The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Hows it going people?

We all have problems that need addressing.

As people of faith (across all beliefs (not just Christianity)) I think that it is important to pray for one another, it brings us closer to God and one another. SO...

If you have any prayer requests for yourself or a family member or friend post them here.

I will, and hopefully others, will pray for you. I believe that prayer is very powerful and can have a huge impact on our lives. So hit me up with requests and I will keep you in my prayers.

If its to private to post publicly here just PM me or e-mail me at joeoconnor0@gmail.com and I will get back to you.

God bless.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, my dad has a health problem and he's going to have operation on wednesday. hope everything alright

Second, I have to do ten book reports within two days, hope I have enough vitality to do them all. Amen

I love this idea Joe, I can't believe I didn't think of it! This is a fabulous idea, and I am going to pin it. :)

Firstly, I would like to pray for myself, that I have the courage to keep going and to keep my head up during tough times and that I can have the opportunity to follow my dreams.

I'm praying that my mom gets a job soon.

and to pray for the political leaders of the US; that they do what is right in their heart and they do not give in to corruption and greed.

I love this idea Joe!!

Also, in judaism we have special parts in our daily prayers for people. We say their name during a specific part. We have 3 daily prayers in synagogue. So if people can't make it they give the names to someone who does go. I always give names to my father and he will always pray for these people. (since I don't usually make it). So feel free to PM me any names as well!! Also, we don't only pray for sick and poor. We pray for good things as well. I give in some close friends names who are trying to have kids or get married ect. So if anyone would like me to pray for them or any family member or friends just let me know?

Also, if it is a diar situation please please please let me know. We have a strong network of getting names around. A lot of people will send out an e-mail ect with names and a short explanation for very serious situations. We often have special prayers services to read psalms when this occurs. So please let me know if anything like this happens and I will spread the word around and have people pray.

Everyday I pray for the safe return of our men and women in uniform. More so now since many of my friends are in the service. I prayed for the safe return of my friend who did a tour in Iraq a few years ago, and two of my other friends who served in Afghanistan. Thank God that they all came back unscathed. Now one of my best friends from high school is getting deployed to the region this coming November, I will pray for his safe and timely return as well.

I'm not asking y'all to necessarily pray for my friends in particular but rather pray for the safe return of anyone that we may know who are serving and are over there fighting.

I would also like to pray for my friend trey who is serving in afghanistan now that he comes back safe and sound and works out his issues with his ex wife.

Im also praying for my friend becca, that she can work through her issues and come to love herself.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm biting my lip right now, thinking. I think this is an amazing thread, first of all. I've neglected to post in the Religious Resource Forum because of personal reasons. I just don't feel quite comfortable with discussing ideas.

However, I do have faith and I am very spiritual and I do believe in God. I just don't attend church or religious services, etc. I don't pray so much, but I have taken to prayer lately for someone in my life. I hope this person comes to a crossroads and takes the opportunity--whichever it is--to maintain well being and love themselves. I've been praying every day, when I wake up, and take my shower. I hold in my hands my Livestrong band that I wear every single day, which I was wearing the day of my accident on the 27th of April, and I hold the rings-which got nearly smashed--and my necklace that I was wearing too, while I pray.

Also, I want to add prayer power to my own life. I'm entering a phase where I'm taking proactive steps to go back and get an education, continue doing sport endurance events, and raising awareness for various causes which I relate personally to. I just hope this year is promising for me and I can get back on my feet. I also am putting out there my own family members, and especially my sister who is trying to succeed in her business and has recently hit a rough patch.

Amazing thread, Joe. I will keep in mind everyone else who posts and pray as well.

You guys are so insipirational, and I now need to wipe tears off my face. Thanks guys. <3. xo.

Hey guys,

I'm biting my lip right now, thinking. I think this is an amazing thread, first of all. I've neglected to post in the Religious Resource Forum because of personal reasons. I just don't feel quite comfortable with discussing ideas.

