The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Lily Potter's love triangle

Who do you ship? Many people started to ship Severus and Lily during/after Deathly Hallows... James and Lily made the perfect couple though. I think I mainly ship James/Lily but Severus' love for Lily is heartbreaking :( So I ship them nearly as much.

It is such a tragedy what Severus went through his whole life and how complex his character became because of Lily. He lost the love of his life, so I actually feel bad for him and I would have loved ( in an alternative universe ;) ) to see them together. Of course James and Lily made Harry and were his beloved parents, but James never did it for me, so I prefer S/L !!

What an interesting question!! Wow that is kind of hard to answer too and I used to think easy answer....Snape obviously loved Lily very much, so much that he was willing to protect her son. I still to this day am shocked as to who Snape turned out to be. But I would say James/Lily. James may have been a shmuck but he clearly loved Lily very much (as did she him) and Harry. I am dying to see Snape's story in DH!

There was no love triangle w/Lily, James and Snape, that's all fan made stuff. And there's no evidence whatsoever that she had romantic feelings for Snape.

(Similarly, I find romanticizing Snape's feelings for Lily weird... they were unrequited, obsessive and quite disturbing in the end.. quite far from romantic)

I absolutely love the Snape/Lily plotline and I think it would have been very interesting if they'd got together, although I'm not sure how well they work as a pairing.

However, I find it quite sad that James' character and his relationship with Lily seem to have suffered a little (at least for me) due to his treatment of Snape. I was really glad we got to read Lily's letter in DH to give us an insight into J/L's life, because after the whole plot in OOTP where Harry discovered his father's flaws, we haven't really seen much of James to redeem him for those flaws. I love the character of James that we are able to glean from other characters' memories, but it would have been nice IMO to have seen more of his later life and relationship with Lily to counteract any sympathies we may have built up towards S/L since we know a lot more, both good and bad, about Snape's character and their relationship.

If JK ever wrote any prequels or included something in the Encyclopedia, this is an area I'd be really interested to read more about.

Great question Kimberley! It's weird but I kind of ship the unrequitted aspect of Lilly/Snape's relationship... after all that's what came to define Snape's character. He would have been a completely different person (and I don't believe quite so sympathetic) if he had ended up with Lilly. Severus learned important lessons about love from being deprived of that love. Right after Ron and Harry, Severus is my favorite character. TBH, one of the things I like best about his character is that he is an admiralbe Slytherin, and we see a number of his Slytherin characteristics portrayed throughout the books. We hear that Harry possesses the potential to be a Slytherin throughout the series but he chose Gryffindor. I can't help but think that Severus possessed many of the characteristics of a Gryffindor, but he chose Slytherin. :yesyes:

Snape's love for Lily is obviously heartbreaking but I go for James/Lily. He had to have matured enough for Lily to love him back. They did love each other. They married and had a kid. I look at their relationship in book one, not the past when James was a jerk. Lily was smart, she would not have married James if she didn't love him. So yes, James/Lily for me. But Severus' story is amazing. He was just too late.

• 2 months later...

Firstly, the moment in Jade's signature is probably my favourite shot of the entire series.

Secondly, I LOVED Snape in DH. Alan Rickman is simply amazing, and I am so grateful that Snape's story was kept in, in almost as much detail as the books, where possible.

The Prince's Tale was my favourite chapter of the series and for me it was the most crucial part of the last film that WB HAD to get right, and my goodness did they succeed. I couldn't be happier.

How about you guys?

Firstly, the moment in Jade's signature is probably my favourite shot of the entire series.

Secondly, I LOVED Snape in DH. Alan Rickman is simply amazing, and I am so grateful that Snape's story was kept in, in almost as much detail as the books, where possible.

The Prince's Tale was my favourite chapter of the series and for me it was the most crucial part of the last film that WB HAD to get right, and my goodness did they succeed. I couldn't be happier.

How about you guys?

Aww thank you. :P

I have to admit, I am more of a Snape/Lily shipper but that's because we haven't seen enough James and Lily. I know James is made out to be a badden but I think deep down he was a very nice man otherwise Lily wouldn't have been with him. I feel very sorry for Snape though. :/

Aww thank you. :P

I have to admit, I am more of a Snape/Lily shipper but that's because we haven't seen enough James and Lily. I know James is made out to be a badden but I think deep down he was a very nice man otherwise Lily wouldn't have been with him. I feel very sorry for Snape though. :/

You've taken word-for-word straight out of my mouth. Seriously, I must agree with this. And that moment, from your previous signature, I cried whilst in theatre because it broke my heart dearly.