The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Chat Area

For some reason I receive and error message and am not able to access the chat area on this forum.

It says... "Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

[#CHAT-02] You do not have access to our chat room. "

I could not yet find in the help files why I'm not getting access, so if anyone could be any help, it would be appreciated. Thanks. In the mean time, I'll keep looking.

• 7 months later...

Apart from the original problem there has been connection issues with the chatroom. I only noticed it happening in the recent weeks, though. At the chat-server restart (0800-GMT), we would refresh the page but keep getting the same error:

[#CSTART-0] There was an error connecting with the chat room. Please notify an administrator.

I also sometimes get an error stating that the room is full.

Is it an issue with our individual connections?

If I may add, there sometimes is a discrepancy between the number of people in chat as stated in the main bar above and the number/names in chat listed below near the active users list. Why does this happen?

Apart from the original problem there has been connection issues with the chatroom. I only noticed it happening in the recent weeks, though. At the chat-server restart (0800-GMT), we would refresh the page but keep getting the same error:

[#CSTART-0] There was an error connecting with the chat room. Please notify an administrator.

I also sometimes get an error stating that the room is full.

Is it an issue with our individual connections?

Sorry, I thought I answered this. The chat is hosted by Invision, on their servers. The connecting error could mean they are having trouble at their end, or it could be network problems between you and the chat server. Either way, there's not much I can do about a CSTART-0 error.

When you get the room full message, do you recall how many were in the chat? I've only subscribed to a 20 user limit. Also see my next answer. If it's close to 20, the server might still be counting people who have left.

If I may add, there sometimes is a discrepancy between the number of people in chat as stated in the main bar above and the number/names in chat listed below near the active users list. Why does this happen?

Short answer is I don't know. Which one is more accurate? If I had to guess, I would say the number displayed in the tab might show people who entered and then left again and it might contine to count them for a while. Or it could be that the list below only shows people who are actively chatting, while the one on the tab might show anyone that has the chat window open.

When you get the room full message, do you recall how many were in the chat? I've only subscribed to a 20 user limit. Also see my next answer. If it's close to 20, the server might still be counting people who have left.

Well, I believe the most we've ever gotten recently was 15 people but that was fine. I was just questioning why an error like that would occur when there was only 5 or so users in chat. Again this is around the time the CSTART-0 errors are occurring.

I guess that since it is an error with Invision there's not much any of us can do. Thanks for answering, dook.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.