The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Blessings and Gratefulness

I would choose to reply to the above posts, but I don't have the propensity for debate.

The thread is a topic for blessings and gratefulness and right now I feel so surrounded by Love from God. There's this abundant transcendence of a feeling so warm, fulfilling, and full of joy. And I'm not sure if I experienced this to this length of time and degree.

I had a fabulous Bible study this morning. I don't know what it was today, everyone was laughing, joking, and focusing on text. We all seemed in pretty good places, except for one woman who admitted she was going through tough times. We all spent the last fifteen minutes giving her encouragement and positive affirmations and support. I know that God has an intention for all of us, no matter where in our journeys we are with each other. I know deep down that this person who is struggling today will go through dark times, but also lighter times full with self-discovery. At close of Bible study, we stood in a circle and held hands, offering prayers of thanksgiving and prayers of petition. We each took turns asking God to be there for this person and that she may realize what a gift she is to the world.

IT WAS SO POWERFUL!!!!

I can't even explain it.

And most of all, I'm so grateful to have such a supportive group of friends, mentors, church family "members" and aquaintances. I know, deep down...and I can feel a shift...that God will pick me up and dust me off and polish me down no matter what I go through from here. And I trust His guidance and intentions.

So great. God is definitely awesome!! B)

• 2 weeks later...

And most of all, I'm so grateful to have such a supportive group of friends, mentors, church family "members" and aquaintances. I know, deep down...and I can feel a shift...that God will pick me up and dust me off and polish me down no matter what I go through from here. And I trust His guidance and intentions.

So great. God is definitely awesome!! B)

I hate quoting myself, but WOW. LOL, it is so interesting to see what I write especially if I don't remember it! :o

Haha, that's fantastic. My weekend sucked horribly, but I kept hold of God's good guidance and intentions. Sometimes it's really hard to trust that things will ever turn out ok when there is such a negative spiral and plateau of emotions coursing through me. I don't have problems with my emotions, but I do occasionally have triggers and one of them was invoked last weekend through no direct fault of anyone else's.

So, I'm very very very blessed to have so many great opportunities through my church, volunteer experiences, and work experiences.

And I love that people see me as dedicated and responsible, full of potential, and retaining talent, because--truth be told--sometimes it's hard to believe that I'm any of those things.

This week, I just finished up paper editing for a publisher...a job given to me by church. I just got offered a 5-day job as a fill-in (at church) for someone who will be on vacation. Pay is decent on both!

I also experienced a GREAT choir rehearsal tonight. With Easter week coming up and Spring anew, it is often really difficult for members to stay on track. We did very well tonight, AND our choir took up 5 pews (the most members in choir we've ever had!!!! I'm talking...easily in the 20's).

It is absolutely amazing the experience we get, of abundance (flowing like a river...there's imagery in the Bible like that), when we make the commitment to stay with God and along God's side no matter how much it hurts emotionally.

LOVE <3.

I am so happy you're seeing God in everything you do, Kim!

I am so blessed and grateful to have a lovely boyfriend who accepts me for who I am!! I am grateful that even though I still get anxious sometimes over the thought of the future, he supports me and cares for me. :)

I am so happy you're seeing God in everything you do, Kim!

I am so blessed and grateful to have a lovely boyfriend who accepts me for who I am!! I am grateful that even though I still get anxious sometimes over the thought of the future, he supports me and cares for me. :)

Thank you.

And about your latter comment about your boyfriend....everyone should support you and care for you no matter what. That's how I made the transition in my life. I refuse to have anyone in it who doesn't do either of those two things.

---

I'm both blessed and incredibly grateful today.

We had an Easter Sunrise Service at a park. I came home at 12 Midnight and passed out by 12:45, and was texted at 5:30. A church couple picked me up from my house and treated me to coffee and we drove to the park.

But, it wasn't just any park. As God would inevitably have it, we held our service in a gazebo at the same park I was assaulted in almost three years ago. We stood less than a quarter mile from that spot. I knew I wouldn't have missed it for anything. I can't describe the power I felt as the sun rose and we communed together. At this point in my life, I'm able to forgive who did it to me and another person who became silenced after I admitted what had happened to me, to her.

