The Emma-Watson.net Forum

This could all blow up, haha. Many people have VERY strong opinions about contraception and birth control, especially in a religious context. I know that Catholicism is a very strong proponent of anti-birth control.

Personally, I think that being on birth control depends on the person. Obviously not all girls are going to be on a contraceptive whether they are having sex or not. However, it is also very naive of the Catholic Church to assume that abstinence education works, because it has actually been proven that is hasn't. Being educated about sexual health and the effects of having sex (not just pregnancy, but STD's, etc) is very, very important. I would rather see a girl who is having sex and is also religious on birth control to avoid an unwanted pregnancy. The combination of contraceptives and education is so, so, SO important.

Of course, there are also teenagers that don't have sex. It is rare, but it is found. For myself personally, I am not on the Pill anymore because I'm not having sex. When I was with my boyfriend, I was on it, just IN CASE we decided to have sex. It never happened (and honestly, I'm happy that it didn't. But I digress.) It also helped my skin and other *cough* female stuff *cough*.

What are your opinions on it? Do you think abstinence education works? What is working for you personally (if you want to share). This is such a controversial topic, here it is especially important to be respectful of people. *Goes into moderator mode*

Well I'm not a religious person so I agree with contraception. I know some religions are against it because it is written in the bible that God wants us to reproduce. I think this statement is taken a little too literary. I mean that when the bible was written life was much more difficult and death rate was much higher, like if a couple had 7 children, 4 of them would die before the age on 10 so it made sense at the time that you should have many children. I know birth control pills didn't exist at the time (even tho they still had ways of keeping unwanted pregnancies from happening)but this is a different world

Anyway religion has always been a powerful thing and it has always been used as a mean of defining communities and imposing rules, but the world has changed so I think that the human interpretation on religion and it's rules should change as well. Just think about it, we are already having problems with planet overpopulation and social problems with teenagers spinning out of control. I know most religions don't agree with sex before marriage as well, and I get why, but it has become a common thing and it's good that at least some people use methods of contraception.

I seriously hope I haven't offended anyone with what I have written here and if I have, I apologize, it wasn't intentionally :)

Well I'm not a religious person so I agree with contraception. I know some religions are against it because it is written in the bible that God wants us to reproduce. I think this statement is taken a little too literary. I mean that when the bible was written life was much more difficult and death rate was much higher, like if a couple had 7 children, 4 of them would die before the age on 10 so it made sense at the time that you should have many children. I know birth control pills didn't exist at the time (even tho they still had ways of keeping unwanted pregnancies from happening)but this is a different world

Anyway religion has always been a powerful thing and it has always been used as a mean of defining communities and imposing rules, but the world has changed so I think that the human interpretation on religion and it's rules should change as well. Just think about it, we are already having problems with planet overpopulation and social problems with teenagers spinning out of control. I know most religions don't agree with sex before marriage as well, and I get why, but it has become a common thing and it's good that at least some people use methods of contraception.

I seriously hope I haven't offended anyone with what I have written here and if I have, I apologize, it wasn't intentionally :)

This is such a great thought, and sad to say, I didn't even think about this point of view! You are right that the point was probably to have many kids because the mortality rate was so high. Also, I think maybe it is something to do with "we are all made in God's image", or something along that mentality, but honestly, I'm not sure. I also think ancient contraception/abortion methods (like herbs and stuff) are really interesting. The women back then had resource, more than we even think.

With my own personal experience, I saw the hardcore Catholic thing within my own family. Well, heard about it. My gram is really, REALLY Catholic and so she didn't believe in birth control (she was also having kids starting in 1946), so when she wanted to stop having kids, she just moved out to the couch and my grandfather got the bed to himself. To this day, she sleeps on the couch even though my grandfather is long gone.

Well said! In total agreement with you. :) I think it's a shame Catholicism hasn't evolved with time and is still unable to see the need for contraception and sexual education for everyone. Unfortunately a lot of people listen to the Pope and other big leaders within Catholicism and as long as they are against contraception things will be difficult to change. Of course not everything is to blame on Catholicism, don't get me wrong! But I believe they need to change in order to try and evoke focus on the need to educate people about sex and contraception.

The most important part in all this is educating about STD's, at least AIDS which is obviously the biggest problem since people DIE from it. It's a shame so many people have to die/catch HIV virus/develop aids just because some old men refuse to change their opinion. Sigh.

