The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Was just woken up tonight that there will be an official announcement from the White House. Apparently they will confirm that Osama bin Laden has been killed as a result of US direct action. Nothing fully confirmed yet, diff networks are covering it.

--

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13256676

Edited by sirbenedictvs
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am watching it now. It's on every news channel! Obama is going to speak soon about it! Turn on your tvs guys! Craziness!

All I can say is, huge relief, but how will Arab nations react? It's a bit scary as well!

Even Arab nations want bin Laden gone. He's not allowed in Saudi Arabia and Jordan and I won't be surprised that he is not welcome in any Arab state. This man is literally the most wanted man in the world by numerous states, not just by western nations.

My newsfeed on facebook has EXPLODED, haha. But honestly, I expected that he was dead a long time ago, this didn't come as much of a surprise to me. Yes, it's a great moment in our history, but I can't help but be skeptical that this will really boost obama's ratings right in time for the 2012 election.

That being said, I like obama and I'm glad that this happened under his term. But it just seems a *little* too convenient for me. I just expected it a while ago *shrug*

I liked obamas speech, it was nicely done. I liked how he thanked all the right people and spoke about unity. Well done. But, I want to know what this is going to mean for our future!

I liked Obama's speech, it was nicely done. I liked how he thanked all the right people and spoke about unity. Well done. But, I want to know what this is going to mean for our future!

I too was quite impressed with his address. He didn't bs anything, he thanked the right people and most importantly, he made it personal for us as Americans.

All I can say is, huge relief, but how will Arab nations react? It's a bit scary as well!

Exactly my thoughts. I'm afraid that his "death" will be a reason for many bad things to come. I personally believe that everything is always carefully planned and that "some people" have been preparing specific things for after his death. Js.

Even Arab nations want bin Laden gone. He's not allowed in Saudi Arabia and Jordan and I won't be surprised that he is not welcome in any Arab state. This man is literally the most wanted man in the world by numerous states, not just by western nations.

I live next saudi arabia. Trust me these muslims rly hate him alot.

My newsfeed on facebook has EXPLODED, haha. But honestly, I expected that he was dead a long time ago, this didn't come as much of a surprise to me. Yes, it's a great moment in our history, but I can't help but be skeptical that this will really boost obama's ratings right in time for the 2012 election.

That being said, I like obama and I'm glad that this happened under his term. But it just seems a *little* too convenient for me. I just expected it a while ago *shrug*

Interesting thought.

Exactly my thoughts. I'm afraid that his "death" will be a reason for many bad things to come. I personally believe that everything is always carefully planned and that "some people" have been preparing specific things for after his death. Js.

We'll see whats gonna happen. I'm not worried tho. I have no reason to be.

But to be honest I find it a bit disturbing how people celebrate like it's new year. I mean somebody got killed, is that a reason to party? Doesn't matter who he is.

i've heared that before i go to skool!

Interesting thought.

We'll see whats gonna happen. I'm not worried tho. I have no reason to be.

But to be honest I find it a bit disturbing how people celebrate like it's new year. I mean somebody got killed, is that a reason to party? Doesn't matter who he is.

Exactly! idk why the people do celebrate in this way they even didnt say R.I.P whoever he is bad or good he dead we dont need to celebrate as if it's a big event!

plus there is no Arab country will accept his dead body i guess,and i dont think there is any reason to be worry about what will happen later i dont think this will effect anything since most of the people though he dead from a long time!

lol all I can say is- took them long enough... they probably could have gotten him earlier but as others said, this was probably the moment planned by 'some people'

it's good that he's gone anyway, he was just evil. I heard he used a woman as a human shield <_<

I agree.

I was thinking the same thing! In fact, I remember distinctly that when Suddam Hussein was killed my father told me I shouldn't be happy. Because the fact of the matter is, someone still died.

I think you have to look at it differently. It's not that all of these people were necessarily partying because of his death. More that everyone was celebrating America and banning together. It was a great time for America. We finally did something right, something that greatly helps our country. For many people, it was the final chapter to the horrors of 911. The knowledge that Osama can't hurt us anymore. I don't think it was "woohoo he's dead!" but more,"I am proud to be an American"

We've been after this guy for quite some time. He's been haunting us every time his image is shown on television. The images of the September 11th attacks especially haunt us and knowing that this man is responsible creates a sense of fear and anger. This man is the reason why security measures are so scrutinizing, and why every American looks over their shoulder ever time they travel. This man made us paranoid. This man is the reason why 3000 innocent people died in one September morning, made us realize that we are vulnerable. And this man called for his group to declare war on the United States of America and personally said that he will not stop until he kills very many American men, women and children. His death is almost like a weight off our shoulders.

lol all I can say is- took them long enough... they probably could have gotten him earlier but as others said, this was probably the moment planned by 'some people'

it's good that he's gone anyway, he was just evil. I heard he used a woman as a human shield <_<

Well there were instances that we could have killed or captured him but for political and bureaucratic reasons could not. He escaped in Tora Bora during OEF-1 because US ground forces could not pursue him and his fighters across the border into Pakistan. Several cases have come up where CIA and Special Forces teams were so close to him but were called off due to lack of "significant actionable intelligence". In 1997, we were hours away from killing him when President Clinton ordered a cruise missile strike on his al Qaeda training camp in Afghanistan. According to local sources he left the compound just a few hours before the strike. Now this one, there was a huge chance that he could've escaped yet again. The first news of his whereabouts apparently came in August of 2010. He was hiding in a suburban town just outside of Jalalabad, deep inside Pakistan, quite literally in plain sight. (This whole time we've been looking in the mountainous region along the Pakistan/Afghanistan border). It took nearly 10 months before President Obama was sure enough to deploy a strike team and deliver justice.

Yes reports say that among the dead were him, his son, 2 couriers, and a woman who was used as a human shield. Another woman was also wounded in the firefight. The man was shot twice in the head so I don't know if a photograph of his dead body will be convincing enough since he won't have a head left. DNA testing is what we're going off now since his body has already been laid to rest.

---

Another note I felt that it was a good thing that his body was immediately laid to rest in accordance with Islamic custom. Yes we hated the guy but we have enough respect for him as a human being to bury him properly.

I have to agree with Richie. I think that partying like it's New Year's Eve is a little too much. Yeah,he was a monster and responsible for thousands of innocent lives,but celebrating someones death is a little distasteful.

Plus,whose to say that the terrorism is over just cause it's main man was killed. You all talking like he can't hurt you no more and stuff like that,but do you really believe in that? That terrorism is over? The heck it is! Call me a pessimist or whatever,but if you ask me,I think it's gonna get worse now that he's dead.

Plus,whose to say that the terrorism is over just cause it's main man was killed. You all talking like he can't hurt you no more and stuff like that,but do you really believe in that? That terrorism is over? The heck it is! Call me a pessimist or whatever,but if you ask me,I think it's gonna get worse now that he's dead.

Terrorism is omnipotent. As long as there are people in the world, as long as there's a reason for a disgruntled individual to feel motivated to commit such crimes, there will always be a terrorist. This man was no longer the operational head of al Qaeda, he was "retired" so to speak. He is an iconic symbol for the global jihad against western countries. His death marks a personal and symbolic victory, not necessarily a military one.