The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Blessings and Gratefulness

So, a huuuuuuge pet peeve of mine is when people are ungrateful and bitter in their lives because they don't appreciate what they have. It is SO important to take a step back and look at things and be grateful and to count your blessings!

I would like for all of us to post things that we are grateful for, and/or things we are blessed for. They could be the same thing, it just depends on the term you want to use. I would like to use this format:

I am blessed (or, "I am grateful.")

I am blessed/grateful because....

and if someone above can't think of something and you might know something, help them out!

I'll start.

I am blessed.

I am blessed because I had the opportunity to buy new clothes yesterday.

**And keep in mind ladies and gents, that it doesn't have to be something really profund, it can be simple like, "I am grateful because I had the opportunity to eat my favorite food today".

Let the blessings and gratefulness commence!

Edited by Karen

I love this topic!!! It always pisses me off on here about the many threads that are decayed to complaining and such! Everyone needs to be more positive!

I am blessed because I have family and friends who love me.

I am thankful that my co-director is one of my best friends and super helpful!

I admire you for making this thread, Karen.

I've been really bitter lately, for having been in that accident, but perhaps I should write this:

I am blessed because someone was watching over me last Wednesday.

I am grateful that I survived, even though I'm in immense pain right now.

Thank you.

I'm glad you value your education!!!! ROCK IT GIRRRRRL. :D

---

I'm grateful that I've finally started making steps and taking action to move on with my life. I realized how necessary it was two days ago, for me to re-focus on my education, my fitness and health, and my wellbeing. It was put into perspective for me. And I know I will not fail. And if I do, failure is only temporary.

I'm also grateful my sister takes me in and spends time with me. ^_^ Love herrr <3. :wub:

That's it for me :mellow: . I'll check back later. :P LOL.

• 1 month later...

I am thankful that I got everything I needed sorted out for my transfer orientation!

I am also thankful that I got into the University of Washington. And even though they let me know too late and I can't go, it is a major accomplishment for me because it is a GOOD school. I will apply there for grad school :)

I am thankful that I got everything I needed sorted out for my transfer orientation!

Congratulations hun!!! AND SAME!!!

I am so thankful everything is set up for me to start school this fall. I am all signed up for courses and have been accepted to the art program. I am so thankful to all of those who helped me. Especially my amazing dad, who is very blessed indeed!

• 4 months later...

I am blessed.

I am blessed because I am Loved by people who are close to me in my life, and by God.

I am grateful that I've had such wonderful opportunities to really grow as a person, within the past--even--four months. <3.

I am thankful that my healing has really brought to the forefront my purpose and solidified my convictions to help others (in need).

I am super grateful that I finally received a position for a second job that pays well and supports a cause I care a lot about.

I am in awe that those I care most about reciprocate that feeling with huuuge amount of patience. (-nudge nudge nudge-). :)

I am happy.

Thank. You. God.

I am blessed AND grateful because WHO KNEW at the beginning of this year I'd have the opportunity to start a Bible study in my dorm!! I am so excited and I mean, wow. It's amazing to see where God has taken me. I am also grateful because I'm really learning how to trust in God because that is a crux of my faith. Slowly getting there :)

• 1 month later...

I am blessed AND grateful because WHO KNEW at the beginning of this year I'd have the opportunity to start a Bible study in my dorm!! I am so excited and I mean, wow. It's amazing to see where God has taken me. I am also grateful because I'm really learning how to trust in God because that is a crux of my faith. Slowly getting there :)

That is such an old post lol, but I can't wait to attend a Bible study you lead. That would be epic!

---

I am blessed that my life has turned out the way it has, and that I'm not dragging myself along anymore. I've been working to let go of my fears and anxieties about the future...which, btw, is just recent. But, I'm becoming more conscious of my purpose and what I'm called to do. I still don't have an answer yet and it's still fuzzy, but I feel like it'll become clear soon.

And I am so grateful to have such wonderful people in my life. I'm also grateful that I've reached a place now where I can have other people depend on me more, instead of myself being in constant need.

And I'm just filled with this sense of acceptance and love of myself. It would be hard to explain to someone who has not experienced a change in the level of personal faith in God. But if any of those are curious, i'd be happy to share.

I thank God for all of these things. B):yesyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I am blessed that I've had such amazing opportunities this semester and it's only the beginning! I'm so grateful that I can practice my faith without persecution, and I'm SUPREMELY blessed that Jesus loves me!!

• 1 month later...

I guess this belongs here.

I'm one of the Youth Leaders at my Youth Group (So fun, I highly recommended doing it if you're old enough).

The mass of the youth group is quite young and mostly girls, but there is this one girl that goes, she wouldn't be older than 13 or 14 years old. She stands out above the rest of the youth group, not in terms of her beliefs or wisdom or knowledge, but her spirit and her heart.