Edited by Mrs Duck

I was about to write exacally what you did. Well said m'love. xD

Well said! In total agreement with you. :) I think it's a shame Catholicism hasn't evolved with time and is still unable to see the need for contraception and sexual education for everyone. Unfortunately a lot of people listen to the Pope and other big leaders within Catholicism and as long as they are against contraception things will be difficult to change. Of course not everything is to blame on Catholicism, don't get me wrong! But I believe they need to change in order to try and evoke focus on the need to educate people about sex and contraception.

The most important part in all this is educating about STD's, at least AIDS which is obviously the biggest problem since people DIE from it. It's a shame so many people have to die/catch HIV virus/develop aids just because some old men refuse to change their opinion. Sigh.

This is a really interesting point, and the debate is definitely strong over Catholicism moving towards the 21st century. Personally, I feel this is something that people either love or hate about Catholicism, and most religions for that matter - they either like the antiquity of it, or feel that the religion should move towards modern times. It is true that a lot of people listen to the religious leaders in terms of contraception and so I believe that religious leaders can use this to their advantage and help influence people about AIDS and the importance of using protection. Unfortunately, I DOUBT this will ever happen just because the whole point of religion is to preserve "morals".

The thing that frustrates me the most is that many people know that AIDS, STD'S etc, exist, but they choose to believe that they can't get it or wont and they might have a sad realization or wake up call someday. This is why sex-education starting from a young age is sooooo sosososo important!!

All i'm going to say is that contraception is better than abortion. What i mean is, yes the Church can be against it, but let's face it teens today don't even care what the Church or religion says. They want to have sex because all they're being brainwashed with nowadays since a very young age is sex and how you're "weird" if you don't have sex at you 13s or something.

So teens or unmarried couples have to use contraception in my opinion because they really don't want to get pregnant at that specific moment in their lives, and if they get pregnant abortion is always the easy solution for them. Which is NOT! Abortion is a high sin, contraception is not :/

I think it would be interesting to hear what kind of sex education people have received since we come from so many countries (and beliefs). (:

I'm sure things have changed and developed since I was at school (I'm 23 now) but I'll tell what was going on then. We (I'm from Finland) learned about conception in second grade (when we were 8 years old). Then about puberty in fourth and fifth grades (10 & 11 years old). In secondary school / junior high we continued learning about puberty. Then we were also educated about different STDs and contraceptions. Themes were also discussed at meetings with the school nurse. In upper secondary school / high school there was some sex ed and each student were given a condom.

Generally I'm happy about the sex ed we were given at school. Maybe in high school there could've been a bit more of it.

Interesting topic nonetheless. I would also like to hear from those who don't think it's appropriate for schools to give sex education. There are so many opinions and views! Religion being only one of them.

This is a really interesting point, and the debate is definitely strong over Catholicism moving towards the 21st century. Personally, I feel this is something that people either love or hate about Catholicism, and most religions for that matter - they either like the antiquity of it, or feel that the religion should move towards modern times. It is true that a lot of people listen to the religious leaders in terms of contraception and so I believe that religious leaders can use this to their advantage and help influence people about AIDS and the importance of using protection. Unfortunately, I DOUBT this will ever happen just because the whole point of religion is to preserve "morals".

The thing that frustrates me the most is that many people know that AIDS, STD'S etc, exist, but they choose to believe that they can't get it or wont and they might have a sad realization or wake up call someday. This is why sex-education starting from a young age is sooooo sosososo important!!

I keep hoping they'll change, they are bound to sooner or later.

I think it would be interesting to hear what kind of sex education people have received since we come from so many countries (and beliefs). (:

I'm sure things have changed and developed since I was at school (I'm 23 now) but I'll tell what was going on then. We (I'm from Finland) learned about conception in second grade (when we were 8 years old). Then about puberty in fourth and fifth grades (10 & 11 years old). In secondary school / junior high we continued learning about puberty. Then we were also educated about different STDs and contraceptions. Themes were also discussed at meetings with the school nurse. In upper secondary school / high school there was some sex ed and each student were given a condom.

Generally I'm happy about the sex ed we were given at school. Maybe in high school there could've been a bit more of it.

Interesting topic nonetheless. I would also like to hear from those who don't think it's appropriate for schools to give sex education. There are so many opinions and views! Religion being only one of them.