However, I do have faith and I am very spiritual and I do believe in God. I just don't attend church or religious services, etc. I don't pray so much, but I have taken to prayer lately for someone in my life. I hope this person comes to a crossroads and takes the opportunity--whichever it is--to maintain well being and love themselves. I've been praying every day, when I wake up, and take my shower. I hold in my hands my Livestrong band that I wear every single day, which I was wearing the day of my accident on the 27th of April, and I hold the rings-which got nearly smashed--and my necklace that I was wearing too, while I pray.

Also, I want to add prayer power to my own life. I'm entering a phase where I'm taking proactive steps to go back and get an education, continue doing sport endurance events, and raising awareness for various causes which I relate personally to. I just hope this year is promising for me and I can get back on my feet. I also am putting out there my own family members, and especially my sister who is trying to succeed in her business and has recently hit a rough patch.

Amazing thread, Joe. I will keep in mind everyone else who posts and pray as well.

You guys are so insipirational, and I now need to wipe tears off my face. Thanks guys. <3. xo.

I'm sure God is glad to hear from you, Kim :) Personally, I don't believe prayer needs to be something formal - it could just be talking to a friend.

I will pray that you make good decisions regarding your future and that you find which path is good for you and follow it without fear!

I used to be doubtful if I was praying the *right* way. I started praying constantly when I was 12 years old, and my friend showed me how. Now, I pray every night before I go to bed. My prayer style has changed recently, where I was much more awkward before and I was just requesting stuff, and now I'm thanking God for everything good. I also noticed that praying differs between religions. In Catholicism, at least from what I've seen, it's much more formal and stiff. When I pray with Christian fellowship, they say "God" a lot, like, they insert it a lot into their prayers, which I found interesting. They also "send up" their prayers, which is a suuuuuuuuper idea!

I just talk to God like He is a friend, which He is. My friend Ana said that she was taught to pray by putting a chair in front of her and praying like God was just sitting there. I think that is a fabulous idea, actually.

And Kim, thank you so much for posting. I know you overcame a lot to do it. You are always welcome!

I'm sure God is glad to hear from you, Kim :) Personally, I don't believe prayer needs to be something formal - it could just be talking to a friend.

I will pray that you make good decisions regarding your future and that you find which path is good for you and follow it without fear!

I just talk to God like He is a friend, which He is.

And Kim, thank you so much for posting. I know you overcame a lot to do it. You are always welcome!

Thanks, Karen. It's still very weird for me to talk about God and discuss these issues surrounding God. My belief is that I believe in a higher being who is incidentally named God (but I bet you can pretty much substitute any name in here).

I used to have a fearful relationship with God, primarily because I grew up being told that God would "punish" me if I do "bad" things. My family is Catholic as well, but not devout or frequent followers but still maintained some of its principles. My sister told me in the car one day, "God doesn't 'punish', and we all grew up with this idea (in our family). If you seek and need guidance, then you ask and in due time you will receive".

Neither of us are religious. We read books, discuss ideas and principles, and take what we most agree with from different religions. Therefore, I cannot classify myself. Now I do treat God as my friend. There was certainly no one else that looked over me last Wednesday when I got hit by a car while cycling. In retrospect, I definitely needed a wake-up call in my life. I wasn't doing much: working two jobs, seven days a week for 50+ hours for six months, and after I quit the one with the most hours I had loads of time on my hands, most of which I did not use wisely.

I wake up every day now feeling grateful to be here, and to have the ability to be there for others in my life who need help the most.

Thanks, Karen, all you peeps in the Forum :yesyes: . B)

Thanks, Karen. It's still very weird for me to talk about God and discuss these issues surrounding God. My belief is that I believe in a higher being who is incidentally named God (but I bet you can pretty much substitute any name in here).

I used to have a fearful relationship with God, primarily because I grew up being told that God would "punish" me if I do "bad" things. My family is Catholic as well, but not devout or frequent followers but still maintained some of its principles. My sister told me in the car one day, "God doesn't 'punish', and we all grew up with this idea (in our family). If you seek and need guidance, then you ask and in due time you will receive".

Neither of us are religious. We read books, discuss ideas and principles, and take what we most agree with from different religions. Therefore, I cannot classify myself. Now I do treat God as my friend. There was certainly no one else that looked over me last Wednesday when I got hit by a car while cycling. In retrospect, I definitely needed a wake-up call in my life. I wasn't doing much: working two jobs, seven days a week for 50+ hours for six months, and after I quit the one with the most hours I had loads of time on my hands, most of which I did not use wisely.