If I really am invited to walk in God's Path and Footsteps, it's going to be in dignity and reciprocation of that Love He has for me. And, you know, I realized that during the Prayer Walk (unlike anything I've ever experienced) that commitment is a great thing--especially commitment to God's calling and guidance.

I will continue walking in that Path. In order to do that, I realized I needed to make amends and forgive. I'm done with all of that. <3.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Jaw drop! That was deeeeeeep.

Really? lol.

That is also an inspiration :)

Glad to serve as one, finally.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently watched a live seminar by a woman who has her Doctoral degree in Social Work. She was fantastic. She spoke about gratefulness as one of the key factors for what sets two groups apart (complacent vs. Successful) [she's a qualitative researcher]. One of her most astounding questions to the audience was, "Are you going to observe gratefulness or are ya'll going to practice it??" I was like :o .

I know this is Religious Resources Forum, but I think the theme ties in very well to religion/faith/whatever is your central, core belief. I was reading the book of Psalms a few days before and the night before my surgery. I came across two Psalms while flipping around. One of them is my absolute favorite. The Book of Psalms is probably my favorite book in the Old Testament, next to the Book of Job.

The interesting thing about Psalms is that, as old as it is, the Psalmist captures the very essence of what it's like to be a follower of God...in whomever he addresses: there's almost always a point of contention or struggle in his address, despite continuity in following a God with faith.

Psalm 50 is kinda cool. The Psalmist's imagery around God has to do with "light" (v. 2), and has a 'narration' of God...a one-sided dialogue of sorts. The main message underlined, according to the spoken, inspired word of God is that He commands his followers in Israel to "offer thanksgiving" (v. 14) rather than any other objective and outward sacrifice, because--in reality--animals (those used in older times for sarcificial offering) are all God's creation. Creatively written, the Psalmist separates two groups...those who "pay (their) vows to the Most High" (v. 14) and are gifted with ultimate deliverance, and those who are "wicked" (v. 16)...those who "put (God's) words behind (them)" (v. 17) and are "rebuked" (v. 21) because they "forget God" (v. 22). God threatens, in this dialogue, to "tear (the latter group) to pieces (v. 22). I know what you're thinking, "SAY WHAT. HOW CAN THERE BE WICKED? HOW CAN ONE GROUP BE THREATENED OVER THE OTHER IF GOD IS SO GOOD?"

Think about it....maybe "wicked" is a bit extreme to use to define someone whom you do not know very well. It was most proper thousands of years ago. There is something telling in the separation of the groups, though. The Psalmist insists, indirectly, that God talks of this separation in contention. The "wicked" (those with ethical dilemmas, let's say) see a "thief" (v. 18), but do not say anything; they keep company with "adulterers" (v. 18) ('adulterers' may mean more than sexual immorality), and do not mind; their "tongue(s) frame deceit" (v.19), or they lie; they "speak against (their) brother" (v.20), or speak badly of their close friends, family, etc. But, WHY? Could it be that these people focus on aspects of their relationships that bring them the most unhapiness and misery? Do they focus on negativity as a mode of self-comparison to others and subsequently do not 'measure up' to their 'fated admirers'? Does that cause them to put others down, enter into a cave of security when most insecure by being defensive, wish their successful counterparts befall their misery so they are not alone and feel better?

It leaves little room to experience the goodness of life. If God is really what we consider to be Good, where does the bad come from then? Does it make sense that this complacent group be threatened to be "torn to pieces" so that there might be room for joyfulness and gratefulness through thanksgiving to flourish, for all that is good--for God? Is it what the Psalmist hopes? Does any of this make any sense?