At the age of 8? Wow that's so young. In Swedish school (or where I was at) we started talking about puberty in 5th grade (age 11), and then it's tradition (all over the country) to educate the 8th graders (14 year olds) about sex, everyone has a few lessons about sex and the body in Biology. However I did not attend these lessons so I'm not sure what exactly was talked about but I believe it's about contraception, sex and sexual orientations, how the body works around sex and how babies are made. Which is all very interesting but far from enough. But I think the main issue is to spread knowledge about STD's in areas where there is no information in the media about it, like in huge parts of Africa.

Yeah, in my school we started learning about puberty in grade 5 (10/11 years old) and then once we got to middle school, grades 6-8 we learned the basics of human anatomy in bio, science, stuff like that. I can't remember if we had "health" class. We probably did but it was so long ago, I forget. Then once we went to high school, we started health classes and stuff. In my junior/senior year we got a new health teacher and technically our program was supposed to be abstinence only but she broke the rules and we did stuff like 'the condom game', where we had to put the steps of putting a condom on in order first, talked about safe sex, etc. I feel very lucky that over the years our school system was comprehensive enough to learn about safe sex and stuff. Not perfect obviously, but it was a good start. The rest is up to the parents and everything.

Thanks for your answers! They were really interesting. (:

At the age of 8? Wow that's so young.

Yeah I know! But we weren't taught much. Just the basics about how the sperm fertilizes the egg. (I remember drawing a picture about the egg and the little fellows. xD)The more detailed and anatomical stuff came later.

Thanks for your answers! They were really interesting. (:

Yeah I know! But we weren't taught much. Just the basics about how the sperm fertilizes the egg. (I remember drawing a picture about the egg and the little fellows. xD)The more detailed and anatomical stuff came later.

I think that's really interesting actually! In 5th grade we learned about periods and stuff like that, mostly the human body. Sex ed didn't come until later but I think it's important to know how the body works first!

I feel that it is important for every kid to have a proper education about this stuff, because it is really crucial for for them to develop into smart, educated adults and become functioning members of society.

• 1 month later...

Although I understand with religious conservatives who want to challenge the youth to delay sexual activity for a while, I totally disagree with their message that a condom/birth control is a provision for sin. I understand Catholics aren't supposed to use birth control, but I think that your daughter's/son's safety and her/his future are worth overlooking that rule, don't you?

Abstinence only doesn't work because it's like telling you to solve a problem by pretending it doesn't exist. Responsible, safe sex is a basic life skill like managing a budget. Imagine learning nothing about math your entire life because you've been told it's evil or perverted or sinful or whatever. Then when you're in high school, you're suddenly thrown into algebra and expected to know exactly what to do. Abstinence is an illogical approach to sex and the word "education" should never be used in conjunction abstinence programs because there is no education going on. There is only ignorance.

Although I understand with religious conservatives who want to challenge the youth to delay sexual activity for a while, I totally disagree with their message that a condom/birth control is a provision for sin. I understand Catholics aren't supposed to use birth control, but I think that your daughter's/son's safety and her/his future are worth overlooking that rule, don't you?

Abstinence only doesn't work because it's like telling you to solve a problem by pretending it doesn't exist. Responsible, safe sex is a basic life skill like managing a budget. Imagine learning nothing about math your entire life because you've been told it's evil or perverted or sinful or whatever. Then when you're in high school, you're suddenly thrown into algebra and expected to know exactly what to do. Abstinence is an illogical approach to sex and the word "education" should never be used in conjunction abstinence programs because there is no education going on. There is only ignorance.

I love your analogy! I think the issue is, many people don't understand why the catholic church has the stance that it does. To them, as with most major religions, the celebration of life is the biggest gift that God can give. To take that away from someone is not only killing them but pretty much dissing God because He has a plan for everyone even before they are born. So to stop a life from being born is like the ultimate diss towards God.

I personally and not sure what I believe about this. I'd like to think that I have a plan, and that there is something that knows exactly where I'm going to go in life and what I'm going to do, but I honestly have no idea. I think that all of us, growing up in the generation that we did, it is fairly progressive and to support pro choice and birth control is something that just comes naturally to most teenagers. I think a lot of the time, religious teenagers are looked down upon by other teenagers because their mentality isn't seen as as "modern" or progressive or what have you and I think that many religious teenagers struggle with trying to find the balance between their religion and what their friends are saying. It's really difficult! And that wasn't in response to anyone, I was just thinking about it as I read the response. :)