The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma portraits by Mark Demsteader

http://www.emmawatson.com/en/Projects/Mark-Demsteader-Portraits/

Here's part of the article.

Mark has kindly agreed that 10% of all sale proceeds and one of the pieces will be donated to Emma’s charity of choice, CAMFED International, a charity which supports the education of girls and economic empowerment of young women in Africa.

The chance for her work to help those less fortunate than her was the icing on the cake for Emma. She said, “I am really excited that Mark said he would support CAMFED International with this exhibition, too. They are a great charity doing an amazing job educating girls in Africa.†You can find out more about CAMFED and the work they do at uk.camfed.org

Edited by KS987

Just got the memo today. I think it's great proceeds help others in need; Emma seems so much as the charitable type.

The artwork itself is for lack of a better term, outstanding! Even in oil she looks freakin' gorgeous!

Now if only there would be an exhibition in the States.

These are too freakin amazing-that guy is very talented!!! What really is even more awesome is that proceeds will be donated to Emma's charity. The girl doesn't cease to amaze me. Such an awesome role model for everyone :)

They are so beautiful :) If I had money laying around I'd probably get one myself... But I'd be freaked to have people buy them if I were Emma ^_^ Since she's not just a model, they are portraits of her specifically, must be weird to think people have your portrait hanging over their mantelpieces or whatever haha...

It doesnt surprise me that already that many have sold :) Again this is just so cool!! Yes if I had money lying around that I could spend I would totally buy one! Lucky people who get these :)

I really liked them. I can't explain but they were not "just paintings of Emma" they have that mysterious something in them. Like in the one where the paint looks wet and is dripping. That one was my favourite.

They are so beautiful :) If I had money laying around I'd probably get one myself... But I'd be freaked to have people buy them if I were Emma ^_^ Since she's not just a model, they are portraits of her specifically, must be weird to think people have your portrait hanging over their mantelpieces or whatever haha...

I think it's less freaky than people having posters of her all over their bedrooms...

^^who hasn't? that still doesn't justify buying a piece of art with a celebrity's face on it. I don't support pop art, just like I don't support pop music. :tongue0020:

Edited by halleluJah
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
+Emma talks Mark Demsteader and CAMFED

EMMA WATSON is the star of a new exhibition by one of her favourite artists, Mark Demsteader. In this exclusive interview, the actress tells us how it compared to her Vogue cover shoot - and about the education charity the sale will benefit.

Tell us about how you came across Mark's work?

"I grew up in Oxford and used to walk past a gallery on my way home from school that sold his work. I would stop and look at his pieces, and try and figure out how he did them for hours. I've always followed his work."

How did the collaboration come about?

"I went home to Oxford and saw his pieces again and realised I should really try and buy some of his work. I haven't really bought any art yet, even though I love it. So I contacted Mark about buying a drawing as a present to myself for my 21st birthday. When I emailed him he asked if I would let him paint me, and that was how the exhibition came about. I was slightly hesitant at first, not because I didn't want to work with Mark, but simply because I wasn't sure if I was comfortable with an entire exhibition of pictures of me! But Mark said I could do it for a charity of my choice, and I really couldn't pass up the chance to actually be in one of his paintings. I am so glad I did it."

How long did you spend sitting for Mark?

"As it takes Mark several months to create the pieces, he finds it easier to work from photographs so I met him and a photographer for a day's photo shoot in north London back in January. It was a really simple shoot with just a single light to cast shadows. We took lots of pictures in a variety of poses and Mark went away and selected 30 or so to turn into paintings."

How does the process being painted compare to being photographed - like your Vogue cover shoot?

"Whilst I didn't sit for Mark as such, it was a completely different photo shoot to anything I've ever done before. It was really low-key - I did my own makeup and just brought a selection of very simple dresses for the silhouette. Mark did the lighting. Quite different to my British Vogue cover shoot in 2010 which involved a huge team of professionals!"

SEE EMMA ON THE COVER OF VOGUE

What do you think of the finished works?

"I am thrilled with how they have come out; they are beautiful. Mark is so talented - I wish I had a fraction of his skill!"

Which is your favourite?

"It is very hard for me to choose a favourite as they are all beautiful. However I think my favourite is the oil painting in a yellow dress."

Will you buy one?

"I absolutely would have bought one but Mark was very generous and actually gave me one of the paintings as a thank you. He gave me the oil painting I mentioned above."

Tell us about the charity the sale will benefit.

"CAMFED works with girls in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Ghana and Tanzania. Without their efforts, millions of girls in these countries wouldn't be able to go to school to get an education and to improve their and their family's lives, and this is mainly due to poverty. Families in poorer rural areas in Africa simply can't afford to buy books or pay school fees for all their children, so they have to make the difficult choice as to which of their children should receive an education. Girls are rarely chosen as traditionally it has always been perceived that boys had a better chance of getting a paid job after graduation. I'm lucky enough to live in a country that gives me an equal right to my schooling: I've never had to contend with the kind of prejudice and sexual discrimination women in these countries deal with every day. My education has been so empowering, and has given me such stability and independence, and the idea of giving other girls the opportunities I have been lucky enough to have makes me very happy. CAMFED works extremely hard to raise money to sponsor girls through primary school, secondary school, college and professional schools to give them the opportunities they might otherwise have missed. Not only does this allow girls in these areas to better achieve their potential academically and in their careers, it also improves their quality of life in other ways, through education about HIV for example. It is a sustainable and long term solution to some very difficult problems, and by supporting these young girls is able to make a huge difference. It is a fantastic charity and I hope to work with them further in the future."

source