I wake up every day now feeling grateful to be here, and to have the ability to be there for others in my life who need help the most.

Thanks, Karen, all you peeps in the Forum :yesyes: . B)

I completely agree that ask and you shall receive. Too bad it takes FOREVER for some things :P I also agree that God is probably the name for a being that doesn't have one. That is a huge part of my belief - that God is many things, and we shouldn't fight over Him because He is the same thing - we just call him different names - God, Allah, Yahweh, G-D, etc.

I'm glad that you had a wake up call and are now finding new beauty in things; new perspective. That is so important, and it's also important to take good things out of bad situations.

I completely agree that ask and you shall receive. Too bad it takes FOREVER for some things :P I also agree that God is probably the name for a being that doesn't have one. That is a huge part of my belief - that God is many things, and we shouldn't fight over Him because He is the same thing - we just call him different names - God, Allah, Yahweh, G-D, etc.

I'm glad that you had a wake up call and are now finding new beauty in things; new perspective. That is so important, and it's also important to take good things out of bad situations.

I am. I had a very, very interesting experience tonight, which I will post soon.

The reason why it takes "forever" for some things is because--I believe--things or events you desire to have happen in their due time. Steps to a bigger picture. We get impatient, but I take it as we shouldn't wait to receive what we ask for. God, or a higher being (whoever any of you believe in, as I recognize everyone is very different), is there for you to have faith in....to know that things will get better in the toughest and darkest time in your life.

On the flipside, some people believe that that power that this higher being "gives us" is really within ourselves. Whatever this may be, it's aligning your beliefs with asking of something from inside of you. Your thoughts are proven to project good feelings in prayer or seeking guidance from someone or something. Your thoughts are proven to have physical ability. And this is the basis for "The Secret".

The Secret is simply a compilation of philosophical, scientific theory, and mixture of various faiths. It works off the basis of visualization and "asking". The point I'm trying to make here is that waiting for something to happen should never be the only option. Where there is faith and prayer (or visualization, or whichever you consider is important to you to succeed), there needs to be equal action in your life to amass this success. Faith gives you the impetus to move forward. A trust in yourself, another being, a philosophical idea, breeds outward action.

I am not a stranger to helping people. It's what I feel I do best. And it's something I want to continue for the rest of my life, hence why I have been praying for the past two days.

I take the bad, first, out of situations. The good comes next, after the worst has faded. People stuck in the bad, or a middle-ground, are people who I watch out for--meaning be there for them. I always will be.

Edited by Lena

I am. I had a very, very interesting experience tonight, which I will post soon.

The reason why it takes "forever" for some things is because--I believe--things or events you desire to have happen in their due time. Steps to a bigger picture. We get impatient, but I take it as we shouldn't wait to receive what we ask for. God, or a higher being (whoever any of you believe in, as I recognize everyone is very different), is there for you to have faith in....to know that things will get better in the toughest and darkest time in your life.

On the flipside, some people believe that that power that this higher being "gives us" is really within ourselves. Whatever this may be, it's aligning your beliefs with asking of something from inside of you. Your thoughts are proven to project good feelings in prayer or seeking guidance from someone or something. Your thoughts are proven to have physical ability. And this is the basis for "The Secret".

The Secret is simply a compilation of philosophical, scientific theory, and mixture of various faiths. It works off the basis of visualization and "asking". The point I'm trying to make here is that waiting for something to happen should never be the only option. Where there is faith and prayer (or visualization, or whichever you consider is important to you to succeed), there needs to be equal action in your life to amass this success. Faith gives you the impetus to move forward. A trust in yourself, another being, a philosophical idea, breeds outward action.

I am not a stranger to helping people. It's what I feel I do best. And it's something I want to continue for the rest of my life, hence why I have been praying for the past two days.

I take the bad, first, out of situations. The good comes next, after the worst has faded. People stuck in the bad, or a middle-ground, are people who I watch out for--meaning be there for them. I always will be.

I meant to reply to this ages ago, but I've been so busy so I only had the chance now!

