The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Travel to Europe

Hey mates!How are you?

I post this topic here,because there seems to be alotta people from the countries mentioned below or have been to there.If this is the wrong place to post this,please transfer or delete it.It's just okay,thank you.

I'm going to visit Europe in the coming July as an exchange student.The major routine is Paris→Lyon→Provence→Swizerland(havent known the precise destination till now)→Barcelona→Madrid.Despite the time spent in class,I still have a lot of leisure time to wander around.

About my detail info.My native language is Chinese,and I can speak fluent english and a little German.But I cant speak a single word of French and Spanish.It's not easy to pick up them within a month,isnt it?

Besides,it's my first time to come to Europe.The whole travel will take 3 weeks.Almost two weeks in France,1 day in Switzerland and the rest in Spain.

So,in a word,my major questions are:

1.What typical tourist attractions should I visit?

2.I wanna bring some gifts back for my family and friends,but I dont have a large budget.So i need some advice.

3.what should i get prepared before the depature from Shanghai?(ie:finance,culture,language etc.)The departure is probably on 10th July

4.I wanna mail some postcards to my friends when in France.Does Eiffle Tower or do any other tourist spots provide such service?What about the fee?

I will value every reply.Thank you so much!!!!

Mia

Edited by Mia

Hey mates!How are you?

I post this topic here,because there seems to be alotta people from the countries mentioned below or have been to there.If this is the wrong place to post this,please transfer or delete it.It's just okay,thank you.

I'm going to visit Europe in the coming July as an exchange student.The major routine is Paris→Lyon→Provence→Swizerland(havent known the precise destination till now)→Barcelona→Madrid.Despite the time spent in class,I still have a lot of leisure time to wander around.

About my detail info.My native language is Chinese,and I can speak fluent english and a little German.But I cant speak a single word of French and Spanish.It's not easy to pick up them within a month,isnt it?

Besides,it's my first time to come to Europe.The whole travel will take 3 weeks.Almost two weeks in France,1 day in Switzerland and the rest in Spain.

So,in a word,my major questions are:

1.What typical tourist attractions should I visit?

2.I wanna bring some gifts back for my family and friends,but I dont have a large budget.So i need some advice.

3.what should i get prepared before the depature from Shanghai?(ie:finance,culture,language etc.)The departure is probably on 10th July

4.I wanna mail some postcards to my friends when in France.Does Eiffle Tower or do any other tourist spots provide such service?What about the fee?

I will value every reply.Thank you so much!!!!

Mia

If I was you, I'd pick up a book with a few common French phrases and learn them. Just a few tourist phrases. The majority of people in Paris will speak some English, but beware that you should at least make the effort to speak to them in French first. They are very proud of their language and it's not unheard of to speak to a French person in English and they' just walk off and ignore you. I'm niot so sure about Spanish, just do the same and pick up a few common phrases. You shouldn't really have any problems in Madrid or Barcelona.

If I was you I'd visit the obvious places like the Eiffel tower, arc de triomphe etc, but also go to the louvre if you can. Generally all European cities have lots of cultural sites, if that's what you're interested in, ie churches, palaces and the like.

They'll be lots of places to send post cards from near the Eiffel tower. If you ask the person selling the postcards, they'll almost certainly speak English and wil direct you to somewhere you can send them.

Before you leave just make sure you've got plenty of euros, 1 currency for all these countries makes it quite easy. I'm not sure what visa requirements you'll need from whe you live but make sure you've got that all sorted before you go! You'll have a brilliant timel, it's just a shame you couldn't come to London as well!

If I was you, I'd pick up a book with a few common French phrases and learn them. Just a few tourist phrases. The majority of people in Paris will speak some English, but beware that you should at least make the effort to speak to them in French first. They are very proud of their language and it's not unheard of to speak to a French person in English and they' just walk off and ignore you. I'm niot so sure about Spanish, just do the same and pick up a few common phrases. You shouldn't really have any problems in Madrid or Barcelona.

If I was you I'd visit the obvious places like the Eiffel tower, arc de triomphe etc, but also go to the louvre if you can. Generally all European cities have lots of cultural sites, if that's what you're interested in, ie churches, palaces and the like.

They'll be lots of places to send post cards from near the Eiffel tower. If you ask the person selling the postcards, they'll almost certainly speak English and wil direct you to somewhere you can send them.

Before you leave just make sure you've got plenty of euros, 1 currency for all these countries makes it quite easy. I'm not sure what visa requirements you'll need from whe you live but make sure you've got that all sorted before you go! You'll have a brilliant timel, it's just a shame you couldn't come to London as well!

thank you mate!

Given a chance to choose a destination in Europe,I would undoubtedly choose London.haha.It's so beautiful.

Seems that you had a nice trip in Paris.I feel more excited and cant wait the trip to get started.Do you have any recommendation on purchasing gifts?Above all,I cant bring the Eiffle Tower home tho. :rolleyes:

About the language,I may spend days to learn a little in case unexpected events and hope to pick up some more French during the trip.

Anyway,thank you for the reply

Regarding gifts, no you can't bring the Eiffel tower home! But when I was there a few years back I remember there being lots of people selling miniature models of the Eiffel tower for only a few euros, which were quite novel. Paris is one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world, you won't have trouble finding gifts for people!

• 12 years later...