The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Homosexuality and Religion.

I thought he was supposed to have created everything? Wouldn't homosexuality come under everything?

Hmmm just imagine that you created a plain, then someone does a hole in there; did you create the hole? Homosexuality is wrong front of God, therefore it's a sin; God didn't create the sin, because such thing it's a "hole". Make sense?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if I sound ignorant but I genuinely don't know how this works and I don't know anybody religious to ask things like this.

Don't ever say you're ignorant again lol No one of us knows how any of this really works. The fact that you're wondering about it and you want to express your opinion and listen to others is a good thing. I really can't answer your question in a satisfying way though because i have the same questions myself.

The main problem I have is that I don't understand why a God would have created homosexuality in the first place if he really thought it was such a terrible sin.

I don't know why would God create homosexuals if it's a sin. But you see lot of people oppose to the common discussion that gays are actually born gays. They say we all born straight as it's the "right" and "normal" thing. And somewhere in the way some people get lost or confused or corrupted by the evil. It's not God's choice, He didn't make you like this; it's humans' choice. But who we are to determine if that opinion^ is true. Many people support so many different opinions.

I don't think it's right for us to speak for God. When people say, I know that God says this, He wants it this way - I say, I don't think we can't even begin to comprehend what God would want if He is so big. We definitely can't put words in His mouth so to speak; He is just so big and all knowing I don't think it's up to us to decide. You know? I could have phrased that better probably, but I'm exhauuuuusted.

Hmmm just imagine that you created a plain, then someone does a hole in there; did you create the hole? Homosexuality is wrong front of God, therefore it's a sin; God didn't create the sin, because such thing it's a "hole". Make sense?

If your god is all-knowing, he knew from the beginning what every being he created would ever do and what this being would be like; so he even knew about every "hole" that would be doug into every plain he created, right?

The majority of people think that choice is easy; you're either pro gay or against gay. For me, however, it's a really, really complicating subject and it's been bothering me for years now and i'd like to talk about it.

I'm gonna talk about my opinion for starters. From the one hand religion itself claims that homosexuality is a sin, because it's wrong according to the human nature and abnormal since the naturally correct thing is a man plus a woman. And frankly according to me it is "wrong" (-please forgive me for that statement members/supporters of the LGBT community, i don't want to sound offensive; it's just a personal opinion)

But on the other hand i keep thinking how's love ever a sin? I mean those people happened to love a person of the same gender. They hurt no one and they're being judged when all they want to do is declare their love. How can love be such a bad thing? And most important, how can some people who claim to believe in a God of understanding, kindness and love be so hard and insensitive towards their fellow human beings. Personally, when i see two gay people being together, for some reasons i feel more affectionate and i never judge them and i somehow support them. But then again i keep thinking, am i supporting the right thing? Then i just end up saying, well if homosexuality is indeed a sin, let God judge them. They don't meed me to do that. My duty is to be kind and understanding towards everyone. And that's what i'm trying to do. And then i keep thinking again, if it is indeed "wrong", instead of helping them out, i just support a wrong choice? It's driving me insane >.<

So, opinions on that matter?

Oh and one final thing; God does not hate homosexual people, and i get frustrated when i hear a person say that. God is love and justice and hates no one. I wouldn't possibly know how He judges, but i'm sure He hates no one and nothing.

im not sure now, are you "against" gays because of your religion or is it a personal opinion?

Great topic! But what a hard topic as well.

In Judaism we take almost everything in the bible very literally. So in other words, yes in my religion it is considered a sin. The sin is not being gay, but acting upon it. However, I AM 100% pro gays in every single way possible. I have many gay friends and I am very supportive of gay marriage, adoption, ect. Does this cause a huge dilemma for me? Yes. Am I surrounded by hate? Yes, my own father is crazy homophobic... Do I love him less? No. Is he a bad person? No. I just can't believe that G-D would create gay people if it were a sin. Why would they exist if G-D hates them? It just doesn't make sense to me. I do believe that there is some other meaning or some part that we are missing in this debate. I just can't believe in a G-D who hates.

does that mean, if god doesnt hate gays, that he also doesnt hate murderers and stuff?

(lol i really dont wanna compare gays to murderes but if you think that god created the gay that would mean he also created the murderes. cause he created everyone. but if gayness isnt a sin (since god created it, - is murder also not a sin?)

Im pro gay btw.

