The Emma-Watson.net Forum

If some of you don't know I am the Only Person in my family That Goes to my church.. And I am not sure but Does anyone on here

How tough it is to try to get close to Jesus and be a Christin when you got your family stopping you for doing what you love the most??

I have no idea Why but Jesus Told me to put this out there..

I Am telling you If you ever Come to a part in your life.. Were your the only person in your family that goes to church .. IT is one of the hardest things I EVER did in my life and i feel like it makes me a VERY strong person. IT makes me cry a lot because I Am not going Force My Sisters,Mom, Grandparents to be Christin but it upsets me that i got no one to support me or to help me..

I had a Big Drama Play WE did For Easter and I hate how my grandparents stay home and always miss out..

I told my Grandma "You should of come you would of seen it for yourself"

It really stinks that i try to be a good Kid when my grandparents Swear and Always yelling and screaming I have no idea what to do sometime I cry all the time i feel sad all the time because I try so hard to get Closer to Jesus.. but my grandparents try to pull me away sometimes my grandpa Tells me..

"Your Getting brained washed to be a Christin.. and Etc."

he tells me there no Jesus and you know I tend to believe the opposite he is the most amazing thing ever..and MY HEART Knows he is real

but I just had to get this to out to people.. that is why Sometimes when i come on here I Feel bummed lost.. upset because I really don't like how i am the Only Christin that goes to church in my family it really hurts me

Edited by harrypotternerd

It is sad to hear that your family doesn´t support you and your belief. It is very unusual to me that you are the only one in your family who goes to church because mostly the family encourages its members to go and so the children are introduced to their religion and the church. How did you get involved into your church so much if I may ask?

Don´t let them take you down, I think it is great that you do what you believe in, no one can take that away from you. It is probably very frustrating that your family is not interested in what you do and what you believe in, but I find it admirable that you continue to go your way.

One Day when i was 8 years old the Lady that lives Ac-cross the Street from me.. she Invited me and my sister to this Picnic and We were like Sure we are only 8 and 9 when we went and every sense that day I always went to that Church no my sister does not go to church anymore..

awwh and thanks rose.. it is really hard for me.. you wouldn't even believe it

I also never really though church was for me but one day I went.. and I seen people do dramas and sing and stuff and i was always like I WANNA DO THAT!!! when i was younger i didn't really know anything but from ages 8-11 i went then i got lost came back when i was 15.. and got saved.. and i been going there for 3 years.. at first i didn't like church but now i love it more and more and more.. every time i go back

This is a very interesting problem you have here, Sarah, and I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to share.

I can see your grandparent's concern that you are being "brainwashed" - but there is definitely a line in believing in God and then believing EVERYTHING that is told to you. There are plenty of radical people out there that kill and do things in the name of God that are obviously not good, but I can tell that you are NOT one of them.

It's really sad to me that your family doesn't support your choice but you know, if you know Jesus in your heart and your soul, then that is all that matters. With Him, you can do anything.

I know how you feel though, but kind of on the opposite side. I was raised religious, and I question the existence of God sometimes, I doubt every so often, but now I am really trying to find my faith. It may not be in the Catholic religion, which is what I was raised in, and my Uncle Mike and my Gram disapprove of that SO much. They think that Catholicism is the only way to salvation and God. I know that in my heart, that is obviously not true. In my MIND I know that is not true. It is sad to me that some of my family members don't support my decision to possibly convert (although I haven't told them all, for fear of World War Three), because it seems like family members should be supportive of decisions no matter what.

Sarah, do what makes you feel good on the inside. Do what you love, and do what your heart feels is right. You will never, EVER go wrong that way. And remember, you are never alone, even though some days it might seem like it.

everyday it seems like i am all alone it Really is a bad feeling going to church and you have no family to go..I am crying now just thinking about it I am glad I WRote a Post about this. it kills me like it hurts my heart.. because they are missing out on something great.. I always tell my youth pastor it is about 30 times harder for me to get closer b.c My family isn't saved and the worst part is my mom Says She rather have me be a Drinker then a Christin that is very messed up

I been holding this in for So Long when People Look at me some people say "you look like a little perfect girl" Nah I am far from perfect

"Your Getting brained washed to be a Christin.. and Etc."

he tells me there no Jesus and you know I tend to believe the opposite he is the most amazing thing ever..and MY HEART Knows he is real

They don't have the right to say that. They have the right to believe Jesus doesn't exist, but they don't have the right to call you "brainwashed" or implying you're stupid for believing. If that's what you love, if that's something that makes you a better person, if that's something that helps you go on in your life and be happy and not feeling alone then just do it. I know it's hard when your family disapproves of you and when you like something so much and you want to share it with them because you love them but all they give you is this.

