The Emma-Watson.net Forum

US to cut 1.8 million dollars in aid to Pakistan

I read that the US is going to cut 1.8 million dollars in aid to Pakistan. I'm not being racist but I think they should because I find it hard to believe that the Pakistan goverment and army didn't know that the world's number one terrorist was living only a few miles away from the Pakistan capital. Also, another point that my father made was that the US didn't tell the Pakistan goverment that they were going to attack because Bin Laden most likely would've been told and moved. Anyway, what are your thoughts?

I read that the US is going to cut 1.8 million dollars in aid to Pakistan. I'm not being racist but I think they should because I find it hard to believe that the Pakistan goverment and army didn't know that the world's number one terrorist was living only a few miles away from the Pakistan capital. Also, another point that my father made was that the US didn't tell the Pakistan goverment that they were going to attack because Bin Laden most likely would've been told and moved. Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Oh definitely. The Pakistani intelligence community has more leaks than Swiss cheese. I sure that the US wouldn't inform any government of an attack if it was deemed imperative to keep secrecy. If Osama was hiding out in the UK of all places, there would be no question that the US would still strike without notifying the British government. Thing is, US relations with Pakistan was extremely volatile and sensitive prior to the neutralization of bin Laden. Without Pakistani cooperation, the US wouldn't have much freedom to operate within their borders. The only reason why we were cooperating with Pakistan was that we believed that bin Laden was hiding out there; he knew he wasn't safe in Afghanistan.

I think I was watching somewhere talking about Pakistani diplomacy: Monday, Wednesday and Fridays they're our allies. Enemies Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Unsure usually on Sundays. It's that back and forth.

It is million but I think the US should just stop funding all together. We're in so much debt because we're spending all of our money on foreign issues.

And quite frankly, I don't think the Pakistani govt. wasn't much help in OEF.

I'm sorry, but what's the OEF?

Operation Enduring Freedom. If you ever see "OEF-1" that was the initial invasion force in Afghanistan, "OEF-2" was the following manhunt and offensive operations against Taliban and al Qaeda forces, "OEF-3" is what we're in now: the continuing manhunt (not anymore obviously :P) and reconstruction.

Edited by sirbenedictvs

It's been hard to cooperate with the Pakistani government when US personnel need to gather intelligence or operate within their borders. There was so much controversy when US drones were eliminating the opposition force in and around the Peshawar region of Pakistan (a heavily disputed region). And again, it's tough for coalition forces to engage and/or pursue Taliban and al Qaeda fighters when they cross into Pakistan. Apparently we don't violate borders, even when in hot pursuit.

I think this is a good thing!

The US has no money so for sure they should be cutting back on foreign aid. I also don't really understand why the US gives so much money for foreign aid. Aren't they supposed to take care of themselves first?

I think this is a good thing!

The US has no money so for sure they should be cutting back on foreign aid. I also don't really understand why the US gives so much money for foreign aid. Aren't they supposed to take care of themselves first?

True. But we need to have friends right? Even though some of those friends are less than reputable. Although I was quite intrigued of the opinions of one Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian on Americans. I won't post the video but look him up and you'll get the jist of what I'm trying to say.

Edited by sirbenedictvs

True. But we need to have friends right? Even though some of those friends are less than reputable. Although I was quite intrigued of the opinions of one Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian on Americans. I won't post the video but look him up and you'll get the jist of what I'm trying to say.

Since when do you pay people to be your friend? I understand that we need allies, but we don't need to pay them. Idk it just frustrates me. There is so much that needs fixing in this country before we go and try and help others.

Since when do you pay people to be your friend? I understand that we need allies, but we don't need to pay them. Idk it just frustrates me. There is so much that needs fixing in this country before we go and try and help others.

A nation asks for aid, we aid them. They need help fighting someone, we'll help. They need guns, we send guns. It just so happens that much of diplomacy and coalitions involve money. Trade can sometimes be a gray area. Some of that money went to humanitarian reasons the rest went to defense funding.