Psalm 116 is affirming enough to suggest this redefining and reformation of character in order to witness the "graciousness" (v. 5) of and "merciful" (v. 5) Lord. Historically, I would imagine the text to give narration to a harrowing, life-threatening event: "The pains of death surrounded me, and the pangs of Sheol laid hold of me; I found trouble and sorrow" (v. 3). I cannot testify and suggest that hunger, war, and death happen for a 'reason'--that's speculative. What I can say, though, is that the Psalmist writes with conviction that he "love(s)" (v. 1) the Lord because the Lord (who Leads, also God) "has heard his voice" (v. 1), and his pleas. There's a sense that whatever "afflict(ion)" (v. 10) the Psalmist faced, he has overcome circumstance. To him, his Faith led him out--something he could not visibly see through those "pangs" but could mentally hold onto--and there is probably no other explanation for the positive outcome in event. As a gesture of gratitude for something he could not control, which has turned in his favor, he "take(s) up the cup of salvation" (v. 13) vowing to "offer (God) the sacrifice of thanksgiving" (v. 17). He owns his own experience--for the better.

Psalm 116 is, by far, my favorite. I read it twice the night before and morning of my surgery. I thought about my life the very first time I read it months ago and how exceedingly different it is now than it ever was...how much healthier. My recent read-through reminded me of commitment--commitment to being greater than I have believed myself to be (in the scope of God). Yes, I've said things I'm not proud of; I've judged people as a result of my own trouble and sorrow; I've limited myself based on my past association with wrong groups of certain people for need of self-gratification; I've gone through anxious stages of realizing, "Oh, gosh, I can lose this all"--preventing myself from fully enJOYing my happiness and graces (by withholding GRAtitude). I realized, though, God watched over me no matter what circumstance befell me during (or after) my surgery. He has a reason, but it isn't set in stone.

The Psalmist, at second reflection, etches into my brain a new pathway for understanding. I have more than one chance to get it right--to pick up the whispers of God's calling, to follow the lessons and endure the circumstances, and to be torn enough to have to be repaired. "The Lord has dealt bountifully" (Psl. 116, v. 7) with me, insomuch that I have time to "rest" (v.7) and heal.

Thanks be to God.

xo.

I Am blessed For the life I have.. For knowing what life is about for getting a Second Chance in friendship or in anything I am blessed for being ALIVE!! everyday i am here i thank god. seriously. because We neer know when are times up.. I am blessed i am growing up and maturing.

i Am not the Childish girl that didn't care :)

i became more positive in everything i do now

and i am learning to apperacite things and not care what people think

I have changed as a person and i am blessed for that <3

I am blessed to have friends who are so great and wonderful

i am so blessed with life :)

Wow everyone!! I am so happy with all of your blessings and gratitude :) Hello to people I haven't met yet or haven't talked to in a while!

I am blessed because I am getting an education at college and have the opportunity to do almost anything I want after graduation, God willing.

I am blessed because God loves me just the way I am!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am blessed because God loves me just the way I am!!

I LEGIT JUST SAID THIS TONIGHT DURING SERVICE! We opened up the floor to state our gratitude (I led a reflection on gratitude and gratefulness tonight. Well, I preached, in other words.) The group is REALLY shy (grr sometimes), and I said, "I am grateful that God has given me the message that He (She, It, etc.) Loves me just the way I am."

It is so wonderful to realize that! And important!

---

And, I'm very blessed. God's given me the opportunity to assume more leadership at my church and I'm happy to step up to the plate and just do things. Tonight's sermon went incredibly well.

I laughed so much during our service project we wound up temporarily scrapping. I thanked the intern for driving me home (a mile out of the way) and I said, "I don't know I can ever thank anyone for all these rides to and from places."

She responded, "Keep preaching!"

I went, "So that you don't have to at night? Hahaha."

She replied, "haha, nooo! So that you keep leading. You're a leader, you know, Kim."

That was a fantastic moment. I'm glad God's placed the exact, perfect moments in my life to come to this point, so that I can be--in the words of one author--"the greatest version of the grandest vision" that I can ever imagine to be through God.

Edited by Kim.
  • 1 month later...

No one's posted, so I'm double posting!! The rule doesn't count when it's been more than a month since I last posted, right? :P

God has blessed me in more ways than I can currently explain or know right now.

