The Emma-Watson.net Forum

To everyone who celebrates it on here, I wish a very Holy and Blessed Good Friday to you all!

This morning I went to a lovely sunrise worship service bright and early - 6:30am, and although I was sooo tired, it was so worth it to go! (Plus, I got peanut M&M's) It was much more relaxed than a Catholic Mass; we sang a few worship songs that I am still learning the lyrics to, and then one of the kids spoke about why Good Friday was actually "Good". We went through Jesus' day, starting at about 12am and ending when He was cruficied - and we came to the conclusion that Good Friday was "Good" because today is the day that Jesus died to save us and at 3pm when he was crucified on the cross at Calvary he said "it is finished": Sin. He didn't say that on Sunday when He rose again, but today.

For those of you who do not know about Good Friday, it is the most solemn day in the Catholic church and most other christian religions. For those of you who have seen The Passion of the Christ, that puts it in pretty good perspective. The visuals are exceptionally important, I think. It was the day when he walked to Golgotha (The place of the skull) and was crucified to save us from sin. This is just the short summary, but I am really tired, haha.

Today, for me, it is a day of fasting (small meals/no snacks/NO MEAT) and prayer. I went to the worship service this morning and this evening when I come home from school I'm going to a service in Boston at a new church, which I am very excited about.

For those of you who celebrate it, what are your Good Friday plans?

What do you think about Good Friday?

Why would you consider today to be "good"?

For those of you who do not celebrate it, any questions?

What do you think?

Have a Blessed Good Friday Karen!! Such a melancholic and sad day today. Although it's almost over here. Watching The Passion of Christ is a must today. My heart hurts every time i watch it >.<

Normally we go to the Church in the morning, where we hear those wonderful psalms and we worship Christ on the Cross in the Church - i can't show you how it is cuz i am not allowed to take pictures. But the whole atmosphere and the mournful (?) sound of the bells is just beyond words. At night we go there again, and after that we all form a huge line and we walk around the neighbourhood with the Epitaph. Each of us is holding a candle. And the priests are holding the Cross, the Epitaph and they chant. And people who don't attend, are just out in their balconies holding candles too. Here are some quick and lame pictures lol:

Aside from that we fast. Not even oil is permitted today. I've personally eaten some bread all day. Tomorrow is the Holy Communion so fasting and confession are necessary.

Have a Blessed Good Friday Karen!! Such a melancholic and sad day today. Although it's almost over here. Watching The Passion of Christ is a must today. My heart hurts every time i watch it >.<

Normally we go to the Church in the morning, where we hear those wonderful psalms and we worship Christ on the Cross in the Church - i can't show you how it is cuz i am not allowed to take pictures. But the whole atmosphere and the mournful (?) sound of the bells is just beyond words. At night we go there again, and after that we all form a huge line and we walk around the neighbourhood with the Epitaph. Each of us is holding a candle. And the priests are holding the Cross, the Epitaph and they chant. And people who don't attend, are just out in their balconies holding candles too. Here are some quick and lame pictures lol:

Aside from that we fast. Not even oil is permitted today. I've personally eaten some bread all day. Tomorrow is the Holy Communion so fasting and confession are necessary.

That is super intense dina! I loved the pictures, they were very cool! It's great to get a snapshot into someone else's culture and how they celebrate. I didn't get to watch the passion of the christ today, but i have for the past 2 years and it never gets any better! So sad. I went to a service this evening and it was very, how do i put it, well it was different first of all because it wasn't my normal church service. It was poignant, I think that is the right word.

• 12 years later...