The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Heartbeat Abortion Bill  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I've been following up on this Bill which apparently the Ohio House of Representatives just passed. For those who are not aware of what's it's about or what's going on, here's some recent news about it:

On Tuesday, the Ohio House of Representatives passed a bill that would make abortions after a fetal heartbeat is detected illegal.

Heartbeats normally become detectable once the fetus reaches about six weeks.

The bill passed the House 54 to 43...and most Republicans voted for the bill...which next moves on to the Republican held Senate.

If the bill makes it through the Senate and becomes law, it would eventually become a direct challenge to the 1973 Supreme Court Case ruling on Roe vs.. Wade which declares abortions legal up until the fetus would be viable outside of the womb...normally in the 22nd to 24th week of development.

The Ohio House also passed two other abortion restrictions Tuesday, one that would ban late-term abortions after 20 weeks if a doctor determines that the fetus is viable outside the womb. Another bill excludes abortion coverage from the state insurance exchange created by the federal health care law.

The late-term ban already was passed by the Ohio Senate.

Toledo on the Move

Now that you've read it, what are your opinions about it? Are you for or against it? Do you think this can overturn Roe vs. Wade? Do you think it's unconstitutional?

I don't get why they bothered with this one. Roe vs. Wade states that there is no limit on first trimester abortion and this rule sets a limit to it by making it 6 weeks instead of 12. They can't override the US Supreme Court.

It seems that the Ohio Right to Life, the state's largest anti-abortion organization, has come out against the bill. I think the point is to challenge Roe all the way to the Supreme Court. They think the current justices will overturn Roe.

They know that Federal courts routinely strike down blanket state bans on abortions, and this one would only strengthen Roe v. Wade as precedent when it does get struck down.

I don't think the bill should become a law. To me, even if the heart does beat and makes the baby "more human", abortion can't really hurt it or something, it doesn't feel anything. I don't consider it as killing someone/something really. 6 weeks is not enough for the "mother". It needs time to realise you're pregnant and to take the decision you consider good for yourself. It's better to end it than to give it birth and it feels miserable with a family which can't take care of it properly for some reason (but then it's probably having an opinion about abortion in general and not really about this bill, sorry).

I have been watching this topic very closely as well.

I am always on the fence about abortion. But, my feeling is this. Every women should be able to decide for herself. I never really understood why abortion has a place in politics. I don't think someone should be able to make these types of decisions for other people. However, that doesn't mean I am pro-choice either. I think that it is important to have some sort of ruling to prevent abortion from becoming an every day sort of thing. Abortions have their place in society, but its important to keep that place small.

For example, I wouldn't want women to think that abortion is ever a good choice. I think it should be the last choice. I wouldn't want women to be able to have abortions simply because they don't want the baby. I know many women who can't give birth to their own children and would more then happy to adopt more. There are many many women out here who cant give birth to their own children. I much rather someone choose adoption over abortion. (Not to say adoption is perfect either, but its a better option in my mind.)

But, I do recognize that sometime abortion is the only option. My favorite teacher in the whole entire world had to get an abortion because her baby was developing inside her without a skull. This is a very rare case and there is nothing that can be done. The baby would die upon birth no matter what. Thankfully she was able to get an abortion. If she was not legally allowed to then imagine what her life would have been like? She would have carried a baby around for 9 months knowing it would die. There is not much worse then that.

In conclusion, I am on the fence. Like everything in life, abortion has a time and place. As for my being pro-choice or pro-life... that I can't answer. But, I also agree with you Tara. I dont really get why they are doing this now. Pretty much the same as Roe V. Wade.

Abortion is a serious issue. In my opinion, women should only have an abortion, if they are advised by a doctor, that it is the best option for them. Perhaps continuing the pregnancy might be a health risk to the mother.

The other reasons women have abortions is for social/economic reasons. Some have abortions, so that they can carry on with their career. Or they have 6 or 7 kids, and just can't afford to bring up another. Each woman's case for having an abortion will be different, whether you agree with them or not, it should be their choice.