I'm grateful that God's placed this wonderful girl in my life and if she saw this she would probably get mad at me for saying it lmao. Our personalities complement each other's pretty well. I'm also grateful to have these friendships that have grown and become supportive on both sides.

God has blessed me with stability and confidence in my life. I sat in a meeting with my pastor today. I told her about things which have bothered me, namely listening to people's hardship stories which they share with me and witnessing down moments in friends' lives. They don't bother me, as in irk me, but they bother me because I really care about people. I've cried for other people, which is a first. I also shared my opinions on faithful living and life, as well as homosexuality and the Bible and sin (huge topic past couple weeks) and ministry work. At the end of my conversation, and throughout it, my pastor shook her head several times and said, "I can't believe how much you've grown. It's so noticeable, and your opinions on theology and theory are developing really well. Phenomenal. So great to see it." I'm grateful I've come a long way and am proud of the position I'm at now.

I have also been blessed with wonderful, wonderful teachers and educators who have really pushed me to think critically and who've fostered growing curiosity. A woman, whom I regard with a lot of respect, leads my "light"/applied philosophy group and we got into a HUGE discussion about society, law and sin, Buddhism and Christianity, and the brain, and I kept grappling for a truth/answer in connecting unlike sections of life (I love to do this...I'm a geek lol) and she went, "Whoa, Kim. Kim, have you thought about your career path?"

"Yeah, I'm gonna be a social worker."

"No, hun, you're not just going to be a social worker. You're bigger than that."

"What do you mean?"

"You have the power to influence, come on. Think about it, what do you see yourself doing in 5 years? Seriously."

"Well, I want to gain field experience, go on to seminary school. Eventually be a professor or something."

"Bigger."

"....Well, I have a passion to motivate people and change things."

"Kim, you better start thinking about this. You can be a public speaker, director of an organization...something like that...change people's lives."

"Hmm. Yeah."

"Start thinking about it."

I am insanely grateful I have people in my life like that to encourage me and believe in what I can do. I'm indebted these people, but grateful to God. :D

they are, many people dont have any of these things.

I'm grateful for understanding people in my life and for God who never abandons me. :)

I am grateful for life, for a place to sleep, and food to eat. All very serious things when you think about it.

~Rev

Indeed, and many people who are down on 'luck' fail to acknowledge even these little but necessary things sometimes.

I've done it before.

I'm grateful for understanding people in my life and for God who never abandons me. :)

Of course!

-----

I'm grateful for the gifts which God has given me. I was able to use one of them tonight--cooking--and again astounded my sister and her son.

I'm also grateful my prayers were answered this week for finding a job. Income's been really tight since my surgery a few months ago. I didn't just get one job, but two jobs (looong story), and though as overwhelming as they can possibly become, I know God has a reward for me at the end of them. :D I will have three jobs now, funnn lol :D

:)

• 4 months later...

Ι'm really gratefull that I had the chances, the support of my family and the financial aid to study all my life and be educated.

Education should be free for everyone and not the privilege of the rich!

I just got back from my local Church. They started this education/tutoring programme for the poor kids who can't afford to pay for private lessons. Here in Greece we have public schools, yes, but the education is awful; teachers don't care. So for the kids to actually be able to pass their final tests and enter a uni they like, they have to pay for private lessons and they cost TOO much. So with everything that's been going on here, most families can't afford it anymore.

So our local Church started this programme for the poor kids and asks any teachers to volunteer and give help in any course, completely free of charge! So I volunteered!! And I feel so happy! It's a lot of work and a lot of responsibility, and I don't know if I get picked because I'm kinda young but I really hope I do, because as far as education is concerned, I don't care about money!

Just wanted to share this with you guys! I'm so happy a lot of Churches take this initiative during those desperate times! It shows a lot to people!

• 1 year later...

I went to a meeting in Baltimore last week and someone smashed out one of my car windows and took my gps.

However, I'm thankful that I'm OK...the GPS wasn't worth much (I got it on ebay for $25)...AND the theif left my inline skates in the car. Plus, I found someone that replaced my window for a very reasonable price. Everything worked out.