The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Is your cellphone killing you?

We’re constantly surrounded by radiation – from cell and cordless phones, wi-fi internet, cell towers, powerlines, and even from our electric blankets. Could this invisible radiation cause a devastating public health crisis? Is our new technology the new tobacco or asbestos?

Every call you make on a cell or cordless phone is pumping radiation straight into your brain. Every hour your kids spend in a wi-fi enabled classroom is an hour spent immersed in a fog of electromagnetic forces. Our homes are bombarded by high-voltage power lines and from cell towers camouflaged as lamp-posts; even our hair-dryers and electric razors are exposing us to radiation.

Electromagnetic radiation is now being linked to a host of serious health problems – ranging from depression and miscarriage to Alzheimer’s disease and cancer.

Many scientists and health professionals are now warning that our long-term exposure at levels well below the existing safety standards could result in a massive global public health crisis – worse than crises caused by tobacco or asbestos because we are all exposed.

Source

What do you think?

I think it's hard to tell at this stage. Mobile phones just haven't been around long enough for us to have any conclusive evidence that they are harmful, and conflicting reports are being released by the media all the time. I personally believe that it's unlikely. Even if we lived in a world without mobile phones and wifi, we'd still be constantly exposed to natural radiation from all around. Unless we get more research on the matter that proves they are harmful, I'll be unlikely to change my usage habits.

Imo the radiation can be harmful. As yorkshire pointed out tho, we have a lot natural radiation. Especially when we fly in in an airplane. But still, mobiles and everything that emits radiation does something. Let alone effect our sleep. But only time will show.

Anything can be a link to certain ailments but nothing has been made the cause. Personally, it comes down to paranoia. Even if you live without a cell-phone, wi-fi or don't fly. You receive radiation the very moment you step outside your door: the Sun. Our sun is our single most source of radiation from ultraviolet rays to gamma rays (both of which are harmful to us down to the DNA- UV waves are very minute and are small enough to penetrate our cell membranes and cause damage to DNA strands thus causing a cancer if a particular sequence is damaged or rearranged) and everything in between. IMO, this just another addition to the ever growing global health paranoia. Everything causes cancer nowadays.

Edited by sirbenedictvs

Anything in moderation can be healthy. Anything in excess can be harmful.

Take ipods, for example. I have developed tinnitus at an early age, because I've A.) Been to a lot of rock and pop concerts over the past 15 years, probably around 30 different artists or more, and B.) because I wore headphones, first with a walkman, then a discman, now an ipod.

It's extremely painful for me to even vacuum the living room rug, because the buzzing in my ears drives me crazy. As a musician, this bothers me, because I rely on my ears when I write songs. And now I wear musicians earplugs to concerts and keep the ipod noise level down to the lowest possible setting.

My point is that the body is a machine, and too much of anything is bad for you. You can go blind from watching too much tv, or spending too much time on the computer. You can get carpal tunnel from the computer. Those kindle devices? Really bad for your eyes. Pick up a book instead.

I have used cell phones since 2002/03, and haven't had any adverse effects. My mom originally got it for me, because I was living at home then, and had just gotten my first job. She wanted a way to contact me in case of an emergency, or for me to contact her.

And it's been really useful. I keep in contact with all my friends over the cell phone, use it to call family, and use it if I get stranded or lost. It's a great invention; you just can't use it in excess. I am not surprised they're saying this, but if you use it wisely, you're not going to get radiation poisoning.