The Emma-Watson.net Forum

i was talkign to this guy once.. not on here but somewhere else

he said it was a sin to like harry potter because it is witchcraft

do you think it is really that bad to like harry potter?? and be a christian

btw Idk where else to post this at :)

I once had a woman walk in where I worked and scoff at me for suggesting Harry Potter as a good family/kids movie, her reasoning was that she doesn't teach her kids about the devil witchcraft. Incidentally she also didn't like any disney movies, especially ones with dinosaurs for a bunch of other odd religious reasons. At the end of the day that's their opinion.

I'm not christian, I'm not overly religious anymore, so I won't claim a giant amount of knowledge on this subject. I'd like to think at the end of the day that HP is pure entertainment and nothing more. Watching it, enjoying it, doesn't mean you are defying god. At the end of the day he can say what he wants, you can say what you want. I'm sure god is pretty accepting of multiple views.

It's not a sin to like Harry Potter :/, when i was younger (about 9 at the time) i got into the harry potter series, and my uncle (who is very religious) tried to convince my mom that by reading the Potter series I was going to be worshiping the devil and all sorts of nonsense. I'm 20 years old now, and I don't worship the devil, so yea it may be their opinion, but when saying that reading the books and watching the movies is a sin, that's just pushing it imo

Yeah, I almost got into an argument with a priest once about HP and witchcraft. Other than that, he was a cool guy. But I really, REALLY don't think that it's a sin AT ALL. The "witchcraft" in the book isn't actually witchcraft at all. Sarah, I posted a thread on Wicca and Paganism here, you should go check it out if you need to.

I think kids understand the difference between fantasy and reality and parents shouldnt stress at all.

^exactly and thanks I will Kar and Yeah it pisses me off that PEople say that Harry potters witchcraft maybe if you watched it once you would see it is just enterimant like anything else out there...

Some People take things way to far and it pisses me off

this guy told me it is bad when harry potter was speaking in snake in the second movie

This is something that occurs in the Jewish world too, many many people think it's sinful because of witchcraft.

I actually have a funny story on this subject. I use to go to sleep away camp every summer. There is color war every year at the end of the summer. My last summer there was when deathly hallows had just come out. Everyone at camp had Harry potter on their mind. We even started to play our own version of quidditch!! This was a Jewish camp so they decided to start teaching about how many people think Harry potter is sinful and how witch craft is wrong in Judaism. Sure enough it escalated to the point where they told us rabbis had forbidden anything to do with Harry potter. They said every camper had to give up anything they owned that had to do with Harry potter. Tons of kids had books and all kinds of things. They took my friends iPod because it had a lightning bolt on the back. It was crazy!!!! Since we were so far away from home everyone thought it was serious!! Well one night it got so bad and they had collected so many books that they decided to have a book burning. (we didn't know at the time but they didn't actually burn anyone's books). They threw in old random books that people had left at camp, but everyone thought it was Harry potter books. We were all freaking out!!!! Then it was announced that it was color war break out and the end.

Moral of the sorry is, many Jews also think it's sinful. But, most recognize that it's not because it's just a fictional story. I mean none of us are actually believing that it exists.

Being a fan of Harry Potter is not sinful at all, its just a form of entertainment.

If you like the book/films, so what!!, it does not make you a devil worshipper, or someone who is evil.

People who say that it is, seem to me to be very narrow minded.

You appear to have stumbled upon one of those stupid Christians. Im a Christian dont get me wrong, but there are some really dumb ones out there.

No way that liking Harry Potter is a sin, if you were to practice witchcraft however, that would be a sin. But reading about it is not a sin.

Under that persons logic, every time you read a story in the bible about witchcraft you would be sinning.

Dont listen to him, enjoy HP and dont worry about any of that kind of nonsense, its not worth the stress.

Also, Ive read J K Rowling is a Christian, which makes his point even more invalid.

Sarah, there have always been ppl (for centuries) who claim that this or that book or idea or story is something that is the work of the devil and will pave the way for witchcraft in this world.

If that were true, we'd all be flying around on brooms by now, don't you think?

Being a fan of Harry Potter is not sinful at all, its just a form of entertainment.

If you like the book/films, so what!!, it does not make you a devil worshipper, or someone who is evil.

People who say that it is, seem to me to be very narrow minded.

You appear to have stumbled upon one of those stupid Christians. Im a Christian dont get me wrong, but there are some really dumb ones out there.

No way that liking Harry Potter is a sin, if you were to practice witchcraft however, that would be a sin. But reading about it is not a sin.

Under that persons logic, every time you read a story in the bible about witchcraft you would be sinning.

Dont listen to him, enjoy HP and dont worry about any of that kind of nonsense, its not worth the stress.

Also, Ive read J K Rowling is a Christian, which makes his point even more invalid.

I agree with you both! The "witchcraft" on harry potter isn't very legitimate at all. There are real, practicing wiccans in the world today but they do nothing like what is in harry potter and they aren't devil worshipers. AT ALL. I just want to clarify that point loud and clear. How many times have people tried to get harry potter off shelves or out of a curriculum? I remember several years ago there was a woman from georgia who tried SO hard to get it out of schools or something and everyone was like yeah...shutup. It's all about the line between fantasy and reality, and learning what is ACTUALLY out there instead of assuming and grouping people who practice a peaceful, nature based worship system and people who actually worship the devil together. which should not happen.

Thanks for all your comments These all Helped and I was also thinking

The books are also about good and Evil They arne;t all about evil at all.. if you think about it is more about good becuase Magic can be USED FOR GOOD!!

It is not a sin to read Harry Potter books. The books do not give instruction in witchcraft. These books are as much about witchcraft as Baywatch is about life guarding.

Following is what the US Catholic Bishops have to say about the movies:

"Goblet of Fire" presents the clearest delineation between "right" and "wrong" in the series thus far, even introducing moral imperatives into the students' hocus-pocus curriculum.

Despite lots of wand-waving, the real victories are won through self-sacrifice. As Gambon's Dumbledore counsels, "We must face the choice between what is right and what is easy." Such life lessons would support the contention of Father Peter Fleetwood, a Vatican official formerly of the Pontifical Council for Culture, that "the chief concern of ... (Rowling) is to help children understand the conflict between good and evil."

The books don't encourage witchcraft, but they do encourage reading.