Shes a hard case, I don't know if its only me that sees it or what, but its hard to explain.

She cant sit still, her eyes dart around the room at a million miles an hour and she is not afraid to make fun of anyone (Including me).

This post may seem very weird, but I see so much innocence in her. Its almost like that is what we Christians should be, so innocent but not afraid of anything. It does my head in and brings a smile to my face every time. To me, that is what Christians should be.

As I said, its hard to explain. I hope you understand me.

I would love to see where she ends up in her life and career, I hope the world doesn't corrupt her

she must be very blessed joe! And you have been blessed with the gift to see that in her, which is very amazing :) Being able to see potential is a great thing :D

I am grateful that I'm on spring break

That I'm doing my observation hours for my child study class this week to gain experience

also I got to meet a speaker from the Red Cloud Indian School in south dakota yesterday, which is a place that I'm considering going to to volunteer after I graduate. It's amazing because out of all the universities she came to my school and I got to meet her and the other people that came with her and it was such an incredible experience! I feel like God is pushing me in the right direction saying "LISTEN! I JUST GOT ALL OF THESE SIGNS FOR YOU! THIS IS WHERE YOU'RE MEANT TO GO!" so maybe I will go after graduation lol.

Hmm what else? Oh I'm doing a community service project with my friend (also for my child study class) and we're going into the daycare at my uni to do world music with the kids. I am sooo excited :)

If you say it shouldn't be here then i proise I'll shut up, I just wondered why people should be more positive and why they should count their blessing?

Yes I'm one of those evil cynical people you mentioned in your opening post, but I was genuiunely intruiged to see why you believe this.

Like I said I promise to shut up and go away if you want me to. It's jsut academic curiosity...

• 2 weeks later...

Why shouldn't people be more positive? :P

Counting blessings and fortunes in life is a wonderful thing because it gives people the opportunity to appreciate what they have, rather than what they don't. Everyone needs to take a step back sometimes and realize how good they have it because (I know it's cliche) there are people in the world that don't have nearly as much or almost anything at all.

As for being positive, it is a choice. We can choose to be negative, or we can choose to be positive. But when I think about it, honestly, why would anyone choose to be negative? It benefits them in no way whatsoever. And I'm not talking about being a realist, I'm talking about being flat out negative and mean and miserly (or whatever other definition there is, I'm sure it varies by person). It's also been proven that being happier is more beneficial to a person's health, while negativity has a bad impact on life span and can increase stress and sadness.

Being a Christian and counting my blessings, it helps me realize that I have everything I need when I really take a moment and think about it. A blessing doesn't have to be anything big, and being thankful could be being thankful for anything! For example, today I'm thankful that I have the ability to perform with my acapella group tonight at an event that my school is putting on talking about advocacy and it addresses many of the problems in this world like poverty, slavery, etc.

It's good just to take a moment every day and realize how lucky we are! I hope that helped :D

hmmm... :/ You've kinda answered it. but I get the impression counting your blessings, taken to te extreme, is essentially a form of self-chastisement. People are only thankful for things that they didn't get/do themselves or don't deserve are they not? So by being thankful for everything you have, you could be seen to think you have very little self worth, and are undeserving.

As I'm writing this it's dawning on me that actually i've hit Christian Philosophy's heart, just expressing it in a different way - where God is responsible for everything, It knows what will happen and makes everything happen and everything is possible because of It.... Guess I just expressed it in a different way no?

Mhm, you did just express it. Self-chastisement and humility aren't the same thing. We can be thankful of what we have which is why many christians take time to count their blessings, but it's not the same as self-chastisement and saying that we suck, we deserve nothing, we have no self-worth. Being humble in my eyes is just realizing that God gave us the means to do things, but sometimes we just have to take the opportunity. The movement was our own but the idea and the way to do it wasn't. It can get pretty complicated, but in the most basic form it comes down to realizing that there is something above us and we aren't the biggest things in our own universe, and that is a concept that many people have trouble with. It SUCKS to know that we aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread (excuse the lame metaphor) but realizing that we aren't number 1 in this world is a huge concept in christianity.

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. Philippians 2:3-5

This isn't exactly what I was trying to say, there is another verse that explains it much better - it basically says everything must go back to God. However, this is another great verse because it tells us that we must serve others before ourselves which is a great way to live life.

As I'm writing this it's dawning on me that actually i've hit Christian Philosophy's heart, just expressing it in a different way - where God is responsible for everything, It knows what will happen and makes everything happen and everything is possible because of It.... Guess I just expressed it in a different way no?

Not quite hitting Christian Philosophy's heart. Christian Philosophy, first of all, is so expansive that I venture to conjecture that you just can't hit it at the core, unless you specifically point out one of its numerous themes.