I LOVE what you posted about visualization. It is so true! If we can think it, then we can it it. A lot of people use this in terms of motivational tactics and reaching goals, and it is also prevent in terms of meditation: many people use visualization to calm down and release stress. It is such a helpful technique, but it takes a little bit of concentration to master. In the end, though, it is worth it. In terms of prayer, I'm not quite sure what to think. If someone is praying for another person, I don't think visualization will help, because it would be for them to visualize, not the person praying for the. But if a person is praying for themselves, visualization is essentially what the person is doing.

The medical and mental benefits of prayer are undisputed, as well. It is proven that praying works the brain the same way as meditation (because a person is essentially doing the same thing) and it causes much relaxation and release of stress. It also releases a hormone (I forget which one) that promotes well-being and good moods.

Many people also have trouble with waiting for what they asked for. I know that I used to pray for things for years upon end, and FINALLY it happened and I was all the more grateful because of it because I had wanted it for so long. God, in my opinion, also does not give us ANYTHING that He thinks we cannot handle. He gives us the tools to overcome and it is so we can find our faith. One of my favorite sayings is, "don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!". I think this is so true!

I meant to reply to this ages ago, but I've been so busy so I only had the chance now!

I LOVE what you posted about visualization. It is so true! If we can think it, then we can it it. A lot of people use this in terms of motivational tactics and reaching goals, and it is also prevent in terms of meditation: many people use visualization to calm down and release stress. It is such a helpful technique, but it takes a little bit of concentration to master. In the end, though, it is worth it. In terms of prayer, I'm not quite sure what to think. If someone is praying for another person, I don't think visualization will help, because it would be for them to visualize, not the person praying for the. But if a person is praying for themselves, visualization is essentially what the person is doing.

The medical and mental benefits of prayer are undisputed, as well. It is proven that praying works the brain the same way as meditation (because a person is essentially doing the same thing) and it causes much relaxation and release of stress. It also releases a hormone (I forget which one) that promotes well-being and good moods.

Many people also have trouble with waiting for what they asked for. I know that I used to pray for things for years upon end, and FINALLY it happened and I was all the more grateful because of it because I had wanted it for so long. God, in my opinion, also does not give us ANYTHING that He thinks we cannot handle. He gives us the tools to overcome and it is so we can find our faith. One of my favorite sayings is, "don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!". I think this is so true!

Karen, I agree on most of what you say (and sorry I have not replied to your post. I've been super busy myself.). However, praying for someone else holds the same principle--I believe--as visualization for oneself . It's turning and seeking guidance for another. I've been praying every morning and I prayed today, and today was no different. I added three people into my prayer.

I prayed for the physical well-being of one, the emotional well-being of another, and the success I see coming to the next person in another prayer. I cried this morning. I didn't think I could, but I did. In all of these cases, just as you can imagine, picture, and visualize something directly for yourself, you can also visualize wellness for another person if you just stare at their picture and imagine them happy with themselves, loving and accepting themselves, a smile on their face, a physically well body, or a person without any pain. All of this is a just as possible a visualization as any other.

Meditation and prayer work nearly the same in indirect ways. Focusing on prayer for yourself or someone is the very step in taking an action-based step. Mantras, and meditations (yes, Karen, I am repeating the mantra you gave to me last night in my head right now, which I thank you so much for), destress the body because of the prayer seeker's acknowledgment that there is some sort of hope for them and for others. Breath work also is an essential part of say, yoga--or any meditative-based exercise--because it slows and deepens the breath, allowing the person to allow more oxygen in their lungs and dilate the blood vessels by physically and mentally manipulating a higher marked blood pressure in a particularly stressful situation.

Primary hormones that produce well-being and good moods in a person are influenced by a structure in the brain that maintains neurotransmitter chemicals such as dopamine and serotonin. Exercise also produces, as I'm sure you know, endorphins or endogenous morphines.

I had a former teacher I was very close to in high school, who I turned to to be the advisor to my problems. Though I no longer get any response from this person (it's been two years), she is a firm believer in her faith that "God will not put on you what you cannot bear", similar to your idea Karen. You do realize nearly that same exact quote is written by Norman Vincent Peale in The Power of Positive Thinking ? I don't read it as much, as it delves into Bible text and passages, and I don't find myself ready to examine them as of yet. But his principles can be attributed to any other faith--tools needed to promote positive good-feeling and hope.

