The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Hey all,

Though I haven't much browsed this forum section in quite a while, I noticed that there isn't a topic on "travel reading", or leisure-reading, and I was curious: What are your favourite books (fiction or non-fiction) that you enjoy reading which have to do with travelling or vacationing?

This summer, I am embarking on a reading program in which I have to choose five books to read. Though I have knowledge on certain cultures, I (hate to say it) have hardly any knowledge on travelling or an abroad experience. Can anyone mention their favourite titles and a brief of what the books/novels are about?

I always like diverse reading, and flip between fiction and non-fiction all the time. ;)

Well you can't talk about travel writing without mentioning Bill Bryson. He is absolutely brilliant, and his books genuinely make me laugh. He has several books about various countries and continents, and while they are from the earl nineties, they are still relevant today. Basically the premise of each book that I've read of his is that he goes around the loads of cities, towns and villages, commenting about what he sees and throwing in witty anecdotes here and there. I can't really do him justice, you'll just have to pick up one of his books. They are utterly brilliant.