The funny and most ironic thing about Christianity and its "principles" is that people can espouse, or use and support, the same quotations and phrases in generally two ways; it's a point of perception. If God is responsible for everything, let's just say, then we don't have to essentially worry about things because you know the things you cannot control in this life can be taken care of by God if you trust in your Creator.

(Btw, I have no clue what you believe in, so this is hypothetical.)

However, if you're realizing God may be responsible for everything and look at it as a sense of loss of self-worth, you're looking at it from an inward perspective. I can ultimately (and this will be confusing) venture to guess that these two opposing ideas are both probably true. As humans, with the introduction of science years and years ago, it's in our nature to search for the "right" answer. There is none.

Here's the interesting thing: Those who can take God and personify him, that is to say....those people who can bring and accept God into their lives as a Being, rather than a far-off, distant and arbitrary Character, are probably most likely to understand that having gratefulness for something and attributing events or circumstances to God doesn't diminish their self-worth; it increases it. Why? Because knowing that God can take care of you in much the same way as, physically, your loved ones have done or do implicitly demonstrates that you are worthy enough for attention.

I think one can walk a find line with humility....connotatively, it's taken to mean shamed by something. Humbility, though, is recognizing that as a person you have limitations and the only way you can grow and go beyond those limits is having faith that God will provide.

Mhm, you did just express it. Self-chastisement and humility aren't the same thing. We can be thankful of what we have which is why many christians take time to count their blessings, but it's not the same as self-chastisement and saying that we suck, we deserve nothing, we have no self-worth. Being humble in my eyes is just realizing that God gave us the means to do things, but sometimes we just have to take the opportunity. The movement was our own but the idea and the way to do it wasn't. It can get pretty complicated, but in the most basic form it comes down to realizing that there is something above us and we aren't the biggest things in our own universe, and that is a concept that many people have trouble with. It SUCKS to know that we aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread (excuse the lame metaphor) but realizing that we aren't number 1 in this world is a huge concept in christianity.

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. Philippians 2:3-5

This isn't exactly what I was trying to say, there is another verse that explains it much better - it basically says everything must go back to God. However, this is another great verse because it tells us that we must serve others before ourselves which is a great way to live life.

Laaaame metaphor looooool :P sorry, had to tease you. HAD TO.

I agree, it does get confusing as to what level God operates in our lives. What qualities and actions of ours do we attribute to God's direct action? For me, I've stopped questioning. I think it's safe to say that God knows a reason for why my life has turned out the way it has--with arduous valleys and cliffs and grassy plains. Also, I will say though that I cannot attribute all of myself to God (which in truth, how was I made? --contradiction); when I recognize that I lose my humanity...my sense of being a person in nature, I stop thinking about it. I believe that the moment you feel (can be at different points) like you lose yourself in the mix and feel worthless is the precise moment that God doesn't really want, does He?

It's interesting that you used that verse from Philippians (2:3-5), Karen, because I think you pointed out the purpose of why we are here. But I don't think *anyone* follows it fully, including myself and yourself. How do you balance this suggestion in these verses quoted with putting God first as well?

I heard someone so eloquently speak on this question a couple weeks ago in Bible study. He has a huge point: he's of the belief that we should put others before ourselves, to nurture each other as God and the Holy Spirit, nutures us because, essentially, we come from the Creator and in us are "God qualities". If we're made perfect in His image, so to speak, then yes...perhaps there is a bit of God in each of us, no?

I really liked that concept to a certain extent. And I'm not taking it to the extreme here, in that everyone--humans--are God, but that you can find God's work and actions in other people, characteristics and good qualities to admire.

----

I'm supremely grateful to have loads of friends who are supportive. I'm also grateful to have a friend like Karen, who had initially reintroduced the concept of a caring, loving God to me....but, I've had my church really guide me in terms of theology, etc. Karen, also, has let me dorm at her house for a few days so that I may be able to finish my researching prospective schools. This is really incredible, because not many people are that generous. So, I thank God for that, that I met someone cool :P .

I also feel blessed that my life is finally coming together after I spent so long picking up the fragmented pieces. It's been an incredible ride, and will continue I'm sure. I was accepted into one of my top choice schools with strong interest in pursuing a Social Work degree and finishing with a Master's in four years--unheard of in many places. I also was accepted under partial scholarship!

Just pretty darn happy about life at the moment. ;)

Edited by Kim.

Not quite hitting Christian Philosophy's heart. Christian Philosophy, first of all, is so expansive that I venture to conjecture that you just can't hit it at the core, unless you specifically point out one of its numerous themes.

The funny and most ironic thing about Christianity and its "principles" is that people can espouse, or use and support, the same quotations and phrases in generally two ways; it's a point of perception. If God is responsible for everything, let's just say, then we don't have to essentially worry about things because you know the things you cannot control in this life can be taken care of by God if you trust in your Creator.

(Btw, I have no clue what you believe in, so this is hypothetical.)

