The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Pet Peeves

Most people have them(notice how I didn't say everybody, as one of my biggest pet peeves are generalizations). Why not share them...

Well you could ask the same question vice versa: Why share them...but that's not really helpful to the topic.

So I'll start.

- Generalizations

Boy, I don't even know where to start. I have it most of the time when people try to explain what "Autism" is all about because that's a subject that is near and dear to me. But also things like generalizations about gender, age, faith/non faith. Really, just...don't.

- I'm a man/woman/dog/cat/kid/bazooka card

It has to do with the above. But this time people use it on their selves. "I can't be considerate and listen to you...I'm a man!" Basically, the whole reason why I cannot watch: "According to Jim".

- Internet Laziness.

I don't expect people to write infallible English on an international forum. Hell, I'll probably make tons of mistakes but at least I try to write decent and in a way that gets my message across. It's the "Not even trying" part that really gets on my nerves. It's only considerate for the people who read your message.

I got more but for now...this is enough. Please write down your pet peeves.

Pet peeves are by definition not really rational...so don't judge me to harshly :P

- Internet Laziness.

I don't expect people to write infallible English on an international forum. Hell, I'll probably make tons of mistakes but at least I try to write decent and in a way that gets my message across. It's the "Not even trying" part that really gets on my nerves. It's only considerate for the people who read your message.

Exactly, and of course i don't mean typos or any grammatical mistake, especially us, non native speakers can make. But all those "dnt" "cnt" "wut" really upset me. Unless you're actually texting someone and you're in a major hurry.

Also i have stated in a previous similar thread that some of my pet peeves are:

- People who comment loudly in the movies.

- People who drive slow in the fast line.

-When people complain, but don't do anything about the situation. (When it's obvious that they can do something)

-Able-bodied people who park in disabled car parks.

-Spoiled children. Oh my god, i can lose every last sign of jedi patience i owe.

And my biggest pet peeve: People who don't say "thank you" or even smile back when you help them with something, or do something nice.

I didn't know what Pet Peeve is, but then I know xD

- Any cognitive distortions (Generalizations, All-or-nothing thinking, Personalization, Emotional reasoning, Magnification and minimization, Catastrophizing, Jumping to conclusions, Disqualifying the positive, Mental filter and Labeling and mislabeling)

- Annoying people who sit next to you even when there are other seats available.

- People who walk very slow in front of me and I can not pass by his side.

- People who does not understand anything what I'm saying or explaining

- Loud Music on street when I am at home / People who listens to music loudly in inappropriate sites

- People who turns up in my house and I didn't expect them

These are some of my Pet Peeves xD

~ People who chew gum with their mouth wide open, so we hear sloppy chewing, it's disgusting >.>

~ Slow walkers! A group of friends who take up the whole path and you can't get past and people who suddenly stop in the middle of the path and you have to walk around them, argh.

~ Drivers that don't give way to you, any time of the day especially peek hour. I mean, we have to get somewhere too, and they fully ignore pedestrians and only care about themselves.

~ Starers. Sometimes it's ok, but when you're sitting opposite someone who won't stop staring at you, it's so awkward.

I'm going to jump on the internet laziness band wagon, I hate text speak when someone's typing. There is no need for it, typing doesn't take that much time up and it takes people longer to work out what your trying to say.

I also can't stand able-bodied people who queue for the lifts when there are stairs close by and people with wheelchairs, pushchairs or young children also wanting to use the lift. I've actually seen someone run to get the lift when it stopped before, seriously if you can run to the lift you can use the stairs.

People who are rude in general.

People who can't help but lie. Especially obvious lie's which have no reason as well.

Someone who you explain something to in the simplest terms who then looks at you as if you went a mile a minute and are intentionally trying to make it harder on them, for instance,

Me: So to take the picture all you do is press this button down (demonstration) =).

Person: o_O, ok look, you're going to have to slow down, you young people may get this stuff but it's far beyond me (evil look).

Me: (secretly thinking "fml")

True story.

People being loud and just plain rude during a movie....people who text during a movie can get to me too.

Close-minded people really bother me.

When someone thinks they are the best at everything they do all the time. (show-offs---basically)

Someone who you explain something to in the simplest terms who then looks at you as if you went a mile a minute and are intentionally trying to make it harder on them, for instance,

Me: So to take the picture all you do is press this button down (demonstration) =).

Person: o_O, ok look, you're going to have to slow down, you young people may get this stuff but it's far beyond me (evil look).

True story.

Have you been talking to my mum?

My mum is like that with everything, she winds me up because she wants to use the internet and can use it but insists on asking me to walk her through everything. The best is when she is on the phone and she'll just say ''what do I do now?'' or ''what does that mean?'' ....I don't know I can't see your screen over the phone!!!

True story.

My mum is like that with everything, she winds me up because she wants to use the internet and can use it but insists on asking me to walk her through everything. The best is when she is on the phone and she'll just say ''what do I do now?'' or ''what does that mean?'' ....I don't know I can't see your screen over the phone!!!

I worked at a Help Desk...gah you won't believe how difficult sometimes people can make the easiest things. You do learn to how to handle it so I don't get upset easily about that kind of stuff...anymore. Except when my father calls me three times in succession for the same thing...

- Loud Music on street when I am at home / People who listens to music loudly in inappropriate sites

~ People who chew gum with their mouth wide open, so we hear sloppy chewing, it's disgusting >.>

agree

might add more later

-When people complain, but don't do anything about the situation. (When it's obvious that they can do something)

And my biggest pet peeve: People who don't say "thank you" or even smile back when you help them with something, or do something nice.

~ Slow walkers! A group of friends who take up the whole path and you can't get past and people who suddenly stop in the middle of the path and you have to walk around them, argh.

^I second all of the above.

-People who are rude to or yell at cashiers.