I feel as if I'm sitting on pins and needles right now, thinking about these three people (and lastly myself). And I'm sure, from the bottom of my heart, things will work out for all of them. <3.

Edited by Lena
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.

Would you guys be able to pray for me?

Ive had a hard week and am feeling pretty down.

Plus I dropped my laptop and broke the LCD screen so its unusable (Im on here with my kinddle). Thanks guys

of course joe! same for me, with money troubles and I also pray that I will be able to conquer my anxiety/grow out of it. :)

Hey guys.

Would you guys be able to pray for me?

Ive had a hard week and am feeling pretty down.

Plus I dropped my laptop and broke the LCD screen so its unusable (Im on here with my kinddle). Thanks guys

Will do, Joe. ^_^ I hope things work out for you, and that you can manage to get that laptop fixed!

-----

I've been having a pretty hard time this past month in general. I get positive moments and buoy myself, and work through problems but sometimes they get super hard to deal with. I don't nearly worry about myself as much, though.

Will ya'll be able to pray for me that I have the strength to offer others support and help them through what they're going through? Sometimes my not feeling strong coincides with--or even brings on--the hypocrisy I feel for myself because I offer advice that I, myself, somtimes do not follow.

I've acknowledged the fact that the next six months are going to produce phases to make me stronger, but that it will be a lot of hard work and mastery of fear to get to where I want to be.

of course joe! same for me, with money troubles and I also pray that I will be able to conquer my anxiety/grow out of it. :)

I always like to read what you're working on, so I know what to pray for. I haven't prayed in a couple days, I hate to say, but I'll be working my way back to it.

I have confidence you'll be able to find resolutions to the money issue and that doors will open for you, and that you will be able to figure out a right budget for you for things you need. <3.

Conquering anxiety...you'll be in it for the longhaul, but it WILL happen.

Much luck you two. xoxo.

Edited by Lena
  • 1 month later...

Please pray for me that I pass my license test tomorrow (july 20th)! If praying isnt your thing, positive and calming energy vibes would be greeeeeeeat! :D I'll let y'all know how it goes :)

Is it possible for people to pray for my nana?

Shes been in hospital since the start of the year. She was real bad at one point but has gotten better. But its at the stage if she gets sick and gets a lung infection its going to be good bye nana.

Thanks guys.

Edited by Joe O'Connor

Please pray for me that I pass my license test tomorrow (july 20th)! If praying isnt your thing, positive and calming energy vibes would be greeeeeeeat! :D I'll let y'all know how it goes :)

I DID! ^_^

After you called me, I did. LOL. :D I'm so glad it turned out all right. WOOT.!

I call dibs on the front seat, and on the road trip wherever it will be (-crosses fingers that it is Maine! :excited: - )

Is it possible for people to pray for my nana?

Shes been in hospital since the start of the year. She was real bad at one point but has gotten better. But its at the stage if she gets sick and gets a lung infection its going to be good bye nana.

Thanks guys.

Absolutely, Joe. Absolutely. Will do tonight before going to sleep. ;) xoxo.

---

Guys, please pray for....

1) my friend, who cannot decide what she wants to do.

and

2) my sister, because she needs a job--a steadier one--and she needs to be able to get her life together and start profiting correctly. I don't like to mention or suggest to her anything because sometimes she's receptive to what I have to say, and other times she gets defensive and views it as a slight to her character when I genuinely want to help her get past her troubles both financially and otherwise.

's it for now :D

Edited by Prongs
  • 2 weeks later...

^Thanks heaps.

Will remember to pray for your friend and sister

THANKS JOE! <3

One more thing:

I'm going through sort of a hard time at the moment, but I cannot classify it as a "hardship" by any means. I'd like things to turn out right for myself so that I can establish myself on my own and be completely independent. So, if anything, the first two immediate things I would like to happen are: 1) Get a decent-paying second job (in a tight market, that's proven difficult) and 2) be back in school by January 2012.

;)

I'll keep ya'll in mind as well. xoxoxo!