Teenage pregancy/abortions is another big issue, do they have an abortion ? or become teenage mums ?

Teenage pregancy/abortions is another big issue, do they have an abortion ? or become teenage mums ?

I feel bad for teenage mothers, to be honest. They are much more likely to leave school, receive inadequate prenatal care, or rely on public assistance to raise a child. Babies born to young mothers are more likely to be low-birth-weight, to have childhood health problems and to be hospitalized than are those born to older mothers.

Abortions are safer to women, with less than 0.5% risk of serious complications and do not affect a woman's future ability to become pregnant or give birth.

Once you get into the problem of denying a woman/teenage girl control of her body and her civil rights is where you'd get in trouble. It all comes down to the US being a self proclaimed "free" nation with no intention of denying people their individual freedoms.

Edited by Bagel of Death

I really dont know where I stand on this. Personally I dont think I could live with myself if I had an abortion, however I do not judge people who have had them as I understand its not a decision most take lightly.

6 weeks really isnt a long time at all...unless your planning a pregnancy you dont normally find out until 4 or 5 weeks and lets face it these are yhe people who may consider an abortion. If your making abortion illegal after 6 weeks you might as well make it illegal. A woman needs time to think about what is the right thing to do.

Also if you did make it illegal, very desperate women would seek illegal abortions which are very dangerous.

Abortions need to be controlled, there does need to be a limit on when you can have one (unless there is a medical reason) but that needs to be reasonable so that a woman can weigh up her options. I also think it should be harder for women to use abortions as contraception, my friend works with a girl who has had a number of abortions and still doesnt use contraception.

^^With all due respect to your opinion, men are also responsible for contraception, you can't blame it all on the women. Also if a woman was raped, and became pregnant, which is too horrible to contemplate. Then I think an abortion would be justified.

honestly i think abortion is completely horrible. i mean it's the women's fault that she gets pregnant even if she doesn't want to. Unless, of course, it was rape then give the baby up for adoption.

Give the baby up for adoption? Trying to get over an abortion is already extremly hard but carrying the baby for 9 months and being separate to it after all this time, seeing its face at birth, must be even worse. And then, you can be sure you never forget. I'm not sure it is a solution really.

Edited by Emm@

honestly i think abortion is completely horrible. i mean it's the women's fault that she gets pregnant even if she doesn't want to. Unless, of course, it was rape then give the baby up for adoption.

Thats real easy for a man to say.

personally I agree that abortion is horrible which is why I would never have one myself, however I would not push that on other people. Abortion isnt something women go into lightly, I do believe women should have the choice.

Babba O'riley, accept that sometimes abortion is the only answer.

I'm not an Ohioan, but Kasich is a jerk. A one term governor for sure. I wish politicians (or Conservatives in general) would concentrate on jobs, taxes and the economy. All this bill will do is add to the poverty that is slowly eating away at out lower income families.

This abortion business is a huge turn off.

There was this debate at my uni and one thing I noticed...pro-lifers consider the "danger to the mother's health" clause a cop-out. They think that her health is of little or no importance, and whatever, as long as she has a fair chance of survival, that ought to be good enough.

However in this case, even the life of the mother is not a consideration. She cannot have an abortion to save her life. It is the ultimate death panel, where strangers decide to deny you life-saving medical care and watch you die.

Go figure...

• 4 weeks later...

I think the bill what the Ohio governor signed is right. We don't have the right freedom to do abortion. Because it won't change the fact that it is killing an innocent life. There are a lot of women nowadays that they want to take abortion just because they don't like to have a baby yet, and that's unacceptable. On the other hand, we can have abortion but that right must be balanced: protecting prenatal life and protecting the mother's health. Saying that these state interests become stronger over the course of a pregnancy, the Court resolved this balancing test by tying state regulation of abortion to the mother's current trimester of pregnancy. I based my perspective in roe v. wade.

I found my information here: Ohio bans late term abortions