-When someone puts an empty soda can/bottle back in the fridge. Why, why would you do that, why?

-When someone texts you then you reply in an instant and then they text you back after an hour. I mean, you just texted me you can't be that busy,

Edited by Dina-chan

-When someone texts you then you reply in an instant and then they text you back after an hour. I mean, you just texted me you can't be that busy,

In the same category: People who text you and then text you again after a couple of minutes asking you why you haven't replied yet...

My mom does the same thing :/

I am a grammer Nazi. Haha.

:P Couldnt help myself!

People wearing sunglasses when Im talking to them, I find it very rude.

People who automatically put sunglasses on when they get into a car to drive, even when its dark!!

People calling all Hardcore music either "Emo screamo crap" or "Evil".

People saying that Hardcore takes absolutely no talent, when a lot of the time they dont play in the normal 4/4 time signature.

People saying that screaming in Hardcore is just plain screaming, even though its manipulating false vocal chords and takes years to perfect.

People listening to music just because its popular.

People who arnt themselves because they dont want to be different.

When Im working in a supermarket and people put bags of chips on top of the light bulbs!

Oh my gosh where do i begin?

- People who want me to give them the difference they were overcharged by and yell at me for overcharging them by 2p. Getting irate over 2p just makes me angry lol. Id understand if it was a couple of quid, but no.

- People who like to get into the fast lane on the road but hog it so i cant overtake a lorry or a tractor. Selfish people, tut tut.

- People who prank my mobile when i dont text back quick enough.

- Slow walking people

- People who stop in the supermarket and chat with their friends, blocking everything with their trollies.

- People who moan about the most stupid things, things that dont deserve a whole conversation on.

- Queue jumpers

- Cars that tailgate me, just makes me go slower so i guess i win on this one.

so many more, but i didn't want to bore you all.

In the same category: People who text you and then text you again after a couple of minutes asking you why you haven't replied yet...

Haha-I love psycho's. I have a ''friend'' who's a bit of (ok a huge) stalker when it comes to guys. I remember once she text a guy and was moaning that he hadn't text back so as a joke I said text him back saying ''why haven't you text me? are you with a girl? why don't you like me? what's wrong with me?'' and she just looked at me deadly serious and said ''I would but I did that with the last guy I was dating and I think it scared him off''

Since then we've come to realise how much of a stalker she is, she's a teacher and has been known to take photo's of the teaching assistant she liked through the classroom window while he was in the yard with the students.....seriously, these are the sort of people teaching kids these days.....

When Im working in a supermarket and people put bags of chips on top of the light bulbs!

Do people do that often?

Oh my gosh where do i begin?

- People who want me to give them the difference they were overcharged by and yell at me for overcharging them by 2p. Getting irate over 2p just makes me angry lol. Id understand if it was a couple of quid, but no.

- People who like to get into the fast lane on the road but hog it so i cant overtake a lorry or a tractor. Selfish people, tut tut.

- People who prank my mobile when i dont text back quick enough.

- Slow walking people

- People who stop in the supermarket and chat with their friends, blocking everything with their trollies.

- People who moan about the most stupid things, things that dont deserve a whole conversation on.

- Queue jumpers

so many more, but i didn't want to bore you all.

I agree with all of these, even the one I deleted before deciding I was just going to say I agree with them all.

-Another one of mine is people who make up stupid excuses for not coming to things I'm organising, I have a few friends who make up the stupidest reasons. If they don't want to come or have something else on then just say so, I won't be offended, I'm more offended by the stupid reasons.

-sort of related but people who go out of their way not to offend me, I said I liked a dress the other day (for a toddler) and my friend said ooo yeah I love it (She was looking for a dress for her daughter) then tried making up reasons not to buy it (I know she has completely different taste in kids clothes to me) and bought another one, but I was like seriously if you don't like it just say. I won't be offended, its a dress I said I liked, end of.

-People who are rude to or yell at cashiers.

being a cashier, I need to throw out a huge THANK YOU to this. I work in a tourist center and people can be SO rude! They can also be extremely stupid *sigh*.

So on that note, my pet peeves are most tourists (sorry, I just hate people)

Ungratefulness

Ignorance (purposefully)

Slow walkers that take up the whole sidewalk

FLIES, gahh

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I have right now.

- People who comment loudly in the movies.

These >.<

Slow-walkers and really really stupid people who just don't think and ask stupid questions do bother me, just because it's easier to just ask than to process information.

Imagine this scenario: Building that has a lot of visibly grey smoke coming out of it, huge red fighterfighter trucks outside, a firefighter climbing on a ladder, loads of by-standers outside curiously watching what's going on, the street being shut down to deal with the problem and yes, get this, even a few news cameramen filming the situation.

And this woman walks up to me (I was a bystander too, mind you) and asks: "Is it a fire?"

And my mind immediately thinks: "Christ, what do you THINK it is? No clue at all?" or "No, the firefighters just gathered around to make a huge barbeque and invited the neighbours and the news guys to come film the happy ocassion"

Of course, I went with the polite "Yes, it was a fire, but they don't know what caused it yet".

Seriously. Lamest question ever. And true story.

more

-When people spit when they're out walking in public

-When people play with the chewing gum in their mouths with their fingers

-When people use the public toilets and leave a mess behind

-People who take a long time ordering food when there is a line-up, just decide before your turn

-When you call someone and they talk to everybody else but you >.

To get to my school, you have to drive on really bumpy dirt road and pretty much every morning my brother and I get stuck behind a car that a snail could outrun. Yeah, dirt roads are hard to drive on but you're never gonna get anywhere if you decide to be mad slow. Then there's the taxis (which are more like large vans) which stop in the middle of the road to pick up/drop someone off. They're just always in the way, especially when you're trying to get somewhere.