^^^^I don't think you can compare being gay, to being a murderer and taking someones life.

Being gay is seen a a sin by the church, but I'm sure God would see that as a lesser sin than killing somebody.

If you are gay and you are in a loving relationship with your partner, I can't see a problem with that.

Killing another person in cold blood, you deserve whatever punishement is given to you !

If your god is all-knowing, he knew from the beginning what every being he created would ever do and what this being would be like; so he even knew about every "hole" that would be doug into every plain he created, right?

Yeah, what are you suggesting? He should not create us in first instance? He should be like a dictator by no allowing us the free will? xD

The "hole" thing, I meant: The plain is the good, and the bad is the hole, trying to explain that God doesn't create the bad, because it's not something but lack of something, make sence? ;B

does that mean, if god doesnt hate gays, that he also doesnt hate murderers and stuff?

I don't think He hates murderers and stuff, He can't feel hate.

Edited by Will

im not sure now, are you "against" gays because of your religion or is it a personal opinion?

(lol i really dont wanna compare gays to murderes but if you think that god created the gay that would mean he also created the murderes. cause he created everyone. but if gayness isnt a sin (since god created it, - is murder also not a sin?)

Im pro gay btw.

Interesting point. I do understand it, but I do have to disagree. Mainly because I believe that it is not a sin to be gay, but it is to be a murderer ect. So I completely disagree with your logic because your two points are not connected on any way shape or form. Wat does being a murderer have anything to do with be being gay? They are not the dame thing. I will even take re

Igion out of the equation. Society tells us that murdering is wrong. Society doesn't tell us that being gay is wrong. (yes that can be argued, but my soceity is pro gay). Therefore, murder is a sin. Being gay is not. The two are not connected at all.

And no G-D did not create murderers because we have free will. Murders chose to murder, G-D doesn't make them murder. I am believe that being gay is not something you choose, therefore G-D created gays. Why would G-D create a sin? Of course, if you believe that being gay is a choice you will disagree with my point.

Nope I'm definitely not against gay. But i don't know if i'm entirely pro gay. I'm definitely pro love and freedom of love and I'm all for gays getting married. It's just that according to my religion, being gay is a sin and i shouldn't support it. And i have heard so many different opinions as to why homosexuality is wrong/right that sometimes i get really confused. That's why all this is so complicating to me.

Im pro gay btw.

^^^^I don't think you can compare being gay, to being a murderer and taking someones life.

Being gay is seen a a sin by the church, but I'm sure God would see that as a lesser sin than killing somebody.

read my post

Interesting point. I do understand it, but I do have to disagree. Mainly because I believe that it is not a sin to be gay, but it is to be a murderer ect. So I completely disagree with your logic because your two points are not connected on any way shape or form. Wat does being a murderer have anything to do with be being gay? They are not the dame thing. I will even take re

Igion out of the equation. Society tells us that murdering is wrong. Society doesn't tell us that being gay is wrong. (yes that can be argued, but my soceity is pro gay). Therefore, murder is a sin. Being gay is not. The two are not connected at all.

And no G-D did not create murderers because we have free will. Murders chose to murder, G-D doesn't make them murder. I am believe that being gay is not something you choose, therefore G-D created gays. Why would G-D create a sin? Of course, if you believe that being gay is a choice you will disagree with my point.

they have nothing to do with each other, thats completely true.

and i agree with you now,

god gave us free will, thats it.

and noo, being gay hardly is a choice, you are born gay if you ask me.

i now understand your point of view.. wasnt clear to me at first :)

Nope I'm definitely not against gay. But i don't know if i'm entirely pro gay. I'm definitely pro love and freedom of love and I'm all for gays getting married. It's just that according to my religion, being gay is a sin and i shouldn't support it. And i have heard so many different opinions as to why homosexuality is wrong/right that sometimes i get really confused. That's why all this is so complicating to me.

aw okay, i get it now :) just wanted to make sure i understand you right.

whats your.. religion? what exactly are you following?

im protestant and i woulndt consider my church as contra gay.

