The Emma-Watson.net Forum

In light of the recent cyber attacks on Sony's PlayStation Network, Sony Pictures, Nintendo, and most recently the IMF (International Monetary Fund). What are you guys' thoughts on computer hackers and cyber criminals. The US Congress is trying (or have already succeeded) in creating a bill which makes any sort of cyber attack on the US government computer/network systems a legitimate act of war and thus must be treated as such. This scenario is actually targeted more toward fears that the People's Republic of China may be trying to hack into US government networks and/or sabotage the networks.

Aside from that, vigilante hacker groups such as Anonymous have been in the news recently regarding the breaching and possibly stealing sensitive and personal information. Millions of PlayStation Network users' personal information have been breached and may be at risk during the attack a couple months ago.

Another group known as Lulz Security has also been blamed in the recent cyber attacks on Sony Pictures and Nintendo. Both attacks were breaches in which personal and confidential company information may have been stolen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13642145

Currently the IMF is facing a cyber attack on its database systems. They believe the attack was to create a "digital insider presence" on their networks and databases; essentially digital espionage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13740591

So what are y'alls thoughts on 'cyber-terrorism'? Should it be treated as a legitimate attack on the nation itself? Are they simply criminals with nothing better to do or are they a serious threat to homeland, personal, as well as economic security?

There are differences imo. If a group of hackers decide to take out the servers of right-wing parties, like in Germany, I have no problem with that. Hackers who attack my computer for fun to screw it up, well thats not very helpful.

I wouldn't go that far that it's an act of war or anything similar. Afterall our own states do something very similar (save your emails, phone calls, text messages etc).

If the hackers are trying to gain access to Goverment data about the military, or the CIA, FBI, and other law enforcement agencies, I'd call that Terrorism.

There was a report in the paper, think it was last week, that here in the UK, they had repelled approx 1,000 attacks against classified information, in the past 12 months.

Yeah I agree with the posts above. Correct me if I'm rambling rubbish I might not have read properly but I couldn't class the PS3 PSN going down due to hackers terrorism. It was just someone's idea of gaining so little for a joke. If it was government then that would be serious but no terrorism. But yeah I agree with 'I am not Purple' it's not an act of war either.

I just want to warn everyone to change their passwords and remove unnecessary accounts on ANY website, even if you haven't been there for years.

Minecraft, EscapistMagazine websites and Eve Online servers have also just been hacked. (Less then an hour ago)

I am already changing my top priority passwords, just to be sure. (E-mail, Youtube, etc.)

These guys need to get caught, now.

I just don't see the point.

I imagine 50 year old obese virgins sitting in their parents basement, munching on cheetos and going, "Yay, I cracked another website! Now I have the power...to get people's information! I am a loser!"

Makes me wonder why these people haven't been taken down yet? Anonymous...well, nobody is anonymous on the internet...

Don't you find it to be a coincidence that the same week when the PSN database was hacked and millions of user information was breached and possibly stolen, Osama bin Laden was shot. :ph34r:

I find it to be a coincidence, but only that.

Certainly, I don't believe that someone on the inside was responsible for the hacking, as well as planning the attack that ended up with Osama dead. :unsure: That would be very highly unlikely.

I find it to be a coincidence, but only that.

Certainly, I don't believe that someone on the inside was responsible for the hacking, as well as planning the attack that ended up with Osama dead. :unsure: That would be very highly unlikely.

Yeah but it would've been funny. They find out OBL was a regular player of MW2, the people at Anonymous sent that info to the Pentagon and the commanders there are all: "We need to seriously pwn this n00b!"

I guess my sense of humour is hard to get over the interwebs.

Edited by sirbenedictvs

i myself have been hacked, by a paedophile that went to my school. my personal view on cyber crime/terrorism, is that its disgusting and should be dealt with far more sternly than it is at the moment, people should be alerted of local hackers and also the hacking groups. law enforcement agencies shoud be cracking down on a hacker as soon as they either spot something happening, or the hacker is reported to them.

lol. Not every hacker is a 'bad' hacker. Most of them don't hack into personal computers etc. They are a smaller percentage.

Yeah, and not every hacker is a pedophile, either.

I just don't see the point...? Hacking into Paris Hilton's cell phone and stealing numbers, I just don't see the point.

Yeah, and not every hacker is a pedophile, either.

I just don't see the point...? Hacking into Paris Hilton's cell phone and stealing numbers, I just don't see the point.

I'm sure I can find a use for the names and numbers on her phone... :ph34r:

---

In all seriousness, some of these breaches are serious. Namely the breach of PSN, not only names and customer information of PSN members were stolen but also their account and credit card information. Identity theft and fraud can come out of this. Whether or not the group Anonymous was trying to teach Sony a lesson is a different argument, the fact is that they committed a federal crime.

Germany launched a new government agency; 'Nationales Cyber-Abwehrzentrum' (National Cyberdefence Centre).

Was this recent in light of the recent cyber attacks?

----

Well this is getting ridiculous... <_<

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13777129

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13787229

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13758361

2nd Link, I know it's only the CIA's public website but if anything was hacked past that. There may be a threat of losing sensitive national security information.

Pretty soon this is going to turn into freakin' Die Hard 4.

Edited by sirbenedictvs
  • 3 weeks later...

I dont know if this has anything to do with this opic but a few weeks ago I read that British hackers hacked into the al-Quida's online news letter. There was a section thathad instructions to make a home-made bomb, they replaced it with cupcake making instructions. Way to go Britain!!! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know if this has anything to do with this opic but a few weeks ago I read that British hackers hacked into the al-Quida's online news letter. There was a section thathad instructions to make a home-made bomb, they replaced it with cupcake making instructions. Way to go Britain!!! :lol:

woop, go us, thats what GCHQ is for anyway

LulzSec and Anonymous are a big deal. People might not give a shit now, but when the internet starts to get restrictions on it and rules by the government. people are going to be pissed. I know for a fact that anonymous can do whatever they want. They rule the internet. If they want your website of the internet, it is off. If they want YOU off the internet, then say goodbye to the computer. If they aren't stopped eearly on then we could face an even bigger world wide crisiss

LulzSec and Anonymous are a big deal. People might not give a shit now, but when the internet starts to get restrictions on it and rules by the government. people are going to be pissed. I know for a fact that anonymous can do whatever they want. They rule the internet. If they want your website of the internet, it is off. If they want YOU off the internet, then say goodbye to the computer. If they aren't stopped eearly on then we could face an even bigger world wide crisiss

the US govt have been trying to stop them for years, have they gotten anywhere? nope. what really needs to happen is for more worldwide security agencies ie. GCHQ, MI6, CIA etc to get involved, eventually the Anonymous hackers will nnot be able to repel the counter-hacks from the govt agencies then we obtain their IP adress and track them down.

Yea, it's obvious that the governments of the world aren't trying hard enough. Anonymous are not smarter then any government, but it's because of Anonymous' high numbers that make them hard to trace. If all the governments in the UN banded together to try and stop Anonymous, they would all be royaly screwed.