The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Question about The Lord of the Rings...

i have a question about the Orcs in the lord of the rings...were they CGI or were there actual people inside costumes? i was trying to figure it out because they look so real then i thought well who would want to be inside a costume like that i'd have trouble breathing lol

or maybe its half CGI?

A mixture of both. Take the Two Towers for instance, most of the up close shots were people in costume and make up, however the giant streaming mass of Orcs were all CGI. I remember watching the various extra videos on the extended edition and them complaining about how hard it was to dry out the costumes for the Two Towers due to the rain they added :P.

A mixture of both. Take the Two Towers for instance, most of the up close shots were people in costume and make up, however the giant streaming mass of Orcs was all CGI. I remember watching the extras on the extended edition and them complaining about how hard it was to dry out the costumes for the Two Towers due to the rain they added :P.

i would always think how can somebody be inside such a costume i feel bad for them ,even though they were evil they did great acting lol

did you read the books? were there Orcs in The Hobbit? because i know that movie is coming out soon

i would always think how can somebody be inside such a costume i feel bad for them ,even though they were evil they did great acting lol

did you read the books? were there Orcs in The Hobbit? because i know that movie is coming out soon

lol don't feel too bad for them, sure the costume and make up may take awhile to apply and take off but it's a pretty laid back job, I mean you get to be a freaking Orc and get paid for it!!!!! If that's not the pinnacle of awesomeness I don't know what is.

I have, and indeed there are (however more goblins rather than Orcs, even though I believe the Orc King is featured in this one). Any who I'd suggest reading the book and the original LOTR books if you haven't already. The books contain far far more content then the movies ever will.

lol don't feel too bad for them, sure the costume and make up may take awhile to apply and take off but it's a pretty laid back job, I mean you get to be a freaking Orc and get paid for it!!!!! If that's not the pinnacle of awesomeness I don't know what is.

I have, and indeed there are (however more goblins rather than Orcs, even though I believe the Orc King is featured in this one). Any who I'd suggest reading the book and the original LOTR books if you haven't already. The books contain far far more content then the movies ever will.

hahaha yeah thats true

and yeah awhile ago i read the Hobbit and for some reason i stopped in the middle of it maybe i'll pick it up again

i just loved how the movies percieved them and i love the music

and the cast was well casted lol

You should definitely read ALL the books concerning Tolkien's Middle-Earth.

The Hobbit is great to prepare you for what is to come on a small scale, the LotR trilogy is like the main fare....and the Silmarillion will add an almost infinite depth and background to a story that spans millennia!

There's enough ideas in the Silmarillion for another five movies at least!

You should definitely read ALL the books concerning Tolkien's Middle-Earth.

The Hobbit is great to prepare you for what is to come on a small scale, the LotR trilogy is like the main fare....and the Silmarillion will add an almost infinite depth and background to a story that spans millennia!

There's enough ideas in the Silmarillion for another five movies at least!

is Silmarillion the book that his son completed or something?

^ I think he edited it and put all the stories together in their current form, yeah.....it's not as easy to read as LotR and is more like a chronicle sometimes....but it will open up entirely new perspectives on Middle-Earth.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

The Silmarillion, the book of unfinished tales etc.. are all compiled from J.R.R Tolkiens notes by his son, Christopher Tolkien, they are not really narratives in the traditional sense, but are much closer to a historical record and are primarily written to explain the back story to the races and there respective languages and customs (Middle earth was rather a playground for Tolkien to exercise his linguistic muscles and his writings on it very much had that in mind) so they are not always the easiest or most gripping reads, but they are worth it, the mythology discussed is every bit as engrossing as the norse/celtic etc. mythologies that he looked at for inspiration