The problem is if people be born gay or not. There's no proof to say somebody was born gay. Scientifics want to figure this out, but I really doubt they will. It's not something you can choose, but it's something you get through the time, due to several factors: biological, social, emotional, etc. Plus, some scientifics claim that the murderers were born like that, if that's true they're not sinner neither. That's what I think

The problem is if people be born gay or not. There's no proof to say somebody was born gay. Scientifics want to figure this out, but I really doubt they will. It's not something you can choose, but it's something you get through the time, due to several factors: biological, social, emotional, etc. Plus, some scientifics claim that the murderers were born like that, if that's true they're not sinner neither. That's what I think

yeah, I read an article about the discovering about a "gay" gene, but it still hasn't been proven. One thing is for sure though, I definitely don't think parents can affect the choice or the leaning or whatever. I think a lot of people have issues with gay parents adopting because "the kids will turn out gay". 1.)SO??? 2.)Um, not necessarily. Actually, a lot of kids of gay parents turn out straight, just like any other kid. It can't be influenced one way or another by the parents, it is something internal.

I don't think it's right for us to speak for God. When people say, I know that God says this, He wants it this way - I say, I don't think we can't even begin to comprehend what God would want if He is so big. We definitely can't put words in His mouth so to speak; He is just so big and all knowing I don't think it's up to us to decide. You know? I could have phrased that better probably, but I'm exhauuuuusted.

So agree with you there. Has anyone actually spoken to God and heard him say that gay is wrong? No! I repeat myself by saying that old men 2000 years ago thought gay was wrong and so wrote texts or made up stories that eventually turned up in the Bible. Have some source criticism people! If you believe in your heart that homosexuality is wrong, I can respect that, but if it's because God (the Bible) "says" it's wrong, I really can't buy it.

Edited by Mrs Duck
  • 1 month later...

Just wanted to raise a question to all of you saying that God wouldn't create gays if he hated them. If you believe that God is the creator of All, then he created gays. It also means he created "sins" and "evil" and "illness" and "diseases" and "bad luck" and "satan". The world is full of good and bad. God hates evil.. and sins.. and all that, yet it exists? Why does it exist then? You cannot base your theories upon the statement that God would not create that which he dislikes. It just doesn't make sense and is totally illogical.

As for homosexuality... i'm not gay. But if someone wants to be gay, who cares? I believe in freedom of right. Everyone can express themselves in whatever way they feel appropriate. It's not affecting me so whatever. There's more important issues to be focusing on than hating. Which is just what people LOVE. Whether its hating on gays, lesbians, particular religions or beliefs, "oversize" people, goths.. you name it. Who CARES. Go live your life and stop judging others on theirs because if you're religious and you believe in God, then you will also believe in the afterlife or judgement day or whatever you call it. And in THAT day.. He will decide who done what and what was wrong and who goes there. And trust me. When it comes to that, you'll probably be too worried about all the stuff you've done in your life, so imo people should worry about themselves, try and be good, and let everyone else be.

• 3 weeks later...

god is supposed to be omniscient, so surely he/she would have known that the hole would've been made, the same with homosexuality, right?

Edited by Reznov
  • 2 weeks later...

I found this on the internet, it's old but a translate of this letter was written in Swedish to the priests of objected against gay marriage here.

I think the writer is right, because if you take one thing from the Bible and say it's right, than why not all of it? I have nothing against homosexuals and I can't see why God would either.

But I do find this letter both funny and worth considering.

Dear President Bush:

11/26/04 "ICH" -- Congratulations on your election victory and for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from you and understand why you would propose and support a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage. As you said, "in the eyes of God marriage is based between a man a woman." I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18.22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

However, I do need some advice from you regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how best to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25.44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not to Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21.7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanness (Leviticus15.19-24). The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord. (Leviticus 1.9) The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35.2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Leviticus11.10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there degrees of abomination?

7. Leviticus.21.20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Leviticus19.27. How should they die?

9. I know from Leviticus 11.6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean. May I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Leviticus 19.19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Leviticus 24.10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, as we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Leviticus 20.14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Yours truly,

An Inquiring Supporter

P.S. I look forward to your answers because there are a number of other issues that I'd like to get settled as soon as you've enlightened me on these ... Thanks again

First of all I would like to mention that I'm Muslim so that's mean ofc I'm against gay!

And for the people who said " god create homosexuality" people god didn't create homosexuality ok We all did born in this world like an innocent kids we didn't born homosexuality , that thing the people their self chose to be homosexuality or no As the emo,punk,...etc

They all did born like this? No and most of us refuse those people cuz what they do is against nature right? And being a homosexuality according to me is a sin cuz it's against nature really! And people who do say god like homosexuality and how can god hate seriously people non of us have the right to say something like this and if you were a truly religious you would follow your religion in everything and don't judge for something like this and again god didn't create homosexuality!