However, if you're realizing God may be responsible for everything and look at it as a sense of loss of self-worth, you're looking at it from an inward perspective. I can ultimately (and this will be confusing) venture to guess that these two opposing ideas are both probably true. As humans, with the introduction of science years and years ago, it's in our nature to search for the "right" answer. There is none.

Here's the interesting thing: Those who can take God and personify him, that is to say....those people who can bring and accept God into their lives as a Being, rather than a far-off, distant and arbitrary Character, are probably most likely to understand that having gratefulness for something and attributing events or circumstances to God doesn't diminish their self-worth; it increases it. Why? Because knowing that God can take care of you in much the same way as, physically, your loved ones have done or do implicitly demonstrates that you are worthy enough for attention.

I think one can walk a find line with humility....connotatively, it's taken to mean shamed by something. Humbility, though, is recognizing that as a person you have limitations and the only way you can grow and go beyond those limits is having faith that God will provide.

Atheist, so no I don't believe any of this stuff. And yeah I'd agree that Xianity has many cores, I did however mean one of the many, which I don't think deminishes my point.

I'd argue that by hafving God, you're essentially putting a barrier infront of yourself and admitting you can't go any further. If you remove God, you strive to find the answers to things you otherwise wouldn't consider.

Look at science. With God, we wouldn't bother looking at the Big Bang because before the theory was even postulated we, as humans, would have said it was down to God and it's beyond our understanding, without even attempting it.

Had it not been for religion, Western civilisation would undoubtedly be atleast 600 years ahead, if not 800/900, because of the age of religion where science was condemned as heracy, because (and this is the same as my point above), God provides all and you shouldn't question It. From ~1600AD back until even possibly the end of the Roman Empire, ~500AD, the chursh started establishing tiself and stamping out all scientific research.

I'd argue that by hafving God, you're essentially putting a barrier infront of yourself and admitting you can't go any further. If you remove God, you strive to find the answers to things you otherwise wouldn't consider.

Look at science. With God, we wouldn't bother looking at the Big Bang because before the theory was even postulated we, as humans, would have said it was down to God and it's beyond our understanding, without even attempting it.

Had it not been for religion, Western civilisation would undoubtedly be atleast 600 years ahead, if not 800/900, because of the age of religion where science was condemned as heracy, because (and this is the same as my point above), God provides all and you shouldn't question It. From ~1600AD back until even possibly the end of the Roman Empire, ~500AD, the chursh started establishing tiself and stamping out all scientific research.

I have to argue this. I speak from a Jewish perspective though so I don't know how that compares to Christianity in this sense.

I don't think I understand your point about putting a barrier in front of yourself. Are you saying that by believing in G-D we are creating a barrier? Because that's just not true. In Judaism we strive to grow and move forward our whole lives. You can never stop learning or growing. We do strive to find answer in everything. I think you are more referring to someone with whats called "blind faith". Just accepting without asking. That idea is pretty frowned upon in Judaism, idk about Christianity. In Judaism, you are supposed to question everything until you find an answer that works. You are 100% supposed to consider every option. That's somewhere were you are incorrect. Believing in G-D doesn't make me blind to the world around me.

In response to your Big Bang idea, I mean that still just theory. There are many many Scientist who don't accept that theory. After all, it is called the Big Bang Theory. I personally don't know whether I believe this theory or not. We can never know for sure how it was created. Putting that aside, I will say that Judaism does 100% accept science. We believe in evolution and all that. We accept science and instead look at how it works with our religion. Which is always does.

That's not all true either. There were still plenty of Scientists doing what they could. Again, religion is not equal to blind faith. That idea is very ignorant. To believe that every single person on this planet who believes in G-D just accepts him with no question. Very ignorant opinion. In Judaism at least we had many many philosophers and scientists that go back to those times. You may not have heard of them, but I can give you sources. The Church didnt control the entire world. To say that they prevented 600 or 800/900 years of advancement is pretty ridiculous. The entire world was no listening to everything the Church said. In some parts of the world, yes. But, not every. There were so many advancements we did make. In the end of the day, we simply lacked technology back than. Technology that wasn't going to be found yet. I don't think it was supposed to be. Either way, it doesn't really matter. You can't change the past. The only point I wanted to make was that not everyone who believes in G-D rejects everything else in the world.

I get that your an Atheist and I respect that. But, there is so much you don't know. I think it would be beneficial for you to learn more. Not because I think you will like what you read or want to convert you ect. So that you can argue your own points better. I mean the idea that we all follow blindly is just not true. I think if you learned more about other religions it would help you define yourself better as an Atheist. Plus, when these conversations do come up you will be able to make better arguments. Mostly, I think it will help you understand why you are an Atheist. I mean there is a lot that's pretty messed up about religions lol. All I mean is that, you could make some really strong points. You could give some religious people a run for their money. But, you need to know a little more :P