The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Harry and Ron Thread

I agree, as I also thought the movie was going to put a bit more emphasis on H/R early on. Ron's the one Harry hugs first in Privet Drive, and he's also the one who stops Harry from leaving while at The Burrow.

Everything seemed to point in the right direction and I truly thought we were going to have that Silver Doe conversation between them.

Unfortunately, the lack of this moment has truly ruined the movie for me. This part was too important to leave it out.

Even though we saw improvement in regards to R/Hr, the fact that H/R and H/G relationships are still so cold and underdeveloped left me quite sad and cheated.

I truly hope H/R deep friendship is shown in part 2, otherwise I have a feeling I won't be seeing the movies much once the story is completely told.

Edited by vida
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with both of you. The beginning was perfect, just too good to be true almost, with Ron hugging Harry first then Harry asking him to accompany him...

then they had to go and ruin it.

And unforunately I doubt we'll get more moments to make up for it in part 2. There isn't really a significant canon moment I can remember (please correct me if I'm mistaken) between Ron and Harry since everything's so full on, and what are the chances of WB adding an extra scene just to build their frienship? I mean, if it were adding a scene to show non-existent feelings between two characters then sure, but just to demonstrate a deep character-defining friendship between the hero and his best friend - why bother? :rolleyes:<_<

I do apologise for my cynicism, but you know what it's like.

I absolutely agree. Even if I want to remain hopeful about H/R in the 2nd part, that won't happen unless we get a non-canon moment which strengthens their friendship - Maybe something about Ron saving Harry (again) while in the room of requirement?

I hardly doubt it though, as they will be running away continuously to have the time to sit down and have a chat.

I feel so disheartened about missing out on such a wonderful H/R moment as SD was!

I know, as melodramatic as it sounds, it really did ruin the movie a bit for me. I think I could even have forgiven them for Malfoy Manor had they got the Silver Doe right, but that one thing... I don't know, it just represented a series worth of character/relationship mistreatment which we haven't quite seen the back of.

Ugh, I'm going to stop being so pessimistic now.

I'm looking forward to trio moments in DH2 anyway, let's just hope they don't do an HBP at the end...

Ahem. I'll start again. DH2 will be awesome. Whatever happens. Yeah. :)

Don't worry Katharine. I don't think you are being melodramatic about it AL ALL (maybe because I'm being such too? lol)

It was an extremely important moment for H/R - THE BEST one by far imo. And I think it's completely normal for us to feel sad about such wonderful conversation being ommited.

Oh well, we'll always have that moment in the book, won't we?? :yesyes:

We should have a good moment in DH part 2 too. I hope they keep Ron's line to Draco 'This is the second time we save your life tonight'. Not exactly H/R exclusively though, but quite close, as now Ron is confident about his abilities, has won his girl, and doesn't feel second to anyone any more. :)

Oh yes, please, I'm begging!!! Molly Weasley's phrase HAS TO be included. She is the one who needs to kill Bellatrix, not anyone else. She was not only defending Ginny there, but also avenging Fred. A mother's rage is to be expected!!!

I know this might be out of place here but we don't really have a Harry and Neville thread.

I always thought it was interesting that Harry is called "the Boy who Lived" when Voldemort could have just as easily according to prophecy chosen to kill Neville, so Neville in a way, was also "the Boy who Lived" and isn't it intersting that it's the second "Boy who lived" who destroys the final horcrux in Nagini. I've always wondered why it was that JKR chose a different person to destroy each horcrux and why she chose Neville specifically to destroy the final horcrux.

I kind of feel like Neville get's overlooked by many people in the Harry Potter story, but he really does play such a vital part throughout the books.

You are always bringing out interesting topics, Jon. :)

I think Neville is purposedly overlooked by JK Rowling (much like Voldemort does) throughout the series as she didn't really want to bring much attention to him until OotP...

However, the fact that it was Neville the one to kill Nagini in the end, makes you really think if he wouldn't have been as skilled as Harry had he been the one to be marked as an equal by Voldemort.

It was only in Voldemort's mind to feel more threatened by the half-blood than the pure-blood, as it looks like both boys would have lived up to the challenge regardless.

I love Neville, and he's another character who doesn't seem to get the admiration he deserves. As much as I adore Luna, I think Neville is both more interesting and more important to the series, whereas the movies and some areas of fandom would seem to suggest otherwise. Neville and Luna are pretty much equal as both Harry's friends and contributors to the story, but I don't think enough focus is placed on Neville by fans for his almost-chosen status, and I regret that his storyline has been pretty much left out of the movies.

I absolutely agree. Neville, even when overlooked, is quite important very early on.

I compare him to Ron in the sense that neither of them were very confident about their own abilities at the beginning of the series.

However, both boys grew up to become heroes as the story thickened. Neville is so important that, by the end of the series, he is a Professor at Hogwarts - and we know that not many people are qualified enough to become such (except for Lockhart, perhaps :D). Even Trelawney showed to be up to the challenge of being the Divination teacher in the end...

I would not be surprised if we get confirmation from Rowling that Neville will some day become the Headmaster of the school.

He's not only academic but has also been in the field, much like Dumbledore or McGonagall. :)

Edited by vida
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is it just me or does the wand Harry is holding there look like a plank of wood?

Anyway i agree with everyone who says that the Ron/Harry friendship has definitely been understated in the movies and replaced with more Harry/Hermione friendship moments. If you just watched the movies you would be certain that Harry and Hermione are much better friends (and closer) than Harry and Ron will ever be and as we all know this isn't the case.

I feel sometimes that this is the neglected ship, as we try to defend our canon couple (R/Hr) so much and we tend to forget how important Ron is in Harry's life -and viceversa.

The only time that Harry felt completely defeated was when Ron left. And the only time that Ron felt absolutely miserable is when he saw Voldemort's vision of Harry's 'betrayal'.

Both Harry and Hermione felt miserable when they were apart from Ron, so I guess who they both felt more connected with, is clearly out of the question in the books.

I only wished the filmakers would have kept Harry/Ron's conversation oafter the locket is destroyed. It would have been a nice touch to show the audience who Harry's best friend truly is.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Harry and Ron's friendship is one of the many reasons why I love these books so much.

I'm just sad that the movies didn't quite reached their friendship/bromance.

And in FanFiction I loved reading some H/R slash ff. :lostit:

I've heard that some FF ship them romantically.

I just would have liked for the movies to capture their friendship a bit more accurately. They've always come so short compared to the books!

A good example is 'The Silver Doe'.

The most profound conversation that book!H/R have ever had and what do the moviemakers do? Slash it.

WHYYYY???

I've heard that some FF ship them romantically.

I just would have liked for the movies to capture their friendship a bit more accurately. They've always come so short compared to the books!

A good example is 'The Silver Doe'.

The most profound conversation that book!H/R have ever had and what do the moviemakers do? Slash it.

WHYYYY???

Oddly enough i actually think Harry is more romantically attracted to Ron than he ever would be to Hermione.

Oddly enough i actually think Harry is more romantically attracted to Ron than he ever would be to Hermione.

LOL I agree too. Not to undermine H/Hr's friendship in any way, but in some ways I think the dynamics of Harry and Ron's relationship would work better in a romantic situation.

Vida, I think there's quite a lot of H/R fanfic around. If you're interested, Sam (Eruditewitch from the old forum) has a few on FF.net which are quite good if you don't mind the R rating :P