First of all I would like to mention that I'm Muslim so that's mean ofc I'm against gay! And for the people who said " god create homosexuality" people god didn't create homosexuality ok We all did born in this world like an innocent kids we didn't born homosexuality , that thing the people their self chose to be homosexuality or no As the emo,punk,...etc

They all did born like this? No and most of us refuse those people cuz what they do is against nature right? And being a homosexuality according to me is a sin cuz it's against nature really! And people who do say god like homosexuality and how can god hate seriously people non of us have the right to say something like this and if you were a truly religious you would follow your religion in everything and don't judge for something like this and again god didn't create homosexuality!

I'm just gonna jump in here and say something...I wasn't raised or baptised Muslim, but I have read the Qu'ran (and other holy scriptures) as much as I read the Bible. I even discussed about this argument with other Muslims (most of them gay Muslims) and there were two Muslims that used to come to this forum. Most of them agreed that homosexuality is not a sin.

The Quran does not teach any one to condemn gay people, it is the patriarchal culture of most Muslim societies that teach people to condemn gay people. To say that all homosexuals are going to hell is incredibly cruel of Allah because it was He who created them. In the Quran Allah actually acknowledges that not all men are attracted to women. Consider the verse (24:31). It talks about whom a woman is to cover her self in front of, and who she can expose her self to. The latter group includes her husband, father and even male servants who are not attracted to women. Doesn't that make that servant a gay man?

Honestly speaking, why would any one choose to be gay? When it puts them in risk for being killed and losing the ones they love the most. To say that homosexuality is a direct result of the environment, is also baseless. If you haven't noticed, most of us live in hetero normative societies. Where all you see on TV, and Billboards are straight couples. This is especially true in Muslim societies, like my friend who grew up in Pakistan. Yet in those societies, you still have homosexuals. So how do you explain that?

Yes couples of opposite gender might be able to reproduce, but isn't that also true that not all pairs of opposite sex can reproduce. Does the criteria for marrying some one has to be for reproduction? When even amongst heterosexuals, not all marriages lead to children. So unless people are going to argue against the marriage of infertile couples and post menopausal women, I don't believe it can be used against same-sex couples.

Next argument is about "parts not fitting". I find this assumption really absurd. Why do people assume that anal sex is the only way to have sex between men? Not every gay couple takes part in anal sex. Even then, it is absurd to say the parts don't fit. Consider this, the prostate is the male g-spot. And it is located at the perfect position inside the body where it can be stimulated by another man's penis when penetrated by the rectum. So structurally speaking, that does not hold true, the parts do fit. Now you will say, but anal-sex is not allowed. Well it depends on which scholar you ask, some say anal sex is ok, others say it is not.

One of the answerer above mentioned how a man who lusts after another woman, is recommended to fulfill his desires with his wife. But for a gay man that is not possible. His desires are not geared towards women, so he can't fulfill his sexual desires with a woman. In Islam, sexual satisfaction is considered important. It is even mentioned in the Quran that it is a blessing by Allah.

"And one of His signs is that He created mates for you from yourselves that you may find rest in them, and He put between you love and compassion; most surely there are signs in this for a people who reflect." (30:21)

The above verse does not necessarily say that the every one's mate is of the opposite sex.

Allah does not punish any one unnecessarily. Celibacy is not considered a virtue in Islam. So to say that a gay man or a lesbian woman should remain celibate for Allah, is actually going against Allah. Allah has blessed us all with perfect mates, and to deny someone from being with their perfect mate is actually going against Allah's will.

And homosexuality is against nature? Over 1,500 specials of animals exhibit homosexual behavior. ;)

Edited by Bagel of Death

Your sexual preferences are your choice, I don't think God would care if you were gay/lesbian. He just wants you to live a Christian life. Just because someone is different to you, does not make them a bad person/sinner. I'm sure there are many gay people in this world who have a strong faith in God.

I'm just gonna jump in here and say something...I wasn't raised or baptised Muslim, but I have read the Qu'ran (and other holy scriptures) as much as I read the Bible. I even discussed about this argument with other Muslims (most of them gay Muslims) and there were two Muslims that used to come to this forum. Most of them agreed that homosexuality is not a sin.