But don't stop believing. I think it'll get easier in time. They'll learn to accept you the way you are and they'll realize there's nothing they can do.

Just remember.

The Church is a family, if no one else cares for you the church always will.

So if you cant find the support from your blood family, look to your church family. They will always love you, support you and help you. Youth pastors or leaders are always just a phone call or text away. Dont let your family's lack of faith get to you. The bible says that you will be tested, we will all go through trials. But with God by your side you will win.

I just got the thought of this poem, I feel its something that could help you.

Footprints in the Sand

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.

In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there was one only.

This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints, so I said to the Lord,

“You promised me Lord,

that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there has only been one set of footprints in the sand. Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?â€

The Lord replied, “The years when you have seen only one set of footprints, my child, is when I carried you.â€

I cant imagine what its like for you, I was blessed to grow up in a Christian family. But you will come out of this a very strong person with a rock hard faith. Dont let what they tell you affect you, theyre wrong, you know whats right. Dont try to tell them otherwise, they will bring you down. If you keep walking the narrow, difficult path they will see your strength and faith and either come to accept who you are or even look into the bible too. Its easier for a person without faith to bring down a faithful person than it is for a faithful person to bring someone to God, they need to see it for them self. So be an example and show them what it means to believe in God.

Keep your head held high, look forward toward God and dont listen to what others say. Pray and ask God for help and never underestimate the power of your church's family!

God bless

I bet your Family is Very Loving and caring??

I know this was addressed to Joe but I'm going to answer this from my POV. My family is loving, but it is very hard on both ends of my family to accept certain things, or things that they do not believe is right. Like as I said, my uncle mike is very unaccepting of any religion that is not catholicism and truuuust me, there is plenty of guilt there. I have been guilted back into that religion so many times I don't know what to do. And to me, this is such a point of frustration because religion should not DO that, no one should be manipulated in that way, and people shouldn't use religion as an excuse for that type of thing.

I read one of your posts earlier and you said that you're sad because you're family isn't saved - just remember that being saved is a matter of perspective for many people and I'm sure they are happy the way they are. I think that this prejudice they have comes from fear; maybe that you'll try to convert them, or you'll be a "Jesus freak" - in a bad way - or something like that. They don't understand what you understand, but don't push anything on them because that is probably what they are afraid of.

Oh God No karen I knjow better not to push Realgion on Anyone I Always learned in this. it isn't the way to go.i alwyas learned they will come with time :)..

They don't have the right to say that. They have the right to believe Jesus doesn't exist, but they don't have the right to call you "brainwashed" or implying you're stupid for believing. If that's what you love, if that's something that makes you a better person, if that's something that helps you go on in your life and be happy and not feeling alone then just do it. I know it's hard when your family disapproves of you and when you like something so much and you want to share it with them because you love them but all they give you is this.

But don't stop believing. I think it'll get easier in time. They'll learn to accept you the way you are and they'll realize there's nothing they can do.

it does get easier sometimes but there's days where it is very hard when i do dramas and plays or something they aren't very supportive to at least come see Me you know??

because if i wasn't A believer And My family was I would still go to a play or there dance drama just to be a good Support System

Thank you All of you guys for you Comments and Your Thoughs.. it makes me feel louds better.. about my Christianity and Joe I really Wished I was Raised like you I bet your Family is Very Loving and caring??

Meh, we have our problems like all. But dont be upset with who brought you up.

Yeah Im glad I had the backing of my faith from my family, but I do feel that my faith hasnt been tested as much as I would have liked. You will have a rock solid faith at the end of this, trust me.

It's true sarah. Struggles won't just go away even if we want them to. The important thing to realise is that God will always be with you.

Remember: Don't tell your God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your GOD is :)

• 11 years later...