back she was always attracted to women, but she thought that she just admired them as she thought that lesbians were all butch women, which she isn't and the women she was attracted too weren't either. Surprisingly it turns out at least some of the women she liked are also gay (she's discovered this since coming out herself)

I didn't say they were born gay or suggest so, I said what I said ''It's not a choice'' which you have just agreed with, it doesn't matter whether they're born or whether it's environmental they can't help how they are, same as straight people can't help being straight.

However, personally I don't believe it's environmental as gay people come from all walks of life, people with pro or anti-gay parents can be gay, people from all over the world are gay. So yeah I would probably guess that they are born that way.

What you have to understand is it is something they have to get their heads round, people are normally brought up thinking that you should be attracted to the opposite sex, some people realize they aren't quite early on some don't. My mum says looking back she was always attracted to women, but she thought that she just admired them as she thought that lesbians were all butch women, which she isn't and the women she was attracted too weren't either. Surprisingly it turns out at least some of the women she liked are also gay (she's discovered this since coming out herself)

Just curious, and you don't have to answer this if you don't want to, but was it hard for you growing up? I mean, did other kids give you a hard time about having two mums instead of a mom and a dad?

Just curious, and you don't have to answer this if you don't want to, but was it hard for you growing up? I mean, did other kids give you a hard time about having two mums instead of a mom and a dad?

No, I had a great set of friends who knew about my mum. I was 11 when she came out though, so was old enough to understand. I don't know whether other kids at school knew about it, I'm guessing they did as I did have one friend who was funny about it. But I never had hassle at all.

My brother doesn't get any trouble either. He's younger then me, 18 this weekend.

The only time I got any hassle was at university one of my roommates was scared that I'd be a lesbian as well, which obviously is ridiculous, even if I was whats to be scared of. But that didn't bother me, I just thought she was a sad individual, she was at university, 18 years old-you'd expect her to know better.

Great topic! But what a hard topic as well.

In Judaism we take almost everything in the bible very literally. So in other words, yes in my religion it is considered a sin. The sin is not being gay, but acting upon it. However, I AM 100% pro gays in every single way possible. I have many gay friends and I am very supportive of gay marriage, adoption, ect. Does this cause a huge dilemma for me? Yes. Am I surrounded by hate? Yes, my own father is crazy homophobic... Do I love him less? No. Is he a bad person? No. I just can't believe that G-D would create gay people if it were a sin. Why would they exist if G-D hates them? It just doesn't make sense to me. I do believe that there is some other meaning or some part that we are missing in this debate. I just can't believe in a G-D who hates.

The main problem I have is that I don't understand why a God would have created homosexuality in the first place if he really thought it was such a terrible sin. I've become interested in religion recently and a lot of it does make sense to me, so I'm seriously wondering about converting to something, but I really can't get my head around that. Also, I'm bisexual so I was wondering- what happens if you're religious and bisexual? Do you have to think half of yourself is wrong and sinful, or is there a way around that?

Sorry if I sound ignorant but I genuinely don't know how this works and I don't know anybody religious to ask things like this. I've been brought up atheist to the point that we've never even really talked about religion, and the whole do-you-have-to-think-homosexuality/bisexuality-is-wrong thing is actually the main stumbling block for me because I really don't want to have to think that.

I hope nobody minds me asking!

The main problem I have is that I don't understand why a God would have created homosexuality in the first place if he really thought it was such a terrible sin.

God didn't create homosexuality ;O

I take homosexuality the same way I do other things I done agree with like being apart of another religion, political differences, differences in ideas of smoking drinking ect. I don't agree with it, and nothing will change that part of me but I don't allow for it to change my perception of the person. I still love them as I would all my other friends or family we would just agree to disagree. Does that makes sense?

Anyways what God has to say about it is that homosexuality is wrong, no if ands or buts around it. But so are things that everyone does no matter what their orientation such as lying or stealing ect. And God views all sin as equal so in Gods eyes we are no better than each other. We are all sinners we all have sins that we struggle with and we will all die still sinning on a regular basis. But when Jesus was sent to die on the cross he died for everyones sins including homosexuals sins because he loves us. So while God may say that homosexuality is wrong it doesn't mean that he hates all gay people. I feel that this idea has been screwed with too much by both Christians and non-Christians alike. As Christians we are called to love all, and encourage all in the way of Christ. Sometimes because Christians are sinners as well some are well jerks when it comes to different things and it annoys me as much as it annoys the next person because that is not following in Jesus' example at all. We are told not to judge others and to keep ourselves pure and leave all the judgement to God. I'm sorry if any Christian has ever hurt you or someone you know based on sexual orientation, I just hope you will realize that is was the Christian who was in the wrong and acting like that is not following the Bible.