The Quran does not teach any one to condemn gay people, it is the patriarchal culture of most Muslim societies that teach people to condemn gay people. To say that all homosexuals are going to hell is incredibly cruel of Allah because it was He who created them. In the Quran Allah actually acknowledges that not all men are attracted to women. Consider the verse (24:31). It talks about whom a woman is to cover her self in front of, and who she can expose her self to. The latter group includes her husband, father and even male servants who are not attracted to women. Doesn't that make that servant a gay man?

Honestly speaking, why would any one choose to be gay? When it puts them in risk for being killed and losing the ones they love the most. To say that homosexuality is a direct result of the environment, is also baseless. If you haven't noticed, most of us live in hetero normative societies. Where all you see on TV, and Billboards are straight couples. This is especially true in Muslim societies, like my friend who grew up in Pakistan. Yet in those societies, you still have homosexuals. So how do you explain that?

Yes couples of opposite gender might be able to reproduce, but isn't that also true that not all pairs of opposite sex can reproduce. Does the criteria for marrying some one has to be for reproduction? When even amongst heterosexuals, not all marriages lead to children. So unless people are going to argue against the marriage of infertile couples and post menopausal women, I don't believe it can be used against same-sex couples.

Next argument is about "parts not fitting". I find this assumption really absurd. Why do people assume that anal sex is the only way to have sex between men? Not every gay couple takes part in anal sex. Even then, it is absurd to say the parts don't fit. Consider this, the prostate is the male g-spot. And it is located at the perfect position inside the body where it can be stimulated by another man's penis when penetrated by the rectum. So structurally speaking, that does not hold true, the parts do fit. Now you will say, but anal-sex is not allowed. Well it depends on which scholar you ask, some say anal sex is ok, others say it is not.

One of the answerer above mentioned how a man who lusts after another woman, is recommended to fulfill his desires with his wife. But for a gay man that is not possible. His desires are not geared towards women, so he can't fulfill his sexual desires with a woman. In Islam, sexual satisfaction is considered important. It is even mentioned in the Quran that it is a blessing by Allah.

"And one of His signs is that He created mates for you from yourselves that you may find rest in them, and He put between you love and compassion; most surely there are signs in this for a people who reflect." (30:21)

The above verse does not necessarily say that the every one's mate is of the opposite sex.

Allah does not punish any one unnecessarily. Celibacy is not considered a virtue in Islam. So to say that a gay man or a lesbian woman should remain celibate for Allah, is actually going against Allah. Allah has blessed us all with perfect mates, and to deny someone from being with their perfect mate is actually going against Allah's will.

And homosexuality is against nature? Over 1,500 specials of animals exhibit homosexual behavior. ;)

As I see u know pretty much about Islam but I'm sure u dont know this part I've took that topic from other Arabic forum check that and you will know if ur Muslim gay friend know Islam very well or no dear!

About homosexuality

^

Your link doesn't work for me. :doh:

Anyway, I stumbled upon the video below. It's pretty nice. :)

He even has his own organization where he tells other homosexual Muslims that their sexuality is ok and allowed in Islam because God wouldn't judge someone he made that way and that everyone deserves to love, even if it is same-sex, and getting others to accept homosexual Muslims and homosexuality as a whole. That it is a natural tendency for some people just as it is natural for straight people.

He even had several debates with Imaams and other Muslims painting out his view and getting them to accept that homosexuality and Muslim homosexuality is ok and acceptable providing his own interpretation of the Qur'an.

Dreamzy, honestly speaking...do you think any gay Muslim should be condemned just for being gay? Even though they pray every day, take part in Ramadan, doesn't drink, doesn't eat pork, doesn't kill, etc.

Dear I'm just Telling you that from a Muslim point of view and I'm one of the people who against homosexuality cuz first they are against nature as I said before and there is a really quranic verse about that if u read Quran you will know it ( ma English not perfect to translate that quranic verse I'm Srry) And really if u ask a real religious Muslim not gay about homosexuality in Islam you will find that it's a sin!

The trouble with religions today, whether they be Christian/ Muslim, or whatever, is that they can be so divisive. We don't want/like Gays, Women Priests, and so on. I know religion is based on Ancient Scriptures that have been passed down for centuries, but like everything else, religion must move with the times. Surely a bit of tolerance could be shown nowadays.

I'm sure changes could be made without weakening the main structure of a religion. To exclude certain people from a religion seems wrong to me.