The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Anyone see and/or heard about this movie? I've seen a few trailers and I know it's playing at the Angelica theatre near me but I don't know what to expect going into the movie. All I know is that it's about the meaning of life seen through the eyes of a family... but that's it :mellow: From the trailer, it looks kinda deep but almost like a total mindf*** like 2001 Space Odyssey was.

I just read an article about it in the local paper! They said it was stunning looks wise and interesting, but hard to follow and boring at times. The person who wrote the article said he left the theatre sort of confused. That the movie asks a lot of questions, but never bothers to answer then. Hope that helps lol. Looking forward to hearing your view of it!

I may see it tomorrow, Thursday or Saturday night. I'll def post what I think about it.

On a side note, does anyone live near an Angelika Film Centre or theatre that screens mainly independent films?

Yeah I do, we have a theatre here that only shows independent or more artistic films. Also there is a theatre in the art museum that shows many of them as well.

Doesn't seem like I'll be able to see it this weekend at the Angelika... -.- I guess I'll have to wait for the full release to the US and UK in July. I'm still quite anxious to see it though amid mixed reviews.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw it about a week ago. There were some parts where I thought they could've gotten the same point across in less time. You gotta know what you're getting yourself into before you go (which I did). I didn't have any narrative in the traditional sense. It does away with traditional cinematic language altogether. I appreciated the talent and the film making that went into this film. And the film has stayed with me. Not sure how much I liked it though. Malick is definitely an auteur.

It is a challenging film to watch. If you just want to be entertained (good story, fun), then this is not the film for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Filmed beautifully. Intuitive amalgamation of images, poetry and music.

I admire Malick’s style of film making. My favorites are Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line. However, I am afraid that most people will have a serious problem with his unconventional style and the non-linear story telling. Because films which are made with intuition (like this one) cannot be decoded by our intellect. We have to be in an intuitive and poetic state of mind and mood to be able to experience a film like The Tree Of Life or The Thin Red Line.

Mainstream film audiences will not have the patience nor be in that state of mind (or state of heart) to be able to enjoy film.

I specially loved the first 35 minutes and the final 10 minutes. Pure bliss!